• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you can but augments later, but I wish the starting stamina level wasn't so damn low. annoying as shit.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited to go home and play. Bought this on the steam sale a few weeks back but decided to wait for the update before diving in. No vr for me sadly though. Vr impressions in this thread sound awesome.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I may try rigging my PSVR up to my PC tonight so I can try out the VR version without Vaseline mode that the PS4 version apparently has.

Anybody know if the switch to Vulcan enhances performance a lot? I know with my 2070 Super and an 8700K the game tends to drop frames quite often in 1440p.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Any visual impressions from PC VR yet? I am currently downloading for steam now its updated there,,,, my friend is lending me his rift tomorrow so I am going to wait until then to launch the new version. I am so impressed with everything I have read about this update,

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I need Salvaged Data. How do I find that? It's been forever since I played.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
I may try rigging my PSVR up to my PC tonight so I can try out the VR version without Vaseline mode that the PS4 version apparently has.

Anybody know if the switch to Vulcan enhances performance a lot? I know with my 2070 Super and an 8700K the game tends to drop frames quite often in 1440p.

If you work out how and actually looks much better let me know. I have similar specs to you so be interesting if it works OK on pc through psvr!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody else able to go into the control settings menu to change the keybindings without it crashing? It's done it twice on me now.

I just need to know how to change to first-person.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I platinumed the base game for my PS4 and haven't played in over a year. I recently received an Xbox One X for my birthday and had the idea of picking this game up again for all the new updates. I stopped by Walmart the other day and they had it listed for $33, but when I checked out, it was actually $19, so that was a great surprise. Lol. Hopefully after a few days of some long work shifts, I'll be able to jump in and try it out again. I'm looking forward to it.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I feel silly...... How do you enable VR mode on PlayStation? Started a new save file and I never was prompted to enable VR and I just have a large screen in the headset. Don't see any toggle in the options menu either.....

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looks rough on PSVR but the implementation of interactions is a lot better than other ported games. Once you are use to the layout it's very nice to control. Just wish the flight felt a bit more like Ultrawings.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Might go get my VR headset from the parents house tonight to try this, but I have a few questions.

Are Touch controllers supported? And if so, how well are they implemented? Can I actually steer my ship using my hands or do you use the joystick?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
"You have lost connection to online discovery services..."

I forgot about that fun issue when trying to rename and update planet info around launch times.

Is anybody else able to go into the control settings menu to change the keybindings without it crashing? It's done it twice on me now.

I just need to know how to change to first-person.
Yeah I'm in there tweaking stuff atm.

edit: actually I can't change anything, no keyboard assignments are able to be changed, they're all blank.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't start up on my PC at all. Hit play on Steam, says running for a few seconds, then goes right to syncing and shutting down before even a hint of the program starting happens.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I was actually expecting a lot worse given some of the comments in here.

Seeing a video (which still looks pretty bad) is never the same as having this in real VR, 1cm in front of your eyes, split up in half of that for both of your eyes, that's a whole nother story.

I really have fun at the moment and it grows on me in VR a lot, but let's not pretend that this is anything but f'n awful and as worse as it can possibly be. I don't think VR games can go even lower in res to be honest.

I feel silly...... How do you enable VR mode on PlayStation? Started a new save file and I never was prompted to enable VR and I just have a large screen in the headset. Don't see any toggle in the options menu either.....

You have to start the game with the VR headset activated, you can't switch around.

... Besides the website claiming you could.
E3uAc6o.jpg

Tell me lies Todd uh I mean Sean.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a video (which still looks pretty bad) is never the same as having this in real VR, 1cm in front of your eyes, split up in half of that for both of your eyes, that's a whole nother story.

I really have fun at the moment and it grows on me in VR a lot, but let's not pretend that this is anything but f'n awful and as worse as it can possibly be. I don't think VR games can go even lower in res to be honest.

You have to start the game with the VR headset activated, you can't switch around.

E3uAc6o.jpg

I wonder if that's just a PS4 limitation. That thing is ancient by now.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks real rough on the Rift (OG version) and doesn't run well on a 980ti. Wasn't expecting anything amazing but it needs work. The control changes are interesting. Inventory and spaceship control interaction is very neat.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
VR is great, definitely will be playing with the headset from now on. Looks fine on PSVR to me, I assume it will get better but the scale and presence more than makes up for the low res

Dogfighting is a lot of fun too, sorry to that random person I hunted for 10 minutes

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
On PC and there is a strip of small rectangles in the bottom left that are changing colour as I look around - not sure what that is about.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK

E3uAc6o.jpg

That's obviously referring to resuming your game in VR without having to start a new save.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did a test. Took 4 screens from a saved planet i had pre patch on PC at 4 distinct views. Took the same 4 again after patch.

Conclusions:

FOV is much greater after the patch at the same 100 setting.
Draw distance on things like trees are much farther at the same ultra settings after the patch.

Now i was never on the vulkan branch and some people said the draw distance was extended back then.

DOwnside seems there is shorter draw distance on certain types of items and buildings after the patch i hope they fix.

Two trash memes rolled into one.

Impressive.

I mean one of their first posts was 'sean fucked it up again' or some shit. The agenda isnt vague.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else getting really bad texture pop-in on the Pro? Like, I can just turn in a circle and the textures around me take a few seconds to show up.

I havent been playing the new update yet, but have been playing previous update the last week or so, and yes this is an issue, epscially on geometry that has been modified by the terrian gun.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What are the walking controls for moves?

Holding LT for walk and turning with O and X on the right one.
It's not perfect since jumping is also on the right move and there is no backward walking button, but it's better than expected.

I wonder if that's just a PS4 limitation. That thing is ancient by now.

There's no Pro compatibility for the VR mode so far, so there is a small improvement possible still. Let's hope for the best.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the time to jump in on this for PC? I've got a Rift and a RX580.

I have always been intrigued by this game but never really dove into what all you do in it, is it completely open to what you want to do? Just fly around and visit planets or is there a progression you have to go through?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was actually expecting a lot worse given some of the comments in here.

It's almost all hyperbole. People expecting the heavens again. Anyone who's used PSVR knew what to expect, those who are disappointed, if we're being honest, have only themselves to blame.

That's obviously referring to resuming your game in VR without having to start a new save.

Not worth having the discussion with said user, lol. You're right though, it's very clearly talking about picking up existing games and playing in VR or moving back and forth between VR with the same save, not doing it in the same instance (i.e. while you'er playing).

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Started this and it looked awful. Blacks were clipped to all hell and back and whites were really flat. Restarted and still it looked like that. Then I remembered that I'm on the beta firmware with the HDR adjustment settings and that I'd pushed the sliders to extremes to see if I could force a visual change. I readjusted those and yup, that fixed it. Still testing to find optimal settings but it's a pain in the ass having to restart NMS every time. :/

EvilBoris do you have NMS on the PS4?

Last edited:

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Hey lone star. I'm on pc.

!!!

I got the steam version, and I haven't kept up if there's a splintered userbase on PC between who all has sold that game.

Also don't have VR, but I'm in the early stages of building a PC that includes it (not sure my old one could handle it as well as I'd like)

Also, hope things have been well, as I've been stuck in FFXIV addiction for a couple months now.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got settings situated on PC. Able to get 60fps+ at 4k Ultra except for 2 settings that I left on High (Base and Post Processing). I don't have a base yet, so not concerned about that. I also have HDR 1000 enabled in the menu for my monitor and man....NMS was built for HDR. Turning it on and off for comparison, and it's not even close. Looks great.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Holding LT for walk and turning with O and X on the right one.
It's not perfect since jumping is also on the right move and there is no backward walking button, but it's better than expected.
wait I thought it worked like most Move Locomotion VR games? Thought I read that from most comments. that it works like Skyrim, etc. Where the Left move is sort of a virtual joystick, and tilting it backwards moves you backwards, tilting left and right lets you strafe, etc. While the Move button is pressed. Is it really not like that? I hate games that only let you walk were you are looking. Im sure that has to be an option somewhere.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
There's
Finally got settings situated on PC. Able to get 60fps+ at 4k Ultra except for 2 settings that I left on High (Base and Post Processing). I don't have a base yet, so not concerned about that. I also have HDR 1000 enabled in the menu for my monitor and man....NMS was built for HDR. Turning it on and off for comparison, and it's not even close. Looks great.

There's HDR in the pc version? Omg

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Saw this on the patch notes "Revised HDR support, updated output curve in line with advances in HDR calibration."

Is this across all versions? Has anyone noticed any change for PS4?

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Thank god, sounds like they fixed all the issues with the beta. The HDR was especially bad and blown out completely.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
How's the whole community hub thing?

I haven't tried the game since the update yet. Wondering if it feels more "populated"? Or still mostly random, sparse encounters?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.

sorry you feel that way, its got some really impressive VR games. yeah it has its limitations though.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
!!!

I got the steam version, and I haven't kept up if there's a splintered userbase on PC between who all has sold that game.

Also don't have VR, but I'm in the early stages of building a PC that includes it (not sure my old one could handle it as well as I'd like)

Also, hope things have been well, as I've been stuck in FFXIV addiction for a couple months now.

I bought the steam as well. I am starting Fromm scratch as my original game was on PS4 but my vr is on pc.

And I've been mostly stuck on fallout 76. Despite all the hate I've been enjoying that game.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Yup. It's been in the experimental branch for a while, but wasn't implemented correct iirc. It's now in the main version. Has multiple HDR settings in the menu, from HDR400 all the way to HDR1000.
Awesome. I'll be plugging the pc into my tv tonight to check this out! Bet it looks awesome with the games fantastic colors.