• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
65myc3.png

hmmmm..

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The annoying thing about all of this is that people probably wouldn't even be complaining that much for a pro device if Nintendo allowed all games to run at 460mhz, or at full docked speeds, while in portable mode. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they do when this revision releases.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Unless they're bumping the clock speed there's no reason to advertise the new SoC.

Call it Storage, Battery Life, and Quality of Life improvements.
Which is exactly what Nintendo would do with a "pro" model. The smaller switch has an extra half hour battery life with an 800mAh smaller battery, we are talking about either an extra hour added on or a smaller casing using the smaller battery and minimal bezels. We are talking about needing a less powerful fan, which would also suggest a significant casing upgrade. A die shrink for something like the Switch can mean a whole lot for it, and it won't just be the old Switch with a small update, its gonna be a paradigm shift in marketing, design, etc. And anyway it looks like there is no need to argue semantics thanks to this tweet:
Looks like mochi is inferring this is the enhanced version

Its gonna be something more than just the old Switch, new SoC.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If we get a new CPU, it would be really exciting. I can imagine an A72 or A73 CPU(which is still like 3 years old). It's going to be a big upgrade from the A57 but still compatible. We should get 2x performance at least easily, especially with a 12 or 16nm.

if it's out this year, a 12nm/16finfet docked mode on handheld should be feasible and maybe we can get up to 750-800 GFLOPs for the GPU in the best case scenario. Trying to keep my hopes low though. Getting a 6GB DDR4x RAM would be amazing too. Ahh don't want to keep my hopes up

But I dunno. It's Nintendo

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about the PSP for a second... Every model of PSP was capable of running at 333mhz clock speed, but Sony limited games to 222mhz at launch. This was mainly a concern for battery life, and once the PSP2000 launched, games were allowed to use the much beefier 266mhz, 300mhz, and 333mhz modes.

I could definitely see Nintendo doing something similar. We already know that original Switch units can hit higher clockrates both on CPU and GPU, and with this new model offering better battery life and thermals, I could see Nintendo releasing a variable setting for games that aims higher or just plain using the higher clocks and recommending people who have shorter battery life buy the newer console.

Anyone who thinks this new model is going to get exclusive power modes and just be an all around "must upgrade" are kidding themselves the same as they always have. Every rumor has been about a conservative boost and not a "pro" model system.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
If we get a new CPU, it would be really exciting. I can imagine an A72 or A73 CPU(which is still like 3 years old). It's going to be a big upgrade from the A57 but still compatible. We should get 2x performance at least easily, especially with a 12 or 16nm.

if it's out this year, a 12nm/16finfet docked mode on handheld should be feasible and maybe we can get up to 750-800 GFLOPs for the GPU in the best case scenario. Trying to keep my hopes low though. Getting a 6GB DDR4x RAM would be amazing too. Ahh don't want to keep my hopes up

You aren't getting any of that in 2019. Let it go

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The annoying thing about all of this is that people probably wouldn't even be complaining that much for a pro device if Nintendo allowed all games to run at 460mhz, or at full docked speeds, while in portable mode. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they do when this revision releases.

Eh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of nice features Nintendo could include in a potential Pro model that go well beyond clock speeds. Some people in this thread have mentioned Bluetooth audio for wireless headphones, which would be amazing. OLED panel is another obvious upgrade. Better WiFi adapter, better speakers. Removing those massive bezels would expand the screen size while keep the unit dimensions the same.

There's a lot they could do.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of nice features Nintendo could include in a potential Pro model that go well beyond clock speeds. Some people in this thread have mentioned Bluetooth audio for wireless headphones, which would be amazing. OLED panel is another obvious upgrade. Better WiFi adapter, better speakers. Removal of the bezels to expand the screen size would keep the console at the same size.

Oh I don't disagree, I just mean there wouldn't be such a huge demand right now if Nintendo had already taken the initiative on that front. Particularly considering hackers have already been doing it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017

It's not going to be any of that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So more of an Xbox One S kind of upgrade as opposed to Pro?
It being an fcc filing for the same ID would indicate that it would literally be the exact same device/name. I don't think they could do that, whilst also marketing and releasing it under a new name like a "S" or "slim".

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
The answer when a new one launches. Or when you want to actually play the games.

I feel like they are going for an iterative model. Like phones, but every 2-3 years instead of annually.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So we pretty much confirm due to Mochi and his talk about article.

WSJ article meant an "enhanced" Switch rather than a full upgrade Switch("Switch Pro")

We will probably get these iterative updates for the foreseeable future. With Nintendo adding a number to Switch to make it look bigger every half decade or so

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read through the entire thread but I'm not sure how people are taking this to mean there won't be a performance bump. This is a clear indication that there is a new SoC and a different memory configuration, right? We don't know what that means but that still could be around the boost we thought it would be (anything from 50% higher clocks to docked clocks in handheld mode).

I guess the question now is whether this is a quiet revision or something like a Switch ver. 2.

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
It's possible (and almost probable) that this new revision will have better thermals and battery life because of the updated SoC.

If this is the case.. I wonder what the Switch Pro is. It's certainly not just this revision with more memory, could it actually be a custom Tegra SoC?

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Will this be announced as a new revision, or will they just start shipping them out one day without anyone knowing?

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Eh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of nice features Nintendo could include in a potential Pro model that go well beyond clock speeds. Some people in this thread have mentioned Bluetooth audio for wireless headphones, which would be amazing. OLED panel is another obvious upgrade. Better WiFi adapter, better speakers. Removing those massive bezels would expand the screen size while keep the unit dimensions the same.

All of that sounds absolutely delish.
I don't know how realistic it would be, but I wouldn't mind if they managed to include wireless charging in a potential Switch Pro.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What will likely happen is that we'll get new colours with more storage this holiday. That's how they'll 'market' this hardware refresh, with the SoC performance upgrades being present but not spoken about too much.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read through the entire thread but I'm not sure how people are taking this to mean there won't be a performance bump. This is a clear indication that there is a new SoC and a different memory configuration, right? We don't know what that means but that still could be around the boost we thought it would be (anything from 50% higher clocks to docked clocks in handheld mode).

I guess the question now is whether this is a quiet revision or something like a Switch ver. 2.

Since it's an update to the existing filing, I'm not sure it can be shipped/marketed with any changes to the name. Not sure if someone can confirm that though.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Would be amazing if they up'd the memory instead of 32GB they add 64GB and up in the internal storage.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I lost my switch. So I'll just get this one. Look for the higher storage and it'll be the Updated one. When is it coming out?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
So how exactly are they going to announce this if Emily is correct and it's at least going to come in two new colors? They'll need to differentiate it somehow.

"We are pleased to announce that we have updated the Nintendo Switch! Now in non-grey colors!"

The "upgrade" is so insignificant it's not worth mentioning, so they will just announce two new colours for Nintendo switch and that will be it. No mention of slight bumps in performance.