Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the full list of 1st party Nintendo games on sale at the moment? I know stuff like Breath of the Wild, DKCTF, & Splatoon 2 are $40, was wondering what else. I'm hoping to help my girlfriend get a Switch & a few games to go along with it & with this sale, seems like a good time.

Edit: Oh, looks like these are physical only sales. Thought it would've extended to digital as well.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok finally jumping back into Octopath Traveler, I did finish everyone's first chapter so that's good. Thank goodness for story recaps being a thing in this game. But everyone is too underleveled for chapter 2s so looks like grinding is in order. Had tressa, Cyrus, Olberic and Primrose as my team but I'm tempted to swap the latter for Haan'it.

Any advice on grinding?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ok finally jumping back into Octopath Traveler, I did finish everyone's first chapter so that's good. Thank goodness for story recaps being a thing in this game. But everyone is too underleveled for chapter 2s so looks like grinding is in order. Had tressa, Cyrus, Olberic and Primrose as my team but I'm tempted to swap the latter for Haan'it.

Any advice on grinding?
Primrose was my main. She's actually very good as a backup white/black mage. My main party for much of the game was Prim, Olberic, Ophelia and Cyrus. Especially once I unlocked the advanced classes. I think I used the desert around Primrose's Chapter 2 (if I'm remembering correctly) as a good early game grind area. It's directly outside of a town so you can keep going back to rest at an inn every few battles without it being a time-sink.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Any advice on grinding?

You don't need to grind much. Octopath is equipment oriented, not level. So you can do many areas before they are suggested presuming you have been keeping up with your gear.

If you do feel truly weak, dancers have a skill that when used procs random effects, like doubling (and more) your experience. This same ability can kinda kill or cripple you though, so just make sure you saved or had an autosave proc recently. Spam it toward the end of a battle with boosts and you can get pretty lucky.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Invisigun Reloaded is pretty dope, too bad the online is dead unless I join the discord and coordinate matches which is a bummer. On sale for 99 cents you'd think more people would be playing it right now.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Any advice on grinding?

I'm going to quote a recent post of mine:

Grinding is literally never necessary in Octopath's main story. Level, in fact, means very little in Octopath; rather, most of your power increase is going to come in the form of equipment, job/party build, and tactics. The characters who do lag behind in levels will catch up quite quickly when fighting high level enemies because of the EXP scaling, and as long as they're equipped properly, they should contribute nearly as much damage/healing (and of course breaking) as a fully-leveled character.

If you haven't, I would highly recommend going around and collecting the various sub-job shrines. The game doesn't make it obvious that you must do this to unlock the job system, counting on the player to find them naturally by exploratory curiosity.

Each region's Chapter 2 outdoor area contains a hidden sub-job shrine unlocking the job of whomever began in that region (e.g. Apothecary - Riverlands; Dancer - Sunlands; Cleric - Frostlands). These are more than a sufficient power boost to take on the Chapter 2s, even if you aren't up to the "Recommended Level" (take those with a grain of salt!).

Be sure to Steal/Purchase new equipment from NPCs in every town you come across. Their inventories are almost invariably better than the generic vendors. The game isn't shy about throwing OP equipment at thorough explorers -- one of the best axes in the game, for instance, is in Alfyn's starting town, requiring the player to defeat the doorperson, then rare steal the axe from the NPC within.

In battle, I can't overstate the importance of not just creatively utilizing the break & boost systems, but also using buffs & debuffs. Combining all of those things and creating windows of opportunity can lead to exponential damage increase. A lot of people who find the game's fights "padded" usually aren't exploiting those synergies.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So as a new Switch owner, what are some must-have eShop exclusives for the Switch? I'm looking for exclusive Switch games that are digital only.

(Also I guess eShop games that are on other platforms but have some exclusive Switch content can also count, ex: I have Hyper Light Drifter SE).

I believe both Golf Story and The Touryst are on sale right now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of love for The Touryst, it seems. I played the demo but wasn't all that enamored by it. That flavor of puzzles didn't do it for me at all.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So as a new Switch owner, what are some must-have eShop exclusives for the Switch? I'm looking for exclusive Switch games that are digital only.

(Also I guess eShop games that are on other platforms but have some exclusive Switch content can also count, ex: I have Hyper Light Drifter SE).
some threads for reference:
www.resetera.com

Best Switch eshop exclusives under £30?

I'm looking at those £30 vouchers for £25 on CDKeys and I'm wondering how to best spend it. I've only just gotten a Switch so my library is small (Bayonetta 2, Mario Rabids, Mario Bros Deluxe, Yoshi's Crafted World, Mario Odyssey). I have a gaming PC so no cross platforms.
www.resetera.com

Switch exclusives on the eShop that aren't 60 US

I ordered one last week, it's here, it's nice... But the seller I bought Mario Odyssey from only shipped it last night, so I've been playing demo games basically. Is there any exclusive stuff that isn't $60? No Wii U stuff either, and I wanted to get Voez however that's gone apparently for a...

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

I think it could help when such requests come up if the person mentions if they also game on pc or not - it's just that if you look at 3rd party exclusives, the list is longer if you look at console exclusives (games that are only on PC in addition to the Switch).

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Thanks. Grabbed it along transistor (3 bucks ) bastion (2) odd world (20) and both South Park games (35/ latest one I took deluxe ). All this for 60 seems quite good

Yeah now's a great time to pick up some serious bargains. Took the opportunity myself a few days ago.

I've only played a little of Conduct Together and it seems quite tough, at least for me; not easy at all paying attention to multiple trains going around the tracks at the same time :D but the game's concept is great.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah now's a great time to pick up some serious bargains. Took the opportunity myself a few days ago.

I've only played a little of Conduct Together and it seems quite tough, at least for me; not easy at all paying attention to multiple trains going around the tracks at the same time :D but the game's concept is great.

Try playing it with another person and dividing train and track duties. We had a blast playing it like that for hours on end.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it's challenging but doable so far (I've played through 5 worlds now). After crashing a couple of times, you'll notice that the "puzzle" often can be "solved" with 3 stars by focus on just a few spots, such as modifying the timing between trains, park one of the trains permanently, follow a specific pattern all the time, etc.

Jan 2, 2018
I finally bought Okami on the Switch! It's beautiful, that's for sure. And I heard it's quite long, so it will be a good game to complete before Xenoblade Chronicles comes out next month.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Invisigun Reloaded is pretty dope, too bad the online is dead unless I join the discord and coordinate matches which is a bummer. On sale for 99 cents you'd think more people would be playing it right now.
Played the demo and really enjoyed my time with it but then I heard the online was dead so I decided against picking it up.

I might still get it though if only for how unique the game is.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is Rise - Race for the Future a decent arcade racer? I don't mind not having online. Between that, Riptide (love their 360 Hydrothunder) and Xenon?
Yes, in case you don't know it's from the (less than) handful of French guys who are responsible for technical marvels on Nintendo handhelds (COP: The Recruit on DS - 3D GTA-style game; Driv3R on GBA, IronFall: Invasion on 3DS - the 60fps third person shooter). The game is really fun and looks nice. Compared to extremely rough ports like Xenon Racer, this is a no-brainer for arcade racing aficionados on Switch.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Hey thank you, I was also inclined to Race for the Future.
I still have Driver on Advance and the Ironfall was fun for the system. Anyway, this game seems more my alley. What about Riptide?maybe I get both since was expecting a more generous discount on Tropical Freeze (prefer it physical anyway) and just got Zombie Army.
Thanks!!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey thank you, I was also inclined to Race for the Future.
I still have Driver on Advance and the Ironfall was fun for the system. Anyway, this game seems more my alley. What about Riptide?maybe I get both since was expecting a more generous discount on Tropical Freeze (prefer it physical anyway) and just got Zombie Army.
Thanks!!
I also happen to have played and loved Riptide! Controls really well and the water physics gave me those Wave Race vibes I'd been missing for far too long. You might run into roadbloacks where you need to go back to previous races and grind upgrade points though. So be warned. Still, with how cheap it frequently is, it's another no-brainer :D

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Don't give up. It's tough but once you get the flow, it's really good.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't decide between Diablo 3 (played a lot on PS4 but loved) or Mario Raving Rabbids (already have Fire Emblem and Valkyrie Chronicles in my backlog so another tactics game seems redundant).
OR secret option 3; save the money for Trials of Mana.
What say you Era?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Can't decide between Diablo 3 (played a lot on PS4 but loved) or Mario Raving Rabbids (already have Fire Emblem and Valkyrie Chronicles in my backlog so another tactics game seems redundant).
OR secret option 3; save the money for Trials of Mana.
What say you Era?

Try the trine 2 demo, might scratch your diablo itch for not a lot of money

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You don't need to grind much. Octopath is equipment oriented, not level. So you can do many areas before they are suggested presuming you have been keeping up with your gear.

If you do feel truly weak, dancers have a skill that when used procs random effects, like doubling (and more) your experience. This same ability can kinda kill or cripple you though, so just make sure you saved or had an autosave proc recently. Spam it toward the end of a battle with boosts and you can get pretty lucky.
I'm going to quote a recent post of mine:
Ok, definitely going after that axe, still need to grind a touch of gold tho XD, and I think I already found 2/3 of the base job shrines so I'll hunt a few others

Hint

Apr 9, 2018

Any advice on grinding?

As other have mentioned, gear is far more important than levels so take advantage of the steal/buy abilities and go for some higher level stuff as soon as you can. One tip I have that helped me and others I have suggested it to: Pick 4 characters to make a party and go through all of their stories and pick up the stronger gear along the way. Once you finish those stories unequip everyone one and give that gear to the other 4 characters you didn't use and go through their stories. It'll almost feel like a new game plus doing the remaining 4 and you won't be worn down by doing everyone's next chapters all at the same time.

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
anyone know If snipperclips is the complete version with the DLC? Did it replace the vanilla version on the store?

Also is the stretchers worthwhile for co-op with a kid

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
As other have mentioned, gear is far more important than levels so take advantage of the steal/buy abilities and go for some higher level stuff as soon as you can. One tip I have that helped me and others I have suggested it to: Pick 4 characters to make a party and go through all of their stories and pick up the stronger gear along the way. Once you finish those stories unequip everyone one and give that gear to the other 4 characters you didn't use and go through their stories. It'll almost feel like a new game plus doing the remaining 4 and you won't be worn down by doing everyone's next chapters all at the same time.
Sounds like a great idea, i think I'll roll with my current group then I think, Olberic, Tressa, Primrose and Cyrus I think, the scholar
Also have Tessa second class as thief

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Anyone have the full list of 1st party Nintendo games on sale at the moment? I know stuff like Breath of the Wild, DKCTF, & Splatoon 2 are $40, was wondering what else. I'm hoping to help my girlfriend get a Switch & a few games to go along with it & with this sale, seems like a good time.

Edit: Oh, looks like these are physical only sales. Thought it would've extended to digital as well.

digital is on sale on amazon and you get coins for redeeming the codes to boot

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Finished yesterday's new release, Gunbrick: Reloaded (by Nitrome), and I figured I'd give my thoughts to anyone considering picking up the game.

----

Absolutely worth picking up. Once again, Nitrome have crafted an excellent puzzle-platformer by taking a simple idea - the Gunbrick - and building upon it through incrementally harder level designs and gimmicks.

You control the Gunbrick - a brick with a gun on one side, and a shield on the other. You rotate as you move through stages, and to progress, you often need to orient the Gunbrick in some way, to aim the gun in the right direction. If you aim the gun down at the ground, you can propel yourself upwards; aim it sideways, and you push yourself in the opposite direction (the recoil). The game gets complex when you need to figure out how to use these ideas (rotation and recoil) to get yourself to face a certain direction in order to progress. The review from EGM sums the idea up far better than I have.

The game starts off simple, but by slowly increasing the complexity of the required movements and then by introducing new ideas into levels, the game ends up feeling very satisfying to progress through, with a great sense of cohesion between levels. Levels are short and fairly focused, usually focusing a core idea or two. The game features 48 levels, 12 of which are unlockable through the main campaign, plus the original 10 levels from the Flash version of Gunbrick (all the way from 2012). The only levels which stick out as bad are the 3 boss levels, at the end of each Pack -- they're just a bit clunky and not overly engaging to play through. The game lasts roughly 5 to 6 hours, if you go for 100%.

The game has the same general art design as Bomb Chicken, Nitrome's earlier Switch release, which lends it a simple yet charming look. The music is equally "simple yet charming" - nothing you'd listen to on repeat, but enough to lend each set of levels their own identity. The new content in this Reloaded edition are the 12 new isometric levels, which are far more complex than the majority of the main campaign. They have the same great design philosophy as the main campaign, but I do feel they run on for too long.

In all, this game is great and well worth playing! My only other complaint is that the level select is a bit... weird at times. The developers are aware of the bugs with the level select, however. They won't stop you progressing, but your cursor can get stuck if you flip between worlds when picking a level.

Week April 09th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR
JP Article

• Gunbrick: Reloaded - Nitrome - $14.99/€13.49 - 474 MB
  • Battle Princess Madelyn: Royal Edition - Causal Bit Games - $14.99/€13.30 - 726 MB
  • Monster Viator - Kemco - $14.99/€14.99 - 461 MB
  • Grimvalor - Direlight - $12.99/€12.99 - 1.0 GB
  • Fight of Animals - Digital Crafter - $9.99/€8.99 - 329 MB
    gunbrick0bkuz.jpg
    battleprincessmadelynshkwk.jpg
    monsterviator7lj80.jpg
    grimvalor22jil.jpg
    fightofanimalsdyjvl.jpg
  • Convoy: A Tactical Roguelike - Triangle Studios - $14.99/€14.99 - 803 MB
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper +1 Edition - Plug In Digital - $12.49/€12.49 - 1.0 GB
  • Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - NIS America - $59.99/€59.99 - 14.1 GB
  • Towertale - Keybol Games - $9.99/€8.99 - 1.8 GB
  • Ubongo - USM - $13.99/€12.99 - 296 MB
    convoyscjy8.jpg
    galaxyofpenandpaper0ukc0.jpg
    disasterreport4summerk9j6y.jpg
    towertale7fk7d.jpg
    ubongo7tkwx.jpg
  • Rush Rover - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 64 MB
  • Tharsis - QubicGames - $11.99/€11.99 - 522 MB
  • Depixtion - DevHour Games - €7.19 - 106 MB *EU*
  • Null Drifter - eastasiasoft - $4.99/€4.99 - 189 MB
  • Bridge! 3 - Aerosoft - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.0 GB
    rushrover8nk0w.jpg
    tharsisu0k8l.jpg
    depixtionqjjp2.jpg
    nulldrifterlskeo.jpg
    bridge3qbkso.jpg
  • Flak Attack - Arcade - Konami/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Black Rainbow - Ocean Media - $9.99/€9.99 - 982 MB
  • 12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull - JetDogs - $7.99/€7.99 - 126 MB
  • RMX Real Motocross - Ultimate Games - $6.99/€6.99 - 1.5 GB
  • Rocket Rabbit: Coin Race - Digital Games Group - $7.99 - 273 MB *NA*
    arcadearchivesflakattkakz1.jpg
    blackrainbowzakf5.jpg
    12laboursofherculesiikcjsz.jpg
    rmxrealmotocross7rj3c.jpg
    rocketrabbitcoinrace94kl6.jpg

- Late Releases

• Desktop Basketball - Sat-Box - $7.20 - 892 MB *NA*

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you live in Mexico, a couple games are really cheap. Rogue Legacy is like $2, Two Point is around $13.

Status
Not open for further replies.