• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
41w92H4tEkL._SX342_.jpg

61oDXxMwLiL._AC_.jpg
Sorry, specifically saying third-party was poor on my part. Still though, on its own, the Switch Lite isn't much of a Switch. :P

Jun 2, 2019
Sorry, specifically saying third-party was poor on my part. Still though, on its own, the Switch Lite isn't much of a Switch. :P

It plays Switch games, has the Switch form factor, it's a Switch

Really the comcept of a brand name seems foreign for a lot of you over here. As it does seem to be the fact that more languages exists aside of english.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys know there isn't any cocaine in Coca Cola? I'm not even sure if it contains any kola nuts either.

Jan 20, 2019
2001 GBA $100 / £80
2003 GBA SP $100 / £90
[...]
2017 Switch $300 / £280
2019 Switch lite $200 / ?

Whoa, did I really pay $100 for a Gameboy back in the day? By comparison, the $200 for the Switch Lite seems like a pretty good value.

Also, I understand your point about the Lite making the regular version somewhat redundant if it had docking/video out. In that sense, having two separate SKUs more easily allows Nintendo to achieve their goal of Total Household Saturation (more than one Switch per house/family).

kreven

Oct 25, 2017
NB, Canada

There's not much new information there. They really just explain the current situation of owning more than one Switch device.

You can download your purchase software on multiple Switch device, as long as you sign in with you account on the different devices. you can only play your digital purchases on one Switch at a time, and only the primary device can play the games offline. You will need to be online to play the same games on secondary devices.

As for game saves, you can either transfer your saves to the new device, or use Nintendo Switch Online cloud saves to sync the saves between different devices.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's not much new information there. They really just explain the current situation of owning more than one Switch device.

You can download your purchase software on multiple Switch device, as long as you sign in with you account on the different devices. you can only play your digital purchases on one Switch at a time, and only the primary device can play the games offline. You will need to be online to play the same games on secondary devices.

As for game saves, you can either transfer your saves to the new device, or use Nintendo Switch Online cloud saves to sync the saves between different devices.

Ah, yeah.

I thought so. Nothing changes then.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yeah.

I thought so. Nothing changes then.

Still, it would be nice if they streamlined or maybe even automatised a bit the save transfers between consoles if you don't have Cloud Saves (or for the games that don't support it if you do), or allowed the secondary consoles some "offline" time for downloaded titles so you can set up a Lite as secondary, since only the primary system allows all players logged in the console to play everybody else's games.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Still, it would be nice if they streamlined or maybe even automatised a bit the save transfers between consoles if you don't have Cloud Saves (or for the games that don't support it if you do), or allowed the secondary consoles some "offline" time for downloaded titles so you can set up a Lite as secondary, since only the primary system allows all players logged in the console to play everybody else's games.
You don't have to be online all the time. Only every time you start a game and afterwards every three or four hours or so. The startup check is annoying, but it's easy enough to set up a hotspot on most smartphones, so frankly I don't think having your Lite be the secondary console is that big of a deal.

Jun 2, 2019
You don't have to be online all the time. Only every time you start a game and afterwards every three or four hours or so. The startup check is annoying, but it's easy enough to set up a hotspot on most smartphones, so frankly I don't think having your Lite be the secondary console is that big of a deal.

Wouldn't be better to have the Lite as your primary console. The OG Switch would still sit at home always connected to the internet.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, the problem with a Secondary Switch is that the Home Switch can be used for everyone to play your games if you are the primary, but the Lite would only be for you...if you get online every 3 hours or every game change.

Or you could have the Switch Lite be your Primary, but everyone at home will have to rely on your profile or someone else needs to own the games digitally.

Like call me crazy, but I'd pay an extra £5-10 a year to be able to have two Primary Switches.

This is true, bit still annoying.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be better to have the Lite as your primary console. The OG Switch would still sit at home always connected to the internet.
Yes and no. Depends on whether other users use your Switch and digital games too. As the poster I quoted said: other users can only play your games too when it's registered as the games owners's primary console. So, if you share a Switch in the living room, having your account be secondary on it would actually be quite a pain.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

If there are other players logged at your OG Switch with their own profile (family members, roommates...) then they wouldn't be able to access your downloadable games if your account is set as secondary, while on the other hand any user has access to everybody else's games as long as the owners are logged as primary.

Jun 2, 2019
If there are other players logged at your OG Switch with their own profile (family members, roommates...) then they wouldn't be able to access your downloadable games if your account is set as secondary, while on the other hand any user has access to everybody else's games as long as the owners are logged as primary.

Oooooookaaaayyy...

That's a fucking mess

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
🤦🏾‍♂️Nintendo had one job...even more reason to wait for the"Pro" and hope the features are there...
lol, the Pro version, if it ever exists and is not just the enhanced version releasing this year, won't have Bluetooth support for headphones. That's just how Nintendo works.

Oooooookaaaayyy...

That's a fucking mess
It's not. That's how it works on every console. Basic limitations to prevent you from sharing games with dozens of people for free.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol, the Pro version, if it ever exists and is not just the enhanced version releasing this year, won't have Bluetooth support for headphones. That's just how Nintendo works.

It's not. That's how it works on every console. Basic limitations to prevent you from sharing games with dozens of people for free.
Spread the word, it worked for region free

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will get a switch if the actual switch is sub 200. I really don't think this is good deal at all. But iam happy for peeps who think otherwise.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
And table top mode. People keep forgetting that is a legitimate mode that has been consistent in Nintendo's Switch marketing. Switch Lite will still be able to "Switch" between handheld and table top.
Good point.
Nintendo Switch* Lite

*can only switch with additional controller and stand, both sold seperately.
Which makes sense, though you can just prompt the system without buying anything. Prior to this announcement, I wondered how they were going to release a SKU like this without it negatively affecting the sales of the extra controllers. Heh.

I posted this in the other Switch thread, but it will be interesting to see if the Switch Lite already has more RAM for games than the original and supports an enchanted boost mode. Do we know any detailed specs of the lite besides the battery?

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the other manufacturer's don't have Nintendo's unique set of hardware though, so it's understandable people are asking for solutions the others don't need. There's no way Nintendo will ever let you register two primary devices though - that would basically be game sharing with zero strings attached - or remove the online check from secondary devices. Maybe it would be possible to check all of your game licenses on start up and not just the one of the game you are currently playing, though, so that you only have to be online once every 3-4 hours and not every time you start a game. The current offline grace period is definitely quite generous already.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, the other manufacturer's don't have Nintendo's unique set of hardware though, so it's understandable people are asking for solutions the others don't need. There's no way Nintendo will ever let you register two primary devices though - that would basically be game sharing with zero strings attached - or remove the online check from secondary devices. Maybe it would be possible to check all of your game licenses on start up and not just the one of the game you are currently playing, though, so that you only have to be online once every 3-4 hours and not every time you start a game. The current offline grace period is definitely quite generous already.

Yep, as I said maybe it just needs a small revamp to be more "friendly" to secondary accounts on Lite models, which is what makes the most sense.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Not to mention, if you're only required to do a startup check and then can play offline without an issue for 3-4 hours, the Lite might be low on battery by the time you need to connect to the internet again anyway. I don't think it's that big of an issue, personally.

Edit: Ah, wait, it doesn't check on startup, but once you boot a game, and only for that game? That is more of a pain, it would be much better if the system checked every game at once.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
As I understand it, there's no way to share your game library across two switches, so the use case scenario of having this as a handheld only "travel" addition to our household docked Switch is out of the question.
Yes it is possible and it is easily done - I share all my games with my daughter's Switch (and she can play them at the same time I do). And had we wanted to (we don't of course), we'd share save files (so if it's just for personal use you just use the same save files).
You can have your accounts across more than one unit. With one account designated as your primary, while the secondary unit has to maintain online connection to access it.
Secondary unit doesn't have to maintain online connection, it has to have a connection only when logging into the game.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
3ds has no games left to release.

Nintendo announced it's successor today for the same price of a n3dsXL (without the charger) and on launch day it will have access to the already incredible Library of Switch games.

Yes . . . a dedicated handheld that wont have dumbed down handheld graphics but console quality graphics and over 2000 games to choose from on day 1.

I mean why is this so difficult to understand for some?

If you have no interest in a handheld only device just keep it moving, this item is not for you. If you want access to the Switch library at its cheapest entry point or have always been a Nintendo handheld only gamer . . . Then this definitely is a contender.

It all feels like a combo of salty Nintendo Switch Pro wanters, fanboys and people who despise handhelds all in one that are mainly trying to shit on the device. Give parents and kids more credit in 2019 . . . They know what the hell this is.
Perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably the smaller battery also has the benefit of faster charging?
If it's 20% smaller, should be 20% faster?
So instead of 210 minutes it's 168, saving 40 minutes...I think

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
🤦🏾‍♂️Nintendo had one job...even more reason to wait for the"Pro" and hope the features are there...

It's pretty unreal, especially for a handheld device. TBF, I think it's wack that PS4 and Xbone don't have standard bluetooth audio support also. It was fine on PS3 and Vita, I'm not sure what changed.