Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
The Genesis controllers are SO GOOD. They all are. I am astounded at how perfect all of the old controllers are for NSO. They nailed every little detail.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
I really want to purchase a N64 controller but looks like I'll be waiting for a restock come 2022. Really wish they did colored ones, I'd love to get a green one for myself, and a blue for my brother. It was the colors we had as a kid.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Stupid question.
I have 3 switch players in the family, each with their own individual basic membership (the $20 one)

Can we combine these three into a family plan so we can save some scratch on the N64/genesis stuff or is it too late?

And in that case, how does that work if we were to buy the N64/Genesis controllers down the road? Does the family plan count as one account, or do each member have their own chance to purchase them? Thanks in advance
If you have at least two people in your place that has Switch online, you should have the family plan. I got 6 of my friends to join me to cut the price down. If you are on a family plan, it doesn't change anything for the user but that they have a family and the parent (primary holder) can add parental controls to young ones if they need it. But otherwise it is the exact same experience but for cheaper.

The only question in the air is account membership overlap. Basically, if you join a family plan, I don't think your current plan extends anything (ie: have 5 months left, they are gone), it just overlaps and plays at the same time. The new renewal is from the parent of the family plan and everyone else doesn't see a thing. So once a year I tell the kiddos to pony up money.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just thinking, will we get GameCube, like how they introduced SNES titles to NSO? I wonder if they'll give away certain DLC packs or games periodically with this expansion?
I think they'll do Game Boy/GBA before even thinking about GameCube, and I suspect they'd look into adding other third-party systems before GameCube as well. GameCube games are still sufficiently modern in terms of design and content that I don't think Nintendo will want to give a chunk of them away as a portion of a tier of a subscription service.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll do Game Boy/GBA before even thinking about GameCube, and I suspect they'd look into adding other third-party systems before GameCube as well. GameCube games are still sufficiently modern in terms of design and content that I don't think Nintendo will want to give a chunk of them away as a portion of a tier of a subscription service.

Well probaly not for $4/month. If people are willing to pay $7/month for an even higher tier though ...

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can see them putting future consoles on the Expac while putting the previous ones on the base sub. So next year we could have GB(A?) and PC Engine on EX while N64 and MD go to base.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see them putting future consoles on the Expac while putting the previous ones on the base sub. So next year we could have GB(A?) and PC Engine on EX while N64 and MD go to base.

I think classic Game Boy to base sub and GBA to Expansion is probably more likely.

Expansion Pak should be N64/Genesis-MD/GBA.

Base gets regular Game Boy.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Well probaly not for $4/month. If people are willing to pay $7/month for an even higher tier though ...
Maybe. That's certainly one way Nintendo could go. I think they'll probably not want the number of subscription tiers to grow too much though. One is simple and easy. Two starts making it challenging to balance the value of the tiers so that most subscribers are relatively happy with their subscription level (and we've seen the beginnings of that challenge with the reactions to the Expansion Pack). Three or more probably up-ends that entire balancing act.

I think Nintendo are probably just as likely to consolidate in future down to one tier (with Expansion Pack-like pricing) than to add more, but we shall see - I'd also expect that they haven't made any medium-to-long-term decisions yet.

That'd make the base tier look pretty great (so presumably would also come with a price increase) but it'd make the Expansion Pack look very poor for anyone who signed up for N64 and Mega Drive games. I really doubt they'll give people the choice of being able to keep all their current stuff at a significantly lower price.

Base might get gameboy if it doesn't have Pokemon. If it includes mainline Pokémon games, it'll 100% be in expansion pack
They could split them and have most Game Boy games on the base tier and Pokémon on the Expansion Pack. I think they'll probably stick with the simplicity of having each system's games being purely layered into a single tier, but there's no reason they couldn't start splitting up each system between tiers if they wanted to or felt they needed to.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Holy crap those Sega games are fucking amazing! Did beat Gunstar Heroes already and started Shinobi III.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Upgraded. Had the controller and went, Ok. I'll give it a year.

I haven't played Zelda and probably never since I prefer the 3DS version. But I played some Mario Tennis. Fun, fun, fun. Didn't notice any lag at all.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I don't think Nintendo wants to have a bunch of different tiers. I think they'll just do GC next gen with a universal price increase on both tiers. Probably 30/60
This wouldn't be bad, but I almost just be happy to have a service that isn't cut short after a handful of years. People won't be happy if they try and start all this up with the drip feed of old games again.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't be bad, but I almost just be happy to have a service that isn't cut short after a handful of years. People won't be happy if they try and start all this up with the drip feed of old games again.

I mean ironically the service will have to succeed and even that isn't necessarily a guarantee, even if the service has been linked together with 3DS, and WiiU loosely.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you think the way it's done for NSO is all application based?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I went back and forth with the upgrade, but ultimately decided that, until n64 emulation was fixed, I would only be feeding the problem.

Has Nintendo acknowledged the issue? Have the indicated that work was underway to improve things?

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
So for Banjo-Kazooie coming to NSO, there are 3 possible ways this can happen.

1) It will be the XBLA version.
2) Nintendo, Microsoft, and Rare will work in a joint-effort to upscale the N64 version.
3) Nintendo will try to upscale the game themselves and possibly mess up.

Thoughts?

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile

2) Nintendo, Microsoft, and Rare will work in a joint-effort to upscale the N64 version.

Thoughts?
It's going to be the N64 1.1 version emulated the same way the other games are. Zero chance of being the XBLA version.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

Thoughts?
I'm not sure why you think those are the possibilities.

It'll be an N64 ROM added to the app and it'll work in the same fashion as every other N64 game on the service.

Oct 27, 2017
If you have at least two people in your place that has Switch online, you should have the family plan. I got 6 of my friends to join me to cut the price down. If you are on a family plan, it doesn't change anything for the user but that they have a family and the parent (primary holder) can add parental controls to young ones if they need it. But otherwise it is the exact same experience but for cheaper.

The only question in the air is account membership overlap. Basically, if you join a family plan, I don't think your current plan extends anything (ie: have 5 months left, they are gone), it just overlaps and plays at the same time. The new renewal is from the parent of the family plan and everyone else doesn't see a thing. So once a year I tell the kiddos to pony up money.

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I getcha on this part. Now, remaining time be damned, how do I take those 3 individual accounts and have them under a single family plan?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Thoughts?
4) It's the N64 ROM just like all the other games lol

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Thoughts?
Why do you think it would be anything more than the N64 ROM just like every other game on the service? The NSO N64 app is just a container that launches ROM files

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
Why do you think it would be anything more than the N64 ROM just like every other game on the service? The NSO N64 app is just a container that launches ROM files
I just thought that Nintendo had stated before that the N64 games on Switch are supposed to be upscaled versions of their original releases, and the current state of N64 on NSO isn't looking too good right now. Fortunately, Doug Bowser responded to the situation by stating that he and Nintendo "are looking at ways to improve the overall performance" of the service.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I just thought that Nintendo had stated before that the N64 games on Switch are supposed to be upscaled versions of their original releases, and the current state of N64 on NSO isn't looking too good right now. Fortunately, Doug Bowser responded to the situation by stating that he and Nintendo "are looking at ways to improve the overall performance" of the service.
I mean I will always advocate for remaining hopeful, but unfortunately I don't think "improve the ... service" is going to be much more than just either tightening up the emulation oooorrrr.... Just adding more games and calling it a day :(

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
They are upscaled

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I apologize for the delay in responding, but I getcha on this part. Now, remaining time be damned, how do I take those 3 individual accounts and have them under a single family plan?
Designate one as the parent/owner/payer. Login as that account on Nintendo's website in the top right, click settings, and then Family group if I remember correctly. Then it is a matter of sending invites with their emails from there. Outside of no friendlist and it having to be done on their website, it is pretty user friendly.

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
Paper Mario will be added to the N64 library of NSO games on December 10th, 2021. However, let's hope that Nintendo won't do a one game per month type of service for these games.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario will be added to the N64 library of NSO games on December 10th, 2021. However, let's hope that Nintendo won't do a one game per month type of service for these games.
Right now one game per month seems like it might even be optimistic, because they're not on track for that.

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
Well, scrap what I just said about the one game per month part, because BANJO KAZOOIE IS COMING TO NSO NEXT MONTH!!!

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
Right now one game per month seems like it might even be optimistic, because they're not on track for that.
It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but now that we are past the halfway point of January 2022, I wanted to give an update for the state of Banjo Kazooie on NSO. Last month, Nintendo gave us release dates for Paper Mario and a few Genesis games on December 2nd and December 16th respectively, with both days being a Thursday. I suppose that Thursdays are normally the days we can expect an update for NSO, so if Nintendo and Rare are on schedule for the release of BK this month, the release date would most likely be revealed by this Thursday, January 20th. If there are no updates by then, I think it's best to expect a delay for the release.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but now that we are past the halfway point of January 2022, I wanted to give an update for the state of Banjo Kazooie on NSO. Last month, Nintendo gave us release dates for Paper Mario and a few Genesis games on December 2nd and December 16th respectively, with both days being a Thursday. I suppose that Thursdays are normally the days we can expect and update for NSO, so if Nintendo and Rare are on schedule for the release of BK this month, the release date would most likely be revealed by this Thursday, January 20th. If there are no updates by then, I think it's best to expect a delay for the release.

What a bad joke this all is.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but now that we are past the halfway point of January 2022, I wanted to give an update for the state of Banjo Kazooie on NSO. Last month, Nintendo gave us release dates for Paper Mario and a few Genesis games on December 2nd and December 16th respectively, with both days being a Thursday. I suppose that Thursdays are normally the days we can expect and update for NSO, so if Nintendo and Rare are on schedule for the release of BK this month, the release date would most likely be revealed by this Thursday, January 20th. If there are no updates by then, I think it's best to expect a delay for the release.
27/1 is also Thursday

Iggy500

Oct 26, 2021
27/1 is also Thursday
I did forget to add something to my post earlier. It took 8 days for Paper Mario to be released from the announcement on 12/2/21 to 12/10/21, and it seems that Thursdays and Fridays are normally the days NSO gets expanded with new retro games. If the release dates for N64 games on NSO are announced a week in advance, then 1/20/22 would be my prediction for when the announcement of BK will drop. You're right tho, 1/27 is the final Thursday of the month, so it could be announced by that time as well.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
There's no delay, Nintendo just loves to drag shit out like this.

Last year they announced that an ARMS rep/Min Min would be announced and released for Smash Ultimate in June…of course she was released at the actual end of the month. It's like that.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's pretty fuckin ass that we don't even know when we will get game drops with this fuckin service. Imagine if Plus games just randomly dropped with no lead up or defined date. $80 a year should not mean irregular release dates for games month after month. Like come the fuck on. We should be getting this shit the first week of the month or something.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty fuckin ass that we don't even know when we will get game drops with this fuckin service. Imagine if Plus games just randomly dropped with no lead up or defined date. $80 a month should not mean irregular release dates for games month after month. Like come the fuck on. We should be getting this shit the first week of the month or something.
$80/month? The service is about $4/month. But yeah, more communication from Nintendo would be great.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
My guess is they'll announce it on the 17th after Captain Toad stops being available for free. Can only have one exciting incentive to subscribe to NSO at a time after all

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Banjo was literally the only reason I even bothered upgrading my NSO membership lol, so yeah it would definitely be nice to know when it releases. I've been checking the news daily to see if any info drops.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty fuckin ass that we don't even know when we will get game drops with this fuckin service. Imagine if Plus games just randomly dropped with no lead up or defined date. $80 a year should not mean irregular release dates for games month after month. Like come the fuck on. We should be getting this shit the first week of the month or something.
It's $50 a year, 80 is the family price. But yes, we should have more info.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
It'll come out right at the end of January.

Announce a game for January but it actually comes out at the end of that month essentially using up a whole other month without having to have a release. Wasn't as much complaining because we had the 'promise' of that game to come keeping people going. And now it'll spread over into Feb too where we can't expect a new release because we "only just got Banjo!"

Feb: No game, but the announcement of a new game to come
Mar: Game release right at the end of the month
Apr: No game, but the announce of a new game to come

etc etc.

Basically how to not have to do monthly releases without it feeling like NOTHING is happening for weeks and weeks on end.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I doubt they will launch Banjo next week as Pokemon Legends will be launching on friday and I think they will want all the focus on Pokemon. So, if they dont announce it for this wekk, I think it may be delayed.