• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Soooo do we have a poll for when we think the Direct is? I have a feeling it's gonna be February but I'm hoping it's this month.
Online multiplayer is totally within Splatoon's DNA, so whatever it is, it's probably a multiplayer thing yeah, though it is also surprisingly a series that is lore-heavy, and that keeps adding to the lore at each new entry, especially with Octo Expansion.
I can't help but think that a solo game of some kind that would expand even more on the lore would be great. Especially if it's focusing on the Octolings, if what I think Brazil is implying is indeed what he is implying.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Online multiplayer is totally within Splatoon's DNA, so whatever it is, it's probably a multiplayer thing yeah, though it is also surprisingly a series that is lore-heavy, and that keeps adding to the lore at each new entry, especially with Octo Expansion.
I can't help but think that a solo game of some kind that would expand even more on the lore would be great. Especially if it's focusing on the Octolings, if what I think Brazil is implying is indeed what he is implying.
Like you said picture he posted isn't something you can just find on the internet. That seems like a clear hint at something Octoling related.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Idk if DK would get "lost," it has the potential to sell a lot. More than Metroid and Fire Emblem anyway
Yeah, but a lot of the publicity will be stolen by 3D World, Splatoon, BOTW2, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Metroid V will also get a ton of publicity for being the first new 2D Metroid game in over a decade.

DK has the potential to sell a lot of scheduled at the right time. Nintendo should give some breathing room.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Almost 4 years into the Switch and we haven't seen anything Metroid. I had the same feeling with the Wii U, and bought a Switch thinking that, "Surely, we will see Metroid soon!"

Good thing the Switch is a great console all around, even without fulfilling my deep desire to play Metroid.
I bought a Wii U for Metroid and eventually the system to finally scratch that itch was the 3DS. I didn't buy a Switch just for Metroid but I'd be lying if I said Metroid Prime 4 wasn't a huge part of it. And here we are.

At least you could play literally every single Metroid game ever made except Metroid 2 and Samus Returns on the Wii U. On Switch, there's just Metroid 1 and Super Metroid, and you can't even buy the fucking things.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Yeah, but a lot of the publicity will be stolen by 3D World, Splatoon, BOTW2, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Metroid V will also get a ton of publicity for being the first new 2D Metroid game in over a decade.

DK has the potential to sell a lot of scheduled at the right time. Nintendo should give some breathing room.
But have you considered: 40 years of Donkey Kong?

40 is a huge anniversary. They should push back Splatoon or Metroid if the year is really too crowded (spoiler: it never will be, because Nintendo can't make games fast enough to choke themselves like that).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to me like its Splatoon 3. No need to overthink things. 4 years will be enough time for a new one.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
That, and the DK coaster in Japan should be opening in 2022. It's early in construction now.
Those DK icons datamined from the Super Nintendo World map make me think they want the DK segment of the park to open sooner than people are expecting.

Doesn't matter if a new game launches before the park expansion opens anyway; it might even be better that way!

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Almost 4 years into the Switch and we haven't seen anything Metroid. I had the same feeling with the Wii U, and bought a Switch thinking that, "Surely, we will see Metroid soon!"

Good thing the Switch is a great console all around, even without fulfilling my deep desire to play Metroid.
At least there are actual plans/rumours when it comes to Switch. Wii U was just dire.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
But have you considered: 40 years of Donkey Kong?

40 is a huge anniversary. They should push back Splatoon or Metroid if the year is really too crowded (spoiler: it never will be, because Nintendo can't make games fast enough to choke themselves like that).
Damn, I actually forgot about the anniversary. There's way too many this year.

I wonder if the DK coaster was originally scheduled to open this year for the anniversary as well, only to get fucked by the pandemic.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm happy this place is so lively, even if I can't join in much right now. Roll on some announcements.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why DK can't come this year? It's the 40th anniversary. It should come this year. Even if you do a quick mock-up of a schedule it can fit.

April- new Pokémon snap
May- EPD 4 game
June- Mario Golf
July- Splatoon
August- 2D Metroid
September- BotW 2 + Switch Pro
October- DK
November- Pokémon D/P remake

I'm not predicting this schedule. Just showing it could fit.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reggie also said that production on Metroid Prime 4 was going smoothly just a few months before it was fully rebooted. I wouldn't immediately believe everything they say.
I mean that's Reggie. Nobody really cares what he says lol. Why would the producer lie about making Splatoon? Nintendo's had no issues with saying "yeah we're working on the next game in a big franchise". It's not like him saying "yes we're working on the next Splatoon game" was going to kill Splatoon 2's sales.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Those DK icons datamined from the Super Nintendo World map make me think they want the DK segment of the park to open sooner than people are expecting.

Doesn't matter if a new game launches before the park expansion opens anyway; it might even be better that way!
They probably did want it open soon. But then Super Nintendo World construction as a whole got delayed by several months because of the pandemic, and now the land is set to open 8 months later than it was originally supposed to. And the last aerial imagery we had showed DK still in it's early stages.

Have a feeling it'll open summer 2022.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
You know what? Yeah, it's a new year; i'll be totally transparent about the Donkey Kong stuff; why not.

[Hidden content]

That's fair, but I think i'll just hide the relevant part, and leave this note, for the Soup writers and YouTubers who cover Nintendo rumors: go home and find your revenue source somewhere else please! :)
.....I really don't wanna get my hopes up but.....god I hope this year is good for DK

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I see Rogue Trooper Redux is on sale at 90% off. Has anyone played it? I loved the comics as a kid but never played the original game

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I don't see why DK can't come this year? It's the 40th anniversary. It should come this year. Even if you do a quick mock-up of a schedule it can fit.

April- new Pokémon snap
May- EPD 4 game
June- Mario Golf
July- Splatoon
August- 2D Metroid
September- BotW 2 + Switch Pro
October- DK
November- Pokémon D/P remake

I'm not predicting this schedule. Just showing it could fit.
Where would you place Zelda collections, if they exist?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I have trouble believing they'd make a Splatoon 3 yet. They very rarely make sequels to games on the same platform. Besides, Splatoon 2, while I will not say it was just an enhanced port of 1, definitely would have felt a little short on value to me if "wanting Splatoon on Switch in any form" wasn't as big a selling point.

I definitely feel like it's gonna be a spin-off.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I want a Splatoon heist game. Your team of Inkling and Octoling operatives are breaking into a museum, using a variety of gadgets and your ability to swim through ink.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I see Rogue Trooper Redux is on sale at 90% off. Has anyone played it? I loved the comics as a kid but never played the original game

It's a fun little third person shooter but nothing special. I remember playing it on Wii, it felt so good as Wii seriously lacked third person shooting games.

Fun fact: Developer studio Rebellion owns all 2000 AD comic franchises, including Judge Dredd. It's baffling as hell that they never tried their hand on making a Dredd game. It's all about sniping for them.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Splatoon and not working on a sequel doesn't sound like a believable combination. Why would they not work on it? Its a big IP.
Reggie also said that production on Metroid Prime 4 was going smoothly just a few months before it was fully rebooted. I wouldn't immediately believe everything they say.
Of course, it's a typical answer. They can't say "we're working on it"
I see two reasons as to why they weren't working on Splatoon 3 :
-They were already working on the spin off, probably started production around the release of Octo Expansion (many key designers worked on it)
-They wanted to wait for the result of the Splatfest that would decide on the theme of Splatoon 3 (either Cyberpunk dystipia or Post Apocalyptic dystopia) before starting the production of it, especially if the theme is used for the whole game and not just on the solo stuff. We're possibly talking about clothing design, world design, maybe a few mechanics, etc.

It's not that crazy to actually believe Nogashi when he says prior to that Splatfest that they didn't start production on Splatoon 3. They were transparent enough to straight up tell us that the result of the Splatfest would influence the world of Splatoon 3. Nogashi said they didn't start production on Splatoon 3 when they announced it would influence Splatoon 3, it's not just some Reggie's PR talk.

Edit : Nogami not Nogashi lmao.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
And are we really getting a fourth Fire Emblem game on Switch before we even get the first Metroid game? :P

What a time to be alive

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with MaitreWakou

Nagoshi was transparent about Splatoon 2 and its development. In his interview he said he "wants to return the favor to everyone who supported Splatoon 2". Idk what that means lol

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I see two reasons as to why they weren't working on Splatoon 3 :
-They were already working on the spin off, probably started production around the release of Octo Expansion (many key designers worked on it)
-They wanted to wait for the result of the Splatfest that would decide on the theme of Splatoon 3 (either Cyberpunk dystipia or Post Apocalyptic dystopia) before starting the production of it, especially if the theme is used for the whole game and not just on the solo stuff. We're possibly talking about clothing design, world design, maybe a few mechanics, etc.

It's not that crazy to actually believe Nogashi when he says prior to that Splatfest that they didn't start production on Splatoon 3. They were transparent enough to straight up tell us that the result of the Splatfest would influence the world of Splatoon 3. Nogashi said they didn't start production on Splatoon 3 when they announced it would influence Splatoon 3, it's not just some Reggie's PR talk.
I'm with MaitreWakou

Nagoshi was transparent about Splatoon 2 and its development. In his interview he said he "wants to return the favor to everyone who supported Splatoon 2". Idk what that means lol

Guys it's Nogami, not Nagoshi lol

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
More like new 2D Metroid by the same devs as Samus Return, MercurySteam. It's been pretty much known by insiders for a while now.
A new 2D Metroid is pretty much an open secret at this point; only a matter of time.

Wouldn't complain about a Samus Returns port in addition to the new game though!
I know we are all expecting a new 2D game, but I feel they'd also want Samus Returns to be played by more people? and the 3DS Castlevania game MercurySteam made, eventually got a 360/PS3 port too, isn't it?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Aug 15, 2020
I was with you until you said Mach Rider and Murasame Castle.

The former needs a Jodorowsky-esque take on Mad Max starring canonically female Mach Rider directed by Suda.

The latter has to go to Hideki Kamiya Kenji Saito at PlatinumGames for a character action revival.

WayForward can get Urban Champion Resurrection tho!
I'm actually really curious if Suda is going to work on a Nintendo IP ala Platinum or Koei Tecmo. NMH3 is probably wrapping up and of the other projects we know about, Hotel Barcelona is very small in scale and ports (TSC or even killer7) or remakes (FSR) will be done out of house. Suda's also said he wants to do Mysterious Castle too though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Jordan Amaro wanted to direct his own game? That might make sense for the Splatoon project.

Lots of weeb passes being revoked today 😢

lpqtjo.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where would you place Zelda collections, if they exist?
That's a good question. We've had rumors of Zelda collections. We have speculation of a SS HD. We have a rumor there's 2 Zelda collections coming. There's so many rumors here idk. If all we got was a Zelda collection I would guess it comes H1 this year to give it some distance from BotW 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.