Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
All 4 of those other games will outsell X3 and also get more media attention tbh.

I personally believe BotW2 will be used to showcase this hardware from Nintendo's own games. Agree though that X3 will benefit from a technical perspective as much as any other game, I just don't think that will translate to the game doing much bigger numbers than usual.
Metroid won't

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The chart on the original Japanese article indicates they expect this new revision to be a calendar year 2021 launch. If that's due to their info or just expectation based on Bloomberg's report is still a question, but they did publish a graphic suggesting it's a 2021 product.

So unless Nate is like, really sure about a delay to next year based on something concrete, I think it's way likelier to be a 2021 product as Nikkei and Bloomberg suggest.

Yeah, I saw that but I was being charitable and assuming that wasn't concrete. The end of the FY provides a clear barrier if it's related to that though.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
All 4 of those other games will outsell X3 and also get more media attention tbh.

Pokémon will be a sales beast but other three... well, it depends on what they are. If FE is something like Shadows of Valentia with pixel sprites, it won't pass 1m. We know this new DK won't be a Country game. It could be anything tbh, even a Jungle beat sequel. Metroid is Metroid, the last game wasn't even in the E3 Direct, god knows what they're planning with this new one. My personal opinion is there are too many full price 2D platformers in one season.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think it is nearing time for people to move away from any launch in 2021.

I mean, I think it's smart to always keep in mind that production and supply is super unstable for all electronics at this point, and that a delay is entirely possible.

But these Nikkei/Bloomberg articles repeatedly point to Nintendo gunning to get this thing out this year.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Unless this is based on info you've heard rather than just your own personal speculation I find it hard to believe it won't launch this year with most places saying it will. Suppose we'll find out but hopefully you're wrong haha.
I have had no indication of a 2021 launch in several months. All info on my end has been pointing to 2022.

OP
OP
reconceptualize
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
I have had no indication of a 2021 launch in several months. All info on my end has been pointing to 2022.

This feels like a situation where either Pokemon or Zelda launch with it. Interesting.

I wonder what that means for this fall.

Uhhh... wassup, guys, I'm new here. Glad to get an account here just as E3 discussion is starting to ramp up lol.
Also, glad to see the trans rights back in the title, although if I may ask: why was it removed in the 1st place? sorry if that's been answered already.

Hey, welcome to the thread! Always good to have a new Nintendo fan join us. You can check the first threadmark for a quick summary of the title and OP edits.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
What were your gripes, though? And I didn't even know there were major differences gameplay-wise btw PS4/PC and Switch version?
The differences weren't in the gameplay sections for me, but in loading, menu responsiveness, and framerate when looking at PS4 vs Switch, with the latter leaving an overall better impression. And the additional post processing options they included via one of the updates were a cool bonus over the PlayStation version, too.
PC obviously is on another level when it comes to aspects like that, though. But I never finished it on there, only the PS version.

What I didn't like (aside from the stuff mentioned above already) were the combat (I know, a rather heated topic for many, haha), the general feel of movement, the lack of interactivity with the environment (I think I simply like sandbox style open worlds significantly more), the character building/skill tree system, and the main story, which was lacking in my eyes and way less interesting than the side quests. Those on the other hand were sooo good, I don't think I've played another game to this day where I enjoyed the side content this much. I also liked the writing, characters, visuals and sound, the overall setting, the detective like gameplay aka Witcher senses and Geralt explaining what he was finding out.

Witcher 3 to me probably is the most storybook-like game I've played thus far, with all the strengths, but also weaknesses that come with it being such.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
If Nintendo insists on launching the Pro this year, they're going to face the same supply problems X/S and PS5 are struggling with, only much worse. If they don't fear this problem, ok then, release it this year, but very, very few people are going to be able to have it, in the end we'll have a better chance of buying it next year anyway...

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
If Nintendo insists on launching the Pro this year, they're going to face the same supply problems X/S and PS5 are struggling with, only much worse. If they don't fear this problem, ok then, release it this year, but very, very few people are going to be able to have it, in the end we'll have a better chance of buying it next year anyway...
If that is the case, then the launch is essentially a paper launch.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
If that is the case, then the launch is essentially a paper launch.

Microsoft has sold more Xbox consoles than ever before and Sony has sold more Playstation consoles than ever before with the launch of their new consoles.

Not meeting demand doesn't mean there isn't a hell of a lot of units being manufactured and sold.

What is more likely to delay the device is software. They've shown in the past they're happy to delay hardware when the software isn't ready which can truly show it off.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft has sold more Xbox consoles than ever before and Sony has sold more Playstation consoles than ever before with the launch of their new consoles.

Not meeting demand doesn't mean there isn't a hell of a lot of units being manufactured and sold.

What is more likely to delay the device is software. They've shown in the past they're happy to delay hardware when the software isn't ready which can truly show it off.
Software will always play a roll in launch timing and select software with the revision in mind is currently slated for 2022.

Complications with supply is just another variable in a list of several others.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they keep delaying it makes no sense to do anything resembling a half step. It's already "relatively" late for a revision but pushing into 2022 it gets to the point where they might as well do a full successor with a cross gen period like Xbox and PS.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The chart on the original Japanese article indicates they expect this new revision to be a calendar year 2021 launch. If that's due to their info or just expectation based on Bloomberg's report is still a question, but they did publish a graphic suggesting it's a 2021 product.

So unless Nate is like, really sure about a delay to next year based on something concrete, I think it's way likelier to be a 2021 product as Nikkei and Bloomberg suggest.

Wait, does the original article really include a chart with a CY 2021 launch for the Pro on it?

OP
OP
reconceptualize
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Wait a second - catching up on the thread, and I completely missed a top five discussion?! Dang it, people.

1. BOTW
  2. Dragon Quest XI: DE
  3. Sunless Sea
  4. Celeste
  5. Shovel Knight (and all expansions)
This system is easily my favorite since the original PS1.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
You know Nate having concrete info that BoTW2 is hitting 2022 would explain why he's so confident about that and the Pro not making this year

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It is not a surprise that Pokémon Snap is selling well, all those people who played and loved the original grew up and have a very nostalgic view on it and also are able to buy it for themselves instead of asking their parent for it.

It is a real shame that I am completely broke and have no way of buying it for God knows how long, but it is nice to see that it turned out good and that it's not a super brief experience, and it is nice to see a lot of people share their pictures on Twitter.

Hope you all enjoy it!

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
This feels like a situation where either Pokemon or Zelda launch with it. Interesting.

I wonder what that means for this fall.

Hey, welcome to the thread! Always good to have a new Nintendo fan join us. You can check the first threadmark for a quick summary of the title and OP edits.

Thank you! I'll make sure to check the summary.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
If BotW2 isn't 2021 (or even early 2022) then it's either because of COVID or could it be because the game has had an 'interesting' development? Maybe both.

Pure speculation but I always wondered what Nintendo had planned when they said the game would make use of the same overworld as BotW. That made me think the game might even be late 2020 when I first heard it since that would have been just short of 4 years since the original came out even then.

What if they realised the game didn't feel fresh enough making use of the originals overworld and they instead went to make a new world from scratch? We've heard in the past how they went for half step sequel ideas before later deciding to turn them into fully fledged original experiences.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
So what is everyone's pre e3 prediction for the big holiday game for this year? Will it just be the diamond and pearl remakes or will something bigger make it out?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If people start reading into Nate's comments about stuff he's not actually talking about we're definitely gonna need another thread before E3 hits.

OP
OP
reconceptualize
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Thank you! I'll make sure to check the summary.

You bet, and let the thread know if you have any other questions. They're good people. Glad you're here too.

If people start reading into Nate's comments about stuff he's not actually talking about we're definitely gonna need another thread before E3 hits.

Yeah, this is an incredible pace given that our most active poster isn't and won't be present here for a bit. E3 fervor is real.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
If I were Nintendo, I would want two things when releasing the Pro:

1. Enough supply to ease initial demand
2. A tentpole title to drive sales

Given that supply has been an issue lately and the fact that Nintendo is no stranger to holding onto finished games until what they think is the right time, I think a 2022 launch makes the most sense.

The first point is self explanatory, pushing the launch back gives them more time to manufacture additional consoles. As for the second point, I think Nintendo knows that launching the Pro alongside some highly anticipated title (Zelda, Pokémon, etc.) will likely make people want to get the new model as opposed to just releasing it on its own, so to speak. Granted, demand for consoles has been insane lately, so who knows if they deem that necessary.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So what is everyone's pre e3 prediction for the big holiday game for this year? Will it just be the diamond and pearl remakes or will something bigger make it out?
Pokémon D&P remakes and EPD Tokyo DK.
Probably something else a bit more "casual". I expected Super Mario Party 2 but not anymore since the online update.

Still kinda believe in BOTW2 too, not as much as before, but I think it's 50/50.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Since I missed the top 5 Switch games discussion, anyone wanna do a different top 5 discussion such as the top 5 things you'd like to see at Nintendo's (likely) E3 Direct?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
*unlocks a new high rank insect glaive*

*it requires Kamura tickets*

DAMN YOU TO HELL, FUGEN

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Maybe a new Mario Kart as the "something bigger", but I dunno.

I could see Nintendo going for multiple medium to big titles to close out the year, especially if the revision comes in 2022. Pokemon joined by DK, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade, Bayonetta or Metroid, a Zelda collection and maybe another EPD title (a new IP? Kart?) would be more than enough to keep the system going.

Tentpole releases are important, sure, and will be especially important when a revision comes. But a variety of software releases is also important in keeping Switch going strong.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

2d metroid won't. The others, yeah, sure, probably.

But the only time metroid has ever broken the 2m barrier that xeno 2 is at, and a xeno 3 could reasonably expect to hit, is with prime 1. No 2d metroid has ever gotten close. Metroid 5 won't either.

Metroid prime 4 would stand a solid chance, but that's not what the quoted post was suggesting.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
giphy.gif

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Still holding out hope for BoTW2 to make it but otherwise Pokemon will be the biggest seller though I find it hard to call such a barebones remake a "big holiday game".

The rest of the holiday season will be propped up by relatively smaller titles like DK, Metroid, and XC3 in such a scenario

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
I also still somewhat believe in BotW 2 this year, though I'll say seeing Aonuma saying we'll only hear about it this year cast some doubt on that. I feel like anything could happen. I also believe in a Switch Pro this year.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Switch Pro necessarily needs BOTW2 to launch with it, as much as Nintendo would certainly want a showpiece game alongside it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does the original article really include a chart with a CY 2021 launch for the Pro on it?

Yeah oracion posted it s few pages back.

You know Nate having concrete info that BoTW2 is hitting 2022 would explain why he's so confident about that and the Pro not making this year

Nate also said several months ago that there's no hard connection between the pro and BotW 2. One of them being delayed didn't mean the other would be.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Probably info about Wind Waker and Twilight Princess releases as well. If they're 2021 then it's highly unlikely Skyward Sword, WW, TP and BotW2 are releasing in the same year.
People keep saying this - why do the rereleases of HD versions of nearly 20-year-old games dictate when BOTW2 launches? BOTW2 is the main event. You don't delay the main event for the opener. Unless it means that "BOTW2 will miss 2021 so here's other Zelda stuff", those games should have zero impact on when to release BOTW2.

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
I hoped that if BOTW 2 didn't make it this year, at least the revision would. Well, shit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.