Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any data on what kind of margins MS has for the 1X? I'm guessing they make a pretty good profit on each one sold.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was more meaning for both Nov and Black Friday specifically. I think it's clear it's doing well over all, but whether you would still consider Nov and Black Friday successful, or if you expected a higher total.

BTW, I get it if you can't answer that question as it gets a bit specific.

I'll be honest Switch was lower on Black Friday weekend than I had anticipated it being heading in. That said I think expectations for many just ballooned a bit so slightly unreasonable levels considering no discounting.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube Video

Overall

November 2017 US video game spending across hardware, software and accessories jumped 30 percent when compared to a year ago, to $2.7B. Gains were achieved across all categories of spending.

Software

Dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software combined to reach $1.2B in November 2017, up 19 percent versus a year ago. Year to date, consumer spending on Software is up 6 percent at $5.4B.

Call of Duty: WWII was November's best-selling game overall, and instantly becomes the best-selling video game of both 2017 (year to date) as well as the rolling 12 month period ending November 2017. Call of Duty: WWII generated more launch month consumer spending than any Call of Duty debut since the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops II in November 2012. Call of Duty is the top ranking revenue generating franchise in tracked history.

Assassin's Creed: Origins was the third best-selling game of November. Over its first two months, Assassin's Creed: Origins has generated the highest consumer spend for an Assassin's Creed franchise release since 2013's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

November sales of Racing games tripled when compared to a year ago, making it the fifth most purchased Super Genre in the month. Shooter games (+30%) and Sport Games (+26%) also experienced strong year on year November sales growth.

Activision Blizzard generated the most consumer spending of any publisher in November 2017 and remains the top selling publisher of 2017.

Hardware

Hardware spending in November 2017 grew 52 percent when compared to year ago, to $1.1B. Spending growth was driven by Nintendo Switch, Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4.

Sony's PlayStation 4 sold the most units of any hardware platform in the month of November, while Microsoft's Xbox One drove the highest dollar sales of any hardware platform during the month.

More units of PlayStation 4 hardware sold in November 2017 than any other month life to date. PlayStation 4 is the best-selling video game hardware platform year to date.

Xbox One hardware generated its highest unit sales tally of any November month life to date.

Year to date, hardware spending has grown 28 percent versus 2016 to $3.4B. Consumer spending on Nintendo Switch, Plug N Play devices such as the SNES Classic and the PlayStation 4 continue to fuel growth.

Accessories

Total spend on Accessories and Gamecards grew 11 percent in November compared to a year ago, to $344m.

Spending on Gamepads grew over 30% in November compared to year ago. The Dualshock 4 Black PS4 controller was the best-selling video game accessory in the month.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
hm, nothing super interesting software rankings wise.

metroid gone and skyrim between Splatoon and Zelda I guess.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
YouTube Video

Overall

November 2017 US video game spending across hardware, software and accessories jumped 30 percent when compared to a year ago, to $2.7B. Gains were achieved across all categories of spending.

Software

Dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software combined to reach $1.2B in November 2017, up 19 percent versus a year ago. Year to date, consumer spending on Software is up 6 percent at $5.4B.

Call of Duty: WWII was November's best-selling game overall, and instantly becomes the best-selling video game of both 2017 (year to date) as well as the rolling 12 month period ending November 2017. Call of Duty: WWII generated more launch month consumer spending than any Call of Duty debut since the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops II in November 2012. Call of Duty is the top ranking revenue generating franchise in tracked history.

Assassin's Creed: Origins was the third best-selling game of November. Over its first two months, Assassin's Creed: Origins has generated the highest consumer spend for an Assassin's Creed franchise release since 2013's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

November sales of Racing games tripled when compared to a year ago, making it the fifth most purchased Super Genre in the month. Shooter games (+30%) and Sport Games (+26%) also experienced strong year on year November sales growth.

Activision Blizzard generated the most consumer spending of any publisher in November 2017 and remains the top selling publisher of 2017.

Hardware

Hardware spending in November 2017 grew 52 percent when compared to year ago, to $1.1B. Spending growth was driven by Nintendo Switch, Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4.

Sony's PlayStation 4 sold the most units of any hardware platform in the month of November, while Microsoft's Xbox One drove the highest dollar sales of any hardware platform during the month.

More units of PlayStation 4 hardware sold in November 2017 than any other month life to date. PlayStation 4 is the best-selling video game hardware platform year to date.

Xbox One hardware generated its highest unit sales tally of any November month life to date.

Year to date, hardware spending has grown 28 percent versus 2016 to $3.4B. Consumer spending on Nintendo Switch, Plug N Play devices such as the SNES Classic and the PlayStation 4 continue to fuel growth.

Accessories

Total spend on Accessories and Gamecards grew 11 percent in November compared to a year ago, to $344m.

Spending on Gamepads grew over 30% in November compared to year ago. The Dualshock 4 Black PS4 controller was the best-selling video game accessory in the month.

Mat any impressions on how PSVR performed?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any data on what kind of margins MS has for the 1X? I'm guessing they make a pretty good profit on each one sold.
We have no idea, given that it employs a lot of custom techs (particularly its cooling) to hit above its weight.

On one hand, it uses a trash cpu, but on the other there is a (higly overclocked) 6TF gpu but specially 12Gb of GDDR5, a custom cooling system and various custom chips.

That's why I don't think "sold the most in revenue" tells us much tbh, because if they make $1 or lose $1 per machine, even if it's worth $500 Msrp, it's a wash and less unit sold can translate into less MAU for the long term.

Now if they make $50-$100 (doubtful) per unit, they made out like a bandit of course.

Sorry Matt, but I gotta say I am hoping for leaks to give us more granular data on sales breakdown between systems.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did have a small question regarding NPD tracking. Does NPD ever do weekly tracking and add it up or is it simply month by month?

It's a mix.

Interesting how it's not on the top 10 best selling games of 2017 list?

That is interesting.

Best selling November for PS4 co firmed?! Holy shieeet. PS4 is a beast.

Best selling month for units.

Moonchild

Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad Bethesda saw success with Skyrim at #4 and Doom at #8 for Switch software. Since Skyrim ranked above Splatoon, I'd hope that would translate to pretty good sales numbers.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
There was a Wii last generation.

PS3 probably outsold Wii in Europe by late gen similarly like X360 outsold Wii in US. You can estimate this from final WW Sales. Wii crushed PS3 in US (by about 20 million) and also outsold it in Japan (by 2.3 million) and yet the final global gap was something like 10-15 million (WW sales estimate for PS3 is between 85-90 million and Wii is at 101 million) so PS3 outsold it in rest of the world. Considering how big part of this Europe is PS3 probably got ahead of Wii in Europe by the end of gen.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS3 probably outsold Wii in Europe by late gen similarly like X360 outsold Wii in US. You can estimate this from final WW Sales. Wii crushed PS3 in US (by about 20 million) and also outsold it in Japan (by 2.3 million) and yet the final global gap was something like 10-15 million (WW sales estimate for PS3 is between 85-90 million and Wii is at 101 million) so PS3 outsold it in rest of the world. Considering how big part of this Europe is PS3 probably got ahead of Wii in Europe by the end of gen.

Unlike the Wii, Ps3 had a WW presence.
And i don't necessarily talk about Europe as a whole, as we don't have sufficient data for that, but some countries in the EU where Wii outsold Ps3 by a decent margin.
The UK, France and Germany afaik, as the 3 biggest European markets.

I just don't think " Playstation is always the best selling home console every generation in Europe" is a good statement to make.

Voran Xbox Zaver

Banned for having multiple alt accounts
Dec 11, 2017
Playstation is always the best selling console on Europe in any generation (Home Consoles).

Eastern Europe is a bit sketchy but generally your right.

Outside the UK, the PS3 ended up first in most of the bigger countries at the end. If I'm not mistaken that Includes all of the western European countries San UK and the Nordic.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eastern Europe is a bit sketchy but generally your right.

Outside the UK, the PS3 ended up first in most of the bigger countries at the end. If I'm not mistaken that Includes all of the western European countries San UK and the Nordic.

I know I live in Europe, I've family across the whole continent I know what's up over here like the palm of my hand I wouldn't need any chart or numbers to know who sells more and who sells less.

With that said Xbox sure does better on the Nordic part of Europe, not so hot in the South, you guys plan to change this?

Voran Xbox Zaver

Banned for having multiple alt accounts
Dec 11, 2017
I know I live in Europe, I've family across the whole continent I know what's up over here like the palm of my hand I wouldn't need any chart or numbers to know who sells more and who sells less.

With that said Xbox sure does better on the Nordic part of Europe, not so hot in the South, you guys plan to change this?

I believe Microsofts goal currently is to focus on gaining back a Chuck of lost marketshare in it's dependable territories before they start looking at trying to expand for the sake of expanding.

You'll likely need to wait till next gen before you see Xbox really trying there again with Max effort, especially since Nordic countries are a different priority. As much as I don't like the terminology the tier 2 mindset is still a thing post launch for the Xbox One.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe Microsofts goal currently is to focus on gaining back a Chuck of lost marketshare in it's dependable territories before they start looking at trying to expand for the sake of expanding.

You'll likely need to wait till next gen before you see Xbox really trying there again with Max effort, especially since Nordic countries are a different priority. As much as I don't like the terminology the tier 2 mindset is still a thing post launch for the Xbox One.

Next Xbox better bring a huge push because they won't be able to compete with Nintendo or PlayStation if they don't push it hard.