• River City Ransom

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Double Dragon

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
Getting beyond a joke now.

I'd pay $60-$80 AUD a year for access to a much bigger library - NSO is garbage.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just wanted to play SMRPG on a portable system in my lifetime. Baffling it wasn't rereleased in the 3DS eShop when basically every other big Nintendo/Square game was. PSP homebrew is a mixed bag for it. Guess it's back to the Wii U for me...

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel like Nintendo Switch Online could be marketed better. These updates provide a lot of negative press, when really, the idea of "Subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online and play nearly our entire NES and SNES catalog + select 3rd party games, with online multiplayer" is actually a really compelling one IMO.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that they doing all these ridiculous deep cuts but where the hell are the Earthbound games? And throw Mario Paint in there now that Game Builder Garage has used mouse support

Urban Champion is a bizarre omission too

Things have been dire this year since Pac-Man 99 turned out to be super mediocre

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What games that Nintendo has the rights to put on NSO whenever they want without needing to license them are they withholding? NES Pinball? Mach Rider? SNES Super Play Action Football? Nintendo basically has all their big hits on NSO minus stuff that has to be licensed like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, or requires more effort to release like the Super Scope and BS titles.
I mean, anything you listed there would be preferable to literally nothing, which is what they released this quarter.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
OK so why don't we get a 10-15 dollar indie a month then if Sony is giving out about 70-100 dollars in value a month?

Nintendo does do week long "play a game as much as you like" trials pretty much every week for a while now. I don't know how long a game lasts on Sony's service so not sure how it compares, but this sounds similar to what you are asking for.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Nintendo Switch Online could be marketed better. These updates provide a lot of negative press, when really, the idea of "Subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online and play nearly our entire NES and SNES catalog + select 3rd party games, with online multiplayer" is actually a really compelling one IMO.
Saying Nintendo has put "nearly their entire NES and SNES catalog" out is being pretty generous. There's a lot of holes, some more notable than others.

Jul 26, 2018
Nintendo does do week long "play a game as much as you like" trials pretty much every week for a while now. I don't know how long a game lasts on Sony's service so not sure how it compares, but this sounds similar to what you are asking for.
A one week trial now and then and "download this game and keep it as long as you are a subscriber" are not even remotely similar

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I think their selection algorithm is literally just a random number generator for titles they haven't published yet in a flat list, or just trolling. One or the other. It's sad.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

The games are yours to keep forever if you keep your ps+ subscription up. And I don't remember those trials happening "almost every week"... They're pretty rare.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want gameboy games, and would be okay with a 500¥ or so yearly increase in cost for it, however I imagine someone at Nintendo thinks no one would want to play such (low resolution, grayscale) games on their HDTV, and so it has probably been shot down since it hasn't happened yet.

If rolling you mean getting rid of old games to be able to afford new licenses. I'm not sure that would solve the problem, but even if it did, I would be against it. It's incredibly annoying when Netflix suddenly removes a series I have only halfway finished, and would find it just as unacceptable for Nintendo to remove a game I have yet to get to finishing.

Not what I meant by rolling.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You know full well why they ain't releasing EBB and EB on NSO.

…Mother trilogy physical release incoming!

Japan exclusive

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game Trials on NSO aren't even for a full week and once they're done they are done. It's also not even close to one per week. So it's like a tenth of a step in the right direction but definitely not there yet.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want gameboy games, and would be okay with a 500¥ or so yearly increase in cost for it, however I imagine someone at Nintendo thinks no one would want to play such (low resolution, grayscale) games on their HDTV, and so it has probably been shot down since it hasn't happened yet.

Gameboy games are 144p vs NES 240p, not some world of difference. Nintendo also has Super GameBoy and Gameboy Color support to emulate if grayscale is such an issue.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
A one week trial now and then and "download this game and keep it as long as you are a subscriber" are not even remotely similar

I didn't know Sony was giving a perpetual license on games like FF7Remake. If you are willing to pay the money, that does sound like the better deal. Personally I really dislike having to pay 3000¥ a year for network service, and if it weren't for the occasional trial or the Famicom games, I wouldn't. And if it was the cost of Sony's service, even if I got to keep the trial games, I probably would not. That's way more than I want to pay.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao

I knew this thread was gonna be big when I saw "If..." in the Japanese Nintendo vid but not in the other in my subs :v

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The service is still too cheap for anything nontrivial to be added. They should just charge $60 like everyone else and do something more interesting. They can still keep the $20 tier for pure online play or something if they want

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like Jelly Boy and Bombuzal come to us courtesy of Throwback Entertainment, yet another IP holding company like Piko Interactive, City Connection, or Eida. They seem to have a lot of old Acclaim and Ocean games, among others. Obviously that won't include licensed stuff, which comprised a lot of Ocean's library, for instance (too bad, would be cool to see Addams Family or Blues Brothers on here). Not sure what else they'd have to offer, especially if these were their first picks.

But that's what we're getting here, since the likes of Capcom and Konami have likely shared everything they don't have compilation plans for. I do think there's value in even weird stuff like this, particularly as someone who cares about preservation, but this would serve better as part of a Netflix-esque library of 50-100 immediately available titles, as opposed to one of our four yearly updates.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Most of their games are there already, so may as well not add anything?

What games that Nintendo has the rights to put on NSO whenever they want without needing to license them are they withholding? NES Pinball? Mach Rider? SNES Super Play Action Football? Nintendo basically has all their big hits on NSO minus stuff that has to be licensed like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, or requires more effort to release like the Super Scope and BS titles.

I was thinking outside of the NES/SNES. Long overdue platforms like the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance would be such a welcome sight.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
SMT if... is the game that inspired Revelations: Persona.
The Guardian Spirits and game system are unique to the Persona archetype.
I also enjoyed how the scenario and difficulty level changed depending on the choice of one of the four companions.
I'm glad they added it.
But as was the case with the FE3 additions, the NSO additions on the Japanese side are good choices, but the US additions are pretty poor.
I can understand why people are complaining.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Finally a company that understands the pure nostalgia of the EB Games bargain bin. What'll $13 buy me this month?

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Too bad Nintendo is so secretive about their internal processes, but I would love to read a detailed journalistic article about their strategy (or lack of) with retro releases this gen.

As everyone has said, it is so random. I guess they got the rights to those old games for super cheap, but if they have rights for Natsume stuff, for example, why not actually good games like Pocky & Rocky 1/2?

At this point, I would pay $10-15 dollars for a good virtual console monthly subscription service with all the heavy hitters from 3rd parties.

I know most publishers want to do their own retro collections these days but, I mean, if Microsoft can get a deal to put a fucking Sony game on Gamepass (The Show), I'm sure Nintendo can work something out to license some 8/16/64 bit roms for their ultra-succesful console.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, at least I can delete the app and pretend it doesn't exist when the Analogue Pocket comes out.

Literally only have my NSO sub for smash and Monster Hunter now.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Looks like Jelly Boy and Bombuzal come to us courtesy of Throwback Entertainment, yet another IP holding company like Piko Interactive, City Connection, or Eida. They seem to have a lot of old Acclaim and Ocean games, among others. Obviously that won't include licensed stuff, which comprised a lot of Ocean's library, for instance (too bad, would be cool to see Addams Family or Blues Brothers on here). Not sure what else they'd have to offer, especially if these were their first picks.

Isn't City Connection what used to be Jaleco or does Jaleco still exist in some manner? Speaking of Blues Brothers, weren't one of the ports of Blues Brothers and the Blues Brothers 2000 game published by Titus?

As everyone has said, it is so random. I guess they got the rights to those old games for super cheap, but if they have rights for Natsume stuff, for example, why not actually good games like Pocky & Rocky 1/2?

Pocky & Rocky supposedly has a new game on the making that's going to be multiplatform, so I don't know if they want to have those in NSO.

Claymates doesnt look that bad, will check.

It's okay, nothing groundbreaking but it's some fun.

Nov 4, 2017
I've literally never heard of any of these games... Yay?

I wish Nintendo would add another platform (GB or GBA would be nice) just do they could release some content I care about.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Absolutely reaching shit tier with NSO.
What big games are yet to release though?
I'm assuming we will never get all the RPGs from 3rd parties etc so at some point I guess…this is what happens lol

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
It's also not an NES game. Nintendo only has two platforms they're releasing games for and they still managed to ignore one of them.

We've gotten 2 NES games in 2021. If you extend that to last year's July update it only increases to 5.

NES was largely sunset when they added SNES, even if we get the occasional game for it. Never mind that we're still missing some 1st party games and the rest of several series already on the service (Ninja Gaiden, Flying Warriors, Ninja Boy).

At this point, I would pay $10-15 dollars for a good virtual console monthly subscription service with all the heavy hitters from 3rd parties.

Well, there's a Pocky and Rocky reboot coming, so that covers that one.

Vyr

Jun 3, 2021
Scotland
8f5d154f8805023a82d6d24a17ea06b7.png

I'm sold.