Status
Not open for further replies.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I've always felt BOTW2 was a late 2022 game, it just feels too soon IMO, but I'll be pissed if the pro doesn't launch this year. Some of these recent third party games are dying for more power to run decently at all, so I'm hoping Nintendo gets it out sooner rather than later for that sake alone... First party stuff with it in mind I'd understand being 2022, though, but I hope they don't artificially delay anything to launch with it for the sake of it, instead of making sure their 2021 H2 lineup is good

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
People keep saying this - why do the rereleases of HD versions of nearly 20-year-old games dictate when BOTW2 launches? BOTW2 is the main event. You don't delay the main event for the opener. Unless it means that "BOTW2 will miss 2021 so here's other Zelda stuff", those games should have zero impact on when to release BOTW2.

If BotW2 is ready then of course it releases first. We were just speculating that Nate might have heard WW and TP are this year, which would mean likely that BotW2 wasn't ready to launch this year.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally not going to stop believing in both BOTW2 and the pro realising this year until we get hard confirmation it's not happening.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
People keep saying this - why do the rereleases of HD versions of nearly 20-year-old games dictate when BOTW2 launches? BOTW2 is the main event. You don't delay the main event for the opener. Unless it means that "BOTW2 will miss 2021 so here's other Zelda stuff", those games should have zero impact on when to release BOTW2.

The remakes are an indication, not a direct cause to BOTW2 launch. I think that's pretty clear.

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
There's no way BOTW2 is as late as Holiday 2022, Spring 2022 at the latest IMO. Although personally I'm still on the Holiday 2021 train. Either way, I really hope we finally see it at the E3 direct this year, hopefully with the reveal of the return of traditional dungeons!

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
If that is the case, then the launch is essentially a paper launch.

They wont sit on consoles, just to have a couple more 3-4 months later. This is not how this (or any other modern business) works.

Nate, I really appreciate your info and all, but on your podcast you tell us that you think it is a 2022 launch, and now you are telling us it will be a 2022 launch. You should clarify if you are speculating or telling us, just to be sure ;) (to avoid the Digital Foundry mess with Aula).

I really start to think your source(s) cant decide what to tell you, and doesnt have for themself accurate info.

Its the same situation as last year with the PS5 and XSX/XSS. Because of Bloomberg and Nikkei, you should expect a launch in 2021.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I mean, even if Nate has info, I'm still leaning towards BoTW2 being 2021 until and unless we hear of a Pokemon Legends delay.

I can't see them pushing BoTW2 all the way back to a probable Holiday 2022 release

Akki

Oct 31, 2017
Not saying BOTW makes it this year, but Nintendo has always been very secretive.

Just a small reminder plenty of reliable insiders said in November 2016 that BOTW is not going to be a launch game.

www.eurogamer.net

Zelda: Breath of the Wild to miss Nintendo Switch launch

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's biggest Switch game, will not be available when the console launche…
mynintendonews.com

Emily Rogers: Zelda Breath Of The Wild Won’t Launch In March

Nintendo insider Emily Rogers is reporting on her blog that it is unlikely that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will launch in March alongside the Nintendo Switch platform.

They should release the Pro in 2021 even without a big launch game or huge shipment. Delaying the Pro to 2022 would be a mistake because Covid-inflated demand could fall in March 2022.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I still believe BOTW2 is coming out this year! "2021" teaser at E3 followed up by a dedicated Zelda anniversary Direct early September with the reveal.

Sknygy

Feb 9, 2020
Not saying BOTW makes it this year, but Nintendo has always been very secretive.

Just a small reminder plenty of reliable insiders said in November 2016 that BOTW is not going to be a launch game.

www.eurogamer.net

Zelda: Breath of the Wild to miss Nintendo Switch launch

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's biggest Switch game, will not be available when the console launche…
mynintendonews.com

Emily Rogers: Zelda Breath Of The Wild Won’t Launch In March

Nintendo insider Emily Rogers is reporting on her blog that it is unlikely that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will launch in March alongside the Nintendo Switch platform.

They should release the Pro in 2021 even without a big launch game or huge shipment. Delaying the Pro to 2022 would be a mistake because Covid-inflated demand could fall in March 2022.

I was just about to bring this up.

Then there's MPTHD at TGA and Starfox Grand Prix too...

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The thing about Switch Pro talk is that while it can be fun to speculate, it's also essentially completely pointless this early. We won't know anything at all for months and months still. At the absolute least, we should wait until E3 and see if we can glean anything from the software lineup for the rest of 2021 and such.

(Signed: Someone who is interested in the Pro, but sick of how it's becoming all we seem to talk about in every single Nintendo topic)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think the Switch Pro will launch with Breath of The Wild 2. If it's 2022, I could see them doing it in March, which would also the fifth anniversary of the Switch.

MG12

Aug 1, 2020
My top 5 favorite Switch games are

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. BOTW
3. 3D World/ Bowser's Fury
4. Xenoblade 2/ Torna
5. Paper Mario: The Origami King

Honorable mentions: Hades, Celeste, Splatoon 2/ Octo, Link's Awakening, 3D All Stars

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, the only way the new Switch misses this year is if there's some problem with the system itself that's holding it back. So long as they have a single high-production value game releasing this fall, they should be able to push the system just fine.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Huh, which IG is that exactly? I'm rocking IG as well right now -- love it, just like in Iceborne --, but only have two so far.
Brush Glaive. You need to complete a delivery request for the poet to be able to create it. And you'll also need to have been blessed by the RNG gods who withhold Kamura tickets from us all.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, the only way the new Switch misses this year is if there's some problem with the system itself that's holding it back. So long as they have a single high-production value game releasing this fall, they should be able to push the system just fine.

Agreed. They will not need anything specific with launch for it to sell out. All they need is to be able to communicate its appeal which should be very easy.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't see any reason to wait for BOTW2 to launch a Switch revision.

Supply will be limited to below demand. Unless the revision really stinks that'll be true. The only thing that would delay a revision launch is significant problems with the manufacturing itself, which is something that nobody in this thread (yes, I do mean nobody) would have any cogent idea about. All we can do is wait, either for production leaks this summer if it's coming this year, or those same pictures in the fall if it's coming in March.

March would be strange to me, and definitely would just be the same "we can't make the holidays, but let's at least make our fiscal year look good" strategy that they used with the original launch.

There's really just nothing to discuss; no one really knows.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Brush Glaive. You need to complete a delivery request for the poet to be able to create it. And you'll also need to have been blessed by the RNG gods who withhold Kamura tickets from us all.
How far are you into High Rank? You should try and craft Naragacuga IG. Looks amazing, 40% affinity crit rate, natural white sharpness and at least has a lvl2 slot. Great weapon.

Dec 21, 2020
I was expecting what seemed like a paper launch or a super scarce launch anyway.

Everyone will be chummy here in this thread, but at the checkout from amazon/gamestop/eb games/ walmart/ etc., everyone in this thread becomes an enemy of one another 🤭

since they'll be fighting to get one first until the next time they can get one first

And fighting against bots too.

Let's not lie now, the scarcity will be awful

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
how are the castlevania games on GBA.

buying some VC games on Wii u and saw a few. Buying all the Megaman Battle network games and Advance war games.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Breath of the Wild
6. Hades
7. Astral Chain
8. Sonic Mania
9. Luigi's Mansion 3
10. Golf Story

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
They wont sit on consoles, just to have a couple more 3-4 months later. This is not how this (or any other modern business) works.

Nate, I really appreciate your info and all, but on your podcast you tell us that you think it is a 2022 launch, and now you are telling us it will be a 2022 launch. You should clarify if you are speculating or telling us, just to be sure ;) (to avoid the Digital Foundry mess with Aula).

I really start to think your source(s) cant decide what to tell you, and doesnt have for themself accurate info.

Its the same situation as last year with the PS5 and XSX/XSS. Because of Bloomberg and Nikkei, you should expect a launch in 2021.

As recently as a month or so ago, the chip wasn't finished. Aspects remained to be tweaked & altered to achieve certain performance goals. I've said a 2022 launch is the direction my information is pushing me towards for a while now. It could change, as plans with hardware are in constant flux and evolve by the moment. Nintendo still needs to consider numerous factors -- software, supply, etc...

But, as of this moment, a launch in 2021 seems unlikely. I'd love to see it launch this holiday; but I'm not expecting it, though I'd love to be surprised.

NateDrake Would you say the issues affecting the revision are serious enough that March 2022 could end up off the table as well?
As of this moment, I don't think that is anything to be concerned over.

Last edited:

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I was expecting what seemed like a paper launch or a super scarce launch anyway.

Everyone will be chummy here, but at the checkout from amazon/gamestop/eb games/ walmart/ etc., everyone in this thread becomes an enemy 🤭

since they'll be fighting to get one first until the next time they can get one first

And fighting against bots too.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really believe Metroid won't outsell Xenoblade? Am I reading this right? God why does the Nintendo fanbase underestimate Metroid so much. Samus returns sales likely compete with XC2 sales and one was a switch launch year title, and the other was a remake sent to die on hypeless 3DS.

A true Metroid 5 after 20 years will obliterate XC sales I'm sorry.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
Some of y'all really believe Metroid won't outsell Xenoblade? Am I reading this right? God why does the Nintendo fanbase underestimate Metroid so much. Samus returns sales likely compete with XC2 sales and one was a switch launch year title, and the other was a remake sent to die on hypeless 3DS.

Xenoblade 2 sold more than 2 million copies. Samus Returns sold like a third of that.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Switch Pro will release in February 2022 - along with BotW2. You heard it here first ;)

Mario Kart 9 will come in March, followed by Pokemon Legends in April. Thank me later ;)

Dec 21, 2020
The gag is that..... no one really knows about metroid that much anymore lol

It would be a brand new IP to so many people

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know about a 2D Metroid. Prime 4 I feel can

tho the obvious thing is assuming the game is really good. I need to see it first before having an actual prediction worth paying attention too

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

To be absolutely fair, Metroid hasn't really done much to inspire confidence saleswise. Also, where's that sales number coming from for Samus Returns? Only concrete number I can find for it puts it in the ~500k range, but that's from VGChartz so I'm not exactly trusting that fully. Still, there's a big gap between that number and XC2's ~2 million

Edit: The only Metroid games that seem to have outsold XC2 were the original on the NES and Prime. I really can't see a new 2D game hitting those numbers though. Prime 4, certainly.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I definitely can see the Metroid games on Switch having their best performance ever saleswise, especially Prime 4. It's way more difficult to surpass Xenoblade on that matter, though.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
I still believe BOTW2 is coming out this year! "2021" teaser at E3 followed up by a dedicated Zelda anniversary Direct early September with the reveal.
Yeah I think it will come this year, no earlier than December though. Even though Pokemon does its own thing releasing BOTW2 in March with Legends wouldnt be good I feel.

Jan 2, 2021
It took XC2 like 2-3 years to hit 2 million. I adore Xenoblade, but it doesn't exactly light the world on fire either. I think it's reasonable to believe even a new 2D Metroid could pull similar numbers on Switch--depending on the direction Nintendo takes with the game.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It took XC2 like 2-3 years to hit 2 million. I adore Xenoblade, but it doesn't exactly light the world on fire either. I think it's reasonable to believe even a new 2D Metroid could pull similar numbers on Switch--depending on the direction Nintendo takes with the game.
My biggest thought right now is how the game will look. I'm somebody who found Samus Returns on 3DS to be very ugly. And bought purely on being a fan of the series

of course the other thing if the game is good/great. Metroid really will need the Word of Mouth, helped Xenoblade 2 (and hurt to an extent).

talkimg about Metroid sales is pretty useless until we see the game. With it being rumor for so long. I feel itll look better then expected. Well hoping at least.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sales range of a 2D Metroid releasing at full retail is probably only marginally different from Xenoblade 2.

That said I don't believe in Samus Returns being a good barometer since it released on a dying console.

My biggest thought right now is how the game will look. I'm somebody who found Samus Returns on 3DS to be very ugly. And bought purely on being a fan of the series

I do agree with this. Samus Returns has very generic 2D look with some very boilerplate ambiance despite it leaning heavily on Prime-type aesthetic. Hoping the devs of the next 2D Metroid look more toward games like Super to build atmosphere and don't hesitate to make the environments look lived-in rather than as if they were constructed with a tile program.

Jan 2, 2021

of course the other thing if the game is good/great. Metroid really will need the Word of Mouth, helped Xenoblade 2 (and hurt to an extent).

talkimg about Metroid sales is pretty useless until we see the game. With it being rumor for so long. I feel itll look better then expected. Well hoping at least.
I'm definitely hoping for a much more polished Samus Returns style for the new 2D game. If it looks really nice and reviews well, I think the game will certainly be a commercial success. Almost anything Nintendo puts on Switch sells well, so I'm hoping that magic applies to Metroid too, haha.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

Did Samus Returns even break 1 million?

Metroid has sales potential imo, but the hard evidence isnt really there.

Status
Not open for further replies.