• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
It's even better knowing that MH Rise will get G rank next year too lol. I think between 2021-2022, most third party games I'm going to purchase is from Capcom it seems:

MH Rise
MH Rise expansion
MH Stories 2
Great Ace Attorney localisation collection
And AA7 if it's real and still coming

Took a couple years, but finally Capcom is back. And yeah they are coming together next year. Still sad about the leak situation.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I actually kind of miss the psp vs ds era. Actual compeition in dedicated handhled gaming will probably never happen again

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Switch is like a cat, you hurt its feelings if you don't give it any attention and it takes a while for it to warm up to you again.

quote-so-you-know-cats-are-interesting-they-are-kind-of-like-girls-if-they-come-and-talk-to-shigeru-miyamoto-70-80-06.jpg

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, 3DS feels like a platform that had some potential left. Never quite got where the DS ended up in my eyes, at the very top of the handheld pantheon. The platform simply was very different to its predecessor, even if one would assume otherwise given the iterative nature of it. Switch passed 3DS for me personally in 2019, with games like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses et al. The platform simply became a lot more attractive and its line-up so much more varied than the 3DS' ever was in my eyes. While 3DS has the bonus of having more games in certain franchises (Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter e.g.), the quality of the Switch versions is easily on par with the best 3DS games or looks to reach those heights in Monter Hunter Rise's case.

So, yeah, Switch > 3DS as the tldr version, haha. It's even coming close to my personal favourite of all time, the DS. Still a bit to go, though.

Yeah, while I feel sorry for Capcom having to endure that shitty leak, I'm glad we know G Rank's coming. I wasn't sure whether to expect it or not tbh, even if Rise did well.
Same thoughts exactly. It was possible that MH Rise may be similar to Portable 3rd which never received G rank. Luckily this is not the case.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think I would feel better about the 3DS if I owned a regular one instead of the XL, it made all games look awfully blurry. Some games had such blurry texts that it was almost unreadable.

By the time the Switch happened, i had been ready to retire the 3DS for a good while.
I agree, but as someone who already has really bad eyesight, going with the regular after a few months of usage just didn't do it anymore sadly. The XL was a good idea in terms of size, but target resolution should have been bumped up as well. But Nintendo certainly didn't want to split 3DS development efforts or make the platform less accessible for developers by introducing a second mode/specsheet to develop for, so... yeah, I get why they didn't. But 4.8" with 240p resolution was rough, ngl.

3DS just never felt as cool as the Switch or even the DSi
This certainly is/was a factor as well, yeah.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think I would feel better about the 3DS if I owned a regular one instead of the XL, it made all games look awfully blurry. Some games had such blurry texts that it was almost unreadable.

By the time the Switch happened, i had been ready to retire the 3DS for a good while.
I kinda feel the other way around, these days I don't feel like using my 3DS because it's so small and the screen is so fark.
I think I would use it more nowadays if I had an XL.
Though I do lament how much less portable teh SWitch is.
Maybe I just need the right game to get back to it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I liked the 3DS but I never really quite fell in love with its library. Outside of Pokemon the first party offerings were overall better than the DS, with a couple of downright classics like Kid Icarus, but the third party offerings were a bit wanting in comparison. The eShop was nice though.

Conversely the first party library on DS was so so for the most part but it has by far the best Pokemon games in the franchise, with some really solid, underlooked third party offerings - the Sonic Rush duology and Mega Man Star Force trilogy spring to mind.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The DS's Pokemon games elevate the platform on their own for me. My favourite franchise/IP back then and absolutely god-like. Loved it.

What a fall from grace. RIP.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The DSi is and probably will always be the nicest piece of hardware Nintendo has ever made, in my opinion. It just felt so... perfect. I made a whole thread about it. And the library available on that thing is probably my favourite library of games for any system ever. It's just perfect.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
I agree, but as someone who already has really bad eyesight, going with the regular after a few months of usage just didn't do it anymore sadly. The XL was a good idea in terms of size, but target resolution should have been bumped up as well. But Nintendo certainly didn't want to split 3DS development efforts or make the platform less accessible for developers by introducing a second mode/specsheet to develop for, so... yeah, I get why they didn't. But 4.8" with 240p resolution was rough, ngl.

This certainly is/was a factor as well, yeah.

When I saw Super Mario 3D Land running in 1080p on Citra on YouTube for the first time I was like: "...wow. 3DS games can look this good?" Higher resolution screens would have done wonders for the 3DS.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The only game I like on 3DS is Link Between Worlds tbh

Mario Kart 7 is ok but I feel like it's pointless when you could just play Mario Kart 8

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The DSi is and probably will always be the nicest piece of hardware Nintendo has ever made, in my opinion. It just felt so... perfect. I made a whole thread about it. And the library available on that thing is probably my favourite library of games for any system ever. It's just perfect.

Indeed it was. It was the embodiment of perfecting the perfection. Just because it felt so good in my hand (and I had the superior color, the American Blue), I re-finished quite a number of games on it. Thanks to that awesome clicky buttons, I actually finished games that seemed impossible, like Contra 4, Order of Ecclesia and Metal Slug 7.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I own a lot to my 3DS, it introduced me to a shit ton of franchises, and it was my main (and only) console from 2014 to 2018.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Ah I see. Yeah, that would make sense. Nintendo would want as much stock as possible on the market in time for Black Friday.

AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE (thanks gang - I'm blaming medication and the amount of blood nurses took from me for tests this week)

The switch is a great console, but its selling pattern obeys to no rational laws. This is easily its weakest holiday season in terms of release and it's going smash the previous years. It reinforces my opinion that the switch concept is as important than its software, if not more, in the success of the console.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
The switch is a great console, but its selling pattern obeys to no rational laws. This is easily its weakest holiday season in terms of release and it's going smash the previous years. It reinforces my opinion that the switch concept is as important than its software, if not more, in the success of the console.
Important to remember it's the first holiday season with Animal Crossing on the market, which I think is a significant factor right now. But I absolutely agree that it's the hybrid concept which is powering Switch along to a big degree - but it's also the case lockdown and Animal Crossing have exposed the system to a much wider audience, and so I think we're seeing the effects of that. Throw in an enormous, varied library of games, and that does the trick.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Important to remember it's the first holiday season with Animal Crossing on the market, which I think is a significant factor right now. But I absolutely agree that it's the hybrid concept which is powering Switch along to a big degree - but it's also the case lockdown and Animal Crossing have exposed the system to a much wider audience, and so I think we're seeing the effects of that. Throw in an enormous, varied library of games, and that does the trick.

3D All Stars is going to be a very popular holiday game too.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sw_animalcrossingnewhorizons.jpg
sw_supermario3dallstars.jpg
sw_pokemonschwerterweiterungspass.jpg
sw_hyrulewarriorszeitderverheerung.jpg
sw_mariokartlivehomecircuitmario.jpg

This plus 30% off Splatoon 2 is their strongest lineup they've had in forever, selling all of their big franchises.

/s

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
the New Horizons boxart is pretty good, but I think it might still be the weakest in the main series

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Fire Emblem Nes just pre-installed. I'm not sure why I'm so excited for a game this old but I'm one of those crazies who loved the ds remakes

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tells you all you need to know the Switch will have one of its weakest holiday year lineups ever, yet break records. Everyone is being rewarded due to Covid. So many businesses are making tons of money off of Covid.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Immortals definitely looks better than expected but with Ubisoft you just have to wonder how much the game and all of the DLC will cost even in like 3 months...

I dunno, if reviews are glowing I might jump in this year.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Tells you all you need to know the Switch will have one of its weakest holiday year lineups ever, yet break records. Everyone is being rewarded due to Covid. So many businesses are making tons of money off of Covid.
For sure. And next year, even if COVID is more or less gone by summer (big if, but I'll be optimistic) you'll have COVID growth still in H1 of the year (plus Monster Hunter, etc.), if Nintendo can follow that up with an actual great holiday lineup that brings the big hitters like BOTW2 and Pokemon, the momentum for 2021 will be huge.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure. And next year, even if COVID is more or less gone by summer (big if, but I'll be optimistic) you'll have COVID growth still in H1 of the year (plus Monster Hunter, etc.), if Nintendo can follow that up with an actual great holiday lineup that brings the big hitters like BOTW2 and Pokemon, the momentum for 2021 will be huge.
It could be their greatest year in Nintendo's history profit wise.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo didn't exactly need anything else when it had Animal Crossing. It's not like 100% of its success was tied in to COVID-19 either. Especially when it sold insane numbers in Japan, which didn't lockdown anywhere near as much as the West.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Immortals definitely looks better than expected but with Ubisoft you just have to wonder how much the game and all of the DLC will cost even in like 3 months...

Yeah, should get cheaper but probably less so due to Nintendo Tax. I have cancelled my preorder, but if December gets too boring, I might cave...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo didn't exactly need anything else when it had Animal Crossing. It's not like 100% of its success was tied in to COVID-19 either. Especially when it sold insane numbers in Japan, which didn't lockdown anywhere near as much as the West.
Animal Crossing is not what's making Nintendo these record numbers. It obviously helps. It's on Covid. Please don't downplay this. Many have died from Covid as it is. These companies all over the world are making money from Covid. Billionaires have seen their money multiply due to Covid. Sony and Microsoft have seen way better numbers than they've expected.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all should just wait on immortals. It's gonna get cheaper real soon, Ubisoft games usually do.

look at Watch dogs.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is not what's making Nintendo these record numbers. It obviously helps. It's on Covid. Please don't downplay this. Many have died from Covid as it is. These companies all over the world are making money from Covid. Billionaires have seen their money multiply due to Covid. Sony and Microsoft have seen way better numbers than they've expected.

I don't think it's downplaying it, I just think people overstate the effect COVID-19 had on sales of Animal Crossing. Especially in Japan we haven't really seen many other games sell anywhere close to what Animal Crossing has.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They have at least 4 DLC expansions planned. Just as an aside, if you look at Starlink, that should give you a good idea of the level of post-release DLC it will get. Its digital deluxe version (including the first DLC wave) is regularly 75% off on the European eShop, should be the same for the US. Immortals is gonna follow the same pattern.

Nov 2, 2017
I should get off my lazy butt and start Pikmin 3 sometime. Had it for a few weeks and still have yet to touch it.

Then I went and bought Xcom 2 and Age of Calamity and haven't touched them either. Some things never change

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I should get off my lazy butt and start Pikmin 3 sometime. Had it for a few weeks and still have yet to touch it.

Then I went and bought Xcom 2 and Age of Calamity and haven't touched them either. Some things never change
Same here, lol. I finished Demon's Souls and I picked up Yakuza: LAD and AoC, but here I am still finishing up Valkyria Chronicles...

Status
Not open for further replies.