• Yes, and they will sell more than that

Votes: 255 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting to see deals around $249 for Switch. $300 still, really? PS4 bundle at $200 is going to be very hard to pass up for a parent.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting to see deals around $249 for Switch. $300 still, really? PS4 bundle at $200 is going to be very hard to pass up for a parent.

The advantage Nintendo always has in these situations is their IP and the type of console Switch is (hybrid). I don't think Sony and MS deals are going to negatively impact Nintendo. They're just going to positively impact themselves. An attractive PS4 bundle does far more direct harm to Xbox than Nintendo. If someone wants a Switch bad enough, a cheap PS4 or XB1 isn't going to sway them in another direction. The same applies in the reverse direction, of course.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think over the we'll get a better idea in the next few weeks when we start getting sales numbers from the Pokémon and smash bundles.

I'm guessing that PS4 bundle will sellout super quickly again this year.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I could be wrong. The casuals/lapsed gamers could show up in droves for this release. I don't see it happening, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

I'm sort of just on the other side of the fence from you. I have an inkling that it will do just fine. I certainly don't think it will flop relative to other mainline games. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold slightly less than, say, Sun & Moon, but I think it will be pretty close.

It's probably because I count myself among the lapsed who can't wait to get back into the series, and a good number of my friends are in the same boat. So I guess I have a problem separating my perspective from the larger market.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go! will sell fine in a vacuum, but poor relative to most Pokemon titles.

It's going to be used by console warriors throughout 2019 to discredit the IP and lots of folks on this site will grossly underestimate the appeal and hardware-moving potential of Gen 8 because of it. Gonna' be fun.

To be fair some people on this site will underestimate the appeal of any title once the current fiscal year is over and a new one is about to start. That's just how it is with Nintendo.

Sell the bundled game and you have your $249 price point. Also that PS4 bundle is not gonna last long. Once stock is gone it's over.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the 300 dollar switch bundle would help Nintendo hit their targets but I'm not so sure anymore. With aggressive pricing strategies from Sony and Microsoft it could really put a dent in Nintendo's holiday sales.

I don't think what Sony or MS does will really have any effect on how the Switch does this holiday. These three consoles seem to coexist remarkably well.

There's a $299 bundle including a free $59 game (MK8DX) which is essentially a $59 price cut. So far only at Target but since the game is preloaded onto the system I don't think it will be Target exclusive.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder how many people are like me and always wait for the first inevitable hardware revision when it comes to Nintendo?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It does seem pretty silly to make a game that intentionally does not appeal to an audience that typically buys 15 million copies of a game.

It's not that silly if you sell 10 million but 7 million are people traditionally not interested in consoles who bought a Switch for the game. Specially when a lot of the traditional pokemon fanbase is already in because of other traditional Nintendo core games and they will cater to them with Pokemon 2019.

Of course, maybe It doesn't work and they end up selling like 3-4 million, but that's the gambit.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
We'll start to get an idea in 15 days when Lets GO gets released.

Smash will be a a success, no doubt. But the game that will make Nintendo hit or miss the 20mi mark is Pokemon. If the game succeds in bring the GO players to Switch , then 20mi is a lock.

IMO Nintendo will sell around 18mi this FY wich is a great number. PKMN will sell well but not as good as the traditional series. Maybe 10mi when its all said and done, after all, its Pokemon. But the game wont move as much console as Nintendo wishes.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like Nintendo needs 1 more big game for Q1 2019 to hit that sweet number.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I'm always wondering how sagas like Mario, Pokemon, Smash or Mario Kart still have their public... And every iteration keeps surprising me with millions of units sold through, so could happen.

I think it's difficult to match those numbers, but who knows. These things are unpredictable with Nintendo

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a $299 bundle including a free $59 game (MK8DX) which is essentially a $59 price cut. So far only at Target but since the game is preloaded onto the system I don't think it will be Target exclusive.

Sell the bundled game and you have your $249 price point. Also that PS4 bundle is not gonna last long. Once stock is gone it's over.

But the PS4 also comes with a bundled game, a much newer one at that. If that's the argument, then the PS4 is less than $150. I expect PS4 to eat into Switch's sales a bit.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But the PS4 also comes with a bundled game, a much newer one at that. If that's the argument, then the PS4 is less than $150. I expect PS4 to eat into Switch's sales a bit.

Oh yeah I'm not doubting the PS4 bundle is an insane value at all, just pointing out that this is technically a price drop.

I don't think the PS4 will eat into the Switch's sales all that much though, they haven't really been competing like that since the Switch came out. They've been coexisting remarkably well.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My question with the PS4 is how many of those bundles Sony will be stuffing into the channel. They sold like wildfire last year, but also they sold out very quickly.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

There was a $199 PS4 bundle last year as well and Switch done fine without a major system seller in Nov or Dec. This year there are some Switch deals and plenty of bundles.

PS4 will do great, but Switch will also do fine.

Edit:
I forgot about that one. I think that one should do it if marketed properly and lord knows it has been for the past couple of weeks XD

Smash will likely still be moving some units in January as well. NSMB only has to help maintain some momentum.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Let's Go! will sell fine in a vacuum, but poor relative to most Pokemon titles.

It's going to be used by console warriors throughout 2019 to discredit the IP and lots of folks on this site will grossly underestimate the appeal and hardware-moving potential of Gen 8 because of it. Gonna' be fun.
But what is the threshold under which classify "poor relative to most Pokemon titles"?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Naw, I think PS4 and Switch have two fairly different markets. Obviously there's overlap between the two, but it's not a one to one match like PS4 vs Xbox One.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The one way PS4 will eat into Switch is with Fortnite. Parents are going to buy whichever Fortnite bundle is the cheapest for their kids. Are there will be kids out there that will literally only want to play Fortnite.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The $199 PS4 won't have enough stock to negatively impact Switch. If it was a general price drop yes but not a retailer specific BF deal that'll probably sell out within an hour.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This forum is going to collectively have a hernia when Let's Go is both received by critics better than expected and sells like crazy. I'm going to bet it ends up somewhere around ~75-78 on Opencritic with "Hey, this is better than we expected!" reviews.

Nintendo's hitting that 20m units target, mark my words.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
If Animal Crossing releases in March, maybe. Hard to tell. Nintendo does very well during the holidays, though. They might be very successful.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The $199 PS4 won't have enough stock to negatively impact Switch. If it was a general price drop yes but not a retailer specific BF deal that'll probably sell out within an hour.

I dunno why, but I've been thinking of that Spider-Man bundle as something that'll last all Holiday. This post is a good refresher that it'll only be available in limited quantities for a few days.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's very safe to bet these numbers for the current trimester (Oct-Dec):

10 million Switches sold
7 million copies of Pokémon Let's Go
5 million copies of Smash

The riskier bets would be:

15 million Switches
12 million Let's Go
8 million Smash

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
I think it's very safe to bet these numbers for the current trimester (Oct-Dec):

10 million Switches sold

15 million Switches
12 million Let's Go
8 million Smash
15M during holiday is impossible, 12M is max even DS couldnt pass that.
I predict 10M shipped for both pokemon and smash this holiday

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I expect hardware sales to slow. Nintendo fans and diehards (the ones that buy their ip at release) already own a switch. With Nintendos strong start with Mario and Zelda I don't think we will see huge numbers outside of black Friday. Pokemon will sell great but I don't think it will sell 10 million systems.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I expect hardware sales to slow. Nintendo fans and diehards (the ones that buy their ip at release) already own a switch. With Nintendos strong start with Mario and Zelda I don't think we will see huge numbers outside of black Friday. Pokemon will sell great but I don't think it will sell 10 million systems.
Sales to slow down in the next 3 months?

That's a brave prediction.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
15M during holiday is impossible, 12M is max even DS couldnt pass that.
I predict 10M shipped for both pokemon and smash this holiday
It's a larger market today, but indeed it's a very high mark.

Well, 15m is their forecast until March, so 10m in Oct-Dec and 5m in Jan-Mar would fit that bill.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

December NPD results are sure gonna' be something

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What result in Q3 would convince you that your intuition is wrong?

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Sales to slow down in the next 3 months?

That's a brave prediction.
Sony outsold them all last year with a simple discount, now they are bundling it with one of the best selling exclusives. I think their going to have a tough fight. Nintendo has to sell almost 4 million units per month with two of those months being slower sales months (Jan and Feb are not as strong sales months).

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot understand why some people think that PS4 doing well means Switch won't do well. The console warrior mentality sure is something else.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like Nintendo might fall short, but not by much. I originally went with the 20 million though so I think I'll stand by it. Really going to depend on Pokémon, Smash, and their Jan-Mar lineup...and if the rumors are true then we should find out more about that in a direct later this month. If not then I expect we'll still have one in January.

If Animal Crossing somehow drops early in the spring then 20 million is probably a lock. I don't think that will happen, but you never know. Reggie said they don't like to announce games that are beyond a 9 month window if I'm not mistaken, so AC ought to still come sooner than later.

I cannot understand why some people think that PS4 doing well means Switch won't do well. The console warrior mentality sure is something else.

Well, it's a fact that people can only get one console in a holiday season. Also, current PS4 owners aren't interested in Switch. Didn't you know? /s

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lmao wut ??

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony outsold them all last year with a simple discount, now they are bundling it with one of the best selling exclusives. I think their going to have a tough fight. Nintendo has to sell almost 4 million units per month with two of those months being slower sales months (Jan and Feb are not as strong sales months).

February is usually very very strong.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

10 million Switches sold

15 million Switches
12 million Let's Go
8 million Smash

8 million for Smash as a risk? Dude 8 million is like the absolutely minimum, it will easy sell 10 million, i expect Nintendo to ship at the very least 12 million.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
8 million for Smash as a risk? Dude 8 million is like the absolutely minimum, it will easy sell 10 million, i expect Nintendo to ship at the very least 12 million.
Smash could very well ship fewer units than Mario Odyssey did by Dec 31, given that it's launching after Black Friday, with 24 days left during the period, after Black Friday vs. Odyssey which came before Black Friday with 65 days left in the period.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Smash could very well ship fewer units than Mario Odyssey did by Dec 31, given that it's launching after Black Friday, with 24 days left during the period, after Black Friday vs. Odyssey which came before Black Friday with 65 days left in the period.

Nintendo will 100% ship more units for Smash D1 than what they did in 3 2 months for Mario Odyssey.

We are gonna see 10 million shipped only for D1.

Status
Not open for further replies.