Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious about two projects.

- The unannounced project from Masahiro Sakurai
- The unannounced project from Hideki Kamiya

Wondering if one (or both) of these is a Nintendo funded title.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is risky, I agree. Perhaps the racing should be the main part and the other stuff should be side quests.
Atleast we know Nintendo had no problem making another F-Zero for the Wii U. The franchise isn't dead if they tried making one. If it went through that would've meant F-Zero was on every console except Wii. It probably would been a straight up racing game only, but who knows. I hope they can find someone who wants to do it.

Oct 25, 2017

I have a hunch Kamiya's game is Platinum's indie game Inaba teased a month or two ago.

As for Sakurai, I really really hope he's both supervising Smash for Switch and directing a new title published by Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can already see a lot of YouTube videos are going to be made for Nintendo Switches one year anniversary. Lots of discussions on how good it was and the difference between it and Wii Y.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Well we actually kinda do for first party at least, and I'm glad you think it's not weak but for many people who had a Wii U and have played those games it is. It's not exactly shocking people don't want to rebuy games they already have and have beaten.

Youre talking to a Wii U owner (former) and I have no problem playing the Definitive version of these games on my Switch. And I wasnt referring to 1st party only. I was referring to all Switch titles.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Do we even know if Sakurai is actually working on anything directly? Some of his recent interviews and comments sound like someone who wants to take a step back/away.

Oct 26, 2017
A few problems with F-Zero:

1. There are very few arcade racers other than Mario Kart, most racing games are open world stuff (LOL no, that wouldn't work with F-Zero) and or sim racers... However, I'm not sure there's really any evidence that arcade racers are unpopular, people just stopped making them.

2. The entire point of F-Zero is how thrilling it is and it's thrilling in part because of the tension you can have from dying at any time and the insane speed. Both things make it very hard for casual players to enjoy.

Part 1 may be an issue, but maybe not. Part 2 is an issue.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds absolutely awful... why would anyone want this?
What? Y'all can trash it all you want but captain falcon is PERFECT for a character action game, he's got the big personality for it.

His punching moveset in Smash is what he's most known for. They should capitalize on that. Platinum could do a great job.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Y'all can trash it all you want but captain falcon is PERFECT for a character action game, he's got the big personality for it.

His punching moveset in Smash is what he's most known for. They should capitalize on that. Platinum could do a great job.
What personality? He's a goofy looking avatar that sits in a car and has a side game appearance where he yells "punch". Everyone else in the series is just Rare-level ugly. F-Zero is great because of the racing and the crazy courses and speed. Take that out and you're left with something even more dumb than Power Rangers.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Capitalize? He's not that popular, well in my opinion, something like that isn't going to sell enough to put the time behind it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalize? He's not that popular, well in my opinion, something like that isn't going to sell enough to put the time behind it.

Exactly. Nintendo may not want to take that risk. The F-Zero games didn't sell well, but they were willing to make another one. Adding more to it other than racing is more money to spend and there's no guarantee it will sell so much better to be worth it.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm probably a fool but I hope it's a sort of mecha title, even if he only bought a mecha figure just to use it's blaster as model for his next game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's only one Captain that matters and it's Captain Rainbow btw. I want rated M Captain Rainbow games from Nintendo.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I love Captain Rainbow and all, but I don't think it necessarily needs an M rating. The only part I think might be questionable is that Birdo quest line from the original... really, a T should be fine.

Of course, this is assuming that there ever would be a follow-up to Captain Rainbow. The chances of that are close to 0.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea will likely be implemented into the next Zelda/be Zelda related, unfortunately.

I'd love to see him tackle a new IP though.
I don't see any reason to believe it would. If anything, it's more likely that hos new IP will be release in the interim while the next Zelda is in preproduction

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem too relevant to whether Aonuma can actually release a new IP? What matters is if Nintendo actually assigns him another 100 people from EPD to make this game to go along with the 100-150 people working on BotW2.
It matters in the context of the person I originally quoted. Rolling Aonuma's thief idea into the next Zelda doesn't make much sense given it would be years away. And with Nintendo on a new IP streak, I'd doubt they would ask for something new only to can it for a game that's 4-5 years away.

The thief game is coming

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem too relevant to whether Aonuma can actually release a new IP? What matters is if Nintendo actually assigns him another 100 people from EPD to make this game to go along with the 100-150 people working on BotW2.

I thought he specifically said Nintendo was pushing him hard to make this new IP and also work on Zelda separately.

So I'd imagine that amount of staff seems likely, right?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are reading too much into Aonuma's thief game. It was just a casual comment, and to his own admission he said he always has idea but always end up with Zelda. With how BotW did I doubt that'll change now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People read into it because of the whole Miyamoto thing about not being allowed to talk about his hobbies. So for Aonuma to come out and explicitly talk about game ideas, people feel like he had to have been given approval.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are reading too much into Aonuma's thief game. It was just a casual comment, and to his own admission he said he always has idea but always end up with Zelda. With how BotW did I doubt that'll change now.

Huh? This is the quote:

"Actually, Nintendo has been telling me to create a new IP. But then, they're also telling me to make more Zelda games. I can't really share much; I'm not sure I'm allowed to say anything. But I really like the idea of a game where I can live as a thief. That's all I'll say."

That seems extremely clear that A) this thief game is real and B) it will be a new IP and not Zelda, since he explicitly listed them as different projects.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Huh? This is the quote:

That seems extremely clear that A) this thief game is real and B) it will be a new IP and not Zelda, since he explicitly listed them as different projects.

A game where you play as Thief Link wouldn't contradict his statement (at least the one I'm seeing in your post). It's much vaguer than it sounds, as he admits Nintendo not knowing what they exactly want from him.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A game where you play as Thief Link wouldn't contradict his statement (at least the one I'm seeing in your post). It's much vaguer than it sounds.

He's a Nintendo employee. Nintendo telling him to make a new IP surely means they are paying him to make a new IP, right?

I took that quote as him feeling stretched a bit thin with the amount of things Nintendo wants from him, those things being lots of Zelda games and now this new IP.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your edit-
as he admits Nintendo not knowing what they exactly want from him.

I don't see this in that quote at all. Most producers/directors at Nintendo work on many games at once, Aonuma is no different. Nintendo telling him to make a new IP and also a new Zelda is nothing strange, he can do both at once. I don't see it as Nintendo being unsure of what they want him to work on, but rather Nintendo wanting him to work on a lot at once.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It matters in the context of the person I originally quoted. Rolling Aonuma's thief idea into the next Zelda doesn't make much sense given it would be years away. And with Nintendo on a new IP streak, I'd doubt they would ask for something new only to can it for a game that's 4-5 years away.

The thief game is coming

Why wouldn't they can that game? Skyward Sword was a financial failure and maybe Nintendo thought that Zelda needed a break.

And then BotW won unanimous GotY and became the best selling Zelda ever and is probably going to end up being the best selling non-Skyrim RPG ever.

It really depends on if you think Nintendo is willing to assign two AAA projects to Aonuma even though Nintendo EPD can struggle to make more than 4-5 AAA games at a time. I think Nintendo EPD 9's staff would probably be better served on an Aonuma game than anything else, but I don't know if they would agree or if they would fit well with that project depending on what it was.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't they can that game? Skyward Sword was a financial failure and maybe Nintendo thought that Zelda needed a break.

And then BotW won unanimous GotY and became the best selling Zelda ever and is probably going to end up being the best selling non-Skyrim RPG ever.

It really depends on if you think Nintendo is willing to assign two AAA projects to Aonuma even though Nintendo EPD can struggle to make more than 4-5 AAA games at a time. I think Nintendo EPD 9's staff would probably be better served on an Aonuma game than anything else, but I don't know if they would agree or if they would fit well with that project depending on what it was.

I don't think Nintendo have ever said that SS was a commercial/financial failure? It sold over 3 million copies on a very successful system. Certainly creatively the franchise hit a brick wall but it wasn't a failure I don't think.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Nintendo have ever said that SS was a commercial/financial failure? It sold over 3 million copies on a very successful system. Certainly creatively the franchise hit a brick wall but it wasn't a failure I don't think.

Skyward Sword sold half of what Twilight Princess sold and sold around 1/3 to 1/4 of what BotW will sell.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
thiefonuma4dpe1.jpg

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword sold half of what Twilight Princess sold and sold around 1/3 to 1/4 of what BotW will sell.

Indeed, the series can sell better than SS but I still don't see how SS was a failure. In Japan it sold terribly I know that much but in most other territories it sold well. Barring anything official from Nintendo proving otherwise of course but as I said I've yet to see that.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You're ruining this discussion by making things up. Neither of these things happened. The first is something they would never comment on publicly and nobody here knows for a fact what their budget/returns were and for the second, well, eighteen months later they had two new major Zelda release on the docket for that year. Not much of a break.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so Skyward Sword obviously made money.

No shit.

But the point of a historic franchise is to do as well as the prior games in the franchise or make it grow.

1/2 of your prior game's sales and 1/3 of the next game's sales is extremely poor.

And I obviously meant a break after BotW.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

man, you're going way away from the original tangent.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Idk how you come up with two AAA games to Aonuma. His thief game doesn't have to be AAA.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I would think it would be as resource intensive as Splatoon or Animal Crossing or Mario Kart or Arms?
Blue skies, the only thing we have is "game where you're living as a thief." That could be a tiny eShop game, could be a full blown huge scope adventure. Just because Aonuma is Zelda guy and console Zelda is always associated with big budget system seller epics doesn't mean anything he'll do will fit that bill.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
"Financial failure" is pretty harsh, but yeah, Skyward Sword was obviously a sales disappointment for Nintendo. That's kind of what lead to Nintendo creating Breath of the Wild in the first place.

Kinda like how the less-than-stellar sales and general reception of Mario Sunshine led to the more linear Galaxy/3D ___ games, and how the low sales of 3D World were probably a factor into what led Nintendo back to the open sandbox style of 3D Mario in the form of Odyssey.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Financial failure" is pretty harsh, but yeah, Skyward Sword was obviously a sales disappointment for Nintendo. That's kind of what lead to Nintendo creating Breath of the Wild in the first place.

Kinda like how the less-than-stellar sales and general reception of Mario Sunshine led to the more linear Galaxy/3D ___ games, and how the low sales of 3D World were probably a factor into what led Nintendo back to the open sandbox style of 3D Mario in the form of Odyssey.
There was no "low sales" for 3D Mario. It sold 5 million+ on the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.