Instro

Oct 25, 2017
But Nintendo pretty much published octopath travelor on the switch themselves though. Square enix was afraid to lol
What's this based on? I mean the companies historically have a pretty close publishing and marketing relationship, stretching back to the NES days.

Well ya kinda gotta estimate digital right but looks like OT didn't quiet launch higher than XB2...

But it'll surpass it, XB2 had a longer sales period and OT has more momentum out the gate

I'd be inclined to think that OT has a higher digital percentage. There was a bit of a supply issue around launch, and XB2 was a December release so presumably some of the purchases were for gifting.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Benj or one of the insiders said Spider-Man and Smash have very high preorders. Can they make comparisons to other games' preorders this year?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3P4wg68.png

OH MY GOD

This is going to be my new picture. Did you do this?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't played GTA5 yet at this point.

Your not alone. I've never cared for GTA. I would buy them then play for an hour and then let it gather dust after.

Decided I won't pick this game up until it's <$10 on Steam if at all.

Glad to see Octopath sell so well, hopefully will have Square get more games on the system.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways it's been a while. And Nintendo's gotten the top software spot of the NPD twice in a row.

You don't mess with a post-Furukawa world.

JoeEHKL.png

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Really odd to see Crash be so low on the Nintendo list and so high on the Xbox list. Was hoping that both sold as well.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I still haven't got Octopath yet cuz Vancouver is expensive as fuck.

That is insane that it got #1, I don't care how slow a month it is.

GTA5 #2? Good God. BOTW has been hanging around the Top 10 for a while now hasn't it?

Crash at #4 is also really good.

I live in Vancouver too, but bought it in the US thanks to GCU. Canada rips off its gamers in price. Won't buy a $79.99 Switch game here

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Ill get Octopath probably when it drops in price. Lol Switch eshop sales.

But anyway happy for it. It seems cool. Holy shit at GTAV. Always amazed.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read the title thread and was like waaaaaaa. Then I saw the actual chart and was like okay that makes sense.

It really was a dead month wasn't it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
What's this based on? I mean the companies historically have a pretty close publishing and marketing relationship, stretching back to the NES days.

I'd be inclined to think that OT has a higher digital percentage. There was a bit of a supply issue around launch, and XB2 was a December release so presumably some of the purchases were for gifting.

Sure I'll give you that. So let's guess around 260k

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's because Square-Enix are cowards despite having historical evidence of games like this selling really well with Bravely Default.

Third parties are way too risk averse with things that aren't a near guarantee with the bread and butter 18-30 year old male demographic.

They weren't really like that. The producer said that it was a deal with Nintendo for them to publish the title outside of Japan. Octopath since the beginning of the development was a title for Japan and WW unlike with BD where the producers saw it's success and changed their minds for the new projects.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly the summer release slate is kind of inexcusable. People still want new games.

The industry really needs to move on from the idea that June - August are dead months. Its wide open to be taken advantage of.

The Xbox / PS4 release slate for this summer is outright dreadful

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly the summer release slate is kind of inexcusable. People still want new games.

The industry really needs to move on from the idea that June - August are dead months. Its wide open to be taken advantage of.

The Xbox / PS4 release slate for this summer is outright dreadful

They really need to do that. Now that the beginning of the year is quite busy, this period would get much more people to buy games.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to do that. Now that the beginning of the year is quite busy, this period would get much more people to buy games.

Yep, used to be it was all about Q4. Then pubs started realizing that Q1 and Q2 can be really successful for releases as well.

But apparently there are still 3 random months of the year we just shouldn't release games in, because that makes a lot of sense right?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It took decades for Hollywood to learn that people will go see big budget movies at any time of the year, not just in May-July and December. Now January and October are the only two months left that have never had a $100m+ opener (and Venom is currently tracking to break the October opening weekend record, so we'll see how that goes).

Video game publishers tend to be pretty behind on the curve, so I wouldn't hold my breath for big summer releases just yet.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, used to be it was all about Q4. Then pubs started realizing that Q1 and Q2 can be really successful for releases as well.

But apparently there are still 3 random months of the year we just shouldn't release games in, because that makes a lot of sense right?

Yep Q1 looking crazy next year.
Q2 could use some more games but Q3 is just dead which hopefully will start to change .

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Factoring in that Octopath was supply constrained, increasing the digital sales, I think I can assume that the number of Octopath could be doubled if factoring in digital sales.

Also, Q1 is April-June, Q2 is Juli-September, Q3 is October - December and Q4 is Januar - March

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what the reviews say, Octopath is a goddamn revelation and it deserves all the success and more.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
I really think the U port would have made so much sense last summer. Releasing it now just pushes off an entirely new 2D Mario way into the future, which would be sad to see.

lol, wait till you see how Super Mario Maker Switch pushes back a new 2d Mario even further!

And no, a Mario platformer port released 2 months before Mario Odyssey does not make sense...

Dumb question but are the sports games on Switch showing signs of doing better? I know they did well, just wondering.

Since neither EA nor 2k are willing to divulge any sales numbers for their Switch ports...I'm skeptical.

People are surprised a very hyped game for a very hyped console in a fairly slow release year (for Switch) in a month where nooothing came out...

...was number 1?

I mean, it's great for the genre, but I'm not seeing the "surprising" part here. Typically, how high GTA is on the NPD correlates pretty strongly without how poor the software lineup is?

I mean, GoW was #1 when Labo was #4...so I guess that shouldn't be that impressive either?

And Octopath was #1 without counting digital sales...like GTAV did for steam and PSN and xboxlive.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Factoring in that Octopath was supply constrained, increasing the digital sales, I think I can assume that the number of Octopath could be doubled if factoring in digital sales.

Also, Q1 is April-June, Q2 is Juli-September, Q3 is October - December and Q4 is Januar - March

No to your first point, and when talking about retail in these threads, we're talking in calendar years, not fiscal years.

Oct 28, 2017
Like most everyone else here, I'm super surprised about Octopath Traveler's success. I only hope it helps Square realize we need more content like it on Switch. *fingers crossed*

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'd have called Octopath as a moderate success if Nintendo pushed it hard, but there's no way I'd have predicted a number one debut without digital sales. That's really heartening. I know that in the gaming community, a lot of people talk about how Switch's form factor accommodates branching out into games that you might not usually jump into -- I wonder if that effect really is causing folks to broaden their gaming diets a bit. It would be a good thing if so.

Also, I need to play Octopath Traveler. Was planning on picking up this fall when things are slower for me, but it feels bad kind of missing out on the zeitgeist.

Feb 26, 2018
I don't know what's funnier
Tryhard downplay of switch software success or the unnecessary defence force it spawns.

On topic - great for Octopath. Great for Switch. Did it came first last july too?
Cool that Detroit is still in top 20 without any sales (even though it's probablyl just summer helping it stay on charts)

August NPD probably will be the same. Switch software and hardware will be ahead

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
My takeaways from this thread:

• People raising concerns about GoW are either console warriors driving by or have their expectations a bit messed up.
  • Tressa got paid. Shout-outs to everyone who went on about how it was a mistake to sell a 2D retro thing for sixty bucks.
  • Benji's illuminating tidbit about Smash Ultimate basically confirms to me that a segment of ERA posters is underestimating it to funny degree.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Isn't the idea also that people buy fewer games in the summer months because they are more outside or on holidays, but Switch games sell because you can take them outside or on holidays? Octopath seems like the ideal handheld style game.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
So... a fuckton of SE's JRPG ports are on the way right?

I really want a cleaner Chrono Trigger and FF IV~VI.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the idea also that people buy fewer games in the summer months because they are more outside or on holidays, but Switch games sell because you can take them outside or on holidays? Octopath seems like the ideal handheld style game.

Used to be the idea

Seems outdated now days. Consumers are as prepared to buy a game in July as they are in March or September. Doesn't really matter.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
I keep hearing different numbers and even still, Spider-Man and RDR2 about to drop. I'd imagine the gap will be larger than just a 100K unit increase if we go off of your numbers. Also, the PS4 won't just stop selling in November and December.

Well, referring by back to an earlier post of mine...GoW and Far Cry 5 and Detroit pushed ~550k sales of ps4 consoles in April and May.

I don't see why sales in September and October would be much different.

And I don't see why Switch couldn't sell at least 225k for September and October

So yea, I agree with Welfare that Switch won't fall more than 100k against the ps4 for September and October

And forget about Nov/Dec. No way the Xbox or playstaion will keep up this holiday.

lol I think you are putting too much stock into that. Switch is no Wii and To say that neither PS4 or Xbox will come close to that is honestly laughable considering both companies will be offering some predictable bundles and/or deep cuts.

Well, the Switch will outsell the Wii, so I guess maybe that's the disconnect here :P

Don't forget...from Oct-Dec 2017, the Switch still outsold the ps4/XboxOne.

Even with both XboxOne and ps4 selling consoles below $200 during that period...

And the Switch only had Mario Odyssey releasing those three months.

There is no way Switch doesn't outsell them again this holiday, and even more so than last year.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Used to be the idea

Seems outdated now days. Consumers are as prepared to buy a game in July as they are in March or September. Doesn't really matter.

Can you share why you think that is the case?
Is it because of launch success of Octopath and other games released in Jun-Aug of last few years?
Does the software sales generally stay flat throughout the year with spike in November to December?
Or is it generally the case that Jun-Aug are slower months for software sales?