• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Based on the rumoured Mario Tennis release date, I'd imagine Hyrule Warriors will slot in next to Labo in April.

January:
February:
Bayonetta 1+2 port
March: Kirby Star Allies
April: Labo & Hyrule Warriors port
May: DKC: Tropical Freeze port
June: Mario Tennis Aces

Extremely disappointing first half of the year for me as far as Nintendo output is concerned. Not interested in any of these, and it doesn't help that third parties are almost exclusively dumping last gen ports onto the system at the moment as well. If New Super Mario Bros. U and a Smash Bros. port with minor enhancements join Yoshi in Q3/4, then I don't have high hopes for the year in general.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the rumoured Mario Tennis release date, I'd imagine Hyrule Warriors will slot in next to Labo in April.

January:
February:
Bayonetta 1+2 port

Extremely disappointing first half of the year for me as far as Nintendo output is concerned. Not interested in any of these, and it doesn't help that third parties are almost exclusively dumping last gen ports onto the system at the moment as well. If New Super Mario Bros. U and a Smash Bros. port with minor enhancements join Yoshi in Q3/4, then I don't have high hopes for the year in general.

+ Fire Emblem.

We'll see more clearly what the year has for us after the next Direct first ans then ultimately after E3. I have high hopes that 3rd parties might help the line-up (Octopath, TWEWY, DQXI are already 3 games that I want + Dark Souls, Wolfenstein, Crash, South Park are being announced/teased and there are more games to come). I really think that the second half of the year will be packed with content and great games, both from Nintendo and 3rd parties.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The second half can save us. I'm not buying anything from Nintendo this first half, except Mario Tennis if it releases in the first half. I'm still good though because I have Xenoblade and Dragon Quest Builders to beat (I never knew how much fun I would have with this type of game).

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Yeah 1st half isn't too great but I feel like 2nd half will make up for it

Fire Emblem Yoshi Smash.. Pokemon? ac? I think 2018 can still be a phenomenal year

If we get smash + Pokémon or AC I may even like 2018 better. We will see by June. Only 3 more months!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect Mario Odyssey DLC announcement at E3. This will give them another chance to play it at the Treehouse.

Also, if Mario Tennis comes after E3, it will have a playable demo on the floor and Treehouse will play it. I'm also wondering since they did tournaments last year for Splatoon, Pokken and ARMS, maybe they'll do a Mario Tennis: Aces tournament at this E3.

Oh yeah they can do a Smash tournament too. Maybe how they did in 2014 where it was its own separate thing and we got Earthbound Beginnings announcement!

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I am keen for Fire Emblem (assuming it's more Echoes than Fates, anyway), but even with that...it's going to be hard for the year to rise above mediocrity for me.

I mean, it's very unlikely that Nintendo would release more than one Switch game per month, right? That gives us a maximum of six games that can come from July-December. We already know about Yoshi and Fire Emblem. I think a Smash Bros. port is inevitable at this point, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the rumour about New Super Mario Bros. U is true as well. That leaves two or maybe three unknown games.

Of that list, I'm only really keen for Fire Emblem. I love Smash Bros. but I played it to death on the Wii U. I barely put any time into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the same reason, so unless there's a decent amount of worthwhile additions I won't be biting on a re-release again. I basically have to hope that I really love the few E3 surprises, but it seems very likely that one of those is Animal Crossing, and that isn't a series I'm desperate for either lol.

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Here's my speculation for releases this year:
January: —
February: Bayonetta 1+2 + Luigi's Balloon World
April: Labo + Hyrule Warriors
May: DKC TF
July: Yoshi + Super Mario Odyssey DLC
August: Animal Crossing
September: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch
October: Fire Emblem Switch
November: New Super Mario Bros. DX (Wii + U) + Pokemon
December: Wonderful 101

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am keen for Fire Emblem (assuming it's more Echoes than Fates, anyway), but even with that...it's going to be hard for the year to rise above mediocrity for me.

I mean, it's very unlikely that Nintendo would release more than one Switch game per month, right? That gives us a maximum of six games that can come from July-December. We already know about Yoshi and Fire Emblem. I think a Smash Bros. port is inevitable at this point, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the rumour about New Super Mario Bros. U is true as well. That leaves two or maybe three unknown games.

Of that list, I'm only really keen for Fire Emblem. I love Smash Bros. but I played it to death on the Wii U. I barely put any time into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the same reason, so unless there's a decent amount of worthwhile additions I won't be biting on a re-release again. I basically have to hope that I really love the few E3 surprises, but it seems very likely that one of those is Animal Crossing, and that isn't a series I'm desperate for either lol.

What Switch games did you buy in 2017 ?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • FIFA 18
  • Super Mario Odyssey
...along with a bunch of indie games.

I essentially bought the system at launch for Breath of the Wild, and don't regret that whatsoever. I was very happy with 2017 overall. Even though 2018 is super disappointing so far, I know that 2019 will be better. Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 are all big tentpole games that I'm interested in.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is would the switch hit 35m sold this year if FE, Smash, AC, NSMBDX, and Pokemon all release around the holidays?

The more I think about it the more it seems like overkill for no reason. Tbh I don't think Smash, Animal Crossing, NSMBU+ and Pokémon need to release the same holiday. One of those games should be bumped to early 2019 like March 2019. Have a really big game that appeals to a lot of people for that time.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • FIFA 18
  • Super Mario Odyssey
...along with a bunch of indie games.

I essentially bought the system at launch for Breath of the Wild, and don't regret that whatsoever. I was very happy with 2017 overall. Even though 2018 is super disappointing so far, I know that 2019 will be better. Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 are all big tentpole games that I'm interested in.

I wouldnt give up on 2018 just yet ;)

I think that 3rd party support will be significantly stronger and that might put the 2018 line up on par with 2017. Moreover, 1 or 2 of the 3 games you mentionned might release in 2018.

Plus as far as indies are concerned, this year will great with excellent games like Celeste, Hollow Knight ...

PS : Didnt you like the Octopath demo ? That is a great 2018 title imo.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

January:
February:
Bayonetta 1+2 port

All of the ports actually made me go back to my WiiU and start knocking some of these games out. So that was good for the backlog. Hopefully there will be few ports in the back half of the year.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think that 3rd party support will be significantly stronger and that might put the 2018 line up on par with 2017. Moreover, 1 or 2 of the 3 games you mentionned might release in 2018.
I really can't see Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 making 2018 anymore. I don't believe that Game Freak started development on Pokemon Switch until mid-2016 at the earliest, and two years isn't enough time for their first console mainline game. Didn't we get some sort of confirmation recently that Metroid was fairly early in development with Bamco Singapore? So that one seems a ways away too. Nah, the big holiday game will be Animal Crossing imo. Retro's game also has to be close, right? Right? :(

As for third party games...eh? I might grab Valkyria Chronicles 4 assuming it's not delayed too far from the PS4 release date. I have no interest in playing Dark Souls in handheld mode, so I might as well get it for another system given the performance will be much better. The Octopath demo didn't completely sell me on the game, but if there's a strong positive buzz around it at launch I may give it a second look. Dragon Quest XI is another game where it really depends on how wide the gap is between the PS4 and Switch release.

I've already played Hollow Knight, but will probably pick it up on the Switch anyway. Inside and Wargroove as well. Generally not a fan of 2D platformers, so Celeste isn't for me.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

January:
February:
Bayonetta 1+2 port

There's no way to spin it. The first half is absolutely brutal. Hopefully Nintendo can pull some Surprises for the second half to make it up for us

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First half of 2018 is rather weak and the fact that it includes Bayo 1, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors and DKC doesn't help. Another "mid-sized" title like ARMS or Mario & Rabbids could have helped here. I hope that Mario Tennis Aces has a meaty single player mode at least.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Mario tennis for April, fire emblem for June and Yoshi for July would make it better. At this point I don't expect anything brand new before July but I guess you never know
I really thought Yoshi would have been fully revealed by now with a july launch. It's so weird how it was playable at e3, yet it doesn't even have a title yet.

TZchassis

Oct 27, 2017
What Zelda games do you think we will get this year?

Afaik we get new releases every 2 years on average while we have ports, remakes and spinoffs on the years in between. We have Hyrule Warriors but it's a port of a spin-off so I hope it's not the only one we're getting this year.

Best case scenario is something interesting (Zelda Maker, Four Swords Sequel, etc..) but I don't think any of that would happen this year. Nintendo clearly showed us that they're happy porting Wii U titles so WWHD & TPHD are they easiest options. Gezzo can probably upscale and remaster OOT & MM in HD as well which would take a little bit more effort and resources.

I find it hard to believe that they would remaster SS before releasing those but many think that's what most likely to happen. Why would they do that? Would people be less interested in a SS remaster if the other titles were released first?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I can't lie. I can't afford a Switch yet, so I'm low key happy they haven't announced more than 3 titles I want to get for it so far.

I probably won't make it through the year and keep that the same, though.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is ignoring it? The lineup is fine for non Wii U owners. It just sucks those of us who played those games already.
Nintendo's response: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I surprised they're actually porting so much of their Wii U stuff. I legit didn't think they would go this route and would distance themselves from everything about the Wii U kind of like how Nintendo ignored most of their Gamecube stuff for like a decade.

TwinsUltra64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberspace, EUROPE
I don't know if this has been reported here, but it seems Nintendo is working on an unannounced game (it could be a sequel)

XHkVsOJ.png

Kurtelle

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
Done: Bayo 1+2

In the future for sure:
- Kirby Star Allies
- DKC: Tropical Freeze
- Dark Souls: Remastered
- Yoshi
- Fire Emblem
- Hollow Knight
- Pokémon if comes out this year
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy if comes out this year in Europe

PD: I read 2018 and not 2017. Nice ocular fail.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at almost 20 games bought in the first year since I own the machine and I still have at least 15 more games that interests me in my wishlist, I seriously can't see how you can say that there's not enough games to play.

WizardofPeace

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more it seems like overkill for no reason. Tbh I don't think Smash, Animal Crossing, NSMBU+ and Pokémon need to release the same holiday. One of those games should be bumped to early 2019 like March 2019. Have a really big game that appeals to a lot of people for that time.

I really don't think AC is releasing this year. They don't want to put all their 1st party out this year, then they have nothing for the beginning of next year.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm at almost 20 games bought in the first year since I own the machine and I still have at least 15 more games that interests me in my wishlist, I seriously can't see how you can say that there's not enough games to play.
How many of those games are actually new releases, though? The majority of the games on the Switch have been on other systems before, indies included.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many of those games are actually new releases, though? The majority of the games on the Switch have been on other systems before, indies included.

Haven't made that count but it'd be interesting to see, I'll do it when I'm home. That's not something that bothers me though, as I'm still buying games that I never played before, so whether or not they're old is irrelevant to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.