• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
And as was pointed out by Zhuge, the 2DS/2DSXL was reponsible for 33% of the overall sales of the 3DS era. This Lite version has the same function: make the point of entry as low as possible, be it for children or as a second unit in the same household.

This is exactly what it's going to be at my house. It's the kids own Switch that doesn't hog away the TV.

They have several games they already like to play on the system and playing them handheld is a good deal.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't look at this as a successor to the Switch.

This is a successor to the 3DS...that can play Switch games.

This is the truth.

It's a $199 Nintendo handheld that can play (virtually) all the games from their current-generation HD system.

Nobody is going to cry because the most expensive system is too much better, they're going to buy this in droves because it's a Switch for $199. Or a 3DS successor that plays Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells the regular Switch, in time.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
has there ever been a traditional handheld device with rumble? i know GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP/Vita don't have it but iirc there was some accessory for DS lite that you plugged into the GBA slot that added rumble?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
has there ever been a traditional handheld device with rumble? i know GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP/Vita don't have it but iirc there was some accessory for DS lite that you plugged into the GBA slot that added rumble?
I can't think of any.

There were also some GBC/GBA games that included rumble in the cartridge though (sometimes requiring additional batteries in the cartridge).

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait after it's been revealed that Lite sold extremely well that for those who are saying it's a confusing product (despite Google existing and Nintendo's concise marketing) to be congratulating Nintendo saying "they knew" or "it was obvious" or start randomly compare it to the PS4 slim sales to showcase how it's not a success 🙄

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the DS Lite comparisons are apt. it offers a significantly limited experience of what the regular Switch offers. Similar to the 2DS but few people really cared about 3D anyways. I bet lots of people care about TV connectivity and tabletop mode.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This is really sticky looking hardware. It's tough to justify the cost but I can't lie, even with a dockable Switch it's tempting.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the DS Lite comparisons are apt. it offers a significantly limited experience of what the regular Switch offers. Similar to the 2DS but few people really cared about 3D anyways. I bet lots of people care about TV connectivity and tabletop mode.

And if they care they can still buy the OG Switch. This product is aimed at parents that will be pestered for "the pokémon machine" this xmas and want to get it on the cheap instead of spending almost $400 on an OG system + game + some accesories. or that prefer to buy two cheap systems instead of a single more expensive one to avoid fighting between siblings.

Jan 10, 2018

99 % of the comparisons are about 2DS because of how much of inferior horrible pieces of shit 2DS and Switch Lite are for plenty of well informed Era members.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you like the Switch primarily as a handheld device it makes sense, since the Switch Lite weights less. That can make a huge difference. It's the reason why I sold my New 3DS XL for a New 2DS XL, which is super light and much more convenient to use in comparison.

Still very concerned about the screen size of the Switch Lite, or actually: the fact that game text appears even smaller on it.

Developers should finally start using handheld mode as the base when designing UIs and text fonts.
This is a really good point that I didn't think about.

And yeah the text size might be a problem. Remember the early days of HD TVs when text in Xbox 360 games on SD TVs was so weird and unreadable?

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Why would they split their output again?
Idk, they've been doing it since the Gameboy and it worked for them. I see combining both into one was a good move, but to me it feels like the DS always had a lot more games coming in short periods of time. I still use my 3DS more often than my Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As I understand it, there's no way to share your game library across two switches, so the use case scenario of having this as a handheld only "travel" addition to our household docked Switch is out of the question.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It is called Switch because it lets you Switch between docked and handheld modes.

It was originally conceived as that concept. Now it's just a platform name. When you talk about a Switch everyone knows you are talking about the latest platform by Nintendo. When you go to the store you see "Switch" games.

It's not more complex than that.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
As I understand it, there's no way to share your game library across two switches, so the use case scenario of having this as a handheld only "travel" addition to our household docked Switch is out of the question.

Yes there is? Only limitation is that the secondary consoles need an internet connection to check the DRM and see if the main console is not playing that game too.

Jun 10, 2018
Fellow never docker here - Switch is massive, heavy, has terrible battery life, and no d-pad. This models addresses all of those issues. Also sub-native games will look better on the new screen with better PPI ratio. And you tell me it's 100 USD cheaper? It's a no brainer.
Eh, I don't really feel the weight of the system when playing, though I agree the lack of an actual D-pad on the base Switch sucks. And while I would never saythe current Switch batteryis good, I feel that being the significant performance leap compared to the 3DS and the benefit of playing Nintendo's typical home console software more than justify the decreased battery life.

Like I said, base Switch certainly has problems which the Switch Lite is looking to address. I'm more combatting this notion largely put forth by home console centric players who didn't play portably in any lengthy capacity prior to the Switch that base Switch couldn't satiate a handheld gamer's preferred playstyle put of the box, because it absolutely can.
I don't look at this as a successor to the Switch.

This is a successor to the 3DS...that can play Switch games.
Base Switch is already a successor to the 3DS. Switch Lite is merely a more cost conscious iteration looking to increase Switch units per household by more than 1.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This is incorrect as far I know.

You can have your accounts across more than one unit. With one account designated as your primary, while the secondary unit has to maintain online connection to access it.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do you think the Switch Lite will never be discounted?

Of course it will be, but why buy the Lite in 2 months if you can get the "full" Switch for just a few € more right now (or at least when a good deal pops up)?

Where in Europe do we have such good prices? Have not seen the Switch below 330€

Germany. Both prices were limited time deals though. The normal price is 300€ right now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Idk, they've been doing it since the Gameboy and it worked for them. I see combining both into one was a good move, but to me it feels like the DS always had a lot more games coming in short periods of time. I still use my 3DS more often than my Switch.
Think of it this way, the mainline Pokémon games wouldn't be on Switch if a new dedicated handheld separate from the Switch family was coming.

Jan 10, 2018

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
But does it switch. Lol what kind of buffoonery troll attempt is that.

Some people clearly have no clue about branding and marketing an ecosystem.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Think of it this way, the mainline Pokémon games wouldn't be on Switch if a new dedicated handheld separate from the Switch family was coming.
I wouldn't mind haha. Never expected that the franchise would Switch (pun intended). I expected Pokémon RPGS and maybe other titles on Switch, but expected the 'mainline' games to keep going forward on the 3DS, successort, which turns out to be Switch (Lite).

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha it's a bit funny it's still called a 'Switch'... as it doesn't switch anymore

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Great idea to get those who were not wanting to commit to a full-fat Switch, or those just wanting handheld only. Good way to get the 3DS market to consider investing in the Switch. No HD rumble, nor a dock though. Kind of was expecing a slightly lower price than $199/£199, but it's a decent price none the less.

Only problem i see is if the now permanent attached Joycon breaks, that's the whole machine needed to go for repair over just sending a Joycon off.
I keep seeing this sentiment but the Switch Lite doesn't have anything close to Joycon. Nintendo are aware of the issues the Joycon had and more than likely took that into account when designing the new hardware.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they addressed the drifting issues as this time replacing the joysticks implies opening the whole console and I'm pretty sure they'll be a lot harder to reach since they're next to the screen. While standard joycons are a walk in the park to replace.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
"Terribly battery life" man the trolls are really out in full force today lol.

Yes, an HD handheld device that plays console games for 3-6 hours on a charge (probably closer to 4.5 hours on average) that is easily charged by a small battery pack for another 3+ hours is terrible. I guess most every handheld device is terrible then.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let me get this straight, you want to play Game Boy with us even though you're a girl?

get out of my treehouse

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
And table top mode. People keep forgetting that is a legitimate mode that has been consistent in Nintendo's Switch marketing. Switch Lite will still be able to "Switch" between handheld and table top.
My only argument against this is that the Switch Lite lacks a kickstand. Can't really switch to tabletop without either propping the system against something or getting a third-party case with a kickstand or something.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
How many games used rumble as a mechanic? I can only recall Odyssey off the top of my head with its hidden moons

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense as a pure baseline New 2DS replacement, with the added bonus of an existing games library.

Whether the lack of TV out was driven by hardware/cost issues, or was strategic, it's the right business decision. If this had TV out it would cannibalise standard Switch sales, leaving no USP for that device.

A likely £200 or close in the UK seems expensive for an entry device but that's because of the worsening economy/exchange rate. This is how Nintendo's post 2000 handhelds have launched to the market (jeez that was torture towards the end... don't shoot me if I've missed any!) :

2001 GBA $100 / £80
2003 GBA SP $100 / £90
2005 GB Micro $100 / £70
2005 DS $150 / £130
2006 DS lite $130 / £100
2009 DSi $170 / £150
2010 DSi XL $190 / £160
2011 3DS $250 / £230
2012 3DS XL $200 / £180
2013 2DS $130 / £110
2015 New 3DS $180 / £150
2015 New 3DS XL $200 / £170
2017 2DS XL $150 / £130
2017 Switch $300 / £280
2019 Switch lite $200 / ?

Jun 2, 2019
My only argument against this is that the Switch Lite lacks a kickstand. Can't really switch to tabletop without either propping the system against something or getting a third-party case with a kickstand or something.

41w92H4tEkL._SX342_.jpg

61oDXxMwLiL._AC_.jpg