• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo knew their firmware would be hacked so they put in a stupid bug like this to ensure people would update /s...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
DXSsOuIVQAADOq7.jpg

Play time does appear glitched, as others are reporting. With my review Switch unit sent by Nintendo last year, I first played Breath of the Wild on February 20, 2017. This screenshot I just snapped claims I first played it 10 days ago on February 20, 2018.

So tomorrow you'll be able to find out if the numbers of hours played last year are kept or reset. If it's the former, I don't think it's such a huge problem and Nintendo could patch it without urgency.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, just when you think Nintendo will get it. Two steps forward, one step back is their name of the game.

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Definitely not intentional, since one of the features of switch API lets games check other games played times. Don't think I've seen it used yet but it could severely mess up anything in the works that uses it

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I looked at a friend's profile the other day and wondered why his BOTW progress had reset. I guess this explains it. The Switch really needs a 3DS-esque activity tracker.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
the play time thing is messed up anyway, some of my games never displayed hours, only "first played x days ago"

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Joke's on you Nintendo. I bought my Switch like 2 weeks ago, so you can't reset my stats yet!

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Time played feels more hidden on the Xbox than Nintendo consoles, but it's there too.

I didn't know I put 616 hours into Forza horizon 3.

Yeah, apparently I spent like 4 days+ playing Mirror's edge catalyst and Phantom Dust! :-O I refuse to believe that (although i did play them a lot, i wonder is pause+console standby etc counts when the application is still running)

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks. How do they keep getting worse each new platform? 3DS play log was the best. I was always looking in there.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's likely just a bug in how playtimes get displayed. There's a good chance that Nintendo will be able to fix it.

Doesn't really excuse the bug in the first place, but I wouldn't panic yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I also believe it's a bug that can be solved. I think the full times aren't actually lost.
By looking at this thread, you might think someone at Nintendo told his programmer 'yo can you do the time tracker part, please? Oh but make DAMN sure it resets every year'

Doesn't really excuse the bug in the first place, but I wouldn't panic yet.

Speaking as a programmer, stuff like this happens all the time. And to be fair, it is a reeeaaaaally small part of the UI. Its not like the system crashes and deletes your account, or opens a backdoor for hackers to break in.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Same happened to me. I got my switch one day earlier last year and now my play time is "Last played 0 days ago"

Deleted member 5656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a simple date subtraction bug. Possibly subtracting based on the day somehow instead of the total year. They could fix this by building a proper activity log like the 3DS had though.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I put Zelda BotW in - 'First played 0 days ago.'

Next I put Bomberman in - previous accumulated game time.

7fkwKww.gif

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We willed the Reset the Clock meme into reality. You are responsible for this NintendoERA

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, mine did reset, but it now says "Played 9 Days Ago".
gTwdaSO.png

Weird part, I did not play Breath of the Wild 9 days ago. The last game I played was Gorogoa back in December.

bemusedchunk

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
if this was server side db - like steam - then they could easily fix this.
however, i think switch db is local - so even if they implement a fix, ya'll not getting your numbers back.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So when do we start justifying this bug and make threads like "How the Nintendo Switch's play time bug helped me realize time is just a social construct", etc?

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From a purely data security/privacy point of view this is unexpectedly forward thinking of them (if intentional). But I guess gamers don't care much about privacy of data

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe it's intentional. QA didn't see this bug I guess, probably a variable taking a weird int.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This is not intentional. a logical error in the code is probably causing the counter to reset. unfortunate, but it will get fixed.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
lol. there goes any interest in this feature. the only reason i downloaded the parental control app was to see the logged time but if it's gonna be reset like this, i'll delete the app and just screenshot my playtime. fortunately the first game i got was MK8D so i have time to take a screenshot (i played BotW on Wii U and it was the activity log what decided which console i picked funnily since i didn't mind the lower resolution as much as i was worried about the shittier activity log)

Breaking News

Nintendo is 10 years behind everyone

they're only behind themselves in this feature. the 3DS, Wii and Wii U had much better time logging features.

can you help me find the PS3 and PS4 activity logs?

Status
Not open for further replies.