• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
Probably around or before Welcome Amiibo released. I feel like plans for a potential Wii U title (based on the Plaza) were scrapped and they decided to develop Happy Home Designer/update New Leaf instead.

Aya Kyogoku, who's one of the producers for the series hasn't worked on anything since Welcome Amiibo, except maybe Pocket Camp.

There doesn't seem to be much crossover between the staff of New Leaf and Splatoon 2.

I think Kyogoku is working on Labo (she retweeted the announcement that there was going to be a video)

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Checking Welcome Amiibo's staff credits to see that outside of the producers, none of the staff had worked on Animal Crossing New Leaf and the game was extremely small budget with only 22 staffers.

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/animal-crossing-new-leaf-welcome-amiibo

Isao Moro was the director for New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, and Welcome Amiibo which was why I mentioned the latter in particular.

But yeah, there was more crossover between New Leaf and Happy Home Designer compared to Welcome Amiibo, which would make sense since there were very few people working on it.

I think Kyogoku is working on Labo (she retweeted the announcement that there was going to be a video)
It could have been a general retweet but it would be interesting for someone who's been part of Animal Crossing since City Folk to move onto something else. Producers tend to stick with the same group.

Then again, I don't think we know what group is making Labo yet.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor Pikmin 4 was going to be some kind of reboot or change to the series? I'm sad we're still not hearing anything in it other than the yearly Miyamoto update that they're working on it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Animal Crossing's this year. Animal Crossing, like Zelda, Mario and Pokemon is a trump card. You pull something like that out if you want major sales at a certain time of year. I don't think it'll fit with Smash and Fire Emblem definitely releasing this year and Pokemon most likely releasing this year. If Nintendo was smart they would position Animal Crossing as a Summer title where kids are off school so they'll get the most engagement from the game. It worked splendidly for New Leaf so it will probably work just as well for whatever the next game is.

Do you think Retro is coming this year?
No. But they're kind of a wild card so who can tell.

Last edited:

atarixe

Jan 6, 2018
My 2 cents:

Rest of the year we'll see titles that Nintendo already showed us (Yoshi, Mario Tennis, and Fire Emblem) along with Smash Bros, NSMBU+, and Pokèmon. This seems like a 20-million worthy lineup that Nintendo predicted for this FY.
I think sometime in the summer Nin will give a big third party game its own month, something like GTA V. Just a shot in the dark though, this year needs somethin spicy.

I agree with Spyder_Monkey on how in 2019 AC will see a summer release, MP4 will probably be their holiday title, and some smaller yet notible games to fill in the spaces like Mario Party, Pikmin 4, the new thief IP, Mario and Luigi, a Xenoblade 1+X bundle, etc. I guess Bayonetta 3 will have to be a early 2019 game or perhaps September, just so that it's not too close to the other big games.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Discussion of Aonuma's thief game keeps coming up, but he already walked back his comments on it and said he'd rather keep working on Zelda. The odds of whatever he had in mind being integrated into BotW's follow-up are pretty high.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
For a new fighting game IP, ARMS did alright. The question now is how Nintendo can get it to grow when they eventually do a sequel (be it near the end of the Switch's life or near the beginning of the successor's life). The devs did a solid job of addressing some of the complaints about the game at launch, with the only glaring issue left to address for the sequel is the Arcade Mode needing to be more robust (which we saw a taste of with Dr. Coyle's boss cutscenes).

I was talking about content density more then anything else. In general the ARMS team has done a great job supporting/updating the game. Slightly unrelated but does anyone else see Dr Coyle and think that she looks like the love child of Samus Aran and DK64's jack in a box kremlin boss? Anyway back on topic. As to where ARMS goes from here.

ARMS control scheme is very intuitive for people who dont play video games/kids. More casual mini game modes (like basketball/volleyball) that teach specific gameplay mechanics in a way that make them both fun party games as well as useful teaching tools ie Basketball,Volleyball and Skillshot seems like the logical next step.

As for the competitive/esports side. You'd need to ask someone who is at that level. An improved spectator mode and the ability to watch notable organized bouts via the game launcher would be welcome. Maybe have fights between professionals for a few hours as a way to kick off "party crash" events.

More story and more locations would also be a plus. Character numbers seem fine for now though some characters could also use some slight tweaks. IE Springman could use more of a Surfing motif added to his character. Kid Cobra as a skater feels redundant with Min Min being a skater and would benefit from a motorcross/BMX inspired tweak. Mechanica/Ribbongirl would benefit from a high school/college focused stage redesign. Especially with a motorcross kid cobra potentially needing a stage similar to mechanica's origional stage. More character skins in general would be great.

I'm not making any attempt to say that it's not an intellectual property. There was offense taken earlier that most people dismiss Labo; I say that's perfectly natural on a forum for video games.

I'll take you up on that bet. The higher the stakes the better. :P

Are we talking Wonder Woman or Black Panther levels of a global phenomena?

Not sure. Thats an extreme best case scenario. It really depends on how versatile the creative suit software is. A hugely positive thing Labo has going for it is that its perfect for 3 distinct niche's.

1. Edutainment. This is going to be a hit with the same kids and parents that would buy things like Lego and Mechano.

2. Women/People who instagram

Labo's asthetic is perfect for artist/creative people to make unique custom versions of the Labo items by painting them, colouring them with markers ect. The Labo cardboard products are going to photograph/mood board really well. The right marketing push could get Labo to move past the parents/kids/mummy blog audience and into the Art/design space as a bit of a fad. (If i were doing Marketing i would want the Chip and Jo from Fixerupper on Ellen playing with Labo as soon as possible.)

3. Hobbiests, especially those with 3D printers.

If the creative tools are robust enough people are going to start to make incredible Labo powered devices. These are going to youtube/insta really well and form a community similar to Mario Maker where skilled people are going to start pushing themselves to make the most impreasive labo powered creations possible.

Those 3 groups provide huge audiences by themselves. Combined. It could be really big.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm expecting:

-Animal Crossing Switch
-NSMBU Deluxe
-Smash Switch
-Fire Emblem
-Yoshi Switch

Pokemon and Retro's game will come in 2019
To be fair, it does seem like Game Freak's trying to get Gen 8(?) out this year. And unless the anime is planning on doing a filler arc after 2018, it's not like the Gen 7 anime is gonna have enough game material to make it through 2019 without slowing the pacing down to a crawl. Plus there's other stuff like the legendary Pokémon distribution ending on November rather than December that seem to indicate that Game Freak's hoping that they can finish Pokémon Switch in time for the 2018 holiday season.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So what are you guys betting this week?

Will there be a Direct or not?

If I were a betting man, I'd say no.

2 percent chance of one happening. I think we would have gotten hints at one by now.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
2 percent chance of one happening. I think we would have gotten hints at one by now.

This seems way too low to me. I could see the argument for, like, 10% or 25%, but if you think there's going to be a Direct between now and E3, this week would be the most likely time, right?

Given even odds, I would bet on a Direct happening between midnight tonight and 11:59 pm EST on Monday, March 5th. (I know that's slightly over a week, but it seems reasonably that the Direct could happen just after the anniversary weekend instead of just before.)

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
My 2 cents:

Rest of the year we'll see titles that Nintendo already showed us (Yoshi, Mario Tennis, and Fire Emblem) along with Smash Bros, NSMBU+, and Pokèmon. This seems like a 20-million worthy lineup that Nintendo predicted for this FY.
I think sometime in the summer Nin will give a big third party game its own month, something like GTA V. Just a shot in the dark though, this year needs somethin spicy.

I agree with Spyder_Monkey on how in 2019 AC will see a summer release, MP4 will probably be their holiday title, and some smaller yet notible games to fill in the spaces like Mario Party, Pikmin 4, the new thief IP, Mario and Luigi, a Xenoblade 1+X bundle, etc. I guess Bayonetta 3 will have to be a early 2019 game or perhaps September, just so that it's not too close to the other big games.

Good find, totally forgot they had NSBU in their back pocket, would be an ideal mass market port to the Switch. Pretty much agree wirh everything you mentioned.

Would never have thought of GTAV but LA Noire getting a port seemed totally out of the blue, a portable GTAV with a bunch of Shark Cards at $59 would sell incredibly well.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would go into 2018 with the aim to expand their Switch audience and only have Labo in April. Animal Crossing and/or Pokémon would be perfect for that. None of their other games they've announced for 2018 so far would help them reach their sales targets.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
This seems way too low to me. I could see the argument for, like, 10% or 25%, but if you think there's going to be a Direct between now and E3, this week would be the most likely time, right?

Given even odds, I would bet on a Direct happening between midnight tonight and 11:59 pm EST on Monday, March 5th. (I know that's slightly over a week, but it seems reasonably that the Direct could happen just after the anniversary weekend instead of just before.)
Well the idea of Nintendo Directs is to create a rapid news cycle for their games so, they do main ones once every 3 months or so to generate buzz for each quarter. The attention grabbed by the Direct Mini and the Labo trailer suggest to me that those served the role of a general Nintendo Direct for this quarter. That still leaves room for one around April before their E3 one. If I had to guess, I'd lean towards the week before Kirby Star Allies as it's generally good promotion for the game right before release and Nintendo seems to be positioning it as their big quarterly release. Though I figure there will be a game-specific Nintendo Direct in April/May probably for Pokemon with a late May / early June Direct Mini to clear out their 3DS lineup and summer games before E3.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Well the idea of Nintendo Directs is to create a rapid news cycle for their games so, they do main ones once every 3 months or so to generate buzz for each quarter. The attention grabbed by the Direct Mini and the Labo trailer suggest to me that those served the role of a general Nintendo Direct for this quarter. That still leaves room for one around April before their E3 one. If I had to guess, I'd lean towards the week before Kirby Star Allies as it's generally good promotion for the game right before release and Nintendo seems to be positioning it as their big quarterly release. Though I figure there will be a game-specific Nintendo Direct in April/May probably for Pokemon with a late May / early June Direct Mini to clear out their 3DS lineup and summer games before E3.

I highly doubt Nintendo is going to skip over the Switch's anniversary month. Like everyone stated multiple times before on ERA (including myself) the Mini Direct did not serve the purpose of a General Direct. Thats why its called Mini Direct, not General. I see a Direct if not this week,next week. Theres too many things without info for Nintendo to skip over to April. We havent even seen or heard a peep about the next OS update, which is due.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt Nintendo is going to skip over the Switch's anniversary month. Like everyone stated multiple times before on ERA (including myself) the Mini Direct did not serve the purpose of a General Direct. Thats why its called Mini Direct, not General. I see a Direct if not this week,next week. Theres too many things without info for Nintendo to skip over to April. We havent even seen or heard a peep about the next OS update, which is due.
To be fair the mini direct had as much info as a regular direct just without any 3DS news or major games to spotlight. I think there will be a direct in March but who knows when and honestly just let it be a surprise instead of letting every hour be a "reset the clock" moment (not talking about you specifically just, in general).

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
To be fair the mini direct had as much info as a regular direct just without any 3DS news or major games to spotlight. I think there will be a direct in March but who knows when and honestly just let it be a surprise instead of letting every hour be a "reset the clock" moment (not talking about you specifically just, in general).

Not really. Most of those games were ports minus Dark Souls and Mario Tennis. Doesnt make sense to make that a Direct. Not only that but with all the rumors and listings of games hinted for Switch, a General Direct is needed. Same thing about the next OS update. Pretty sure its going to be detailed in a Direct.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would go into 2018 with the aim to expand their Switch audience and only have Labo in April. Animal Crossing and/or Pokémon would be perfect for that. None of their other games they've announced for 2018 so far would help them reach their sales targets.

2018 still feels too early for a mainline Pokémon game. The 3DS received two spin-offs (Pokémon Rumble Blast and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) before finally getting a full-fledged release in the form of Pokémon X and Y in 2013, over two years after launch.

Unless the development schedule has been sped up, which it may have been based on Nintendo's proficiency in meeting release dates last year, I still think 2019 is when the series will properly debut on the Switch.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Most of those games were ports minus Dark Souls and Mario Tennis. Doesnt make sense to make that a Direct. Not only that but with all the rumors and listings of games hinted for Switch, a General Direct is needed. Same thing about the next OS update. Pretty sure its going to be detailed in a Direct.
It doesn't matter if its ports or not it's about the volume of announcements and that was typical of what usually gets announced for the Switch during directs. And firmware has never been mentioned in directs outside of a couple for the Wii U. They usually drop firmware announcements on social media and that's probably not going to change.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
It doesn't matter if its ports or not it's about the volume of announcements and that was typical of what usually gets announced for the Switch during directs. And firmware has never been mentioned in directs outside of a couple for the Wii U. They usually drop firmware announcements on social media and that's probably not going to change.

Yes it has on Wii U. It happened during Jan Direct 2014 if I remember correctly (the best Direct ever still). And like I said, it was called a Mini Direct for a reason. I like your realism on Nintendo announcements, but Nintendo doesnt call General Directs "Mini" at all. If anything, the Direct was a stop-gap until they finish up the General Direct.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it has on Wii U. It happened during Jan Direct 2014 if I remember correctly (the best Direct ever still). And like I said, it was called a Mini Direct for a reason. I like your realism on Nintendo announcements, but Nintendo doesnt call General Directs "Mini" at all. If anything, the Direct was a stop-gap until they finish up the General Direct.
It was "mini" because it was less than 15 minutes and came out of nowhere. If they called it a general direct there would be a lot of backlash.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Labo is a good way to start the fiscal year. I believe they are going to sell as much as last year at least, and probably better. Emily already talked about Smash, and there are other big games coming. remember that this time Nintendo is not the only company working on the device : )

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2018 still feels too early for a mainline Pokémon game. The 3DS received two spin-offs (Pokémon Rumble Blast and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) before finally getting a full-fledged release in the form of Pokémon X and Y in 2013, over two years after launch.

Unless the development schedule has been sped up, which it may have been based on Nintendo's proficiency in meeting release dates last year, I still think 2019 is when the series will properly debut on the Switch.

It's in Nintendo's and TPC's best interest to have people transition to Switch as soon as possible. A reason why the 3DS wasn't target platform for Pokémon until X&Y was backwards compatibility with the DS.

Labo is a good way to start the fiscal year. I believe they are going to sell as much as last year at least, and probably better. Emily already talked about Smash, and there are other big games coming. remember that this time Nintendo is not the only company working on the device : )

That doesn't really go against anything I'm saying which is that the currently announced lineup doesn't look like it'll drive units to the extent they're aiming for.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So what are you guys betting this week?

Will there be a Direct or not?

If I were a betting man, I'd say no.

My guess is still a direct on March 1st. Makes the most sense to me. They can outline their rewards system as soon as it starts, talk a bit about online in Sept, then highlight Kirby, give a date for HW and talk about the rest of the stuff they have pre E3.

That doesn't really go against anything I'm saying which is that the currently announced lineup doesn't look like it'll drive units to the extent they're aiming for.

TBF, we don't know anything about the lineup of the fiscal year outside of rumors. They want 20M from Apr 18- March 19. And so far the only games are Labo, HWD, DKTF, and Mario Tennis. There is still 9 months more for them to announce one or more big ticket items. We really don't know much about this year (or fiscal year) past June.

The 2nd year normally sees an uptick in sales anyway, so as long as they have some decent first party stuff along with the annual sports games, plus COD and more this year they can pull it off. If they have Pokemon they will easily exceed it.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
TBF, we don't know anything about the lineup of the fiscal year outside of rumors. They want 20M from Apr 18- March 19. And so far the only games are Labo, HWD, DKTF, and Mario Tennis. There is still 9 months more for them to announce one or more big ticket items. We really don't know much about this year (or fiscal year) past June.

The 2nd year normally sees an uptick in sales anyway, so as long as they have some decent first party stuff along with the annual sports games, plus COD and more this year they can pull it off. If they have Pokemon they will easily exceed it.

Labo is the wild card in the software/sales discussion. We don't really know what Nintendo's expectations are, but they could very easily be thinking that Labo will be the primary driver for Switch this year.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
There are so many rumors and speculation and stuff about smash, Pokemon, NSMBU coming this year and none about animal crossing... I really hope animal crossing comes out this year but I feel like we are overestimating the chances of it coming out so soon

We have octopath, Yoshi, BD fire emblem are also coming. So it seems like AC would make more sense to put in 2019 if indeed smash and pokemon are coming

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Labo is the wild card in the software/sales discussion. We don't really know what Nintendo's expectations are, but they could very easily be thinking that Labo will be the primary driver for Switch this year.

I feel like it's the opposite based on Reggie's comments. It seems like Labo is something they hope they can expand their player base with, but not really something they are depending on entirely for it to succeed.

And also going by the comments at their financial meeting it sounds like Labo is "one of a few" new initiatives they have to expand player base. So even if it fails their next thing might take off. And really most companies don't bank on new IPs to push sales, so it seems like they are appropriately cautious.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many rumors and speculation and stuff about smash, Pokemon, NSMBU coming this year and none about animal crossing... I really hope animal crossing comes out this year but I feel like we are overestimating the chances of it coming out so soon

We have octopath, Yoshi, BD fire emblem are also coming. So it seems like AC would make more sense to put in 2019 if indeed smash and pokemon are coming
We don't know if Pokemon will make it this year. Let's say Smash, NSMBU Deluxe, Fire Emblem and Yoshi release the second half of this year I think we will get at least one more game to this list. I still think it will be Animal Crossing or Retro's game. If not either could be early 2019.

We could possibly get a smaller new IP or a smaller IP in general from Nintendo in the second half.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh man, a game set in the OOT universe where you play as Shiek in those 7 years Link is asleep trying to help the world survive after Ganondorf takes control would be insane.
You might say, with Ganondorf on the throne and living in hiding, in the shadows, trying not to get discovered, you might be forced to "live as a thief" ............

The

Jan 10, 2018
Was the Funky Mode in Tropical Freeze confirmed to have been made by Retro or was it from a different studio porting it to the Switch?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious how Nintendo is gonna handle Fire Emblem going forward. FE 2018 is a mainline release without a doubt but if Shadows of Valentia we could see alternating mainline and Echoes-remakes releases in the future. Genealogy is next and would actually also scratch the same itch as the Awakening line of games does with the emphasis on character relationships.

Nintendo has been continually increasing their sales targets and projections for the Switch and I think it'll be the same for the next fiscal year. 20m is the absolute minimum, which is exactly why I think that we'll see these games until March 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.