• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do people not think Pokémon and Smash and are going to crush it?? When did investors become ERA/GAF levels of entitled for surprises?

Smash will move consoles, absolutely. Pokemon, specifically the one were getting, will not. It isn't pokemon. Its GO with more bells and whistles attached to it.

Subba

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
Smash will sale, but it's hard to get excited for it. It may not be a port, but it feels like one, especially when only one new character was shown off.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
They could do cross-promotions, like offer Link to return to Soul Calibur VI, and take a Soul Calibur character like Mitsurugi into Smash. I'm sure Namco would be interested. Instead, they put Star Fox into Starlink, a game which holds 0% appeal for me.

Hold on. Whats stopping namco making Nintendo an offer like that if they really wanted soul Calibur VI on switch.

Nintendo said years ago they were open for 3rd parties to use some of there IP's.

Ubisoft twice now have took advantage of that.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean they spent their whole conference on one game, and I'm still not sure if it's a new game or just a better version of the Wiiu one.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smash Ultimate just feels too soon. I still regularly play Smash for Wii U and 3DS, because they have ridiculous amounts of replay value, as Smash games usually do. I'm used to 6 to 7-year gaps between releases, and it's just hard for me to generate much excitement over the new game because there hasn't been as much downtime the last time.

I know it's not a Wii U port but it's kinda the icing on the shit cake that has been Nintendo's port-happy release schedule. Nintendo's first party releases of 2018 so far have been games I played literally four years ago and a mediocre-to-average Kirby game. (Can't offer any opinion on Sushi Striker, as I haven't played it yet, but I'll probably get the 3DS game anyway.) It's just not a good look for Nintendo.
Yea, I agree with all of this. Well said. In 2018, other than Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces, there really isn't much in terms of first party support if you owned a Wii U. There are dozens of us!!!!.gif

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
No, you continue to maintain that it was a deliberate act not a reflection of market conditions, although Nintendo - accurately - predicted the unsustainability of such a model, which was one of their decisions that eld to the Wii, which the 'core gamers' couldn't hate enough.
There are - right now - literally hundreds of titles available on the Switch.
More games than a human being could possibly play in a year. Nintendo have the support of dozens of companies on the switch.

Ok cool.

You completely abandoned everything else but thought you had something you could attack and swung for the rafters on it. Swing and a miss. In fact you swung when no pitch was thrown.

What was a deliberate act? What do you think you are responding too?

Core gamers loved the wii. Especially the first half of its lifespan. Despite the fact their was a bumch of cash in shovekware garbage, their was also a ron of meaty games for core gamers, a lot of which, were experiences you basically couldnt find on the hdtwins anymore. Message board fanboys hated the wii.

Why are you even trying to make this argument. At no point in time did I say I didn't like the direction Nintendo went. As I already stated earlier, this isn't a course issue, it's a scale issue.

Nothing you brought up changes the fact Nintendo was unable to secure or create enough content to keep the wiis momentum going and the system sputtered out in its second half, with a sparse and disappointing release library, and people in na literally having to start a massive grass roots movement just for Nintendo to bring over games they wanted to play, while ps360 continued to gain steam, past the Wii, and the entire lifespan of the wii's successor.

The switch DOES have hundreds of games. Just the vast majority of them are not games anyone would buy a console for. Tentpole games are very obviously the subject here, and there is a reason they are called such, they hold up the tent. Nintendos console released with a killer tentpole release to great success.... and ever since Nintendo's system has been anemic in these releases, and they've shown that's not going to change in the next year.

They aren't producing enough content. If they dont have third parties to fill those gaps with games of similar clout, because of the direction they chose to go with with their consoles, they need to find a different way to meet the necessary content throughput rate. Like starting up more studios.

That is not saying, nor is it remotely close to saying, Nintendo should have released a ps4 like system.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean they spent their whole conference on one game, and I'm still not sure if it's a new game or just a better version of the Wiiu one.
See, even that would have been fine if it were a Breath of the Wild type thing... or if the Wii U version of Smash didn't already exist. A game with such newness that it can be spoken about for an hour or more all by itself.

But the new Smash, despite looking amazing, is really not that because it is such a safe looking sequel. In fact, I'd argue this is less of Smash 5 type of thing, and more of a Street Fighter II: Turbo type of "sequel".

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
????????????

Animal Crossing with a good online system (note, this is nearly impossible because Nintendo's online engineers are terrible but bear with me here) would sell like 20-25m units.

Even Animal Crossing with garbage online will do 10-15m.

Way to completely miss my point.

Investors don't care. They're investing in lots and lots of different companies in different sectors, and they care about what is making money right now. They will have literally no idea about most games that Nintendo release, unless it's stuff that enters the mainstream zeitgeist, like Pokemon Go. You really think some sort of market analyst is going to say "wow, a sequel to the 7th best selling game on 3DS! Buy buy buy!!!"

Also as a side note, the best selling Animal Crossing games sold 11m, I'm not really sure why you think a Switch version would more than double that, however, my point is that, even if that was likely, investors wouldn't give a shit until it was actually happening.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was a deliberate act? What do you think you are responding too?

Your ongoing belief that a cartel of AAA publishers forced a scenario where the games industry is where it is, yet being completely oblivious to even your own buying habits.
The "tentpole releases" you're talking about are literally the big expensive games you claim to be the root of all problems.
Nobody is forcing you to want more big expensive games. Nobody is manipulating the market to stop anyone making games that aren't big and expensive.
You yourself are dismissing the titles that aren't big and expensive as not worth owing a platorm for.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I mean they spent their whole conference on one game,
Su9WLiM.png

To bad they are now ticketing the lines for Smash demos so no more trampling Videos

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish we knew how much lower their H1 2018 has been thus far (and also compared to other systems in their second year). We live in a world where Wii U happened, and the Switch has still not reached the level lifetime sales were it is viable yet. So, personally, I am extremely worried about the prospects of the system right now. This is quite sad, because the Switch is pretty much the only portable console left with viability at this point and if it fails it essentially means that gaming for me will be done.
I think it was a poor e3 showing, but the system is FAR from nonviable at this point.

It will continue to sell well and remain viable until 2021, even if it stops breaking sales records. And lets face it, if you didn't have a Wii U (and most people didn't), this year was still amazing. And next year will be too.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess? I don't think it's drip feed at all. Like I've said, I think I've gone only one month in which I haven't bought anything for the Switch.

Whether you like what it offers is another thing. And that's fair.

But okay, you don't like what it offers so you won't get one. That's fair. This narrative I'm starved for games is silly unless the games don't interest you. Which is also fair. But if it's not for you, is that a big deal? We don't have to own everything.

I mean, I would love to get an Xbox. I really would. It's a nice machine, and with Sea of Theives and as a 4K media player, it could be my jam. But unless they start getting output from Atlus and the other AA Japanese devs, the system as it stands offers nothing to me. Which is the only reason I have a PS4, because while I enjoy them, I can probably go my life without playing another GoW or Tomb Raider and not miss them (two games I like).

I think Switch will have to rely on first/second party, indies, and AA Japanese games. Which to me is a dream. As for first party, you have a point, and they have to expand and acquire more studios - Western and Japanese. But if you said is true, that they have started hiring and expanding, then that's great!

The problem comes with the fact the types of games, and franchises I want, ARE the kinds of games Nintendo makes, and in fact, Nintendo cobsoles, are now generally the only place you can ever hope to FIND these kinds of games anymore. And there is still a huge market for these games, as botw aptly demonstrated. We just aren't being served, because we are an 'opportunity cost' because we are not the biggest possible audience that can make maximum profit and then become recurring income as whales.

But Nintendo doesn't have the content throughput to serve all the people who are putting money on the table. So certain tastes get served, while others are left waiting. For years. And years. And years. And then you get one fucking game in 5, 10 years, when you and millions like you would happily put down 60 bucks multiple times a year for games like these.

Yes, Nintendo has finally started reinvesting in itself. Which is good. But we won't be seeing the fruit if this until the end of the switches life.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Su9WLiM.png

To bad they are now ticketing the lines for Smash demos so no more trampling Videos

Yeah, that is good and all but it might have something to do with other systems actually having multiple games to show and that people want to experience.
The sheer determination of Nintendo fans to not be able to address the realities and issues of their own system and the company behind it is almost cult like.
Playstation fans have had to do it.
Microsoft fans have had to do it.
PC fans have had to do it.
Sega fans sure as hell had to do it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Nintendo investors are literally the worst. They panic at every second, making Nintendo's stock fluctuate nearly as much as a cryptocurrency. I can still remember the Pokemon GO stock debacle.

Seriously, if it depended on them, Nintendo would only be releasing terrible cashgrab games for IOS and Android. Thank goodness Nintendo still has that impossibly naive, yet amazing game design philosophy embedded within management.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Could some kind soul just hook me up with a list of what the rest of the year looks like for Nintendo by month? Exclusive wise.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your ongoing belief that a cartel of AAA publishers forced a scenario where the games industry is where it is
The fact you still haven't bothered to Google shit like price fixing in The games industry is literally fucking amazing.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/31/business/fi-nintendo31

I'm just going to keep a steady supply of these and literally use them like a rolled up newspaper to swat you on the nose for every time you try and pretend reality is not real because you reeeeeeaaally like videogames.

, yet being completely oblivious to even your own buying habits.

Oh this is going to be rich.

The "tentpole releases" you're talking about are literally the big expensive games you claim to be the root of all problems.

No, they literally aren't. You can have engaging designs with big engrossing adventures without weaponizing shit like a graphics race, celebrity vo, cinematics, and other shit to drive up the price of making games, while keeping the msrp the same, so other studios who can't afford to swallow those costs for years go under.

Nobody is forcing you to want more big expensive games.
It's not the kind of games that are expensive.

Nobody is manipulating the market to stop anyone making games that aren't big and expensive.
That's literally what predatory pricing does.

There are two ways to do it, you can undercut the prices on your current product to less than it's worth, in which case your competition would be forced to price match in order to keep selling, until they are run out of business because they didn't have pockets as big as the predator to swallow the losses.

OR:

You make a product that is waaaaaay more expensive and shiny than what the typical market cost is but sell it for the same price as a product that costs way less to make. Then the competition has to try and match the production values, until they go.out of busimess because their pockets werent big enough to keep swallowing the costs This is basic shit dude.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_pricing
You yourself are dismissing the titles that aren't big and expensive as not worth owing a platorm for.

No, I am not going to buy a console for hundreds of retro puzzlers and sidescrollers and a drip feed of actually engaging games, when it just showed there will be no pressing reason to buy it, for at least the next year. I will buy it used and enjoy an actual good chunk of content that will keep me busy for a while, because the entire library will be available, instead of the agonizing drip feed. Unless Nintendo can show it will be worth my time and money getting the console before then.

And once again, you do not need to sink a bazillion dollars in a ridiculously high end workstation to precompute ridiculous shaders to approximate shit the console could never dream of doing in real time, and hire ridiculously expensive voice actors, and have hours of cinematics....

To have an engrossing fucking adventure game.

Thank you, please come again.

Last edited:

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
You know full well that a lot of the Switch install base had or even still have Wii Us.
HA HAHA. lol nope, going by WiiU ports, likely many many Switch user did not have a WiiU in 1st place

Yeah, that is good and all but it might have something to do with other systems actually having multiple games to show and that people want to experience.
The sheer determination of Nintendo fans to not be able to address the realities and issues of their own system and the company behind it is almost cult like.
yeah sure nintendo could have also shown Hype Bait titles that wont be out for years to come but they choose to focus on close to release titles, but I guess if a game is not show at E3 it does not exist and all the Staffs in the studios are playing Dominoes

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Isnt suprising tbh , nintendo is slacking af for the past few years (except 2017) .

And this nintendo e3 it felt like it didnt happen compared to e3 of its competitors.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Could some kind soul just hook me up with a list of what the rest of the year looks like for Nintendo by month? Exclusive wise.
June: Mario Tennis Aces
July: Captain Toad, Octopath Traveler
August: MonHun: GU
September: Xenoblade 2 Golden Country
October: Super Mario Party
November: Pokemon LG
December: Smash Bros Ultimate

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
there are some non exclusive and title without soldi date (but release window tho

Somewhere 2018:
Killer Queen Black
Dragonball FighterZ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June: 12 Fornite
June: 12 Hollow Knight
June: 13: Splatoon 2 Octo (DLC)
June: 21 Minecraft
JUne: 22: Mario Tennis Aces
June: 26: Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventures (DLC)
June: 29: Crash Bandicoot // Wolfestein II
Summer:

Dark Souls Remastered
July: 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad

August: 7: Overcooked! 2
August: 28: MH:GU

September: 7: SNK Heroines
September: 14: Xenoblade 2 DLC
September: 18: Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
September: 28: Fifa 19
Fall:
Arena of Valor
Pixark
Ark
Wasteland 2 Directors Cut
The World Ends With You
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Warrior Orochi 4
October: Hero Aca: One's Justice
October: 2: Megaman 11
October: 5: Super Mario Party
October: 16: Starlink
October: 23: Just Dance 2019

November: 16: Pokemon LG!

December: 7: Smash Bros Ultimate

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From an Era perspective, out of the 6 original games, none of them are in-depth single player experiences.
From a sales perspective, there's two 20m+ sellers in Pokemon and Smash Bros, five 3m unit sellers in Super Mario Party, Labo Variety Kit, Kirby, Mario Tennis, and Tropical Freeze.

But it feels like it should be more and the lack of any indication of 2019 is just weird. Like, they will eventually port 3D World and NSMBU to Switch so how could they feel the Switch will have a bigger drought in some month next year than August or September this year?
You touch on something that I think people keep overlooking. That not all genres of games appeal to everyone. We constantly see talk against multiplayer games and the desire for AAA single player stuff. Add in the reception to Let's Go and plenty of people could find the rest of 2018's offerings lacking. With other platforms you often have multiple choices across multiple genres when it comes to big single player games thanks to third parties.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The line to play Pokemon at E3 is 4 hours long.

Yeah, Nintendo is doomed.
Oh so now Pokemon Switch is a good thing, and is something to be held up.
I thought it was only a week or so ago that most Switch owners and Pokemon fans themselves were crying to the four winds at how Nintendo doomed Pokemon no matter how much some of us said it was good...
So weird how things work when it is convenient.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Oh so now Pokemon Switch is a good thing, and is something to be held up.
I thought it was only a week or so ago that most Switch owners and Pokemon fans themselves were crying to the four winds at how Nintendo doomed Pokemon no matter how much some of us said it was good...
So weird how things work when it is convenient.

Its a super casual Pokemon game....its going to sell.

Lots of anti-Nintendo fans this week.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
For reference: their stocks haven't been this low since September 2017; though in September they hadn't been that high since September 2008.

I do believe that Switch-era stocks are going to be more stable than Wii-era stocks, which depended largely on the Wii Sport crowd hype.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of the games showcased at Microsoft and Sony's conferences are coming out next year, lol. Don't see how the competition is all that different for 2018. Nintendo is the holidays have both Pokemon and Smash which are both going to sell systems.

As soon as they announce a price drop and online features via a Direct the stocks will be up again.

They showed less than 10 games man. At the biggest GAME show on Earth. This regardless of how Nintendo Spins it, is Sad as HELL for the Switch. Nintendo has to constantly bring the good for the switch to be relevant to the cost of the XBOX and PS4 dropping and massive amounts of quality games releasing for it. How do you showcase Metroid last year and decide this year to not even mention it?

switchitter

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
It's the most relevant part. Look at every large studio that employs thousands and look at how many games release from them in a year. The fact of the matter is the games you want need hundreads is staff, and thousands of hours in development. You can see them try but there's very little they can do in that regard. Make smaller games like 3D World and Sushi Striker and people bitch it's not ambitious enough. Make large ambitious games like Prime 4 and people bitch that it's not finished yet. Nintendo alone outputs a lot as is but it's simply unrealistic to expect a Zelda or Mario caliber game every couple of months.
nobody is asking for that. we asking for 3-4 games like that every two years.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they literally aren't. You can have engaging designs with big engrossing adventures without weaponizing shit like a graphics race, celebrity vo, cinematics, and other shit to drive up the price of making games, while keeping the msrp the same, so other studios who can't afford to swallow those costs for years go under.

No, I am not going to buy a console for hundreds of retro puzzlers and sidescrollers

Well, I tried.
You clearly have zero concept about gaming production costs if you think "celebrity voiceovers" would have been the cost breaker for making BOTW, or that the library of the Switch is "retro puzzlers and sidescrollers".
lmfao.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Su9WLiM.png

Are you really comparing the paradigm shift that was Breath of the Wild to this?

lol, like I'm sure it'll be great like the smash games always are and sell gangbusters but it's not even a remotely similar situation. Spend all day on BotW was no problem.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I tried.
You clearly have zero concept about gaming production costs if you think "celebrity voiceovers" would have been the cost breaker for making BOTW, or that the library of the Switch is "retro puzzlers and sidescrollers".
lmfao.

Translation:
Hurr hurr hurr.

I'm going to ignore everything I got smoked on and try attacking in this direction now, cause I think I have a chance by cherry picking and then putting words in his mouth.

**** inconvenient information******..... It's not just the cost of the celebrity vo artist, it's the cost of renting a sound studio in the area they working out of (Hollywood) cause they ain't leaving the area to go record shit for your game.

It wouldn't be a cost breaker for Nintendo, because Nintendo has the pockets to survive this kind of shit, for a cinsiderable amount of time, and more.importantly the experience and the platform, to see it coming, and side step it, hence the ds/Wii direction... (oh yeah that point you thought was your point, because you didn't really grasp what you were arguing about? yeah no guy, its all in this, almost like its a real thing or something that already exists outside of this messageboard) UNFORTUNATELY they are historically bad at meeting content throughput demands ever since y-man pissed off and burned all the third parties ie from n64 on.... And which they have historically and consistantly apologized for (please understand) yet never managed to fix.

Also *swat*

https://www.trueachievements.com/n2571/ea-pricefixing-antitrust-lawsuit-certified

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018
20 million is in the cards if Let's Go actually connects with the Go audience enough to drive Switch sales. If it doesn't then they'll probably miss the mark.

But let's not act like selling 17 or 18 or even 16 instead of 20 would be the death knell for Nintendo. It'd be disappointing. Their stock price would take a hit, third parties who haven't already started on games might not start, etc. But in a historical context, 18 million units this FY would put the Switch at 36 million by the end of March 2019, more than the N64 in its entire run.

Let's even say that the Switch sells less every year of it's 6-year life cycle (a highly unlikely proposition based on what we know about the life cycles of most successful consoles). 18 -> 16 -> 12 -> 10 -> 8 -> 6. That would put it at 70 million lifetime sales, good enough to surpass the NES for second on Nintendo's home console list, although last among handhelds (but it's still impressive given how much more expensive the Switch is compared to past handhelds).

Whether 20 million happens this year or not, the Switch is basically destined to be one of Nintendo's most successful platforms ever. And while 2018 may not have a ton of "megatons," we know all those games are coming down the pipeline. Let's just take it as it comes and appreciate what we have instead of becoming enthralled with the future.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You touch on something that I think people keep overlooking. That not all genres of games appeal to everyone. We constantly see talk against multiplayer games and the desire for AAA single player stuff. Add in the reception to Let's Go and plenty of people could find the rest of 2018's offerings lacking. With other platforms you often have multiple choices across multiple genres when it comes to big single player games thanks to third parties.

Are you seriously saying that when in last year it was the same? People even complained that it was too multiplayer focused. In the lineup of a year, almost all months have one big title with sometimes two or more titles and it's true here and in the past as well, except on Wii U.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yea, I agree with all of this. Well said. In 2018, other than Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces, there really isn't much in terms of first party support if you owned a Wii U. There are dozens of us!!!!.gif

Which is how many people?

And saying Smash feels like a port is like saying Spatoon 2 was just Spatoon 1.5.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
The level of being unprofitable?
Best post

Anyway, this thread panned out about the same way as last year. People weren't confident on the Switch's performance and when stock dropped some were reaching panickmode as well. And that was with a great Breath of the Wild, a port of MK 8 and Odyssey. And even less third party support compared to 2018.

As usual the stock market is extremely volatile and honestly in a few weeks the stocks will have increased for a bit because of reasons.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

This is factually untrue. Half the conference was on Smash with the first half was about different games. Ironically, the first half was about the same length as the Direct last year that was about 25 minutes.

Also, calling Smash a port with all the changes they made to the engine is like how everyone kept calling Spatoon 2 just a 1.5.

GoreMagala

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The main concerns listed are reasonable, but I don't see how the direct itself can be seen as a reason for this happening because we are getting tons of games for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.