• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

D A R K

Banned
Jun 5, 2021
1080P output, Lan port and 64GB
Wow, Nintendo brings 2012 features to us in 2021
I don't know how the industry would be like without their leading

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is just weird, man. They take the "switch" out of the Switch Lite and make a higher end handheld that will just expose further how old the hardware is getting.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but... What's the point of the vetting processes and whatnot if the supposed insiders have no repercussions over spreading wrong information and misleading users? It's an honest and very fair question.

You can't possibly be serious ? Repercussions ?

ResetEra is a forum where people discuss games, it's a hobby my friend.

If you are genuinely struggling this much with it and it's affecting your vision and blurring it i believe you have bigger problems than insiders not getting repercussions.

There has never been and there will never be a single source of leaks that will be 100% correct. In part because things sometimes don't pan out, but more often than not information comes from sources that have gotten their information from other sources themselves. Add to that the fact that sometimes it can be done in different languages and the information could be slightly different when it comes out.

No insider will reveal where they are getting their information from or else they would be doing potential damage to their sources.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is just Switch with better cosmetic. I don't see a reason for a current Switch owner like me to run out to get one.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
well if this is the new model then I guess I'm finally buying a Switch lol. don't know if I can wait any longer at this point, so many games that I wanna play

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i mean, the reasoning behind this model is likely:

- they got a good deal on these OLED screens, maybe even cheaper than the ones in regular switches
- allows them to permanently replace the regular switch with a model that costs the consumer more and justify the price increase with OLED + some smaller upgrades that don't cost them much (ethernet, better speakers, more storage)

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
So here's my conundrum, I just bought a new Switch from a coworker (he modded it with a cooler shell) and I haven't listed my old one on eBay yet.

Would it be in my best interest to list this on eBay sooner than the release of the OLED? Or wait until around the release date of the OLED?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear that this OLED screen is going to come with the "pro" model and it's not financially sensible/viable to produce two different screens, so they've announced this as a "new Switch" for a sales bump alongside the old when in fact it's just going to become the base Switch in time. There's no way they're still going to manufacture the base Switch alongside this one.

This is Nintendo we are talking about. There is a huge chance they do just that.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
That's disappointing, however the battery on my current model is on its last legs. I might just get the new dock for that native ethernet port and replace the battery.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
No, this is absolutely false.

While there is a discussion to be had about insiders on this forum, saying "this wouldn't have happened if ResetEra didn't give the okay to insiders" is simply not true. Bloomberg reported on this. Bloomberg. We then had respected journalists in the industry like Jason Schreier and Imran Khan putting out messages that hinted at games looking "too good" for the current Switch.

This goes beyond someone like NateDrake on Era. These "4K Switch Pro" rumors were being reported by mainstream outlets and discussed on gaming podcasts. This would still be happening even if Era banned forum insiders completely.
I agree. If it was only natedrake and the likes that would have been one thing, but when professional journalists and respected outlets joins the switch pro bandwagon it's inevitable that people believe it.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017

- they got a good deal on these OLED screens, maybe even cheaper than the ones in regular switches
- allows them to permanently replace the regular switch with a model that costs the consumer more and justify the price increase with OLED + some smaller upgrades that don't cost them much (ethernet, better speakers, more storage)

this sounds about right lol...

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Well, there it is, the Switch OLED, wasn't that a prediction from Nate and MVG made in their Podcast when they where talking about the whole Switch Rumors? They said they think a OLED Modell will be Released first.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still thinking this is the model that will replace the OG one after a couple years. And then the Switch Pro or Switch 2 will be announced at that time.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much what I expected. A little bit of a bump up of the handheld presentation, but still a Switch. There was never going to be a major spec bump (other than maybe supporting a 4k upconvert type of thing). This generation is too successful to fragment with a major jump in specs, and cutting current users off from having a good experience with certain software. (new 3DS was sort of a dud in the grand scheme of things)

Stay tuned in 2-3 years for Switch 2 (or whatever form Next Gen will take for Nintendo, either happening with, or shortly after Breath of the Wild 2 launch)

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to upgrade to this. I have a launch switch that is getting long in the tooth in terms of battery life, fan noise, Ect. An oled screen is nice and the battery life will be nice to have. Ill probably trade in my current switch for this new model if I can find it.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this OLED version basically everything that was rumoured minus the DSL? I get it was what most of us were excited about but information about this thing was obviously out there and not made up.

BarryBurton

Jul 1, 2020

Exactly this. This isn't an upgrade. It's a streamlining in the manufacturing process disguised as one. The "pro" is still coming, just not now.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how you can be an insider for Nintendo hardware. Did Devs get hardware to develop for? That's what Jason seemed to be indicating. Unless you are in Nintendo's inner-circle or there are legitimate reports down the line of devs supporting a higher spec, it seems like most people were guessing and making reasonable predictions disguised as having knowledge.

When the credible reporters are wrong, a higher percentage of the "insider" economy making bigger claims to wring out more juice from the story real reporters would have no way to confirm will turn up looking really bad if the researched news stories turns out wrong.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
People should be mad at Nintendo, not "insiders."

I don't understand what Nintendo sees in its future. It was already a struggle for games to work properly on the Switch. Isn't that going to get harder and harder.

In two years, Nintendo will play indies and Nintendo games.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Its the consoles niche though. I convinced several people at my work to get a switch after seeing me on one and how more powerful than their phone games it is. 2 of them didn't even realise it could dock until after they bought it.

This announcement sucks and sucks hard but is not out of expectations.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can't possibly be serious ? Repercussions ?

ResetEra is a forum where people discuss games, it's a hobby my friend.

If you are genuinely struggling this much with it and it's affecting your vision and blurring it i believe you have bigger problems than insiders not getting repercussions.

There has never been and there will never be a single source of leaks that will be 100% correct. In part because things sometimes don't pan out, but more often than not information comes from sources that have gotten their information from other sources themselves. Add to that the fact that sometimes it can be done in different languages and the information could be slightly different when it comes out.

No insider will reveal where they are getting their information from or else they would be doing potential damage to their sources.
Yep.
Insiders have always been like this in sports, in games, everything.

You always take insiders, even reliable ones, with a grain of salt because even though the good ones DO have really good sources, sometimes the info they get is wrong, sometimes plans change, and sometimes, companies put out their own misinformation to throw insiders off (do not think that it happened here).

People calling for insiders heads or for them to be banned the moment they say something untruthful is hilariously weird. If people really hate insiders that much, then just ignore the threads or ignore them it's a really simple concept.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I only have a Lite at this point, but I don't want to pick this up since I want better hardware if I'm gonna play on TV again. That, combined with not knowing when the next...generation (?) of Switch hardware will come makes me feel like I should hold off.

Now, if that next gen hardware is legit next gen and isn't BC...whew. That'll just suck.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but... What's the point of the vetting processes and whatnot if the supposed insiders have no repercussions over spreading wrong information and misleading users? It's an honest and very fair question.
Since when did anyone mislead users? All infos we had about this switch from era insiders were RUMORS. No leaks. They always said take it with a grain of salt. We got the supposedly misleading infos from Bloomberg Reports (in addition of some other outlets) which basically said a pro annoucement with 4k + dlss is immidient. What can era do about that if a more credible source comes along and insiders here try to make sense with their own information? Is it right to call out Insiders afterwards? I think no.
If you can't handle speculation or informed guesses you should just ignore these users.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
What a prank honestly, zero hardware increases all for faster downloads and a brighter screen? Nintendo just keeps on winning.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty clear that this OLED screen is going to come with the "pro" model and it's not financially sensible/viable to produce two different screens, so they've announced this as a "new Switch" for a sales bump alongside the old when in fact it's just going to become the base Switch in time. There's no way they're still going to manufacture the base Switch alongside this one.
They kept making the comparatively ancient DS lite alongside the DSi for, like, years. And people kept on buying it.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the "Pro" is going to just straight up be marketed as a successor at this point.

BarryBurton

Jul 1, 2020
They kept making the comparatively ancient DS lite alongside the DSi for, like, years. And people kept on buying it.

The DSi was a proper upgrade though. This is clearly intended to replace the current Switch.

I mean, it doesn't even have a name. OLED Model in brackets isn't a standalone console. They're obviously keeping quiet about it because they want to sell their base model stock, but it's clearly going to transition into the base Switch once they've sold the current model out.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Absolutely beaten twice.