Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can turn off headgear from the system menu.

No. My plight is I love this mask so much but I love my created character so much as well. But now I can't enjoy how my character looks because I cannot resist wearing this mask.

While all of you are having trouble with bosses, I'm stuck over here dealing with the real issue. Oh woe is me.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So I try to summon for the first time.... it's been 45 mins waiting for a player to join. Ugh. I probably could've beat the boss myself by now.

These stupid multiplayer systems in soulslikes need to go away. Being all cryptic adds NOTHING to the games.
It's not cryptic at all, when you offer a cup at the shrine it puts you in a pool, the helpers get to choose whether to matchmake for a specific mission or all cleared missions so far, so the further you get the smaller the pool of players will be that can help you. In the early levels there is so high demand that when I queue up to help someone it takes like 5 seconds to find a match and it usually is one of the first three levels despite being halfway through the game.

If you want we can set up a password and then I'm guaranteed to join your game depending on which mission you are on.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
What should I do with all of these soul cores? Are some rarer than others? Should I just wait until NG+ and just combine them with better cores?

The cat and kodama cores are kinda rare, but if you have cores you don't plan on using then you can use Resting Rites to earn Shiftling skill points.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
It's not cryptic at all, when you offer a cup at the shrine it puts you in a pool, the helpers get to choose whether to matchmake for a specific mission or all cleared missions so far, so the further you get the smaller the pool of players will be that can help you. In the early levels there is so high demand that when I queue up to help someone it takes like 5 seconds to find a match and it usually is one of the first three levels despite being halfway through the game.

If you want we can set up a password and then I'm guaranteed to join your game depending on which mission you are on.
It's cryptic in the sense I have no fucking idea if someone will join in 5 mins or 50. Or if anyone is even queuing at all. I have no indication of the activity. It should be a menu. Imo.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Right? I got summoned earlier today into the first level. I felt all badass, I'd just rocked the boss for someone on a previous summon. I'm higher level.

Then I lose my damn mind and die to a random axe enemy, just a cannon fodder human. It was humiliating.

I had that happen today too just did the third level no one died to yokai or anything like that but three of those stupid fucking rocket arm guys took 70% of our lives.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's cryptic in the sense I have no fucking idea if someone will join in 5 mins or 50. Or if anyone is even queuing at all. I have no indication of the activity. It should be a menu. Imo.
As I said, there are people queuing for it and there is a dedicated coop menu from the starting point (torii gate), but there are just so many people all asking for summoners in the same three missions that it will take a while. Again, you can simply set up a secret word in the summon visitor screen (press triangle, then change from no restrictions to secret word with the d pad, press X to edit the word, enter something like era, tell me what you set up and I'll jump in and help you out. Do make sure to exit the menu and then offer up a cup after setting the secret word, it should still display your secret word, but at the bottom it should then say press X to offer a cup instead of edit.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Ok cool I thought it was Chi (Chee) because I thought there was an OT title about it for the first game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You can turn off headgear from the system menu.
The only way to play, tbh
Is it "Kee" or "Chee" ??
Kee.
Ok cool I thought it was Chi (Chee) because I thought there was an OT title about it for the first game.
Other way around. On the old site the OT title was "Stamina is Ki", which was a pun for "Stamina is key".

Ki is the Japanese pronunciation, chi is the Chinese one.
en.wikipedia.org

Qi - Wikipedia

themoreyouknow.gif :)

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Brute burst counter runs the risk of still taking damage as you do it. Ideally you would hit it right in the start up or be to the side. Basically you still have to avoid the attack as you're doing it.
Ok now I'm confused I thought it worked like a normal counter like in other games? Brute burst counter is r2 and circle right? Is that the only type of counter in the game?

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Ok now I'm confused I thought it worked like a normal counter like in other games? Brute burst counter is r2 and circle right? Is that the only type of counter in the game?

Burst Counters are depends of the 3 type of Guardian Spirits and they are used to counter those "Red Flash" attack.

There are other counters in the game depending on the weapon and are used for normal attacks.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
After having played Sekiro all week, I don't know what to think about Nioh 2. It feels unfair just to be unfair at times, no matter the skills. The hit detection seems quite bad, and maybe even worse than the first one too.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, the Namahage soul is so good, especially on enemies/bosses with no Ki. I managed to grapple this boss 5 or 6 times in one match with it because it build up the grapple bar like crazy.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Does high dex scale the damage of your ninjutsu attacks / scrolls?

I originally spec'd into dex and magic, but it was rough early game. I wanted a light armor, agile character. But I was getting OHK by everything, including scubs. And if not OHK, I'd be stunlocked by every enemy combo, effectively a "OHK". Cannot even dodge out of it. If they land the first hit, you're eating them all. Sometimes I could block mid combo, but lose all my Ki. So I'm like, what's the point of this mobility if I can't escape combos? Is lower mobility really that much of a penalty anyway? I'm fighting these other players' graves and they seem pretty damn fast even in heavy armor.

So I reroll into a more balanced build where I can wear heavy armor and be mid-mobility... still getting stunlocked by combos. Despite high toughness, my attacks (even abilities) are often interrupted.

Anyway, I'm not feeling this as a tankier player. Ki feels more important, especially in these marathon boss battles where Ki management is what eventually kills me. Think I'm going back to Nioh ninja... just wondering if higher ninjutsu actually makes your kuni hit harder.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
After having played Sekiro all week, I don't know what to think about Nioh 2. It feels unfair just to be unfair at times, no matter the skills. The hit detection seems quite bad, and maybe even worse than the first one too.

I've put around 25 hours in Nioh 2 so far since having it from Wednesday so I think I'm qualified enough to make a comparison. The absolute difference between the two is how difficultly is defined. In Sekiro difficulty is very much skill related whereas Nioh 2 has a plethora of artificial difficulty modifiers such as bad camera work, burst counters not registering and really questionable (read: pointless) AI. Good luck if you fight one of the jumping axe Yokai in an interior of a building.

I'm not saying Sekiro doesn't feature some of this, but it's far, far more polished and ultimately rewarding.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Region 2->3 cutscene
pretty cool idea splitting Hideyoshi into 2 characters basically. Thought we might be this story's version of Hideyoshi given the Hide name but didn't expect that.

Region 3 mission 1 end
hello mermaid 2B

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
just finished the first mission. Told myself I wouldn't get this because of how much time/grind it took to keep up with the first game but here I am lol Control scheme is taking me longer than it should to get used to for some reason. Started with the Kusarigama but rocking the Odachi right now. Feels good to play another Souls-like game again

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
There are three counters? What are the other two?

Feral: you counter by dodging into the attack. If the attack hits your after-image it is countered. And then there is Phantom: you counter by timing the attack; it has the most forgiving timing - or so people say. I switched to Brute and find the timing a lot easier, particularly because you attack forward instead of just waiting for the attack to hit you (Phantom).

In your video, you got hit because you didn't attack before the attack came out; however this isn't ALWAYS an issue. Some attacks simply don't hit you despite missing the timing so you only lose Ki-damage on a poorly timed hit.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've put around 25 hours in Nioh 2 so far since having it from Wednesday so I think I'm qualified enough to make a comparison. The absolute difference between the two is how difficultly is defined. In Sekiro difficulty is very much skill related whereas Nioh 2 has a plethora of artificial difficulty modifiers such as bad camera work, burst counters not registering and really questionable (read: pointless) AI. Good luck if you fight one of the jumping axe Yokai in an interior of a building.

I'm not saying Sekiro doesn't feature some of this, but it's far, far more polished and ultimately rewarding.

Sekiro has areas with a shit ton of enemies engaging with you. Absurdly broken hitboxes (looking at you chained ogre, demon of hatred etc) and a mess of a camera as well.

Have you ever fought the ninja in the well? Its borderline unplayable due to the camera. Also the AI is just as braindead in Sekiro as it is here.

I like Sekiro too, but lets not pretend here. The game has plenty of nonsense in it too.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
The camera isn't an issue for me in Nioh 2 because they have so many options. I have paddles so it wouldn't work for everyone, but with attack on shoulders buttons and block/dodge on paddles I rarely have to give up camera control. I'm able to have lock-on camera disabled and just control the camera myself. It's pretty interesting to play a soulslike with lock-on and be able freely control the camera. I also had to do some OS remapping to get everything where I wanted, but it was worth the effort. Couldn't imagine playing with the default settings and a dumb lock-on camera.

Keizza

Oct 27, 2017
anybody else here feel like the game might be a tad TOO deep for them? like....man, there are SO many things to consider. i have beaten gozuki and the first main boss. but i'm sitting on skills and cores because .....it all seems so overwhelming.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Game is definitely very punishing in regards to damage taken from hits. I got killed in 2 hits from full health by a normal mob soldier on the second stage in the purple wooded area. This was more a side mission level and it said it's level 4 area and I was level 8 but still can die easily in two hits by some enemies.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
anybody else here feel like the game might be a tad TOO deep for them? like....man, there are SO many things to consider. i have beaten gozuki and the first main boss. but i'm sitting on skills and cores because .....it all seems so overwhelming.
I know what you mean it's definitely got a LOT of systems and mechanics right from the start.

All the different rng loot, all the rng abilities and buffs stacked onto the loot, there's so many different things and often don't know what they mean unless you press options on the description.

Then there's the stances, move sets for different weapons, new counter system, different yokai forms and all those soul cores, ranged weapons and items, levelling up proficiency and familiarity with weapons. Setting different unlocked moves to specific button combinations. Smithing, kodamas...upgrading loot and abilities....The list goes on.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get summoned anyway? Does that use up items

I'm not actually sure but the way you matchmake is by going to Tori Gate and clicking to sign up for a mission I always host and get people in less than two minutes. So far no one gets grumpy about failing a mission because you keep everything you've picked up and all the souls for leveling up.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Region 2->3 cutscene
pretty cool idea splitting Hideyoshi into 2 characters basically. Thought we might be this version of the story's Hideyoshi given the Hide name but didn't expect that.

I haven't gotten to that part yet but the moment I saw that our main character's name is 'Hide' I was like "aww shit, I see what you're setting up Team Ninja."

This game is a joy for people familiar with the history.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't touch Omyo magic or ninjitsu, so if someone can explain to me the best use of these two specifically omyo that would be great.

I see a lot of pro players debuff bosses with Omnyo, so wondering whats the best combo?

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You'll are making me jealous. I never finished the first one but it sounds like some of the issues like boring levels has been remedied a bit going by reviews. I was going to wait for PC but I can get this now and then PS5 should make it 4k 60 or so you'd think so.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
You'll are making me jealous. I never finished the first one but it sounds like some of the issues like boring levels has been remedied a bit going by reviews. I was going to wait for PC but I can get this now and then PS5 should make it 4k 60 or so you'd think so.
I wouldn't say the levels are not completely remedied of boredom. Its just less samey environments but still similar color palette

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Game is definitely very punishing in regards to damage taken from hits. I got killed in 2 hits from full health by a normal mob soldier on the second stage in the purple wooded area. This was more a side mission level and it said it's level 4 area and I was level 8 but still can die easily in two hits by some enemies.

This. It's extremely annoying and just bizarre design.

I also wish they'd make losing your amrita after defeat to be optional - or at least retrievable with more than one attempt. How can someone get better you can't level up?

So frustrating.

Is there a place we can make patch suggestions to the devs?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Question about the first main boss, but also a general tactic question

How do you avoid the "wide swing" of the bosses without getting hit? Perfect dodge timing

Seems when I dodge to the side I still get swiped. Dodging into the boss works well, but then I run out of Ki and am vulnerable to melee.

Dodging away I get hit every time.

Any tips would be helpful.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

How do you avoid the "wide swing" of the bosses without getting hit? Perfect dodge timing

Seems when I dodge to the side I still get swiped. Dodging into the boss works well, but then I run out of Ki and am vulnerable to melee.

I just blocked it, didn't try to dodge it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

Block those