• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope they unveil a crowdfunding campaign, because I really enjoyed Travis Strikes Again and would rally around a public show of support.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Momocon is finally here. Not long until we get news on what Suda's got planned for us.

I kinda hope they unveil a crowdfunding campaign, because I really enjoyed Travis Strikes Again and would rally around a public show of support.
That could be something. Honestly, If NMH3 really is a go, my main question is who's funding it. Like I don't think it's a stretch to assume TSA didn't do all that hot sales-wise but GhM clearly are pushing ahead with NMH3.

I think it all depends on the scale of NMH3, tbh. Development now is way different than it was back in 2006/07.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what are actually expecting from Momocon?

NMH1+2 Remaster?

TSA for PS4/PC?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Momocon is finally here. Not long until we get news on what Suda's got planned for us.

That could be something. Honestly, If NMH3 really is a go, my main question is who's funding it. Like I don't think it's a stretch to assume TSA didn't do all that hot sales-wise but GhM clearly are pushing ahead with NMH3.

I think it all depends on the scale of NMH3, tbh. Development now is way different than it was back in 2006/07.

I think TSA was probably cheap enough to make that it would be hard for it not to turn a profit on name recognition alone. Unreal engine and a team scarcely large than most indie games while commanding a "premium" price for that space. Aside from the limited FMV and voice acting I can't really think of anything in it that would run you that much.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wasn't this supposed to happen today?
It still is

The Travis Talks Again panel is in 2 and a half hours

t1558819800z0.png

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting anything NMH3 related today. Suda still has an E3 appearance on deck.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I want to believe that TSA coming over to PS4 and Steam doesn't mean much but this does make me curious as to whether NMH3 will launch as a multiplatform game and how much Nintendo is involved with it. As far as NMH3 is concerned, Suda did a bit more of his teasing confirming his presence at E3 and that he 'might' having something to announce.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe that TSA coming over to PS4 and Steam doesn't mean much but this does make me curious as to whether NMH3 will launch as a multiplatform game and Nintendo's involvement with it.
If Marvelous is finally backing, then yeah most likely multiplatform. If Nintendo is still behind it, most likely not. I imagine NMH3 is probably a bigger fish than TSA here.

Anyway, going into NMH3 I guess the one thing we learned today was that Doppelgänger is coming back.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Marvelous requested it to be multiplatform for it to be worth funding. Going for a 3D character action game/hack'n'slash was always going to be too pricey for Grasshopper alone, and the premise of releasing it exclusively on Switch was probably too light for Marvelous to fund it.

If Marvelous is behind it, they may have requested TSA to be ported to PS4/Steam so that everyone is up to date for a multiplatform NMH3.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
good for those who want to play it that don't own a Switch but I was hoping for a NMH1+2 of Killer 7 port. I thought it was funny how Suda himself was trying to rein in the hype about the announcement.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe Marvelous requested it to be multiplatform for it to be worth funding. Going for a 3D character action game/hack'n'slash was always going to be too pricey for Grasshopper alone, and the premise of releasing it exclusively on Switch was probably too light for Marvelous to fund it.

If Marvelous is behind it, they may have requested TSA to be ported to PS4/Steam so that everyone is up to date for a multiplatform NMH3.
I'm cool with this. Definitely going to get announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct then.

Prediction: Marvelous are also funding NMH1 and 2 to be ported multiplatform as well, not just for Switch.
Yeah, definitely see this launching before NMH3. I recall him stating a few months back that he spoke to Marvelous and that a potential NMH1+2 remaster is in their court so something like that releasing before the third main instalment can be a nice way to rekindle some interest in the brand.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
NMH3 is definitely a ways off yet anyway, if they've just started development just after Travis Strikes Again. They need to keep the fans and newcomers ticking over until then, so makes sense to spread the releases out.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction from today's stream aligns with all of you guys here. Suda mentioned Marvelous "loves" No More Heroes and will "Ask as soon as he's back in Japan" about porting NMH1&2 to Switch, which does lead me to believe it's already been something in the works (unsurprisingly) since he was able to answer that so straight-forwardly (and he's been porting a lot of his past games recently anyways, so there's that too).

I also believe Travis Strikes Back might mean this third game is not Nintendo funded, it might just be Grasshopper and Marvelous, and this could be prepping that.

I do think E3 won't be NMH3 though. I believe it's something else they've got in the works most likely, with NMH3 being further out than being shown this year.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the light of the recent announcement I also got my doubts about how deeply involved Nintendo is with NMH3. Definitely looks like Marvelous is footing the bill on it.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Like The Avengers in scope"
Damn, it just occurred to me, a Sudaverse game would be absolutely bananas.

It would be great to see NMH 1&2 remastered in 4k/ 60fps before NMH3 drops, whenever it does.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another possible theory is that Nintendo is funding NMH3, and TSA releasing on PS4 & Steam is just a way for Grasshopper to monetize further the already done Travis Strikes Again. They certainly don't have too much cash at hand right now.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An alternative theory for the publisher I've seen floating around worth considering

Suda visited Ubi back in March, who published the NMH games in America.

Part of me doubts Ubi are interested in footing the bill for as niche of a series as this, but.......

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Another possible theory is that Nintendo is funding NMH3, and TSA releasing on PS4 & Steam is just a way for Grasshopper to monetize further the already done Travis Strikes Again.
I was thinking this too. I'm assuming TSA on Steam and PS4 will still be self-published by GhM so they could use the extra funds to finance NMH3 alongside Nintendo.

Honestly, Nintendo would be dumb to not snatch it up as a major exclusive for their system. Especially considering the series' started way back on the Wii.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking this too. I'm assuming TSA on Steam and PS4 will still be self-published by GhM so they could use the extra funds to finance NMH3 alongside Nintendo.

Honestly, Nintendo would be dumb to not snatch it up as a major exclusive for their system. Especially considering the series' started way back on the Wii.

I'm thinking this particularly because, if it was done with Marvelous' backing, the game would likely be published/ported by them on PS4/Steam and they'd have been mentioned in the presentation...

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's going to be so amusing if NMH3 is more like TSA plotwise/cutscene direction. Game is going to weird out the fans of who only played NMH1 and 2, big time. I do wonder if Suda is going to actually give what the NMH1 and 2 fans (who haven't played his other games and ended up hating TSA because of it) want or going to side more with those of us who like all of his games like he did with TSA...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is really weird that Marvelous would think NMH3 needs to be multiplatform when they don't feel the same about their more sony related franchises, there is even the case of SK that started on the 3DS and still went sony only

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that seals the deal, Marvelous does seem to be implicated with TSA on PS4/Steam. They're likely funding NMH3.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Okay that seals the deal, Marvelous does seem to be implicated with TSA on PS4/Steam. They're likely funding NMH3.

giphy.gif

I think NMH+NMH2 is coming sooner than we may think, also I get the feeling NMH3 will probably be a multiplatform game as I see no reason for them to keep it exclusive to the Switch, especially if Marvelous is all gung-ho about funding it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
An alternative theory for the publisher I've seen floating around worth considering

Suda visited Ubi back in March, who published the NMH games in America.

Part of me doubts Ubi are interested in footing the bill for as niche of a series as this, but.......

this was at GDC btw, he wasn't visiting Ubisoft

you can see he posted this image of the stadia logo on the demo floor a few hours later

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Confidence in NMH3 being multiplatform means I'd probably skip it on the Switch. I hate how murky every UE4 Switch game looks.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Confidence in NMH3 being multiplatform means I'd probably skip it on the Switch. I hate how murky every UE4 Switch game looks.

Probably same. UE4 hasn't been the revelation I expected it to be on Switch. Might wait for a multiplat release of Daemon X Machina as well at this point if those Marvelous games are only going to be timed exclusives.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Could very well see that its a timed exclusive, in the same vain as TSA and no more heroes 1/2 was. No more heroes heroes paradise was basically NMH1+ the bosses from 2 and released a couple months after NMH2 launched on wii.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Probably same. UE4 hasn't been the revelation I expected it to be on Switch. Might wait for a multiplat release of Daemon X Machina as well at this point if those Marvelous games are only going to be timed exclusives.

Pretty much. I was super suspicious when UE4 was confirm to support Switch, as while it's still great, history has shown lower end UE4 games always have weirdly blurry image quality. Something to do with how it handles post processing and antialiasing, while choking with the resolution. I don't think it's unplayable or anything and it's great the engine supports the platform to assist developers in making games on an engine with robust, supported toolsets, but every single UE4 game I've played has pretty miserable and inconsistent image quality. Framerates are also usually all over the place.

I'd much rather play hypothetical NMH3 on PC at 1440p with a locked 60+fps if its an option.

Could very well see that its a timed exclusive, in the same vain as TSA and no more heroes 1/2 was. No more heroes heroes paradise was basically NMH1+ the bosses from 2 and released a couple months after NMH2 launched on wii.

Yeah, I figure this too. I never got around to Heroes Paradise as I supported the original Wii builds at launch. I also wouldn't be surprised if it would be timed exclusive.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean how many of those UE4 games are made with switch as the lead platform?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not even on Switch Pro? You're a disgrace

Haha, if I've got the option to play at 1440p / 60-140fps with sufficient anti-aliasing, anisotrophic filtering, and all shaders cranked to maximum, I think I'll take that over whatever the Switch / Switch Pro can output (which won't come close).

That being said, if No More Heroes 3 gets announced for Switch with no confirmed release for PC, even if it's implied it'll come eventually, I'll probably pick up the Switch build first and just buy it again on PC later like I've done with other games.