DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Wow a 16 bit looking $60 JRPG was dominating July,
I'm truly happy XD
Love this game and characters a lot.

That's what I like about this industry, it's so unpredictable.
Congrats SQEX although you could've done even better.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that it kills momentum for any new Mario game for the next few years when it would much more profitable to just release the new game as it's going to be big enough to carry a holiday season by itself.
NSMBU won't be that, the fact that we're already 8 months in 2018 and we have no concrete information about it shows that it's not going to be the flagship release MK8 was or Pkmn LG or SSBU are going to be.
Mario Maker will very likely be the next 2D Mario game to be released. NSMBU will have no effect on the momentum of a new Mario Maker. If you think Nintendo are done with the Mario Maker concept, they are not. There are a lot of ways they could go with it from here that would be equally or more ambitious than a stand-alone 2D Mario.

On top of that there's an argument to be made that NSMBU is probably not a product good enough for Switch when it failed to make WiiU appealing while NSMBW was basically their biggest title and was partly responsible for Wii's unbelievable end of year 2009 performance. I'm saying NSMBW was popular enough that it pushed hardware sales through the roof while NSMBU got a much more tepid reaction.
New Super Mario Bros. U was the third best selling Wii U game at over 5.5 million and literally everything on the Wii U got a much more tepid response in comparison to their Wii counterparts. The game itself is widely considered the best in the NSMB series quality wise.

We already know that releasing to many NSMB games close to each other is a surefire way to make one of them irrelevant (NSMB2/NSMBU) so a 2008 release for a NSMB port would mean no 2D Mario for 2019.
I don't think anyone is going to buy Switches to get to NSMBU as well.
Captain toad and DKCTF shouldn't be used as examples Captain toad didn't even cross 1M on Switch and DKCTF barely sold more than Metroid Prime 2 on WiiU.
NSMBU is in a different place compared to these 2 games and is after all the 2nd best selling WiiU title.
Maybe no one will rush out to get a Switch because of the port, but the point of these ports is for Nintendo to capitalize on lost sales from the Wii U with a ravenous Switch fan base. Captain Toad just released, I'm not sure why you were expecting it to be an instant million seller when the original never shipped a million. That said, I bet it will be by the end of the year, easily. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold incredibly well, surpassing the Wii U sales already in its first quarter and since I think you tried to make the random ass comparison to Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... on Gamecube (not Wii U)... it will easily be 2-3 million seller by the end of its run and far surpass Echoes. These ports are meant to fill in and act as high margin profit rakers, Nintendo knows they aren't the main draw to the system.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I need to give it more of a go, all I know is the main missions are literally structured the same, the dungeons are pretty much Linear A to B pathways and around Chapter 2 I just don't have the will to carry on.

Don't do all 8 characters at a time. Pick 4 characters and get them through chapter 4. Boost the last 4 characters with all your acquired armor, money and sub classes and do it again. It's far less repetitive and more rewarding.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
In the end I think Switch is winning only because of PS4 shortages, that also explains the GoW drop tbh.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Don't do all 8 characters at a time. Pick 4 characters and get them through chapter 4. Boost the last 4 characters with all your acquired armor, money and sub classes and do it again. It's far less repetitive and more rewarding.
You'd spend way more time than necessary grinding for the first 16 chapters, then you'd steamroll all of the bosses for the next 16 chapters in a rushed boost mode. That sounds incredibly boring in both cases.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Second July for different consoles:

Wii: 555K
PS2: 436K
DS: 377K
GBA: 324K
Switch: 263K
PS3: 225K
PS4: 218K
XBO: 189K
X360: 170K
PSP: 161K
Xbox 137K
GC: 127K
3DS: 125K
WiiU: 81K
Vita: 17K

Edit. Added 3DS as I forgot it initially.

Nice, Switch is not breaking records, but it's behind systems that all sold over 100 million (except the GBA, but it still sold 80 million despite getting replaced...I mean third pillared after only three years).

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized if it wasn't for Octopath, GTAV would've been the no. 1 game in NPD. If someone had told me that 5 years ago in Aug 2013 I would've laughed in his face.

I bet against Octopath being #1 this month and had to eat some questionable leftovers as punishment, but I will eat double the back-of-the-fridge leftovers if TWEWY is even in the top 5.

Bookmarked :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nice, Switch is not breaking records, but it's behind systems that all sold over 100 million (except the GBA, but it still sold 80 million despite getting replaced...I mean third pillared after only three years).

To be fair most of the consoles ahead of the Switch released in Q4, so their second July is in their 3rd year, while Switch is in its 2nd year.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tought that ~280k for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was retail only since Nintendo doesn't share digital data with NPD, but based on what Hacker is saying, it's total sales and Octopath including digital is around 260k.

Is that right?

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, people do see the Switch as two systems in one due to it's hybrid nature (Portable and Home), it can be perceived as better value than a stationary Home console like the PS4

November is all about deals, we saw last year how Switch was crushed, but won december.

Honestly I'm not sure that Switch can even outsell the Xbox One in november without deals. If PS4 drop to $199, plus Pro deals, there's no way Switch will beat it without lowering the price.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow i'm so happy for Octopath, i like this game a lot. Also it's not a good look for SQEX that Nintendo (they're publishing in the west, right?) was able to manage the shortages in the west while they're heavily dropping the ball in Japan in this case.

Next months software predictions should be pretty easy for the top spot, i guess. ^^

Thanks. Its honestly been amazing. Other than the fact I've almost forgotten what sleep is

HA! Wait until the little one starts to get a grip on "mobility". Less sleep is one thing, less sleep together the requirement of constant awareness and fast reaction time is where it's at. ^^

But enjoy the time when kids are still small ... and *looking at my eldest* ... fear the puberty.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What? The "debacle" of it being one of the best performing exclusives of all time, what will almost certainly be top 10 placement on the yearly chart, and a game that'll keep selling for years and years? Every other pub and dev wish they could have a "debacle" like that.

The ones that exist are doing pretty darn well. More should exist.

In summer? It's a holiday play, nothing to talk about until then.

Switch is driving software at the moment, and most of that stuff is T and E. The big M rated games will come later in the year and then we'll have to see what happens. But I think it's mostly regression to the mean after a few years where everything was M.
Probably LTTP, but thanks for the confirmation on Switch third parties' doing well. Reading tea leaves is fun and all, but having someone with full insight confirm it is great, too!

When it comes to third party performance, are you seeing differences in levels of performance for differently age rated games? Like, do the Skyrim and dooms perform as well as, or somewhat comparably to, the Just Dances and such?

Or, alternatively, maybe age rating is not the right way to slice up different types of performers on Switch in your opinion? If so, could you indicate if you see any differential performance compared to expectations (or to the Full HD Twins)?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo dominating and people said 2018 was weak for them lol... Just wait until the combo of Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash. Shit is going to be insane!

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Great for Nintendo. Now maybe they can meet their Pachter fiscal year goal of 8 million WW. It will be close, but I believe in them.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I still personally think Nintendo will (and has always planned to) have an aggressive price cut or bundle deal this holiday season. Their confidence in that 20M number seemed to either suggest that they have a fantastic games lineup (which they do, but only towards the tail end of the year which isn't necessarily enough) or that they planned a strong promotion around this holiday.

The other factor is that they're pushing their online subscription service and a lot of online games now, so what revenue they might miss out on from a price cut or bundle can be (at least partially) made up by accruing more subscriptions sooner. Normally Nintendo doesn't have a huge need to try and inflate the install base as early as possible but with a subscription service that changes.

So I could see something like a $299 bundle with SMO or BotW or even those plus Splatoon 2, or maybe even a $275 price cut or bundle. I doubt we'll see a flat $50 price cut but I guess that's also possible.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
When it's all set and done, I believe the Switch will become the best selling console of this gen.
FV9h.gif

It already is.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
November is all about deals, we saw last year how Switch was crushed, but won december.

Honestly I'm not sure that Switch can even outsell the Xbox One in november without deals. If PS4 drop to $199, plus Pro deals, there's no way Switch will beat it without lowering the price.
Nintendo's prices are very consistent all year, those price drops would definitely sell to people waiting for a PS4, but for people wanting a Switch, they just get it when they can without waiting, unless it's a xmas gift that's when Nintendo nails it big

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I picked GTA V a while back after I finally got around to getting a PS4 Pro. It just seems like one of those games you buy.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still personally think Nintendo will (and has always planned to) have an aggressive price cut or bundle deal this holiday season. Their confidence in that 20M number seemed to either suggest that they have a fantastic games lineup (which they do, but only towards the tail end of the year which isn't necessarily enough) or that they planned a strong promotion around this holiday.

The other factor is that they're pushing their online subscription service and a lot of online games now, so what revenue they might miss out on from a price cut or bundle can be (at least partially) made up by accruing more subscriptions sooner. Normally Nintendo doesn't have a huge need to try and inflate the install base as early as possible but with a subscription service that changes.

So I could see something like a $299 bundle with SMO or BotW or even those plus Splatoon 2, or maybe even a $275 price cut or bundle. I doubt we'll see a flat $50 price cut but I guess that's also possible.

I doubt either of those is happening. They will want to profit of the smash pokemon wave as much as possible.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm around for questions.
Hey Mat, I don't know if this has already been questioned, but watching your video, if I buy let's say a 60usd PSN Card so I can buy a 60usd game from PSN Store (the same would happen with Xbox), wouldn't this sale be counted twice, at the ACC & GC segment (the card I bought) and at the PC & Video Games Software (because I bought the game digitally from PSN)?

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt either of those is happening. They will want to profit of the smash pokemon wave as much as possible.

I think subscription revenue is more important to them than a lot of people think, and getting subscriptions early sort of helps ensure the subscriptions last a long time.

You may be right but I think we're going to see a different strategy from Nintendo than we're used to because of this.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
So, how high is the usual Digital % of Games on Nintendo Switch in North America? We would have to factor that in to get a more clear picture in what sold how much. Could be that all Switch games would be ranked way higher if digital sales were included.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, hopefully we get more on the Switch in the future. I'd love to see a sequel/prequel of sorts

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think subscription revenue is more important to them than a lot of people think, and getting subscriptions early sort of helps ensure the subscriptions last a long time.

You may be right but I think we're going to see a different strategy from Nintendo than we're used to because of this.

Do the math. 20 dollars. 50 dollars plus 20 dollars. They would have to substantially increase sales to justify the price drop. They may not even have supply to satisfy such a drop, making it inefficient.
Anyone waiting for a price drop can buy one when it inevitably happens.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do the math. 20 dollars. 50 dollars plus 20 dollars. They would have to substantially increase sales to justify the price drop. They may not even have supply to satisfy such a drop, making it inefficient.
Anyone waiting for a price drop can buy one when it inevitably happens.

Huh? One of the scenarios I was talking about was a $300 bundle with a game. That's not exactly a one to one correspondence with missed revenue. And a $20-$25 price cut would be made up for by a subscription that lasts multiple years.

Nintendo reportedly planned to manufacture 25-30M units for this year, so I'm sure they'll have the supply, especially if a price drop or bundle was baked into their production schedule at the start of the year like I think it was.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I tought that ~280k for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was retail only since Nintendo doesn't share digital data with NPD, but based on what Hacker is saying, it's total sales and Octopath including digital is around 260k.

Is that right?

John does not know digital data for Nintendo game, so no, he is estimating. 280k for Xenoblade was retail only.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Huh? One of the scenarios I was talking about was a $300 bundle with a game. That's not exactly a one to one correspondence with missed revenue. And a $20-$25 price cut would be made up for by a subscription that lasts multiple years.

Nintendo reportedly planned to manufacture 25-30M units for this year, so I'm sure they'll have the supply, especially if a price drop or bundle was baked into their production schedule at the start of the year like I think it was.

A bundle is the only possible scenario imo. The tennis and 1 2 bundle is already an effective discount. Maybe there will be a kart, mario, or zelda bundle for 300. But Im not Betting on it

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A bundle is the only possible scenario imo. The tennis and 1 2 bundle is already an effective discount. Maybe there will be a kart, mario, or zelda bundle for 300. But Im not Betting on it

I think a $300 bundle with an online game like Splatoon 2 seems fairly likely. Especially if the goal is to drive online subs.

But I could also see a very temporary/limited price cut or bundle with two games. I guess we'll find out.