• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I will never understand why people want web browsers on consoles, they are the most inconvenient and useless way to check stuff on the web, I have my phone readily available to see whatever the fuck I want at any moment, super fast.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It is an issue when every other current Gaming device outside of Nintendo has this feature and the switch doesn't has it. I remember the mass complaints about the PS4 not having alot of OS/UI options that the Xbox had and Sony didn't, but they had to listen to it's user base and add this support. Just because it's not there, doesn't mean that it isn't an issue.

I do own a 4k TV and would like to see Nintendo support 4K mode for the Switch in docked mode. Thus I stated that it is not a complaint, but hopefully a feature to add in the future. Remote Play is on PS4 and PS3 via the PS Vita, which I used to use quite a bit on my travels. Whats wrong with having such a cool feature for the Switch as well?
Remote play on PS3 is on like 10 games out of 1000. Stop it

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand why people want web browsers on consoles, they are the most inconvenient and useless way to check stuff on the web, I have my phone readily available to see whatever the fuck I want at any moment, super fast.

Options are good to have. Dont' need one? Don't use it. Need one? Use it.

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Making a web browser will take dev time from let's say Metroid 4.

It was a lot better that they used time and money to develop Switch 1-2 than a web browser.

Switch 1-2 is more interesting and useful than a web browser.

"Best Friends - My Horse 3D" on 3DS is more interesting and useful than a web browser.

Seriously. We all have at least n web browsers.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Name me any handheld system not made by Nintendo that don't support wireless Bluetooth headsets. Standards need to be made. Accepting it is what it is not good for the consumer. Same with Tablets and Cell phones. Every single handheld device has this feature. This should be a standard.
Sorry, I generally find a lot of "industry standard" arguments to fall flat unless there's some kind of practical necessity for the feature to exist. Which I guess I could see just in the sense that less wires makes taking out/putting away your device much easier, but idk how widespread an issue that is to make it necessary.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I general find a lot of "industry standard" arguments to fall flat unless there's some kind of practical necessity for the feature to exist. Which I guess I could see just in the sense that less wires makes taking out/putting away your device much easier, but idk how widespread an issue that is to make it necessary.
The Switch is the one device I think Bluetooth audio is actually a good solution for, as it's the only solution that'd let you use the same headphones when docking/undocking. However, I'm fairly certain Bluetooth audio has really high latency due to the implementation, which is a no-no for games.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
They can keep everything bare bones if they want but there's no excuse for the lack of cloud saving.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The Switch is the one device I think Bluetooth audio is actually a good solution for, as it's the only solution that'd let you use the same headphones when docking/undocking. However, I'm fairly certain Bluetooth audio has really high latency due to the implementation, which is a no-no for games.
Oh totally. Docking/undocking is something I didn't consider. I'm of course not trying to argue against implementing bluetooth headphones, just didn't find OP's logic to be particularly compelling and was hoping for a bit more substance than that.

And I was gonna bring up latency but I honestly don't know how much wireless headphones have improved lately. I do a lot of work with music production so for me analog is the only option until the inherent issues with wireless are shown to be thoroughly minimized.

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

Which I suggest only use headset when joy-con is attached to the switch. Win-win for users.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh totally. Docking/undocking is something I didn't consider. I'm of course not trying to argue against implementing bluetooth headphones, just didn't find OP's logic to be particularly compelling and was hoping for a bit more substance than that.

And I was gonna bring up latency but I honestly don't know how much wireless headphones have improved lately. I do a lot of work with music production so for me analog is the only option until the inherent issues with wireless are shown to be thoroughly minimized.
Having just done some quick searching around - there have been improvements in the latency department, chiefly from Qualcomm's aptX codec - problem is it's licensed stuff. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to implement to a device post-release (or how willing Nintendo would be to pay the royalty).
Which I suggest only use headset when joy-con is attached to the switch. Win-win for users.
This wouldn't do anything for the latency issue.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo didn't make the web browser user accessible because of "security reasons", they are literal idiots. The browser is easily accessible to anyone who knows how to change DNS settings, aka every hacker ever.

I wonder if the Switch's Bluetooth actually has enough bandwidth to stream audio. It might not.

4K mode - Not sure if the Nvidia can help with this, but If Nintendo can release an add-on dock to push my games to 4k mode, I would be Ecstatic.
This isn't how hardware works. External GPUs need a crap ton of bandwidth.

Having just done some quick searching around - there have been improvements in the latency department, chiefly from Qualcomm's aptX codec - problem is it's licensed stuff. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to implement to a device post-release (or how willing Nintendo would be to pay the royalty).

I have a pretty good idea.

The DSi was able to play aac audio, but mp3's, because Nintendo didn't want to pay the licensing fee for two different formats. Yeah, mp3.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't how hardware works. External GPUs need a crap ton of bandwidth.
Which, incidentally, a USB C dock may be able to provide. 3.1 can push 10 Gbit/s over a 1 m cable; the very short copper runs going from the Switch to a dock would theoretically be able to push a great deal more, if you wanted to.

I don't think Nintendo would recoup the cost of development, though. Too niche for their market.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah you might want to check either your internet settings or your router or something because something is definitely not right with how you describe your wifi and downloading problems.

I have two switches in my home, both get taken out of the house pretty regularily and are always in sleep mode after playing. I have only needed to connect them to the wifi in my house one time each, which was when we first set them up. They also download updates on their own automatically, often while in sleep mode.

I hope your switch is not faulty, but what you describe is definitely not normal

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Name me any handheld system not made by Nintendo that don't support wireless Bluetooth headsets. Standards need to be made. Accepting it is what it is not good for the consumer. Same with Tablets and Cell phones. Every single handheld device has this feature. This should be a standard.
Name me something that does but also has to connect multiple Bluetooth controllers to it? The difference is the fact these controllers have to connect to the Bluetooth and Bluetooth can only do so much before something interferes with it.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
The other solution is to buy a long aux cable (or aux cable extension) for like 10 bucks

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
(Mods you can add OS to the thread title as well?)

Top Complaints:

Web Browser - I think Nintendo could have easily put this in, but I believe this was because of security reasons. But still, this is a staple application which should have been at launch, even if it's a barebone version. Hopefully they will patch this in.

Always online Network connection - I find it ridiculous that I have to keep going into setup just to reconnect back to the internet on my WIFI every time I get it out of sleep mode. This should have been auto added at launch.

Friends list on the main screen - I need this like yesterday. I need one that is simple to use like Playstation and Xbox. I want to easily see who is playing what and can I join them.

Trophy List - I need this just for bragging rights. I know this will be added soon, so I can wait.

Bluetooth Headset - I already made a thread about this, but this should be an option to listen wireless from my headset while the Joy-cons are attached to the Switch.

Download Updates - I noticed that every time I put in a game, it tells me that the game needs to download updates, but it says that it's paused. If there is no update Nintendo, I should not see this option pop up every single time. I always sit there for two minutes just waiting for the update for all of my games and nothing comes :(

Custom Backgrounds - I want this bad. I want to customize my Switch. I know it's coming but I'm Thirsty.

Not complaints, but hopefully will release in near future:

4K mode - Not sure if the Nvidia can help with this, but If Nintendo can release an add-on dock to push my games to 4k mode, I would be Ecstatic.

Remote Play mode for Wii U to Switch - I have 20+ games that I would like to stream over my switch. Would love that option, but I know it will never happen...(keep the dream alive)

Your thoughts...

Web Browser, it's in already, but tbh, would it get much use over a phone or iPad?

Always online - It kinda is, it actually downloads stuff faster in sleep mode as well

Literally press up then A when on the home screen, Freinds list is the first thing to pop up

Trophy List - nah, myNintendo is better as it provides actual rewards

Bluetooth - Would be nice, but the other consoles alos don't support this and tbh, the joycons could cause interference and I'd rather avoid all that

Download updates - You've done something wrong there, they are automatic for me, sounds like a corrupted update that needs to be redownloaded

Custom Backgrounds - I'm certain they're coming, at least as themes

4k Mode - Never gonna happen, the console simply isn't powerful enough with a more "Powerful" dock, the CPU/GPU in the switch isn't powerful enough at all

Remote Play - Never gonna happen as Nintendo can and will re-sell those games on Switch

Literally you're asking for suh minor things, just enjoy what you have! Especially when Nintendo need to sort out the Game Saves situation asap

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017

but if you wanna watch web stuff on a big screen tv

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Web Browser, it's in already, but tbh, would it get much use over a phone or iPad?
Honestly I wouldn't mind being able to bring up YouTube or similar streaming sites that don't have apps on the Switch. I don't have a smart TV and I don't have any dongles and don't really expect to invest in anything like that any time soon. I still use my Wii U for that stuff but as much as the second screen helps with browsing videos, I deal with a lot of speed and connection issues cause I doubt Nintendo has updated that browser in a long time.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch really needs an achievement system of some kind I agree there. Some indie dev said one is coming but who knows when or if they were even telling the truth.

Trophy List - nah, myNintendo is better as it provides actual rewards

That's a good joke lol

I'm still waiting for any switch rewards at all even though we all know they will suck. I have a big chunk of coins expiring in a little more than a month. Meanwhile I'm currently earning psn credit for getting trophies. Already made over $20.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
What it needs:
Save file back-ups, preferably via cloud storage just like their mobile apps

What I want:
Friend Activity. A new tab in your profile that compiles every screenshot and video uploaded to social media (or shared directly to this list) by your friends.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Which, incidentally, a USB C dock may be able to provide. 3.1 can push 10 Gbit/s over a 1 m cable; the very short copper runs going from the Switch to a dock would theoretically be able to push a great deal more, if you wanted to.

I don't think Nintendo would recoup the cost of development, though. Too niche for their market.
USB-C has nothing to do with anything — it's merely a connector shape.

eGPUs generally rely on Thunderbolt 3 for their bus, both because it's essentially just PCI express in a packetized wrapper, and for its ~40 Gbps bandwidth. USB 3.1 may be 10 Gbps, but the Nintendo Switch does not even support that, it supports USB 3.0 with a practical bandwidth of roughly 3.2 Gbps. We're talking roughly one tenth the bandwidth an external GPU would need to function adequately.

An external GPU dock for the Switch is a pipe dream.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
What it needs:
Save file back-ups, preferably via cloud storage just like their mobile apps

What I want:
Friend Activity. A new tab in your profile that compiles every screenshot and video uploaded to social media (or shared directly to this list) by your friends.
Agreed on the first point. Second point is also a really cool idea! I'd love for a lot of the social functions to come back into the Switch's ecosystem instead of having to rely on social media shares. I used to browse Miiverse every day or two just to see what my friends had been up to. Don't prefer spending any more time on Facebook than necessary, tbh.

On that note, I'd like video capture to be available for all titles!

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd feel much more compelled to ask for a browser if Nintendo re-implements an option for pointer controls for their UI, or at least some better way of inputting text than a controller (not counting the touch screen which, while great, isn't available in docked mode). No way in hell am I gonna try to browse the web if inputting a URL is so tedious.

I would like to be able to upload my screens and vids to more platforms, though. Don't care for using Facebook or Twitter for that stuff.

As for remote play, although that's not a UI thing at all - the Wii U>Gamepad streaming tech was pretty beast, and I do hope Nintendo finds a way to implement that hardware back into the Switch somehow. I was banking on them using it as a basis for the console but they went the opposite direction with it, for understandable reasons.

USB keyboards work already. Wireless dongle ones as well.

Just don't tell the rocket league players.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of these are UI/OS issues.

This is literally a wish list of features that you want.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Something weird I noticed today is that when in docked mode you can't turn on Airplane Mode, but if you take it out of the dock, turn on Airplane Mode, then put it back in the dock, everything still works just fine.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you are asking for remote play on the Switch you are really missing the point of the thing

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As most others said...

You can edit your Network profile to auto-connect.... like if you're on Wired, or on Wireless, save the password, etc...

Easy peasy, just wait a few seconds after loading home screen.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Number 1 issue is lack of trophy / achievement support / forced via the OS.

I mean that's reason I won't ever buy a multi-platform title on Switch even if I would prefer to play it portably.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if that counts as a UI/OS request, but I would like to have the option to buy more than one product at a time from the eShop ( unless it is possible and I still haven't figured it out >.> )

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, after three reboots and completely deleting my file, I was able to make the download to go through, so I am soo happy!!!

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an Ethernet adapter and I'd like it if it could handle transition between docked and undocked and vice versa a bit more gracefully, not killing an active game connection.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the transition between ethernet and wifi is always going to kill the connection. Don't think there is a way around this.

Could possibly keep the Wifi alive and rerouting when you get/lose the wired connection. Might screw with router business, idk. It's really annoying though.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not having multimedia features like Netflix and YouTube is a huge oversight in my opinion, it adds a ton of value for a very small investment, there is literally nothing to lose for anyone.

I think Nintendo has a great opportunity at making a decent first tablet/smart device for kids, something initiatives like Labo heavily implies, so I'm baffled at why they don't have things like YouTube or a web browser on it yet.

I think the OS of the Switch is a joke, it does nothing other than let you launch games and buy games. The hardware is good for a lot of things and they could add so much value to the device by giving it a few non-game utilities, especially with the value it can give kids as a starter tablet.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not having multimedia features like Netflix and YouTube is a huge oversight in my opinion, it adds a ton of value for a very small investment, there is literally nothing to lose for anyone.

I think Nintendo has a great opportunity at making a decent first tablet/smart device for kids, something initiatives like Labo heavily implies, so I'm baffled at why they don't have things like YouTube or a web browser on it yet.

I think the OS of the Switch is a joke, it does nothing other than let you launch games and buy games. The hardware is good for a lot of things and they could add so much value to the device by giving it a few non-game utilities, especially with the value it can give kids as a starter tablet.
You mention kids: YouTube is for 13+
Same could be said for a browser too

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

They are obviously coming, but I don't understand what's taking so long.