• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I finished Ember. I would say it was solid in mostly everything, but not standout in anything. I enjoyed it. I didn't love it.

Anybody have a 2813-0009 error code when they've tried to purchase a game from the eShop? It's been happening to me all day, so I'm guessing it's not a maintenance issue. The Nintendo support website says to restart the eShop or to check the maintenance status of the eShop (I've done both with no success). I tried to purchase the game I want through the online (internet) store instead, which didn't work either. I also tried resetting the Switch, deleting and re-registering my CC, etc. Nothing is working...
For the last few days, I keep getting an error code where it won't connect to the eShop at all. The Internet connection is clearly working and I've changed no settings on either end. It just gives me an error code when I try to open the eShop until I restart the Switch. Then it works. It's super annoying.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
What should I play next?

Dragon Quest Builders 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Luigi's Mansion 3 took me like 15 hours to do everything (though I kinda used a gem guide near the end to get like half of them just to speed things up), so maybe that just because it's the quickest & therefore get it out of the backlog first before getting to the longer titles.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 took me like 15 hours to do everything (though I kinda used a gem guide near the end to get like half of them just to speed things up), so maybe that just because it's the quickest & therefore get it out of the backlog first before getting to the longer titles.
Luigi was about 19 hours for me. Also found everything.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Luigi was about 19 hours for me. Also found everything.
That seems to be a more average time. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's the shortest game on there. Not sure about Witcher Tales, never heard about it.

I'm replaying through TMS & while it's been a fun experience, you're looking at like a 50ish+ RPG depending on how much extra stuff you wanna do. But that's just my method for dealing with backlogs, getting the shorter stuff first & out of the way.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I just wish it would also show which shop's region has the best price like other sites do.
It'd be dope especially if you had it for both eShop and physical since we (or at least I do) can easily purchase from amazon.it/de/fr/etc. and it's tiring to go check each one for the best deal... still, Deku Deals is fantastic! Just that I'd like to drop the others but I can't atm because of the above.
Makes sense, I am anti-using other regions to buy games so it is awful for me because my wallet is destroyed!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

This is low-key one of the most surprising discounts to ever hit the eShop. Why? BECAUSE JUPITER PICROSS GAMES NEVER EVER EVER GO ON SALE. EVER. (*with the one lone exception being Mario's Picross on 3DS Game Boy Virtual Console years ago)

It's one of my great fantasies to wake up one day to see the entire Picross e series on 3DS discounted, and now that fantasy is 0.01% closer to being realized. lol

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

This is low-key one of the most surprising discounts to ever hit the eShop. Why? BECAUSE JUPITER PICROSS GAMES NEVER EVER EVER GO ON SALE. EVER. (*with the one lone exception being Mario's Picross on 3DS Game Boy Virtual Console years ago)

It's one of my great fantasies to wake up one day to see the entire Picross e series on 3DS discounted, and now that fantasy is 0.01% closer to being realized. lol

Picross for $7 is a steal, and this one has tons of content. If you don't care about the anime (I have 0 interest in it), you can just skip through the conversations and play picross to your hearts content like you would in any other Jupyter Picross game.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

The weird thing is, why discount the licensed game and not the regular ones?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Picross for $7 is a steal, and this one has tons of content. If you don't care about the anime (I have 0 interest in it), you can just skip through the conversations and play picross to your hearts content like you would in any other Jupyter Picross game.
Yeah, even if you know nothing about the Overlord anime, Picross is Picross. The subject material is secondary to the timeless gameplay. Well worth buying while you can save a few bucks.

The weird thing is, why discount the licensed game and not the regular ones?

It's very random and strange, yeah. It's even the most recently released one too when there are others that have been out for much longer.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Kadokawa had some sway in this. But then you'd think that Kemono Friends Picross would be discounted too (and it isn't), so who knows?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence about getting Blasphemous, that sale price is really attractive, but i've hear the game is pretty tough, i'm not sure if i'm the mood for hard games right now...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
👀

This seems like one of those first-party games that will take forever to get an eShop discount, so this is very tempting, especially so soon after release.

Someone convince me not to grab this. lol

Sorry, I just pulled the trigger, what were you saying? Convince you not to grab it?

I don't even understand why Walmart has it on sale in the first place... a price match? a price error? Digital games especially rarely get sales that aren't just matching eshop unless it's a mistake of some kind.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

I'm blaming you if I have to survive on ramen next month. lol

Sorry, I just pulled the trigger, what were you saying? Convince you not to grab it?

I don't even understand why Walmart has it on sale in the first place... a price match? a price error? Digital games especially rarely get sales that aren't just matching eshop unless it's a mistake of some kind.

It's all good. I pulled the trigger as well. :P

Very likely an error due to the odd price and uncharacteristically generous 30% off only two weeks after release.

I couldn't afford to dawdle and mull over whether or not to go for it before they fix it, since who knows when it'll drop that low again...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
👀

This seems like one of those first-party games that will take forever to get an eShop discount, so this is very tempting, especially so soon after release.

Someone convince me not to grab this. lol
It hasn't even been out for a month and it's already $40

We can wait for lower

You and me both, it's right in the sweet spot ugh

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
It hasn't even been out for a month and it's already $40

We can wait for lower

You and me both, it's right in the sweet spot ugh

We'll know for sure if it doesn't get adjusted within the next few hours, but this could very well be a price error. Walmart's site has a long history of randomly screwing up their prices and generally you don't see digital codes getting discounted from third-party sellers without a corresponding eShop sale to go along with it.

But I've already caved in so now it's my job to convince others to join me so I don't feel as guilty about it. ;P

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
We'll know for sure if it doesn't get adjusted within the next few hours, but this could very well be a price error. Walmart's site has a long history of randomly screwing up their prices and generally you don't see digital codes getting discounted from third-party sellers without a corresponding eShop sale to go along with it.

But I've already caved in so now it's my job to convince others to join me so I don't feel as guilty about it. ;P
I've done enough impulse purchasing for now. I have to draw a line somewhere. Sorry, TMS. Maybe once I've gotten through more of my backlog.

Week January 30th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

• Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition - Cardboard Computer/Annapurna - $24.99/€22.99 - 1.4 GB
  • Coffee Talk - Toge Productions - $12.99/€12.99 - 537 MB
  • Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - CD Projekt - $19.99/€19.99 - 4.3 GB
  • Skellboy - Umaiki Games/Fabraz - $20.00/€20.00 - 1.6 GB
  • Code Shifter - Arc System Works - $14.99/€18.99 - 261 MB
    kentuckyroutezerovkjif.jpg
    coffeetalk9jk3p.jpg
    thronebreakerthewitchxtjaq.jpg
    skellboyyvj4x.jpg
    codeshifter2kjbb.jpg
  • Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire - AlfaSystem/Chorus Worldwide - $13.99/€12.99 - 332 MB
  • Aviary Attorney - Sketchy Logic/Vertical Reach - $19.99/€16.49 - 320 MB
  • Bookbound Brigade - Intragames - $19.99/€19.99 - 904 MB
  • Arc of Alchemist - Idea Factory - $39.99 - 3.5 GB *02/06 on EU*
  • Willy Jetman: Astromonkey's Revenge - BLG-Publishing - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: €12.99) - 1.0 GB
    sistersroyalexyk7c.jpg
    aviaryattorneydefinit8ljfl.jpg
    bookboundbrigadeh1kkl.jpg
    arcofalchemist0jjx3.jpg
    willyjetmanbajxg.jpg
  • Not Tonight: Take Back Control Edition - No More Robots - $24.99/€22.99 (Launch sale: $22.49/€20.69) - 946 MB
  • Ash of Gods: Redemption - Koch Media - $29.99/€29.99 - 2.6 GB
  • Orbitblazers - ogsoftgames - $19.99/€19.99 - 603 MB
  • Tecmo Bowl - Arcade - Koei Tecmo/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Phar Lap: Horse Racing Challenge - Tru Blu Games - $39.99 - 2.0 GB *NA*
    nottonightecjkk.jpg
    ashofgodsredemptionltk1l.jpg
    orbitblazers7dkj2.jpg
    arcadearchivestecmoboexjus.jpg
    pharlaphorseracingcharek63.jpg
  • Milo's Quest - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 44 MB
  • Eclipse: Edge of Light - White Elk - $14.99/€12.50 - 4.4 GB
  • Sparkle 4 Tales - Forever Ent. - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $8.99) - 373 MB
  • Never Again - Redblack Spade - $13.99/€11.59 (Launch sale: $12.59) - 699 MB
  • Uoris DX - Regista - $9.00/€8.00 (Launch sale: $4.50/€4.00) - 264 MB
    milosquestv3kz1.jpg
    eclipseedgeoflighti4jld.jpg
    sparkle4talesbnjqj.jpg
    neveragainzwkg6.jpg
    uorisdx94jsd.jpg
  • Reknum - JanduSoft - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $4.24/€4.24) - 135 MB
  • Super Battle Cards - Baltoro Games - $5.99/€5.99 - 101 MB
  • Prison Princess - Qureate - $19.99/€16.79 - 491 MB
  • Battleground - Sabec - $9.99 - 111 MB *NA*
  • It Came From Space And Ate Our Brains - All In! Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 955 MB
    reknumwzj8q.jpg
    superbattlecardsiakgv.jpg
    prisonprincess7bkav.jpg
    battleground0kjjv.jpg
    itcamefromspaceandater4kw3.jpg
  • Bridge Constructor Ultimate Edition - Headup Games - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: €11.99) - 225 MB
  • Actual Sunlight - Wzogi - $10.00/€9.00 - 103 MB
  • Speaking Simulator - Affable Games - $20.00/€19.00 - 535 MB
  • Music Racer - Sometimes You - $6.99/€6.99 - 407 MB
  • Ascendant Hearts - Visualnoveler - $9.99/€9.99 - 369 MB
    bridgeconstructorultix9jyu.jpg
    actualsunlight40kku.jpg
    speakingsimulatorcykj0.jpg
    musicracerolk17.jpg
    ascendantheartsoujum.jpg
  • Hypercharge Unboxed - Digital Cybercherries - $19.99/€19.99 - 4.1 GB
  • Horse Farm - upjers - $19.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: $14.99/€14.99) - 261 MB
  • Super Tennis - Ultimate Games - $5.99/€5.99 - 121 MB
  • Motorcycle Mechanic Simulator - Ultimate Games - $6.99/€6.99 (Launch sale: $0.69/€1.18) - 597 MB
  • Touchdown Pinball - SuperPowerUpGames - $3.00/€2.99 (Launch sale: $1.98/€2.00) - 183 MB
    hyperchargeunboxed2lkz1.jpg
    horsefarm6gjrr.jpg
    supertennis91jwf.jpg
    motorcyclemechanicsim41jur.jpg
    touchdownpinballq8jl2.jpg

- Demos

• Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Team17
  • AeternoBlade II - Corecell Technology

- Japan

• Koi no Hanasaku Hyakkaen - Takuyo - ¥7,480
  • Touhou Gensou Mahjong - Mediascape - ¥3,850
  • IxShe Tell - Entergram - ¥6,050
  • Rêver d'un manège - Mages - ¥6,600
  • Boku to Joi no Shinsatsu Nisshi - Entergram - ¥1,980
    koinohanasakuhyakkaensekzs.jpg
    touhougensoumahjongjxjrd.jpg
    ixshetellvpkjh.jpg
    rverdunmangep7j1d.jpg
    bokutojoinoshinsatsunhkjn7.jpg
  • Greco's Hall of Kanji Learn Japanese <Beginner> - Media-5 - ¥1,000
    grecoshallofkanjilear52kzg.jpg

- Late Releases

• Heroland - Marvelous - €39.99 - 658 MB *EU*

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Mixed reviews on Steam but probably a fun enough game for some handheld action. Put it on my buy list as I expect that price to drop pretty quick. Thanks!

Oh damn those look great. Thanks!! And somehow I have Phantom Doctrine already on Steam but never played it.
NP! Take in mind both have been deeply discounted, so you may want to wait. Phantom Doctrine lowest has been 4,19 € and Hard West 1,99 €.
*Both* games are now discounted by 90% on the US eShop, down to $1.99.

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy, all.

I'm looking for some clarification on Snack World here. As a huge life sim fan, I always regretted missing out on Fantasy Life. After watching the newest trailer, it looks like it has a lot of shared DNA with FL, but the trailer only focused on dungeon crawling (with the dreaded words "randomly generated"—there's no bigger turn-off for me at this point than that).

However, I'll still be more than happy to give it a try if there are also life sim elements. There was a scene in the trailer where it looked like player characters were hanging out in a house. I'm hoping this means there is a life sim component here that the trailer just chose not to focus on.

Does anybody know if that's the case? Or is it too early to say one way or another?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for something cheap and the idea of a streamlined RTS peaks your interest, Crush Your Enemies can be had for <$1. I'm not a fan of the humor, but it's a fun game nevertheless.

bradigor

Oct 27, 2017
Suppose might as well post it now (seeing as we have screwed our country and left the EU)

My review for Not Tonight: Take Back Control Edition - http://bit.ly/2RJAfWW

Fantastic game in the mould of Paper's Please. Some of the humour might not translatr globally, but it is still a fantastic game.

Alsol super tempted by Blasphemous and Picross Lord of the Nazarick. They'll easily see me through to Two Point Hospital.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Hypercharge: Unboxed because it looked neat. Impressions:

In case you don't know what it is, it's a tower defense FPS where you play as a toy and fight knock-offs of other toys like Beyblades, Boglins, Army Men, etc. First off, I was surprised to discover that this is just as much a platformer as it is a shooter. You have two jumps and the ability to clamber up a ledge if you just barely missed it, and the maps really make the most of them. It reminds me of games like Yooka-Laylee and Voodoo Vince in that you can jump on almost everything, including stuff that doesn't even seem like it should be possible... which is great for me, because I love that type of platformer. Here's an example of what I mean - it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to reach this collectible.

Anyway, the meat of the gameplay has you defending three cores on each map. You can do this by blasting away at enemies as they arrive in waves, and by setting up traps to slow them down or damage them. It's pretty fun, but my only issue is that there's no way to tell which cores the enemies are going to attack on each wave or where they're going to come from without trial and error. For example, on the "No. 2" map, there's no point in spending your cash putting traps around the red core early since the enemies won't attack it until Wave 3.

It's not really a problem if you go online and have at least three players all defending a core, but it is an issue when the other players are stupid and bunch up near the same core, or when you're playing single player. This is definitely a game best played with some competent friends. Speaking of stupid players, the build phase before each wave lasts three minutes, and boy do I wish my teammates would have the brain cells to press the damn A button to skip the phase when there's nothing left to build.

In terms of other modes, there's a barebones deathmatch mode, but it's nothing to write home about. The tower defense co-op mode is the clear focus. You can also play the maps in Free Roam mode, which is good for learning their layouts and finding the hidden collectibles. The maps are all very well made, visually appealing with plenty of detail and platforming opportunities without feeling overly busy or confusing.

The roadmap for the game says it has at least a few months of content updates and the devs seem committed to making it as good as it can possibly be, so I can recommend it to anyone who's been wanting a cartoony shooter on Switch.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
these "mega puzzles" where numbers occupy TWO lines are breaking my brain fam.

Anime Picross is real good :o

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Bought Hypercharge: Unboxed because it looked neat. Impressions:

In case you don't know what it is, it's a tower defense FPS where you play as a toy and fight knock-offs of other toys like Beyblades, Boglins, Army Men, etc. First off, I was surprised to discover that this is just as much a platformer as it is a shooter. You have two jumps and the ability to clamber up a ledge if you just barely missed it, and the maps really make the most of them. It reminds me of games like Yooka-Laylee and Voodoo Vince in that you can jump on almost everything, including stuff that doesn't even seem like it should be possible... which is great for me, because I love that type of platformer. Here's an example of what I mean - it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to reach this collectible.

Anyway, the meat of the gameplay has you defending three cores on each map. You can do this by blasting away at enemies as they arrive in waves, and by setting up traps to slow them down or damage them. It's pretty fun, but my only issue is that there's no way to tell which cores the enemies are going to attack on each wave or where they're going to come from without trial and error. For example, on the "No. 2" map, there's no point in spending your cash putting traps around the red core early since the enemies won't attack it until Wave 3.

It's not really a problem if you go online and have at least three players all defending a core, but it is an issue when the other players are stupid and bunch up near the same core, or when you're playing single player. This is definitely a game best played with some competent friends. Speaking of stupid players, the build phase before each wave lasts three minutes, and boy do I wish my teammates would have the brain cells to press the damn A button to skip the phase when there's nothing left to build.

In terms of other modes, there's a barebones deathmatch mode, but it's nothing to write home about. The tower defense co-op mode is the clear focus. You can also play the maps in Free Roam mode, which is good for learning their layouts and finding the hidden collectibles. The maps are all very well made, visually appealing with plenty of detail and platforming opportunities without feeling overly busy or confusing.

The roadmap for the game says it has at least a few months of content updates and the devs seem committed to making it as good as it can possibly be, so I can recommend it to anyone who's been wanting a cartoony shooter on Switch.

Excellent write-up. This game immediately caught my eye when I first saw it and you just made it sound even more appealing. But $20 is a big ask right now when my backlog is gigantic and I've already spent so much since the Cyber Deals sale. lol

these "mega puzzles" where numbers occupy TWO lines are breaking my brain fam.

Anime Picross is real good :o

Mega Picross is a real brain-bender at first, especially the 20x15 puzzles. 😓

It's back at full price. Was this a glitch or something?

Most likely, yeah.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
welp I'm loving the Overlord Picross, and apparently its part of the official Picross S series, which there are 3 of on Switch and I had no idea.To the wishlist they go.