Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Going to work still - but it's just me, tending to random stuff, like I gotta be here to open/close the gate for the trash truck, receive shipments from Fed.Ex/UPS (who are no longer requiring signatures), etc. The joys of being a business owner!
yep. Ive been working for my dads company for just over a year. small business here in Phoenix. only 5 people here all week, im just doing warehouse alone, waiting for UPS, FEDEX and other deliveries. been so SLOW this week

Nlroh

Oct 25, 2017
Called my ENT doctor again, she told me I should go to her office, that it wouldn't be a problem because righty now it was empty. Turns out I have a viral infection, that's affecting my lungs and it could become pneumonia... I can't get tested because I don't have any recent travel history, and if I don't get better with the normal viral treatment she prescribed in 24 hours, I should go to a hospital to get a test of basically everything but Coronavirus, if all comes out negative, then we will know its covid. That's pretty much the only way to get diagnosed right now in this shitty country.

I'm considering self medicating with hydroxichloroquine, because honestly I don't know what else to do. Feel like I'm wasting time and this could get worse for me.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
So about that itchy throat that I had on Sunday, it eventually became a sore throat and now I just have some phlegm that I hack up every once in a while.

Haven't really had a high fever or muscle aches and I feel pretty good for the most part.

I know not the place to ask, so know I'm thinking it's 50% Corona or 50% not.
I had the same happen to me, and it's most likely allergies as it's that time of year. If you develop a fever, definitely call.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I want to order Chipotle now that they're doing free delivery but then I think about the possibility that an employee just sneezes or coughs on the open food :/

Does anyone here have any data on food handling? Like what temps actually kill the virus? Like I guess you could just nuke whatever you get and get the temp up to like 160F. I would think that would do it given other food handling temps but I dunno.

Jan 31, 2018
I bet we'll get a vaccine a lot sooner than we expect. Heres hoping for summer.
Really, really wish people would stop suggesting this. The last thing the world needs right now is poorly tested, rushed out vaccine that could cause more damage then the virus itself not just from the side effects, but from the further erosion of public trust in vaccinations. Let the scientific process do what its supposed to do.

The hope in the short term are anti-virals and other off-label treatment.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went grocery shopping just fine yesterday. Shelves a little thin but had no problem finding anything. This is in Washington.

BUT, we have been low on space in my freezer for months because our company gives all employees a free thanksgiving turkey. We never made it because we didn't host.

Given the work from home nature and an upcoming weekend in isolation we are gonna be cooking that bad buy. Food for days!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went grocery shopping just fine yesterday. Shelves a little thin but had no problem finding anything. This is in Washington.

BUT, we have been low on space in my freezer for months because our company gives all employees a free thanksgiving turkey. We never made it because we didn't host.

Given the work from home nature and an upcoming weekend in isolation we are gonna be cooking that bad buy. Food for days!
Make stock!

Aug 27, 2018
Just found out my state senator was 1 of 8 to vote against the relief bill. Still making Nebraska proud, Ben Sasse. You piece of fucking shit.

Jan 31, 2018
The head of a hospital in the US state of Georgia has warned that supplies are running short after using five month's worth of supplies in six days in the fight against coronavirus.

That comes amid growing concerns of equipment shortages in healthcare facilities across the US.

Phoebe Putney Health System CEO Scott Steiner told CNN that equipment at the healthcare provider's flagship hospital in Albany, southwest Georgia, has been severely impacted by an increase in coronavirus cases.

The total number of recorded cases of Covid-19 in Georgia is now at 121. Of those, 65 patients are reported to be at the flagship Phoebe Putney hospital. At the same time, at least 115 others await test results.

According to the CNN report, Mr Putney believes that the Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany, Georgia, has five more days worth of supplies despite being prepared with six month's worth of equipment, such as protective gear, before the coronavirus epidemic.

www.independent.co.uk

US hospital uses five months’ worth of supplies in six days as shortages hit

Five months worth of supplies were used by one hospital in six days, as the US health officials ask Congress for more funding to fill gaps in supplies

Shows how critical the defense production act is right now.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
Was a source for this ever posted?

yes, and my mistake: it is the 25th

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2...sperti_dovrebbe_essere_il_25_marzo-251541010/

All'Università di Genova un team multidisciplinare, composto da infettivologi, esperti di sistemi complessi e informatici, ha messo a punto un modello numerico che inserisce anche la variabile del comportamento degli italiani rispetto ai divieti di uscita
at the University of Genova a team of experts including infectious diseases experts, complex mathematical systems experts and IT experts came up with a model that takes into account even the variable behavior of the italians defying the quarantine.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you read the second part, it looks like they are but following a different procedure.

These are times when we really can't just be reading headlines.
But i did read it and they aren't arresting them. they are basically putting an arrest warrant on them but people can just flee somewhere else from the law.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
is there a tracker for how many per city in Ontario?

Because it seems to be popping up in every single city around me. So really I just need something to watch to have a grasp on what's going on around me.

Second question. What's the next phase here? Basically stay in doors by law? How much farther than governments take this defence of this?

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Called my ENT doctor again, she told me I should go to her office, that it wouldn't be a problem because righty now it was empty. Turns out I have a viral infection, that's affecting my lungs and it could become pneumonia... I can't get tested because I don't have any recent travel history, and if I don't get better with the normal viral treatment she prescribed in 24 hours, I should go to a hospital to get a test of basically everything but Coronavirus, if all comes out negative, then we will know its covid. That's pretty much the only way to get diagnosed right now in this shitty country.

I'm considering self medicating with hydroxichloroquine, because honestly I don't know what else to do. Feel like I'm wasting time and this could get worse for me.

how did you get your hands on hydroxicloroquine

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
My store is doing horrible sales wise, and not just my store but all the others same branded stores, I give it by the end of the week before they announce the stores closing.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
But i did read it and they aren't arresting them. they are basically putting an arrest warrant on them but people can just flee somewhere else from the law.

My bad, I missed a part with it myself that didn't show up when I first opened it.

Ok yeah, they ARE coming but not really... doing anything about it. (In the case of "burglary" if everyone is staying inside, at this point it would be more "home invasion", which isn't on the list...)

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
In soviet russia, you infect the virus

but actually they probably just aren't reporting. Its russia after all.
According to the European Commission's disinformation squad, Russia and sources close to Kreml are busy sowing misinformation about the virus in European and US circles to further their "divide and conquer" geopolitical goals. Really so frustrating to see that Russian leadership continues to behave in such a way.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/eu-kremlin-disinformation-coronavirus-intl/index.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...lin-media-using-coronavirus-crisis-undermine/
https://www.dw.com/en/russia-denies...oronavirus-disinformation-campaign/a-52825640

Last edited:

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is an incredibly stupid thing to publicize, or leak if that was the case. They don't think people will read this and start stealing people's shit? Especially if it continues to get worse.

Edit: quoted wrong message. This is in response to the Philly police not arresting people for robbing people.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I haven't been to the grocery store in about a week (US here).

Do stores still have fresh produce or is it hit or miss?

Is it recommended not to buy food that may be exposed like that (produce just sitting out)?
Your mileage may vary. In Chicago, some stores are absolutely crazy depending on the time of day while others are fully stocked and with respectful people. I've got a group chat with a few buddies up here and we all report in from our recent grocery runs.
What about these drugs that they are currently testing that are supposed to cure/help with the virus that have already been through clinical trials such as the Malaryia and HIV Drug?

Couldn't those go straight to mass production once they can confirm that it does in fact stop the virus?
This is something that has been on my mind as well. We are going to be a long, long way off from having a vaccine, but if current drugs can help reduce the number of people that are in need of ICUs and can help ease the burden of the health care industry, it would be an enormous positive breakthrough for combating this virus.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like we should be able to sue our government for neglect. Why can't we be tested if we show slight symptoms, we're just supposed to assume that it is or isn't? It pisses me off.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
So my job, which announced on Monday that we would be shut down on a paid office closing until Tuesday, sent a company wide email saying that they discovered that we fall under the category of an "essential" business and so they are going to be contacting "certain highly skilled" employees to come back to the office on Friday. Am I crazy, or is this incredibly unfair and irresponsible to ask certain people to work while others get paid to stay home? I'm going to get the call because of my position, but I think I'm going to refuse to go in until it's deemed safe enough for everybody to return. Hardly see how I could be penalized for that.

Jan 31, 2018
In general, the U.S. experience largely mimics China's, with the risk for serious disease and death from Covid-19 rising with age. But in an important qualification, an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Wednesday underlines a message that infectious disease experts have been emphasizing: Millennials are not invincible. The new data show that up to one-fifth of infected people ages 20-44 have been hospitalized, including 2%-4% who required treatment in an intensive care unit.

Still, the most severe cases, and the highest rates of death, are among the elderly. Although 17% of the U.S. population is 65 or older, 31% of cases were in that age group, CDC experts concluded in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. While it is possible that the elderly have more chances to be infected than younger people, such as by living in nursing homes, that is considered unlikely, since younger adults encounter many others at work and school.

Instead, the higher case rate among older Americans strongly suggests a true underlying, biological vulnerability, probably exacerbated by preexisting illnesses which, according to data from China, sharply raise the risk of both infection and serious illness.

That likely explains why although older Americans represented 31% of the cases, they accounted for 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of ICU admissions, and 80% of deaths, the CDC reported.

In contrast, no ICU admissions or deaths were reported among people younger than 20.

www.statnews.com

New analysis breaks down age-group risk for coronavirus — and shows millennials are not invincible

The data show that of people ages 20-44 who are infected with #coronavirus, up to one-fifth have been hospitalized, including 2%-4% who required ICU treatment.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Woke up at 5:30 with a terrible headache and then constant nausea for the next 2 hours. Managed to sleep until noon but I'm definitely not close to 100%. No fever or cough or sore throat so I think I'm dealing with another bug.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So my job, which announced on Monday that we would be shut down on a paid office closing until Tuesday, sent a company wide email saying that they discovered that we fall under the category of an "essential" business and so they are going to be contacting "certain highly skilled" employees to come back to the office on Friday. Am I crazy, or is this incredibly unfair and irresponsible to ask certain people to work while others get paid to stay home? I'm going to get the call because of my position, but I think I'm going to refuse to go in until it's deemed safe enough for everybody to return. Hardly see how I could be penalized for that.
As someone going through that exact experience on multiple levels (I WFH because I can WFH unlike some employees and I go into the office periodically because of responsibilities): it sucks, but just be happy that means you are essential and have a LOT more job security than most of your coworkers.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to the European Commission's disinformation squad, Russia and sources close to Kreml are busy sowing misinformation about the virus in European and US circles to further their "divide and conquer" geopolitical goals. Really so frustrating to see that Russian leadership continues to behave in such a way.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/eu-kremlin-disinformation-coronavirus-intl/index.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...lin-media-using-coronavirus-crisis-undermine/
https://www.dw.com/en/russia-denies...oronavirus-disinformation-campaign/a-52825640

I'm curious if the US is trying to do this too. Everyone rightfully blames russia for its disinformation campaigns but I gotta wonder if the US is doing the same thing back.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
people are still being detained in the philly situation, and being served warrants for a later date. Officers will still respond

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I feel like we should be able to sue our government for neglect. Why can't we be tested if we show slight symptoms, we're just supposed to assume that it is or isn't? It pisses me off.

Well, if they have a limited number of tests it makes sense to prioritize people at risk or with severe symptoms so they can move quickly to the suitable treatment. A person with slight symptoms might never need treatment so it's a better use of resources to get them to isolate.