• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Kinda unrelated but I bought a Switch and a Black DS4 just this month.

Altho I live in Argentina, every gaming tech probably comes from NA.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed Spider-Man at #6 on PS4 chart.

Insomniac walking into work every day

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Racing launching on everything and still doing poorly isn't great.
Was also delayed but that didn't seem to help a ton.

Sonic Brand isn't doing super good these days.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That explains why it's so hard to find full online matches for TSR.

RIP. Still pretty amazed that they managed to fuck up the sequel to Transformed.

That was the problem though. For whatever reason they decided they wouldn't make a sequel to Transformed and that a standalone Sonic racing game would do better. I don't know what was the origin of that plan, but it was clearly misguided.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Wow Sonic not even top 10 on Nintendo Switch? That's the biggest surprise here for me. it's already one of my favorite Kart games, so it's sad to see it perform so poorly.

eShop sales are not reported by SEGA, but still not good.

Benji's tweet doesn't say if it's double digits for may or for the year so far.

But Mat's tweet says it's the only system that saw sales increase yoy in may

It's double digits for both May and YTD.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about this month... it's dropping way fast and outsold by 4 evergreens, the fourth of these being #16 on the monthly ranking, while MK11 still topping the charts on other platforms.
Maybe not "terrible" per se, but certainly not great.
With Switch hardware doing so well, it's only to be expected the the evergreens will be doing well too.

Hard to draw conclusions without actual numbers, though.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Days Gone wasn't even #1 on PS4? eeeeee

Sucks MK11 is selling so good, they'll now just up the gore even more and it had already reached turn off levels for me.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Team Sonic Racing... 😵

What happened, Sumo?
To recap:

- There was basically no marketing until a month before release (including going full blackout during the holidays)
- The game was unavailable to preorder digitally, at all
- CTR is coming next month

And the game is currently unavailable on amazon. They couldn't ruin this release further even if they tried, such a shame too since it's a great game.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Sonic Racing performing quite low, I had little doubt already but the CTR remake should outsell it easily. Now with the momentum if Activision can make new solid entries I expect this to keep up and possibly be the most popular mascot platformer after Mario in terms of videogame sales.

At least Sonic still has the memes I guess.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ed Boon Interview before MK11 launches: "I would love to do something other than Mortal Kombat..."

Mortal Kombat 11 sells gangbusters.

I think he and Sakaguchi should get a drink together.
ReasonableImmaterialAegeancat-size_restricted.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering why Team Sonic Racing was half off just a few weeks after release, guess this explains it. Doesn't help that the reviews, while not terrible, weren't amazing.

I know they talked about this "low budget, low price," strategy at SEGA for Sonic games, but I just don't think it's working. All it does is create these Sonic games that are not memorable in any way, that as a result of their mediocrity, still don't sell.

Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Heroes while mediocre games, still had some really great aspects to them (environmental design, music, and some stages being fun to play). From Lost World onward, I don't get the feeling that Sonic games are bad to play, but they just feel so uninteresting that they feel to keep my attention for more than half an hour.

SEGA needs to do better with this franchise, especially after all the positive press it received after Mania.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Great to see Total War: Three Kingdoms up there this month...

Also Anthem being the 4th best selling title this year certainly is something.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at days gone. I expect the second one to be a huge jump in quality. I need to finish the game in the near future.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Was wondering why Team Sonic Racing was half off just a few weeks after release, guess this explains it. Doesn't help that the reviews, while not terrible, weren't amazing.

I know they talked about this "low budget, low price," strategy at SEGA for Sonic games, but I just don't think it's working. All it does is create these Sonic games that are not memorable in any way, that as a result of their mediocrity, still don't sell.

Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Heroes while mediocre games, still had some really great aspects to them (environmental design, music, and some stages being fun to play). From Lost World onward, I don't get the feeling that Sonic games are bad to play, but they just feel so uninteresting that they feel to keep my attention for more than half an hour.

SEGA needs to do better with this franchise, especially after all the positive press it received after Mania.
I think Unleashed bombing so hard is what scared them off making high budget Sonic games. Maybe the success of Crash and Spyro will convince them to give it a proper budget, and time to make a good game.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
NPD US Software - Year-To-Date Timeline - 2019 - May

Observations:

- MK11 takes over the top spot from KH3
- Jump Force drops out of the top 10
- Days Gone enters the top 10 after not charting in its release month, now #8 YTD
- MLB 19 climbs and leaves Sekiro in the dust

Code:
+--------+-+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----------+
| YTD    | | 19-05 | 19-04 | 19-03 | 19-02 | 19-01 | YY-MM-DD |
| MK11   | |   1.  |   2.  |   --  |   --  |   --  | 19-04-23 |
| KH3    | |   2.  |   1.  |   1.  |   1.  |   1.  | 19-01-29 |
| TD2    |^|   3.  |   3.  |   2.  |   --  |   --  | 19-03-12 |
| ANTHEM |^|   4.  |   4.  |   3.  |   2.  |   --  | 19-02-22 |
| RE2    | |   5.  |   5.  |   4.  |   3.  |   2.  | 19-01-25 |
| SSBU   |*|   6.  |   6.  |   7.  |   6.  |   5.  | 18-12-07 |
| RDR2   | |   7.  |   7.  |   5.  |   5.  |   6.  | 18-10-26 |
| DAYSGO | |   8.  |   -.  |   --  |   --  |   --  | 19-04-26 |
| MLB-19 | |   9.  |  10.  |   -.  |   --  |   --  | 19-03-26 |
| SEKIRO |^|  10.  |   8.  |   8.  |   --  |   --  | 19-03-22 |
| JFORCE | |   -.  |   9.  |   6.  |   4.  |   --  | 19-02-15 |
| BO4    |^|   -.  |   -.  |   9.  |   7.  |  4.   | 18-10-12 |
| NSMBUD |*|   -.  |   -.  |  10.  |   8.  |  3.   | 19-01-11 |
| NBA-19 | |   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |   9.  |  8.   | 18-09-11 |
| AC7    | |   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |  10.  |  7.   | 19-01-18 |
| MK8    |*|   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |  9.   | 17-04-28 |
| GTA5   | |   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |   -.  |  10.  | 13-09-17 |

* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super Smash bros Ultimate is the standout game for me here. It's the highest selling non-2019 release, on one platform without both price cuts (not 100% sure on this but it's likely yeah?) and digital sales. It's even outselling several 2019 games, even multi platform 2019 games like Sekiro. Like wow. Could we be seeing potentially 30 million sales here? 20 million is a forgone conclusion at this point after all.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi is showing some decent legs tbh. I wonder if it'll end up outselling Sekiro after all once all is said and done. (I still remember that thread from a few months ago)

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty incredible run for Days Gone. I'll be 100% real and say that I didn't foresee this happening, and quite honestly, I don't understand it. I won't knock a studio for succeeding though, so congrats.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we won't be getting any kind of PR from Sony about Days Gone until it hits some major milestone like 5 million sold. Its got to be between 3 and 4 million sold worldwide by this point.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Super Smash bros Ultimate is the standout game for me here. It's the highest selling non-2019 release, on one platform without both price cuts (not 100% sure on this but it's likely yeah?) and digital sales. It's even outselling several 2019 games, even multi platform 2019 games like Sekiro. Like wow. Could we be seeing potentially 30 million sales here? 20 million is a forgone conclusion at this point after all.

Its December release gives SSBU a good position for performing well in a 2019 YTD chart, but I would not be surprised if it does keep climbing up the chart.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... Looks like MK11 on Switch did terrible...
Days Gone isn't even #1 on PS4 yet still takes #2 overall. Bend and Sony must be pretty happy with it.

XB1 hardware did terrible, PS4 shows it would need a price cut to get back to form.

Edit: Ouch Sekiro... Dropped like a lead balloon.
Days Gone already passed it on yearly on just 1 platform.
I'm here for Days Gone news.

Keep it coming.

Big smile on my face for this game.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Unleashed bombing so hard is what scared them off making high budget Sonic games. Maybe the success of Crash and Spyro will convince them to give it a proper budget, and time to make a good game.

Thing is, Sonic Unleashed DIDN'T do badly. I think by the end of 2010 it sold above 3,000,000 copies. But SEGA for whatever reason was so scared of review scores that they took pretty much every Sonic game from 2005 to 2010 off of store shelves and to this day pretty much never acknowledges that chapter of the franchise's history.

Even up until now, image over performance feels like what SEGA's doing with Sonic these days; from their social media to the games themselves. Sure, Team Sonic Racing didn't receive terrible reviews, but it doesn't look like that translated over into the sales.

You're right on that last point, if SEGA just had the slightest bit of confidence in the franchise and actually gave it a budget again, maybe it would actually both sell and review well.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you a brand new kart racer but 5-year-old Mario Kart 8 outcharts you during your launch month.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm disappointed for Team Sonic Racing. It's a good game. It deserves better.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Thing is, Sonic Unleashed DIDN'T do badly. I think by the end of 2010 it sold above 3,000,000 copies. But SEGA for whatever reason was so scared of review scores that they took pretty much every Sonic game from 2005 to 2010 off of store shelves and to this day pretty much never acknowledges that chapter of the franchise's history.

Even up until now, image over performance feels like what SEGA's doing with Sonic these days; from their social media to the games themselves. Sure, Team Sonic Racing didn't receive terrible reviews, but it doesn't look like that translated over into the sales.

You're right on that last point, if SEGA just had the slightest bit of confidence in the franchise and actually gave it a budget again, maybe it would actually both sell and review well.

This is the biggest issue with the franchise. Altho, Mario&Sonic looks like it has actual budget and is fully priced. Perhaps it will help restore Sonic's reputation. It'd be sad if M&S ends up having more budget than the next mainline game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Not sure why I had in my mind that Unleashed had done something like half a million or so, but I just chekced and you're right. I think it all lies on quality in the end, Sonic Mania was a digital-only small release and still sold over a million copies before the retail version hit the market but as long as we are still getting these low-budget poorly-reviewing games like Forces (that seem to be satisfying SEGA for some reason), sales won't improve and nor will the brand's image. They have this absolutely massive character completely wasted.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see Switch version of MK11 with such significant drop off compared to PS4/XB1 versions.