• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does Switch need folders?

• Yes

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • JackNicholsonYes.gif

Votes: 127 25.1%
  • Yes... And themes, don't forget the new themes.

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • I like to live in the chaos.

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Folder 2: The Dark UI

Votes: 59 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it depends on when the other one releases, next month is tight for me, but while this month is light I can't nesse do both and genesis appeals more. So if that drops this month I'll grab it instead, but if not I could use snk 40th as a filler(and I still have a preorder discount)

Yeah, I know you're talking about. This last summer I had something similar with Octopath and Ys VIII.

Right now, only you can wait if Sega makes a movement until two or three days before the launch of SNK.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

5.bloodstaineddqoxn.jpg

Battle with swords and whips in this retro-style action game brought to you by game creator Koji Igarashi and Inti Creates!

Play as Zangetsu, a demon slayer bearing a deep grudge, who must travel through perilous lands to defeat a powerful demon lurking in a dark castle. Zangetsu will meet fellow travelers along the way, who can join your journey as playable characters.

Switching to these characters with their unique abilities will unlock new paths through the treacherous stages. Your choices in recruiting these adventurers will change the difficulty of the game, and may even affect the ending!

*This game is the mini-game promised as a stretch goal of the 2015 Kickstarter campaign for "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night."

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

$9.99/*€6.99/*£6.29 (*30% off sale until 11/01) - NA web - EU web - Trailer

10/28 - Resident Evil Revelations 2
10/27 - The Spectrum Retreat
10/26 - Gone Home
10/25 - Membrane
10/24 - Stardew Valley
10/23 - Manticore: Galaxy on Fire

Gricean

Aug 30, 2018
I'm somewhat tempted to pick up The Gardens Between, given its current sale price (-30%) which seems quite generous for such a new release, but can't find much in the way of Era impressions on the game. Would anyone care to convince me one way or the other? Thanks!

I got this last weekend when it went on sale. I adore a good puzzle game, and Gardens did not disappoint. It's very well crafted, and you can see this in the puzzle design but also all the little details, such as the objects populating each island and the animations.

The mechanics are simple and easy to get used to, but interesting nonetheless. You have little control over the characters' actions, and instead focus on manipulating the flow of time.

The story is bittersweet, and well worth the time you spend with it, if a bit light. I think it relies heavily on the player relating to it personally.

All that said, it was a bit short. Partly this was because up until the final island I didn't find any of the puzzles terribly challenging. Some are very clever and satisfying to solve, but still easy to figure out. It's also not very replayable.

Depending on how you feel about how a game's price should correspond to its overall quality (The Gardens Between is well made, no doubt about it) and/or the length of its playtime (but it is very short), this might still land a bit on the expensive side for some people, discount and all.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Night in the Woods seems to be on sale in Europe. Hasn't been ever on sale if I'm not mistaken. One of my favourite games. Can't see the price cause I own it already. (which is stupid)

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh my rule is to only buy when I'm ready for a new game and I just bought Undertale. But Night in the Woods is a game that I kind of assumed I would never pay full price for and it's on my wish list...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I got Tricky Towers for some local couch play. It's a very well-crafted game, although the scope of the game isn't that big. You build towers based on standard Tetris blocks, and need to build a tower faster than the opponents. You get special items at certain levels, that you can apply on yourself (helpful) or on the opponents (damage).

Please note that Tricky Towers is not a puzzle game, it revolves much more around the fun of physics of building a wobbly tower than precise Tetris building. It's is a good party game and seem very well balanced to make it fun for everyone. The game also has online matches, but I haven't tested that.

The best mode in the game is the one where the mode played is changed after every round. Put that mode on long with varying difficulty modes and it's a blast. And it's been said, the best mode in the game should be the one where you have to bring in as many pieces as possible without crossing a line. With 4 players, we always have a blast.

Doopl

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any issues with the Switch version of Night in the Woods? I've been planning on getting it for a while.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any strong opinions on Outlast 1 vs 2? Is there a vast preference or should I just start with 1?

simtmb

Feb 28, 2018
Any era impressions on Pianista?

I bought it not too long ago.

Quick impressions, it's a great rhythm game and plays quite well with button controls. I never played the game before on mobile so cannot compare, but it definitely feels made and home for Switch.

Little over 70 songs, online ranking/leaderboards, 4 button and 6 button modes, it's honestly quite challenging. Unlockables appear to be piano skins.

There is an ensemble mode in the game which is cool, neat local multiplayer mode that has two people with 3 buttons each on the joycons playing together and competing.

Great game.

Last edited:

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it not too long ago.

Quick impressions, it's a great rhythm game and plays quite well with button controls. I never played the game before on mobile so cannot compare, but it definitely feels made and home for Switch.

Little over 70 songs, online ranking/leaderboards, 4 button and 6 button modes, it's honestly quite challenging. Unlockables appear to be piano skins.

There is an ensemble mode in the game which is cool, neat local multiplayer mode that has two people with 3 buttons each on the joycons playing together and competing.

Great game.
Thanks a bunch. I'll definitely consider it!

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ugh my rule is to only buy when I'm ready for a new game and I just bought Undertale. But Night in the Woods is a game that I kind of assumed I would never pay full price for and it's on my wish list...

Hrm, NitW rarely goes on sale. It really depends at what pace you'll play / finish Undertale. The other positive factor to consider is that they're of different genres, so it'll be somewhat refreshing to play it after Undertale.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm thinking about getting Alpha Mission, but what are the odds it ends up on the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection?
Ok, so I bought Eternum Ex on a whim and played the first few levels. I quite like this game, I hope it continues like this. I love the pixel art in this game, it's very well done, imo.
I think I'm going to pick this up as well. The Steam page lists some of its influences and they're all great arcade classics.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Has anyone played Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Heavy Burger? I'm baffled that this even exists, and it looks promising?! I didn't expect FTE to do anything with the DE properties outside ports.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't heard anything about puyo puyo esport. But I'm liking the price. I'm guessing this is multiplayer only?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My goodness the loading times in PixelJunk Monsters 2 are horrendous. A minute 20 seconds to load the first level? It's a tiny little tower defence game! How could the loading times be so poor?

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Night in the Woods is charming as hell. Great writing and quite funny I think. I bought it in September so just missed the sale - had it on my watch list for ages - but I'm ok with that as it was still worth it. I didn't notice any performance issues, personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed Night in the Woods is on sale but I didn't see it listed in either the normal sale list or the gaming on go list. Is there a third, concurrent sale I wasn't aware of?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
My goodness the loading times in PixelJunk Monsters 2 are horrendous. A minute 20 seconds to load the first level? It's a tiny little tower defence game! How could the loading times be so poor?

I'll be honest I don't remember any loading times like that. Will load it up later and report back. Haven't played it in a while but my memory was that it was pretty snappy ?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Good to know, thanks. I'll just wait for the collection then.

But first read technical reviews. These ports in the SNK collection have been done by Digital Eclipse.

The same people behind the infamous 'Mega Man Legacy Collection', with the worst input lag that I have suffered in a classic release.

I don't like to judge a company or a game before a release: all the people deserve a second chance and the benefit of doubt.

But seeing the precedents with their other collections, I'm in the team skeptical about this SNK collection.

I prefer to pay more for individual Hamster releases, if this guarantee me games without input lag. Not to talk that their CRT shader is miles better than the used by Digital Eclipse.

And I really hope that this time they don't ruin this collection. Too many obscure shmups that I REALLY want to own in my Switch library.

I'm specially hyped with the selection of rotatory shmups. While all these games where available in PSP back in the day, these are the first portable releases for titles such as 'Ikari Warriors' in which you really need a twin stick configuration to recreate the original arcade experience.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I don't remember any loading times like that. Will load it up later and report back. Haven't played it in a while but my memory was that it was pretty snappy ?

It looks like a very quick Google says it may have been made worse with the latest update? It's honestly really frustrating.