Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed that Dragon Marked For Death is available for preload on the Japanese eShop and grabbed it right away woo woo! And the whole "purchase both versions for $14.99" to gain access to all characters seems to be incorrect. I can't buy the Advanced Attackers version (not that I'd do it anyway) when I access the US store since I have already purchased the Frontline Fighter version. The game will probably have an option to purchase the remaining 2 characters as DLC (still really shitty, but yeah) since the Japanese game page briefly mention "additional purchaseable contents in-game".

DwkJP7pU8AARIGD.jpg:large

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people won't look at it like that though. They won't see it as a $30 game that's cut in half, they'll see it as a $15 game that's missing content.
Or they'll see it as two $15 games and be furious when they realize they basically just bought the same game twice.

they'll be REAL confused when they don't see a a new icon on their home menu.
Noticed that Dragon Marked For Death is available for preload on the Japanese eShop and grabbed it right away woo woo! And the whole "purchase both versions for $14.99" to gain access to all characters seems to be incorrect. I can't buy the Advanced Attackers version (not that I'd do it anyway) when I access the US store since I have already purchased the Frontline Fighter version. The game will probably have an option to purchase the remaining 2 characters as DLC since the Japanese game page briefly mentions that.
Holy fuck, it just gets weirder.

The listing itself is very unclear.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
A better model seems like it might have been buy the game for $15 and get to choose 2 classes. Then buy an additional class for $7.50 each (or $15 for the others). Make it an in-game currency type thing, rather than a set pack. As it stands, what if I want 1 class from each of the 2 versions? That's a much higher entry point than the normal $15.

That's fair. I imagine the lower entry point is there to incentivise people to pick up the game that aren't overly interested in it to the point they know for certain which character class they want to play as.

What if the characters in the version I bought gave me such a bad impression I just don't care anymore?

Then they still have your 15 USD.

I'm positive more people are willing to pick it up for 15 than 30.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Noticed that Dragon Marked For Death is available for preload on the Japanese eShop and grabbed it right away woo woo! And the whole "purchase both versions for $14.99" to gain access to all characters seems to be incorrect. I can't buy the Advanced Attackers version (not that I'd do it anyway) when I access the US store since I have already purchased the Frontline Fighter version. The game will probably have an option to purchase the remaining 2 characters as DLC (still really shitty, but yeah) since the Japanese game page briefly mention "additional purchaseable contents in-game".

DwkJP7pU8AARIGD.jpg:large
Interesting. That will at least make it possible the remaining 2 characters can be had for less than $14.99.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I imagine the lower entry point is there to incentivise people to pick up the game that aren't overly interested in it to the point they know for certain which character class they want to play as.

Then they still have your 15 USD.

I'm positive more people are willing to pick it up for 15 than 30.
Maybe it's not $30. If the above poster is correct, maybe the remaining characters are like $5 each as DLC.

Regardless, the real problem here is the confusion and uncertainty of the listings. This information should all be crystal clear.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Regardless, the real problem here is the confusion and uncertainty of the listings. This information should all be crystal clear.

Yeah I agree. They should be more clear about it.

Plus the divide is a bit silly: It should have been one streamlined character and one more technical character instead of what they have now.

I'm just interested and curious to see whether the initiative is successful.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just bought radiant historia perfect chronology and Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS at GameStop. MH was on clearance and Radiant Historia was still the launch edition. MH was $27 and RH $29. Probably could have gotten it cheaper online but not a terrible price.

Interested in buying Mecho Wars on the 17th. Has anyone played the Vita or PS4 version? Decent strategy game?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it means you need to access the eshop withon the game to buy the other version

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought radiant historia perfect chronology and Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS at GameStop. MH was on clearance and Radiant Historia was still the launch edition. MH was $27 and RH $29. Probably could have gotten it cheaper online but not a terrible price.

Interested in buying Mecho Wars on the 17th. Has anyone played the Vita or PS4 version? Decent strategy game?
Mecho Wars by the people who brought us Mecho Tales and Plague Road, two games perpetually on sale for .99 cents?

Go check the pedigree, their games are garbage.

Mecho Wars itself was originally released back in 2012.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you receive a discount on the remaining two characters, it makes this initiative slightly less awful.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
A better model seems like it might have been buy the game for $15 and get to choose 2 classes. Then buy an additional class for $7.50 each (or $15 for the others). Make it an in-game currency type thing, rather than a set pack. As it stands, what if I want 1 class from each of the 2 versions? That's a much higher entry point than the normal $15.

Even easier might have been to have a standard single class that is most reasonable for first-time players with the other three being paid DLC(Kind of like Mighty Gunvolt's model). None of this two-SKU nonsense and I'm not even sure how a consumer could decide between two classes to start with for a game they have never played. That's quite a gambit to put the onus on them to decide upfront.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure how a consumer could decide between two classes to start with for a game they have never played. That's quite a gambit to put the onus on them to decide upfront.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I've played plenty of games that were only fun once one of the characters clicked for me and often times I only click with one.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but maybe the description of the product should say as much. Or make itself clearer in any way.

definitely. I hate pretty much everything about this.

Even easier might have been to have a standard single class that is most reasonable for first-time players with the other three being paid DLC(Kind of like Mighty Gunvolt's model). None of this two-SKU nonsense and I'm not even sure how a consumer could decide between two classes to start with for a game they have never played. That's quite a gambit to put the onus on them to decide upfront.

yep and it's probably going to cause many to just skip the game entirely.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This sums up the issue perfectly.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me really wants to support Dragon Marked For Death

Part of me really doesn't want to support DMFD's distribution model.

I was ready to add it to my wishlist today, but after seeing the two Sku's I moved on. It was confounding.

(I'll wait for some guinea pigs to tell me which pack to get probably)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to add it to my wishlist today, but after seeing the two Sku's I moved on. It was confounding.

(I'll wait for some guinea pigs to tell me which pack to get probably)
To be fair, my thinking was that if I did buy it I'd just get the one with Empress since she seems the face of the game.

Or is she?

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
So, like, I'll have to have two versions of the game sitting on my Home Menu? You can't buy the characters unless you buy the full game?
You'll just have the one icon. Basically buying the "other version" just adds the two additional characters, it's treated like DLC. And correct, if you want all four digitally, you'll need to spend the $30, unless something changes down the road.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll just have the one icon even if you buy both packs. Basically buying the "other version" just adds the two additional characters, just like DLC. And correct, if you want all four digitally, you'll need to buy both versions.
But apparently that isn't true because one poster has confirmed that buying one grays out the option to buy the other.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, what the fuck is this shit?

NA gets 2 NES games this month and Japan gets 3?

Does it cost more there or something? Because this is some extra garbage.

For those that don't know, this month's games are Zelda II and Blaster Master and if you're in Japan you get those and a third game, Joy Mech Fight (which is actually a dope game).

JMF's Sukopon is an assist trophy in Smash Ultimate.

Dgt2m-2UEAE0Kvo.jpg

Last edited:

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
But apparently that isn't true because one poster has confirmed that buying one grays out the option to buy the other.
Like I said, getting the two additional characters is treated like DLC. Players can purchase whichever pack they like first, and then can purchase the other pack as DLC should they choose to do so. For example, if you buy the Dragon Marked for Death pack with the Empress and Warrior, you can purchase the Shinobi and Witch pack as DLC, and vice versa. Being that the game is in a pre-load state, the availability of the "DLC" may have to wait until launch.

Last edited:

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
See the video below as the price point and "versions" are explained, it is confirmed that the four characters will run you $30 digitally.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, what the fuck is this shit?

NA gets 2 NES games this month and Japan gets 3?

Does it cost more there or something? Because this is some extra garbage.

For those that don't know, this month's games are Zelda II and Blaster Master and if you're in Japan you get those and a third game, Joy Mech Fight (which is actually a dope game).

JMF's Sukopon is an assist trophy in Smash Ultimate.

Dgt2m-2UEAE0Kvo.jpg

You don't need to be in Japan. Downloading the Japanese NES app is enough.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Wow I just realized It was possible to download and play the NES app from a different region lol

Fight of gods releases soon, I'm a fan of the concept but it looks really rough in the Eshop video...

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Wow I just realized It was possible to download and play the NES app from a different region lol

Fight of gods releases soon, I'm a fan of the concept but it looks really rough in the Eshop video...

As I noted in a post some pages ago in this thread, if you download the Famicom app from the Japanese eShop, you can also access to the US equivalent of 'Adventures of Lolo 2', because the first US entry skipped Japan.

So 'Adventures of Lolo' in Japan is the US 'Adventures of Lolo 2'.

And 'Adventures of Lolo 2' in Japan is the US 'Adventures of Lolo 3'.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You don't need to be in Japan. Downloading the Japanese NES app is enough.
I actually tried this the other day but couldn't figure it out lol, how do you get to the download page on the Japanese eshop without a subscription? I tried searching a couple things but didn't find it, and I know on the NA eshop you can only download it thru the NSO tab.....

The Sukapon game looks great

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, so they delayed the game because of the physical release, which doesn't even have a release date or details or even a price?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I actually tried this the other day but couldn't figure it out lol, how do you get to the download page on the Japanese eshop without a subscription? I tried searching a couple things but didn't find it, and I know on the NA eshop you can only download it thru the NSO tab.....

The Sukapon game looks great
On the main eShop menu, go to the Search feature (one above "NEW"), select the top-right box & if you did it correct, you'll see games listed by price ranges (5,001 yen with stuff like Smash). Scroll to the bottom to see the free stuff like Youtube & Fortnite, then select the orange text that's underneath the 4th title listed. You'll now be taken to a list of free downloads like Pokemon Quest & such. At the very bottom of the list is the Famicom App. It's basically the same instructions as getting the NES App, just on the Japanese store instead.

I would've taken some pictures, but you can't seem to use the capture feature while in the eShop.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
On the main eShop menu, go to the Search feature (one above "NEW"), select the top-right box & if you did it correct, you'll see games listed by price ranges (5,001 yen with stuff like Smash). Scroll to the bottom to see the free stuff like Youtube & Fortnite, then select the orange text that's underneath the 4th title listed. You'll now be taken to a list of free downloads like Pokemon Quest & such. At the very bottom of the list is the Famicom App. It's basically the same instructions as getting the NES App, just on the Japanese store instead.

I would've taken some pictures, but you can't seem to use the capture feature while in the eShop.
Sounds good, thanks a bunch!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Thanks for the reminder, I just did this too. And it just reminded me we don't have PSO2. Although it's the streaming version.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yoku's Island Express the other day. It was a really enjoyable little experience. Cool world, interesting mechanics. I think I got about 6-7 hours of it.

Started up Battle Chef Brigade after. I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy this one too. After that it's Guacamelee.

Too many games.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played Forgotton Anne? Steam reviews are very positive, but I'm curious about the Switch version.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Onumusha and dragon marked for death out this month? And I just bought tales of? My poor wallet :(

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I just wanted to tell you all that Night Trap is 30% off right now in NA.

75y-u74VMabov6v6DDsRLwtpU3Zjb98P.jpg

Please, calm down. Don't rush to the eshop, we don't want their servers to go down.

Not gonna lie, if you have the right mindset going into this, it's worth it. I was expecting a hilariously poorly-acted FMV game and an interesting historical showpiece, and that's what I got. Still need to go back and get a perfect clear to unlock the extras, but since there's only one "checkpoint" halfway through, it's actually quite the challenge.

It's always surprising seeing the types of small projects Gamefreak takes on because they all DRASTICALLY different from Pokemon. It makes me wonder why they're so conservative with Pokemon changes when they clearly are capable of thinking of more. Are they really that scared of messing up what they have?

I'm no Pokemon expert but I think Game Freak has thoroughly subscribed to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. And it helps that the games sell millions, too, with no end in sight.

Maybe with the new mainline game coming this year to a native HD system, we'll see some radical new changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am in AWE @ the legs on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It released April 2017 and it's currently #2 on the NA eShop in 2019, second only to frickin' Smash Ultimate.

GOT. DAMN.

Also, Outrun Sega Ages acquired!