• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Wasn't this mentioned earlier? Or I was muddled by some speculation, making me believe it's true?

Are you referring to my post?

If so, no.

We knew that he would become a director at Nintendo in Japan, but this position at The Pokémon Company is new.

He's basically replacing Shuntaro Furukawa who occupied this position until now.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Are you referring to my post?

If so, no.

We knew that he would become a director at Nintendo in Japan, but this position at The Pokémon Company is new.

He's basically replacing Shuntaro Furukawa who occupied this position until now.
But Furukawa is still an Outside Director of the Pokemon Company. Did you read the document you posted?

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps it's a transitional period, where Shibata gets introduced to his new job by Furukawa (and Furukawa in the meantime as well to his new job as CEO).
Oh. Now that I read it closer, this is a document about the election of internal directors for the board of Nintendo for the Investor meeting later this month, which now makes more sense. That means, it isn't clear if Furukawa has stopped being an outside director for the Pokemon Company (for reference Nintendo has 3 or so Outside Directors).

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh. Now that I read it closer, this is a document about the election of internal directors for the board of Nintendo for the Investor meeting later this month, which now makes more sense. That means, it isn't clear if Furukawa has stopped being an outside director for the Pokemon Company (for reference Nintendo has 3 or so Outside Directors).
Shibata became Outside Director in May. Furukawa will become CEO on 28 June. It would make most sense if he quits the Outside Director role when he becomes CEO, which would mean he currently still is Outside Director, alongside Shibata.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
But Furukawa is still an Outside Director of the Pokemon Company. Did you read the document you posted?

He's not.

Note the lack of the wording "to present":

l6bTYek.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/convocation_notice1806e.pdf

Compared to last year's document:

zBcezs7.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/convocation_notice1706e.pdf

He was outside director of The Pokémon Company until April:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426_5e.pdf

Then Satoru Shibata took over in May as we can see in today's document.

Last edited:

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Was gonna post the Shibata stuff. We still don't know who is taking over NoE prez duties, right?

According to an Italian website that contacted Nintendo Italia about a month ago, Koji Miyake will be the Chairman/CEO and Stephan Bole the new President/COO.

"Dal 1 luglio, Nintendo of Europe adotterà una nuova struttura di corporate management", ci ha spiegato Nintendo Italia. " Mr Koji Miyake, attualmente in NCL assumerà la posizione di Chairman/CEO, Mr Stephan Bole diventerà Presidente/COO (Chief operating officer), Mr Luciano Pereña diventerà CFO (Chief financial officer), e Mr Laurent Fischer diventerà CMO (Chief marketing officer) ".
Source: https://multiplayer.it/notizie/1984...nuova-struttura-per-la-divisione-europea.html

Koji Miyake (Chairman/CEO):

6d96O2l.png

Stephan Bole (President/COO):

cMMq7dr.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
^ cheers!

Interesting. No idea who Miyake is or what he's done but I am actually surprised that we're getting someone from Nintendo of France as the new Shibata.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
^ cheers!

Interesting. No idea who Miyake is or what he's done but I am actually surprised that we're getting someone from Nintendo of France as the new Shibata.

I think Stephan Bole is a great choice, he spent years at the command of Nintendo France, and France is one of the best markets for Nintendo in Europe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge update next week!

Weeeee

He's not.

Note the lack of the wording "to present":

l6bTYek.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/convocation_notice1806e.pdf

Compared to last year's document:

zBcezs7.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/convocation_notice1706e.pdf

He was outside director of The Pokémon Company until April:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180426_5e.pdf

Then Satoru Shibata took over in May as we can see in today's document.

Pretty interesting information.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone volunteer to make some cool developer banners like the microsoft fan thread?

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
So this seems to be Nintendo's original first-party lineup for 2018:

- Kirby Star Allies
- Nintendo Labo
- Sushi Striker
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Super Mario Party
- Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Damn.

Last edited:

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
So this seems to be Nintendo's original first-party lineup for 2018:

- Kirby Star Allies
- Nintendo Labo
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Super Mario Party
- Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Damn.
Only real first party game for the second half is fucking Mario Party. Smash is Bandai and Pokemon is Game Freak.
Like wtf is happening?

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I remember back in January when those of us who were disappointed with the Direct mini were scolded mercilessly by the diehards. It was a sign of things to come.

It's not new for Nintendo to be unable to keep a steady pipeline of titles, but... in year 2 of a smash hit console? With 3DS on life support?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Last year their modus operandi was having at least one Nintendo developed game per month. Now we get one game in six months. If you don't see the problem with that I don't know what I can tell you.

They had 6 Nintendo developed games (using the same criteria as you) last year, over 10 months.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last year their modus operandi was having at least one Nintendo developed game per month. Now we get one game in six months. If you don't see the problem with that I don't know what I can tell you.

how is that true? Mario Party is october, Pokémon is November and Smash is december. If anything, only in August and September so far there's no games

And last year they hadn't that much

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I don't see the problem with games being developed externally, those do count for me. EPD can only do so much on their own (but this year they're releasing... only Labo?!).

The problem is that this year's lineup is lacking not only in quantity but also in innovation, ambition, scope and variety. They're not even releasing any large single-player focused games for the whole of 2018.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Is still unacceptable to say Retro is in trouble?

I mean, they had a game cancelled according to rumors and their lead game designer left (confirmed) and their creative director is rumored to have been demoted.

So, uhh, things obviously haven't gone well.

But I don't think StarFox Racing has been in development for very long at all (like, probably summer 2016) and Nintendo probably just ate 3 years of cancelled development for Retro. StarFox Racing coming out summer 2019 would probably be a fine dev cycle.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Retro Studios have missed five straight E3 conferences in a row.

What is going on over there? This game that frustrated them must have seriously have taken it's toll.

Oct 26, 2017
Retro Studios have missed five straight E3 conferences in a row.

What is going on over there? This game that frustrated them must have seriously have taken it's toll.

I mean, they were working on a game that seemingly got cancelled back in September 2017 (when their lead game designer left the company)

So, uhh, that obviously hurt their productivity a lot to be working on a game for so long that was enough of a dumpster fire to get cancelled.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is still unacceptable to say Retro is in trouble?

I don't think they're in trouble. If you go by the rumors they were working on a game that sorta devolved into development hell and shelved, possibly cancelled, and then started working on Star Fox GP. Insiders have said Star Fox won't be coming out this year, so it was unlikely they would be at E3, since Retro's games are usually announced the same year they are released.

Star Fox in StarLink all but sealed it yesterday. There's no way they'd be putting out or even announcing a Star Fox game with anything remotely close to traditional space flight in the same time as Ubisoft's game, but people didn't really seem to listen to me about that.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is such a weird company. Sometimes they know what they are doing but then are this strange Nintendo things:
- The Online Service
- whatever they will do with their classic games
- their mess with websites and eshops in different layouts for each region.
- The lack of functionality of the switch software.
Of all of things we don't if it is meant to be or work in progress.
But I think (or now after the e3 direct I hope) they are improving.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just reporting in to say Nintendo crushed my enthusiasm for the Switch yesterday. I feel stupid for believing things had changed when they combined all their development resources under one umbrella, and all on one platform. Last year was great, but that was a given with how long a build up they had for the Switch launch. 2018 was always the real test in my eyes, and they've failed that test.

Super Mario Party isn't actually an EPD game... is it?
Nope. EPD's entire output in 2018 might end up being Labo and the Captain Toad port.

I don't think they're in trouble. If you go by the rumors they were working on a game that sorta devolved into development hell and shelved, possibly cancelled, and then started working on Star Fox GP. Insiders have said Star Fox won't be coming out this year, so it was unlikely they would be at E3, since Retro's games are usually announced the same year they are released.
Wouldn't spending years on a project that devolved into a development hell kind of be the definition of trouble?

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Nope. EPD's entire output in 2018 might end up being Labo and the Captain Toad port.
Madness!
So as it stands:

Developed

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1, 2, Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Nintendo LABO Toy-Con 01: Variety
Nintendo LABO Toy-Con 02: Robot
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Published

Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together
Flip Wars
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Related
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Pokemon Let's Go: Pikachu! / Eevee!

2017: (9 months)
12 titles
2018:
13 titles

Still hitting an average of a title-per-month
Cue the 2019 EPD slew

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madness!
So as it stands:

Developed

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1, 2, Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Nintendo LABO Toy-Con 01: Variety
Nintendo LABO Toy-Con 02: Robot
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Published

Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together
Flip Wars
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Related
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Pokemon Let's Go: Pikachu! / Eevee!

2017: (9 months)
12 titles
2018:
13 titles

Still hitting an average of a title-per-month
Cue the 2019 EPD slew
Counting Bayo 1/2 as separate games? Labo kits? The 2017 lineup is much more impressive.

You also forgot Pokken in 2017.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Counting Bayo 1/2 as separate games? Labo kits? The 2017 lineup is much more impressive.

You also forgot Pokken in 2017.
Hey they count Bayonetta and LABO as separate titles, not me!
Pokken is there under 'related' as it was published by The Pokemon Company but is still obviously... related.
Games that are missing are stuff like Octopath, Go Vaction, Skyrim and other instances where Nintendo handle publishing duties for specific regions only...

2017 was undoubtably superior I agree, 3 (okay, okay 2) internally developed titles in a full calendar year (14 months considering Odyssey was Oct) is absolutely ridiculous.
Putting out so many ports to plug gaps in your new systems second year is just wow.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just reporting in to say Nintendo crushed my enthusiasm for the Switch yesterday. I feel stupid for believing things had changed when they combined all their development resources under one umbrella, and all on one platform. Last year was great, but that was a given with how long a build up they had for the Switch launch. 2018 was always the real test in my eyes, and they've failed that test.

Well according to Matt, a very trustworthy insider, they apparently have a ton of stuff they could've shown but chose to focus on Smash and Pokemon instead.

Which, don't get me wrong, is an extremely baffling and infuriating decision IMO, but it seems they do have a lot of other games still. No idea if they'll release this year though.

Wouldn't spending years on a project that devolved into a development hell kind of be the definition of trouble?

No, not if that happened years ago like the rumors suggest. Sure, they were likely in trouble then (2015-2016) but if they've been working on Star Fox since then I don't see any reason to panic.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Well according to Matt, a very trustworthy insider, they apparently have a ton of stuff they could've shown but chose to focus on Smash and Pokemon instead.

Oh shit, I didn't see this. Could you link to it? (Sorry, there are so many Nintendo threads going right now that I can't keep them straight.)

Are these titles coming out in 2018? If so, jesus christ Nintendo.

Deleted member 42164

Apr 15, 2018
Well, I do believe that Nintendo counted on Fire Emblem and Yoshi making it for 2018 when they planned out the year.
Pure speculation of course but it does seem like this is an extremely unfortunate situation for everyone.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Which, don't get me wrong, is an extremely baffling and infuriating decision IMO, but it seems they do have a lot of other games still. No idea if they'll release this year though.
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I think they showed what they have as far as retail releases for the remainder of the year, just like they did in January for the first half of this year.

Of course I believe something smaller could get announced later, but nothing substantial. N64 Classic seems likely.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I'm not buying it. I think they showed what they have as far as retail releases for the remainder of the year, just like they did in January for the first half of this year.

Of course I believe something smaller could get announced later, but nothing substantial. N64 Classic seems likely.

Matt has proven to be reliable numerous times. "Not buying it" seems kind of ridiculous when it comes from him at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.