• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It is the truth. WWHD had a brand new lighting engine and higher resolution. That's it. No work was done on textures, models, geometry etc. The game looks better because it simply aged much better than TP.
TPHD had all textures entirely reworked, most models redone, new lighting, better resolution, actual new content, there are new assets and models added for example to enhance sceneries (they added trees, vegetation in some parts). There has been much more work put on TPHD than WWHD, that's a fact.

This, point that WW HD looks better doesn't mean that TP HD is bad port, simply WW aged much better.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It is the truth. WWHD had a brand new lighting engine and higher resolution. That's it. No work was done on textures, models, geometry etc. The game looks better because it simply aged much better than TP.
TPHD had all textures entirely reworked, most models redone, new lighting, better resolution, actual new content, there are new assets and models added for example to enhance sceneries (they added trees, vegetation in some parts). There has been much more work put on TPHD than WWHD, that's a fact.
This is the key point. Vanilla WW on Gamecube looks absolutely beautiful even to this day. The art direction and graphics on that game are timeless. No matter how you shake it, any version of WW will always look better than any version of TP.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This is the key point. Vanilla WW on Gamecube looks absolutely beautiful even to this day. The art direction and graphics on that game are timeless. No matter how you shake it, any version of WW will always look better than any version of TP.

I am so glad that they went with the cell shaded look instead for the "realistic" one people were hoping for. I love the artstyle of WW and like you said it will never look bad because of it. Whereas a lot of "realistic" games from the 2000s aged really badly.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because those changes weren't necessary, as you said WW aged very well and those textures and models still look good for 2013. TP HD just needed more changes to make it look like a 2016 game. Even those changes you mention like better geometry were done half-heartly. I mean cool that the door in Malo Mart features more polygons, but Link's gauntlet and the Eldin bridge still look as blocky as before. On the lighting side, it needed a brand new engine with modern features like in WW HD. Lighting in TP HD was changed a bit, they reduced bloom made stuff brigher, but what it needed was a complete overhaul with all the features I mentioned before (especially dynamic shadows and bump mapping on the new textures.)
Anyway, we are going off topic here. It's nice that TP HD worked for you, but personally I needed more and I'm still disappointed that TP HD wasted so much potential to make it look like a modern game.
Maybe we can agree that Metroid Prime Trilogy should be better than both remasters!

This, point that WW HD looks better doesn't mean that TP HD is bad port, simply WW aged much better.

It's not a bad port, but a port that left much to be desired. Adding new lighting= graphical overhaul of the game. WW HD looked so great because they added dynamic shadows and global illumination, not just because WW has a timeless art style.

I mean I think that TPHD looks like trash and WWHD looks gorgeous. But you just can't argue that WWHD had much work on it or even more "heart". WWHD was done in six months. TPHD took two whole years! It was just objectively a much bigger work and of a bigger scale. They were simply coming from way lower than with WW.

That's fine. I also like WW's art style more. AFAIK TP HD was done by Tentalus, a pretty small studio whereas WW HD was done internally, so that development time seems logical. I wouldn't argue that it was a bigger project because of a longer development time.

What you want is a remake, not a remaster

Yes, but in that regard, WW HD is much more of a remake than TP HD for me.

Last edited:

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked people are shocked by talk of a Direct. Nintendo has nothing dated beyond next Friday. January Direct are almost annual events. How a January Direct is surprising to people kind of confuses me.
Yeah me too. Since the Switch release the directs months are more structured. There is almost every second month offical News of Nintendo (Main Directs, Game Direct, Indie Presentations)

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
So, any new info I missed?

Haha far from it. People were literally close to insulting me for finding that Nintendo's lineup from January to October was underwhelming to say the least. I mean, how dare I not be entertained by conservative 30fps Kirby, overpriced sushi striker and content starved Mario tennis as the only original content for the first half of the year?
2019 is shaping up to be really good though, so everything's fine. I accept their apologies.

You're the better man for sure.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsT1cSjGKls (thanks Atheerios in the gen 8 thread for the link)

YIRBF4C.png

Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.
That's talking about the start of the video series about art designers

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we will have two Directs this month (general and Pokémon) because I am so curious how the new Pokémon game will look like.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because those changes weren't necessary, as you said WW aged very well and those textures and models still look good for 2013. TP HD just needed more changes to make it look like a 2016 game. Even those changes you mention like better geometry were done half-heartly. I mean cool that the door in Malo Mart features more polygons, but Link's gauntlet and the Eldin bridge still look as blocky as before. On the lighting side, it needed a brand new engine with modern features like in WW HD. Lighting in TP HD was changed a bit, they reduced bloom made stuff brigher, but what it needed was a complete overhaul with all the features I mentioned before (especially dynamic shadows and bump mapping on the new textures.)
Anyway, we are going off topic here. It's nice that TP HD worked for you, but personally I needed more and I'm still disappointed that TP HD wasted so much potential to make it look like a modern game.
Maybe we can agree that Metroid Prime Trilogy should be better than both remasters!

I mean I think that TPHD looks like trash and WWHD looks gorgeous. But you just can't argue that WWHD had much work on it or even more "heart". WWHD was done in six months. TPHD took two whole years! It was just objectively a much bigger work and of a bigger scale. They were simply coming from way lower than with WW.

Considering that MP games aged quite well even today, I'm confident that the remastered look will be okay.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What you want is a remake, not a remaster

Cheppito

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope we will have two Directs this month (general and Pokémon) because I am so curious how the new Pokémon game will look like.

I don't think we'll see a Pokémon Direct coming this month. Maybe February fits better, even if it's only to show a logo and a name for the two editions of the game. That's the usual pattern for TPC.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
isn't it too soon to reveal the next pokemon? they gotta give let's go a few more months to sell

Well it's a new generation and it would make sense to start talking about it as soon as possible. X/Y were also revealed in January so it wouldn't surprise me to see Pokémon news this early.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Whats this talk about Pokemon Direct?
PLG was launch less than 2 months ago, there is no way they will show new Pokemon game so early.
I expeting Pokemon Direct in May again.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Whats this talk about Pokemon Direct?
PLG was launch less than 2 months ago, there is no way they will show new Pokemon game so early.
I expeting Pokemon Direct in May again.
No Way, new generations get announced early in the year since the beginning of Nintendo Directs, besides Nintendo wants to have something tangible to show at the Investors at the end of the Fiscal year in early April

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well it's a new generation and it would make sense to start talking about it as soon as possible. X/Y were also revealed in January so it wouldn't surprise me to see Pokémon news this early.

The games before X/Y were B/W 2 and they released in June in Japan and October WW so they had more time in the spotlight compared to what Let's Go would have if Gen 8 was shown in January.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No Way, new generations get announced early in the year since the beginning of Nintendo Directs, besides Nintendo wants to have something tangible to show at the Investors at the end of the Fiscal year in early April
Plus they have to have a gameplay trailer ready and public by mid April to go with the release of Detective Pikachu. Not having a trailer in front of their first hollywood movie would be a huge mistake

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
The games before X/Y were B/W 2 and they released in June in Japan and October WW so they had more time in the spotlight compared to what Let's Go would have if Gen 8 was shown in January.
But Let's GO and Gen 8 cater to two completely different audiences, they made it abundantly clear when they specified "Core RPG title" and "game for the GO players"

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
New gens are usually announced earlier than remakes and third versions, X/Y announcement came only three months after B&W2 western release.

An announcement would also help Switch sales.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is there any evidence that announcing gen 8 will cut into let's go sales anyway? I'm not expecting an announcement in January but I don't think they need to delay it to give let's go room. If anything the increased interest in the Pokémon brand may well benefit let's go.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
Why would they announce Pokémon gen 8 before April having all Nintendo games to be dated (and announced)?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Agreed. Really hoping for standard and pointer control options.

Pointer would not be possible, the joycons only have Gyro, but they can make a really good emulation. Let's wait and see how Resident Evil 4 turns out, and we will have a pretty good notion :)

Yes, every cel shaded games age better. BoTW will look much better than God of War years from now.
TPHD is a good port with all things considered and graphic style. Of course it could have been 60fps, but is alright.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Is there any evidence that announcing gen 8 will cut into let's go sales anyway? I'm not expecting an announcement in January but I don't think they need to delay it to give let's go room. If anything the increased interest in the Pokémon brand may well benefit let's go.
It could actually boost sales. USUM saw an increase in sales after Let's Go announcement. I remember a 60% bump when Let's Go pre-orders went up.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It could actually boost sales. USUM saw an increase in sales after Let's Go announcement. I remember a 60% bump when Let's Go pre-orders went up.

That was at the end of May though, after USUM sales would have died off (6 months after release). Let's Go is still selling at the moment so it's doubtful if Gen 8 was announced this month or early next month that it would boost sales.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
They never said this
Core RPG Pokémon Title

Let's GO is obviously made to introduce the GO players to the main series as implied by the name, the catching mechanic, the Pokémon GO interaction and the Gen 1 setting, I can't find a source right now because I only find Let's GO Reviews while doing a quick research but the developers said so themselves in various interviews, they didn't opt out the possibility for regular Pokémon fans to play the game, but they made it clear that they would find interest in different parts of the game i.e. experiencing Kanto in co-op or the post-game content.

To make the division even more clear they re-announced the Core RPG Pokémon Game for 2019 in the same event where they unveiled Let's GO

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Core RPG Pokémon Title

Let's GO is obviously made to introduce the GO players to the main series as implied by the name, the catching mechanic, the Pokémon GO interaction and the Gen 1 setting, I can't find a source right now because I only find Let's GO Reviews while doing a quick research but the developers said so themselves in various interviews, they didn't opt out the possibility for regular Pokémon fans to play the game, but they made it clear that they would find interest in different parts of the game i.e. experiencing Kanto in co-op or the post-game content.

To make the division even more clear they re-announced the Core RPG Pokémon Game for 2019 in the same event where they unveiled Let's GO
What he actually said was a Pocket Monsters Series title, the same description as he used when revealing Let's Go. Core RPG is one of two synonyms the west uses for main series. With the actual Japanese statements there is no differentiation between Let's Go and the other main titles

Also we don't capitalise the Go in Let's Go :P

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Core RPG Pokémon Title

Trust me you don't wanna go toe-to-toe with Serebii on Pokemon minutiae!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Also we don't capitalise the Go in Let's Go :P
I know it's been Pokémon GO and Pokémon: Let's Go (with an exclamation mark after the "Go" in Let's Go in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan; that exclamation mark is moved to the end of Pikachu and Eevee's names in all other regional variants of the title) since both of their inceptions, but it still kills my OCD.
(I know my opinion doesn't matter as the person who made this thread, but still.)

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

I am pretty sure that will not have Pokemon Direct this month (like some people suggesting) and that potentail Pokemon Direct will be much closer to May than to January in any case.

Sorry king, is it about days or months?

Its expected next year, or week later in worst case.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If you're expecting Pokémon to be BotW tier, so revolutionary rather than evolutionary, you're setting yourself up for disappointment

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If you're expecting Pokémon to be BotW tier, so revolutionary rather than evolutionary, you're setting yourself up for disappointment
BotW tier could mean a lot of things :

- Breaking conventions
- Come back to the roots (Zelda 1 for BotW)
- Bigger in scale, most ambitious to date.

It is probably the 3rd point.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Actually textures were worked on, but even if they weren't the game would still look more timeless.

That said I actually really liked TPHD and thought they did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.