• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
So what are we looking at for the rest of the year starting in June.

June- Super Mario Maker 2
July- Fire Emblem Three Houses
August- Astral Chain
September-
October-
November-
December-

Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Links Awakening
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
DQXI
DQB2

Emily's remaining titles
-eShop game
-Mystery game #4
-2013 Wii U port
-Labo (before June)

June- Super Mario Maker 2 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
July- Fire Emblem Three Houses - Dragon Quest Builder 2
August- Astral Chain - Pikmin 3
September- Animal Crossing - Daemon X Machina
October- Luigi's Mansion 3 - Dragon Quest XI
November- Zelda Link's Awakening - Pokemon
December- Mistery game #4

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
June- Super Mario Maker 2 - Dragon Quest Builder 2
July- Fire Emblem Three Houses - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
August- Astral Chain - Pikmin 3
September- Animal Crossing - Daemon X Machina
October- Luigi's Mansion 3 - Dragon Quest XI
November- Zelda Link's Awakening - Pokemon
December- Mistery game #4
I think LA in september, LM3 October, Pokemon November, AC december...like smash.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017

August- Astral Chain
September-
October-
November-
December-

Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Links Awakening
DQXI
DQB2

Emily's remaining titles
-eShop game
-Mystery game #4
-2013 Wii U port
-Labo (before June)

I love the fact that Town always gets added to these lists

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

August- Astral Chain
September-
October-
November-
December-

Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Links Awakening
DQXI
DQB2

Emily's remaining titles
-eShop game
-Mystery game #4
-2013 Wii U port
-Labo (before June)

Fuck best buy for ending the GCU program.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds wonderful. I'm really looking forward to playing it! I'm resisting the urge to try the demo. I loved Yoshi's Woolly World - this game looks like a straight sequel so I imagine you'd enjoy that one very much if you get the opportunity to play it!

I have it, actually! I haven't had the chance to actually finish it, but yeah, I adores the relaxing feeling they have.
If I want something hardcore I'll simply go play Donkey Kong Country Returns's Secret level 1.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017

August- Astral Chain
September-
October-
November-
December-

Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Links Awakening
DQXI
DQB2

Emily's remaining titles
-eShop game
-Mystery game #4
-2013 Wii U port
-Labo (before June)
DQB2 release date was announced at the Direct, it's releasing July 12.

Few weeks ago I was convinced Animal Crossing (damn, because of Platinum we can't just write AC anymore) would be a summer title. Now I'm really wondering if both AC and Pokemon will be the big E3 games, Nintendo usually uses E3 to promote games releasing later into the year.

June- Super Mario Maker 2, Town
July- Fire Emblem Three Houses, DQB2
August- Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
September- Luigi's Mansion, Daemon X Machina
October- Dragon Quest XI, Links Awakening
November- Pokémon Gen 8
December- Animal Crossing

My main doubt is Pikmin 3 port, if real. I can see them announcing it at E3 as a buldup to Pikmin 4. I just can't see a Wii U port releasing from june to december.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm listening to the Kongversation podcast from the DK Vine website and the host, Hyle Russell, had some...things to say about Retro Studios.

Skip to 1:33:42

Basically, back in the summer of last year, around the time K. Rool got unveiled for Smash, Hyle was told by his source ("Dave Throat") that Retro had actually already gotten involved with the development of Metroid Prime by then, with how messy things were getting with Bandai Namco, and that they were also working on an original new IP that Nintendo wasn't happy with to the point where it got pulled from E3 2015 and was eventually just canceled, and now they're back on for Metroid under Tanabe's watch.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it might be worth discussing.

EDIT: For the record, this podcast came out before the Feburary Direct a few days ago.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
If that's true, then the mess with Namco Bandai was around the time of E3... It might explain why they just did a logo. A full announcement may have been planned but with the game in a bad state, it wasn't possible.
And Retro hasn't been too hot either....

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's true, then the mess with Namco Bandai was around the time of E3... It might explain why they just did a logo. A full announcement may have been planned but with the game in a bad state, it wasn't possible.
the logo was just to placate Metroid fans since they were gonna announce a 3DS game. MP4 seems to never have been prepared to be revealed so soon

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

He's talking about E3 last year, which was 2018. The MP4 announcement was E3 2017.

Oct 27, 2017
So, this is a typo...right? In both the tweet and the image...twice?...and the web page?

I just checked my 3DS copy, same rating for crude humor, fantasy violence, and mild blood. Weird, maybe it's something they announce at E3? Yokai Watch 3 on Switch later this year and announce 4 for next year maybe? I dunno 3 is really built around the dual screen concept, it wouldn't be an easy transition.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm listening to the Kongversation podcast from the DK Vine website and the host, Hyle Russell, had some...things to say about Retro Studios.

Basically, back in the summer of last year, around the time K. Rool got unveiled for Smash, Hyle was told by his source ("Dave Throat") that Retro had actually already gotten involved with the development of Metroid Prime by then, with how messy things were getting with Bandai Namco, and that they were also working on an original new IP that Nintendo wasn't happy with to the point where it got pulled from E3 2015 and was eventually just canceled, and now they're back on for Metroid under Tanabe's watch.

EDIT: For the record, this podcast came out before the Feburary Direct a few days ago.

So when was the new IP officially supposedly cancelled? This doesn't mesh at all with the rumors from Imran and zhuge, so idk about this.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing about Retro's 2016 game?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So when was the new IP officially supposedly cancelled? This doesn't mesh at all with the rumors from Imran and zhuge, so idk about this.

Also I'm not sure how this works with Vince Joly (I think?) leaving this past January. If they haven't been working on anything between E3 2015 and 2018 then what were they hiring people for? It doesn't make much sense.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm not sure how this works with Vince Joly (I think?) leaving this past January. If they haven't been working on anything between E3 2015 and 2018 then what were they hiring people for? It doesn't make much sense.
Yea, I just don't buy this. What zhuge and imran said overall just makes way more sense. I think this is more of a bandwagon rumor about retro having issues, even being before the direct.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the Kong podcast also the one that claimed that sakurai didn't allow anyone to use King K Rool because he wanted to put him in smash first?

Or did they just report that rumor.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
image0.jpg

Preordered and paid off Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Super Mario Maker 2, also.

Needless to say, no further gaming purchases for me (apart from, like, some DLC stuff here and there) for several months, lol. I really do not have all that much by way of spending money — I just decided to fill up on Switch/3DS games until the holidays. (Not to mention the several Switch games I already own and have yet to play!)

I guess technically this post might not be relevant here since only a couple of these are first-party fare. Wait... only one?! Geez. But yeah, whoo. Big day today.

Why do you have a matress a bunch of games glued to a ceiling?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the Kong podcast also the one that claimed that sakurai didn't allow anyone to use King K Rool because he wanted to put him in smash first?

Or did they just report that rumor.

Yeah, his source Dave Throat said something along those lines.

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

"So, as you know, I do have an informal source within Nintendo, call him 'DAVE THROAT,' and he, or she or it or nebulous shadow creature, first reached out to us at E3 2015, when we were out at E3 for the first time, and has since made contact every now and again. Did not get anything from Dave Throat about K. Rool in Smash, so I was completely taken aback by this, but I did get contacted by Dave Throat today [August 8], and basically, just a brief little, I guess, summary of how this came to be, K. Rool in Smash.

I'm not going to read it verbatim, but basically, so, regardless of the ballot, the Smash Ballot back in 2014 [2015], K. Rool was never going to be in the game then. They basically were using the Smash Ballot as, basically to get the fans to feel like they had some input, to gauge what the fans actually wanted, but actually they were more predictive about what they thought the fans wanted. So things like Bayonetta were already in the works before the Smash Ballot was finalized. And so that's why they had to do such loose justification with Bayonetta's reveal and say 'Oh, she was near the top of the list in Europe or somewhere, I dunno.'

They were completely taken aback by the amount of support K. Rool got, completely blew them away. They had no idea that the character had any popularity. And that's why we got the Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, that was more of a late, last-minute eleventh hour consolation prize, as a little nod saying 'K. Rool, we had no idea, this is the best we can give you right now. There you go.' But that's why we got K. Rool in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It was the Kremling Kampaigners, it was the fans, it was everybody listening to this that filled out that goddamn ballot, who made campaign and petition and made yourself vocally heard. It was because of you."

*brief filler in which Hyle says how awesome he thinks that is*

"And also, there have been other parties within Nintendo that have wanted to bring K. Rool back before this, but people have shut them down before this point, and apparently now that is going to change."

So yeah, this is not to say K. Rool WON the ballot, as has been spread as misinformation in some circles, but his final performance was extraordinary enough to send reverberations through Nintendo, most importantly -apparently- including Nintendo of Japan.

To shed further light, per Hyle, per his sources (Mr. Throat or otherwise), K. Rool's hiatus boiled down to "internal apathy and factional disagreements." I have since been able to independently confirm through two sources that one of the parties that wanted to bring back K. Rool sooner was none other than Retro Studios. They were interested in putting K. Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port in some capacity, but were denied with no reasoning given. This reportedly was because after the ballot Sakurai had personally called dibs on reviving the character himself.

But there was a little update from BKupa666 (who I believe goes around here under the name of Uglier Rare Character) about the Retro bit.

Since the above paragraph has been a topic of discussion in some spheres, I do want to clarify that "called dibs" was a colloquialism used in the explanation I got as to why Smash was where K. Rool first returned. I couldn't tell you whether Sakurai himself made a personal request to that effect, whether the decision came from Nintendo or the two reached that agreement together. The headline is, it was decided and enforced, presumably after the ballot, that Smash Ultimate would be where the character came back, not anywhere else beforehand.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What have they said on the subject?
They both talked about Prime 4 having preproduction or at least talks as early as possibly late 2016 and got started early 2017, with bamco singapore and possibly also some other teams, and it eventually just looked like it wasn't going to work. Then retro gave a demo to nintendo and nintendo scrapped the old thing and let retro start it over.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

August- Astral Chain
September-
October-
November-
December-

Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
Luigi's Mansion 3
Town
Links Awakening
DQXI
DQB2

Emily's remaining titles
-eShop game
-Mystery game #4
-2013 Wii U port
-Labo (before June)
March - Yoshi's Crafted World
April - Labo Kit 4 / BoxBoy!
May - Pikmin 3
June - Super Mario Maker 2 / Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
July - Fire Emblem Three Houses / Dragon Quest Builders 2 (this one is officially dated)
August - Astral Chain / Daemon X Machina
September - Luigi's Mansion 3 / Mystery Game #4
October - Animal Crossing / Link's Awakening
November - Pokemon Gen 8
December - Dragon Quest XI S

For some reason I feel pretty confident in Pikmin 3 (2013 Wii U port) somehow making it into May; I don't know where it would be revealed though. Don't know where I would slide in eShop game #3 or SNES Online.

Jan 8, 2018
Yeah, his source Dave Throat said something along those lines.

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

But there was a little update from BKupa666 (who I believe goes around here under the name of Uglier Rare Character) about the Retro bit.

Yeah I don't have any actual insight into what Retro was doing the past five years, other than that Star Fox Grand Prix never existed, and reportedly was a hoax. But learning what you quoted makes me theorize another Donkey Kong game never was on the table for Retro, and them asking to add K. Rool onto the TF port was out of recognition that it might be their last time working with the IP and to listen to the Kampaigners.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Listening to the podcast. Not too much notable said, but here are some comments from Trinen for those interested:

- Mario Maker 2's selection wheel was a way of addressing the loss of the Gamepad input
- Link's Awakening has been in the works "for a while" (but this could mean anything)
- Link's Awakening was "one of the earliest Zelda games that is really ripe for being remade"
- Game is meant to look like a miniature world, as many clued into
- Important: Trinen is a "Toad fan"
- They asked people which 2019 games people are excited for, AC was mentioned the most. Other games they mention: Luigi's Mansion, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Pokémon ('new gen, 'nuff said') [edit: to be clear, this section was based on the responses to this tweet]

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't have any actual insight into what Retro was doing the past five years, other than that Star Fox Grand Prix never existed, and reportedly was a hoax. But learning what you quoted makes me theorize another Donkey Kong game never was on the table for Retro, and them asking to add K. Rool onto the TF port was out of recognition that it might be their last time working with the IP and to listen to the Kampaigners.
Interesting. You're another person who said Starfox GP never existed.

My mind can open up to what could Retro have in the works now.

Jan 8, 2018
To be clear, I'm at the very least three degrees of separated on the Star Fox stuff, but I have reason to trust it.

One thing I'd like to see investigated is how the hoax actually happened. As I recall, Liam Robertson and others were super confident in Star Fox Grand Prix because there was logo artwork for the game. Could it be that some Retro artist made and circulated a fake logo in their spare time? Man, some people have to be feeling majorly backstabbed if that's the case.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think someone from Retro purposefully leaked Starfox Racing to get everyone's expectations in check because after 5 years they knew the fans would have big expectations from what Retro might've been working on.

Leaking it quells those expectations and puts it in the minds of people. But now to think someone from Retro could've faked it and leaked it for what?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think someone from Retro purposefully leaked Starfox Racing to get everyone's expectations in check because after 5 years they knew the fans would have big expectations from what Retro might've been working on.

Leaking it quells those expectations and puts it in the minds of people. But now to think someone from Retro could've faked it and leaked it for what?
to-test-the-limits-of-my-abilities.jpg

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
Considering the lack of first party releases in H1, I'm gonna need to buy something to fill the gap, so I'm thinking about buying either Wargroove or FFIX. What would you guys recommend?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Anything worth mentioning?

You've been pushing the Splatoon 3 for a while. I'm still a non-beliver (member of the Splatoon Switch spinoff cult here), but curious to see how it develops.

I predicted Splatoon 3, mk9, Zelda and Mario for 2020, along with a switch pro. That was back in April and while I think that some games may end up being pushed to 2021 to spread the goods (Mario 2 especially), I'm now very very confident that i was right.
The Splatoon spin-off cult isn't wrong though, I also worship it. Maybe even with a 2019 release.

Considering the lack of first party releases in H1, I'm gonna need to buy something to fill the gap, so I'm thinking about buying either Wargroove or FFIX. What would you guys recommend?

Wargroove is extremely overrated in my opinion. I just dropped the game. The strategy is quite shallow and from act 3 onward, it's more a die and retry game than anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.