• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I loves that direct, it was amazing. So many announcements I had been waiting for like goldeneye, Fire emblem, Pikmin, Zelda and more. At the same time it is so funny Advance Wars is MIA despite originally being ready to come out 5 months ago

Oct 27, 2017
So here's my thought process regarding the Switch 2 and when it launches: As we know, the Switch has a stacked line up from now to May 12, 2023:

-- 2022 --
Later this year: Next wave of N64 Games
September 9th:Splatoon 3
September 22nd: The DioField Chronicle
September 27th: Life is Strange Arcadia Bay Collection
(Re-release) September 30th:Bayonetta
October 6th: NieR: Automata The End of YoRHa Edition
October 7th: No Mans Sky
October 20th: Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
October 28th: Bayonetta 3
Holiday Season: Mario Kart Booster Course Wave 3 Courses
November 4th: Harvestella
November 8th: Sonic Frontiers
November 11th: Tactics Ogre: Reborn
November 18th: Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
December 9th: Dragon Quest Treasures
December 12th: Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion

-- 2023 --
January 20th - Fire Emblem: Engage
February 16th - Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
February 24th - Octopath Traveler II, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, Atelier Ryza 3
March 2023 - Fitness Boxing Fist of the North Star
Spring 2023 - Fae Farm, Ib, Tales of Symphonia Remastered, Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE
May 12th - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Summer 2023 - Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
Unknown Date but seemingly 2023: Pikmin 4, Rune Factory 3 Special Edition, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake, 2 more FRONT Mission Remakes

With this lineup, it makes no sense for Nintendo announce the Switch 2 in 2023 whatsoever. I'm sorry, it doesn't. And with this being the case, I think this tells me that 2023 is the last big year for the Switch. The Switch gets it's one last year of killing it and an amazing "send off" with BOTW2, Pikmin 4 and a couple of other exclusives that are either ports like Kirby Return to Dreamland or remakes like Advance Wars 1+2 in the same year. That leaves everyone thinking "huh what's next for Nintendo and the Switch", which gives Nintendo their wide open layup of the grand reveal for the Switch 2 in March 2024 and boom, launches the same year with Metroid Prime 4 as a cross-gen title, a new Mario game finally and one or two smaller titles. Plus, it gives Nintendo the ability to keep pushing launch owners onto the SWOLED with more limited editions like Splatoon 3, Pokemon and probably BOTW2 so everyone is on modern hardware and so they may not feel the need to rush for a Switch 2 which also allows them to keep doing cross-gen titles for the first year two as well. It just makes too much sense IMO.

What do you guys think?
I could see switch 2 holiday 2023 but 2024 is more likely. Maybe a 4K hdr re package of MK8 with all DLC and a 3D Mario as the main title, Pikmin 4 crossgen. But I'm thinking it's less likely

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
-- 2022 --
Later this year: Next wave of N64 Games
September 9th:Splatoon 3
September 22nd: The DioField Chronicle
September 27th: Life is Strange Arcadia Bay Collection
(Re-release) September 30th:Bayonetta
October 6th: NieR: Automata The End of YoRHa Edition
October 7th: No Mans Sky
October 20th: Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
October 28th: Bayonetta 3
Holiday Season: Mario Kart Booster Course Wave 3 Courses
November 4th: Harvestella
November 8th: Sonic Frontiers
November 11th: Tactics Ogre: Reborn
November 18th: Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
December 9th: Dragon Quest Treasures
December 12th: Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion

What do you guys think?

I know it's not really the point to be comprehensive in that listing, but I'd also add Persona 5 Royal and Front Mission 1st Remake, since they seem to be fairly prominently featured by Nintendo.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I could see switch 2 holiday 2023 but 2024 is more likely. Maybe a 4K hdr re package of MK8 with all DLC and a 3D Mario as the main title, Pikmin 4 crossgen. But I'm thinking it's less likely
Just a reminder though, they did say the Switch was at the half point cycle of it's lifespan. I do think it's legitimately farther away than we think.
P5R is Oct. 21st and Front Mission just has November 2022 at the moment (from today's direct).
Added!

Paula B.

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 13, 2021
Rio de Janeiro
When Miyamoto appeared on the screen, I was sure that we would get to see the first Mario movie trailer. Instead, he mentioned the movie, Super Nintendo World and then spent minutes advertising a mobile Pikmin game. Anyways... back to waiting for news on the Mario movie, hopefully, it doesn't take until the Game Awards for us to get a first glimpse of the movie.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
so much kirby

kirby-eating.gif

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So no Metroid and no WW/TP.

I think it is well past time people stop listening to a certain "insider."

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Direct was solid. Also xbc3 expansion pass acquired
Yep, it appealed to me way more than I thought it would, I have so many games preordered already lmaoo
If Metroid is still coming this year then it's incredibly dumb to not announce it today
Yep, but it's Nintendo, I fully expect a random announcement on a random day lmao
So no Metroid and no WW/TP.

I think it is well past time people stop listening to a certain "insider."
I mean, I guess. It's just hard to really care anymore, I still got games I want and am thoroughly looking forward to that'll occupy my mind so it's not too much of a blow for me (regarding WW/TWP)

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
If Metroid is still coming this year then it's incredibly dumb to not announce it today
It just doesn't make sense. The only explanation I can think of is that they want to announce it closer to the 20th anniversary. But honestly, if they just do a random twitter announcement I'll be really frustrated. Surely Metroid Prime deserves a slot in the direct at least as much as Octopath Traveler II.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why they loaded February. Four games I want to buy in that month were shown in the Direct.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It just doesn't make sense. The only explanation I can think of is that they want to announce it closer to the 20th anniversary. But honestly, if they just do a random twitter announcement I'll be really frustrated. Surely Metroid Prime deserves a slot in the direct at least as much as Octopath Traveler II.
Yeah, like, it's another WND (Weird Nintendo Decision lmao) but in the end, the fans will absolutely show up no matter when or how it gets announced. It's not like people will ignore it or anything, I just wish it got announced here to give this direct that extra bump you know?
I don't get why they loaded February. Four games I want to buy in that month were shown in the Direct.
I know right!? Early 2023 looking STACKED for the Switch and I'm just here for the ride lmao. I would've loved if Kirby got to March just so it stands on it's own to get the love it deserves but fuck it. I plan on getting Theatrhythm and Kirby in February

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like all the gameplay snippets were so short. I wanted to see more from the Nintendo 1st party stuff.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Got this updated everyone! Just to keep track of everything...

07-Switch-Games-published-by-Nintendo-Sept-2022.png

Surprisingly, this is the first year without a single port! (well, besides re-selling Bayo 1, I suppose); a milestone for Nintendo on Switch, for sure lol
Wow, this is really fucking nice dude. Well done! I'll threadmark this post.
I feel like all the gameplay snippets were so short. I wanted to see more from the Nintendo 1st party stuff.
I mean, they do deep dives all of the time in separate directs. All in good time! Plus, they're definitely deep into much bigger projects that are still not ready to be shown (new Mario, new Donkey Kong (if it exists), MP4 etc lol.

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
I'll choose to believe Prime HD isn't happening. Kind of sick of this same rumor going round and round. If/when it gets announced, great! Until then I'm not listening to any leaks regarding Metroid, lol.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'll choose to believe Prime HD isn't happening. Kind of sick of this same rumor going round and round. If/when it gets announced, great! Until then I'm not listening to any leaks regarding Metroid, lol.
I'm at this point with all of the rumors regarding any HD ports at this point. It's hard to believe in them to be honest. Sure, logically, part of me is like "well, we wouldn't be hearing this so consistently there wasn't some level of truth to these rumors" but I'm also at the point where I'm tired of these insiders saying these things and it not coming into fruition. When it comes to Metroid Prime 1, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, I don't want to hear about them anymore. Insiders need to either stop talking about it and let it be an actual surprise when the moment comes or only mention it when you're 110% sure that it's happening at a specific event.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
All I want is to be able to play Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker on my Switch but I guess I'm being unrealistic and clinging to my personal Gamecube nostalgia a bit too much. When Sunshine was released on 3D All stars I thought maybe, just maybe that was a sign the other two were also coming at some point, oh well. ;__;

It was still a pretty solid Direct.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the Zelda title is great and Fire Emblem looks good and Pikmin 4 is neat... but yeah otherwise a LOT of fluff in those 40 minutes. The sheer amount of JRPG farming sims was nuts!

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
All I want is to be able to play Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker on my Switch but I guess I'm being unrealistic and clinging to my personal Gamecube nostalgia a bit too much. When Sunshine was released on 3D All stars I thought maybe, just maybe that was a sign the other two were also coming at some point, oh well. ;__;

It was still a pretty solid Direct.
I know man, I know. It's what we all want and at the end of the day, maybe we'll get there. The worst thing that can happen is another tier of NSO which adds Gamecube/GBA/GBC or whatever. I'm not even mad at the idea but I love the Gamecube as much as most people do (it's one of my favorite consoles of all time), so I'd do a whole lot just to be able to play Gamecube games on my Switch
Getting the Zelda title is great and Fire Emblem looks good and Pikmin 4 is neat... but yeah otherwise a LOT of fluff in those 40 minutes. The sheer amount of JRPG farming sims was nuts!
Funniest part regarding the Farming games is that I legitimately can't wait to play all of em lmao

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Alright, I've played up to five days in Harvestella's demo, here's some overly long thoughts. The TLDR of it is that Harvestella has some problems but a lot of what it's trying to do is good in my opinion. I could easily see this being either a secret hit for the Switch that people will see coming out of nowhere or it'll be one of those games where it's only for a specific audience and if you're not into it, you won't like it at all. Thus far, I'm still in, which I'm happy to say since I've been hype for it since it's been revealed.

- It's not an absurd problem to me but there's a noticeable pop in often in this game. It's not as bad as you'd think and it's not as jarring as I thought it'd be for a Switch game, but it is easily noticeable. Again, it's a neutral to me because I'm specifically used to this by now like most people should be since we've had the Switch for so long now but I know a lot of people may hate this for obvious reasons.
- The loading, man. It's not that long at all but it's noticeable when the game tries to get you from one major scene to another. It doesn't happen often where EVERY thing requires to be loaded or you find yourself hitting the button to open a menu and it takes a noticeable amount of time. It's just that in the small bits where it happens, it's noticeable enough to make you want it to hurry up and get to the point lol. For what it's worth though, this is in "Neutral" for me because it's not terrible or obnoxious, it's just noticeable, that's all. If the loading times were longer, I would absolutely put this complaint into the bad, though.
- Some people may disagree with me on this but, I kind of wish there was at least some voice acting in this game. It doesn't even have to be for every single line but at least a sound effect or something when a character who's seemingly important like Cres or Dim talk would make this experience a little better. Without it, the game feels less interesting or at least doesn't grab your attention like it should despite being more interesting than the trailers let alone. Again, though, that's just my opinion I could understand why people may be put off by this complaint/idea.

- The artwork is so damn good. The amount of detail they put into the character's image when their text pops up in a dialogue box for Cres or Dim, or when you go into the menus and look at the Party screen (highly suggest this), is fucking incredibly. Holy shit.
- The music. There's not much say here, the music is fucking great. It's legitimately good and it absolutely stands out just like the art does.
- I don't know why but the menus feel so incredibly familiar. It doesn't seem too overwhelming or too much to get used and something that will incredibly easy to memory, which you know is nice these days.
- For a game that's seemingly come off incredibly simple, the demo leaves such a better impression of the game's story. It doesn't seem generic at all. In fact, it actually feels like there's something well thought out with this story and something worth caring about rather than it just being a basic story of living a farm life. Not that that's a problem, but it's nice to see that there's some crazy ass story happening in this game lol.
- The overworld map. I only got a small glimpse of it obviously but I don't hate it at all! It absolutely gets the job done and honestly, it kind've looks like a board game in a way.
- In the very small glimpse of farming we get, I like it! It's not hard to remember, obnoxious to control nor does it require a ton of steps (at least thus far).
- I personally like UI when you're farming. In a way, it almost feels like/looks like an offline MMORPG in terms having to navigate your inventory for seeds to plant. It's obviously not always there but when you have a hot bar like that in a game (which is pretty cool in my opinion!) it's hard to not get that MMO feel.

- There's very noticeable jittering in a lot of cutscenes transitions, like it's pretty rough in terms of how much something simple can stutter such as the camera panning upwards when you first meet Cres.
- This game absolutely needs some sort of auto text continuation setting. There's so much talking and it's not even that I mind it but when a game has so much dialogue, I love to just sit back and watch shit play out naturally rather than constantly having to press A to continue the dialogue in dialogue heavy games. That QOL feature genuinely matters and makes the experience of playing a JRPG better.
- I hate the idea of crafting items taking up time of your day. That just seems like a recipe for disaster as you get further into the game and unlock recipes for items that take off one hour, two hours or even possibly more time off of your days.
- Speaking of time, I hate how quick time moves in this game. It feels like you get barely any time to get things done. I don't know if the time moves down or as you level up, the time goes by slower but in the beginning you REALLY feel it and it's not a feel good feeling. Like, there is no reason for time to move SO fast when you're in the overworld map. It's just a weird idea that artifically makes the game a bit more annoying than it has to be. This is probably the worst thing about the game (thus far).
- Small complaint but I wish you could open up the minimap to get a better look at what your area is but uh, this game doesn't let us so that sucks

If it makes you feel better:
A) No one can blame you. They, insiders, absolutely made it seem like Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and Metroid Prime 1 Remake were an absolute LOCK for this Direct. So for you to feel betrayed or bamboozled is legitimately justified.
B) There is absolutely still a chance for a random tweet announcement from Nintendo. They did that for the Mario 3D All Stars which means it's still a stupid but viable option that can happen in the long run.
C) I almost feel like these ports HAVE to exist. They're spoken about way too much for them to not be a real thing so I doubt they're non-existent. When there's smoke, there's fire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So now that the dust has settled, even if you only one thing to positively talk about, what are got you excited or hyped from this Nintendo Direct y'all?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Pikmin is a rock solid base for next year. Few smaller titles in between and something big for the holidays and it's a great lineup already.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I believe in the Metroid Prime rumour more so than the Zelda ports, mainly because Emily Rogers is still talking about MP and she's one of the insiders I trust the most.

As for what blew me away the most from the Direct, definitely Pikmin 4, but annoying as fuck we didn't get much footage from it.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Bayonetta 3 previews are up y'all and it sounds fucking amazing
www.resetera.com

Bayonetta 3 Previews Going Up News

will update with more as I find them https://youtu.be/tbxKlwMHg7E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16QySNBhS_Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lStYAl7Z9Tg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Lpj6naiX4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZF1sjOQqcI...

Pikmin 4's announcement pushed me over the edge to buy a Switch OLED today. Also looking forward to Bayo 3
Honestly? Same. I'm waiting to see if I can get my hands on the Pokemon SWOLED. If I can't then man I don't know if I'll get one
I believe in the Metroid Prime rumour more so than the Zelda ports, mainly because Emily Rogers is still talking about MP and she's one of the insiders I trust the most.

As for what blew me away the most from the Direct, definitely Pikmin 4, but annoying as fuck we didn't get much footage from it.
Metroid Prime is definitely gonna like a random Tuesday announcement type shit lmao. Nintendo is so fucking weird sometimes. As for the Pikmin 4 hype, I get ya. I understand though that they probably wanna fine tune the game JUST a bit more so its reveal is far more hype than it already is

Llenn

May 18, 2022
Can you actually preorder the Bayonetta 1 rerelease yet? I can't find it anywhere here in Germany...

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Can you actually preorder the Bayonetta 1 rerelease yet? I can't find it anywhere here in Germany...
In the US, Bayo 1's re-release has been up for preorder for a really long time now so I don't k now what to say here lol
It's so frustrating because Metroid deserves that prime time Direct spot over some random farming sim games. Hey though, maybe we've been duped and MP1 remake won't be a winter game.
It absolutely does deserve the respect, you're not wrong about it but I could also see Nintendo's perspective of "this is gonna sell regardless, it doesn't need to be a Direct announcement" which is a fair perspective all things considered. No matter what, the remake will sell. Maybe they're just waiting for it to be closer to it's release so Nintendo can be like "yeah hey, this is happening and uh it's out in 2 weeks get hyped y'all" like they did with Mario 3D All Stars which also worked for them. It's weird situation all around. I have no idea what to think of it beyond that because both sides are right and both sides make total sense, you get me?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It absolutely does deserve the respect, you're not wrong about it but I could also see Nintendo's perspective of "this is gonna sell regardless, it doesn't need to be a Direct announcement" which is a fair perspective all things considered. No matter what, the remake will sell. Maybe they're just waiting for it to be closer to it's release so Nintendo can be like "yeah hey, this is happening and uh it's out in 2 weeks get hyped y'all" like they did with Mario 3D All Stars which also worked for them. It's weird situation all around. I have no idea what to think of it beyond that because both sides are right and both sides make total sense, you get me?
I guess that somewhat makes sense. The demographic that watches Nintendo Directs are probably going to buy Metroid or other 1st party Nintendo games anyway. Still think they're crazy for their random Twitter drops. 😂

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I guess that somewhat makes sense. The demographic that watches Nintendo Directs are probably going to buy Metroid or other 1st party Nintendo games anyway. Still think they're crazy for their random Twitter drops. 😂
Absolutely and trust me, even if we hate this idea it still fucking worked the first time. Look at the sheer numbers on this tweet that announced Mario 3D All Stars 15 days before it's release:

View: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1301509118549688321?s=20&t=7bpCeXZJjD6z6Vp8Gmh2yg

38.7K Retweets, 26.8K Quote Tweets and 135.2K Likes. No one can blame Nintendo for seeing this type of announcement as a viable option for surprise announcements that are much closer than we think. People immediately met this Mario announcement with hype from the minute it was revealed. It's absolutely on the table for Wind Waker HD / Twilight Princess HD or the Metroid Prime remake lmao. It's fucking absurd that it works, don't get me wrong, but it's also pretty damn exciting because these leaves the door open for other potential ports/remakes/dual packs etc from Nintendo as well.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
If I've let my Nintendo Online lapse but want to re-sign up with the added Expansion Pack, what's the cheapest way of doing it? I'm in the UK btw

Status
Not open for further replies.