Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles M

Dec 16, 2017
MatPiscatella great presentation and video on Nov; glad to see it was such a strong month across the board.

I'm particularly curious about BFII sales relative to BFI. There are historical comparisons for #1 (CoD) and #3 (AC), but #2 is conspicuously missing. I know you can't say anything specific... But was it up, down, or pretty flat?

We know from the previously released retail figures that BFII sold 882K copies in the US, including bundles. And we know from the Nov'15 US retail report that BFI sold 2.1M copies, including bundles.

EA has said in earnings calls that coming out of 2015, digital units represent ~30% of total units across platforms (trending up of course, and growing quickly at more than 5%/yr on an absolute basis). Applying a reasonable range of 25-40% around this 30% digital mix figure, we can estimate that BF1 sold 2.8M to 3.5M total units in the US in Nov across retail and digital.

In order for BFII to even be flat vs BF1, this implies digital sales would need to be from 1.9M to 2.4M... meaning the digital mix would have to exceed 2/3rds of all units suddenly.

This seems unlikely... Though not totally impossible, given that digital mix is sometimes 50%+ today.

My guess, given (i) that both CoD and AC had positive historical comparisons and were both highlighted while BF was not, (ii) that digital mix for BFII in Nov could easily be high but that 67%+ seems like it's almost be newsworthy on its own, and (iii) that you've said BFII's sales were "fine" (ie certainly not a disaster as some expected), is that BFII's sales were down, but not massively down. Maybe on the order of ~2M-2.5M total units sold.

If you or anyone can provide even a nod of some kind here, it'd satisfy a burning curiosity for me!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of Battlefront 2 PR leads me to believe its down significantly from Battlefront 1, and to add salt to the wound, they have no season pass or microtransactions to make up for the lost sales so revenue per copy sold is probably way down too.

Charles M

Dec 16, 2017
Does NBA2k have a prayer at taking the #2 spot in december or does Battlefront 2 probably have the spot locked down?

According to Chart-Track, BFII fell out of #2 and down to #4 quickly after release in UK retail. This seems fairly consistent when looking at other available data. A few weeks after release, BFII fell from #2 (or lower) to #4 or lower on Amazon for PS4 and XBO in the US, UK, Canada, and Germany. (I haven't checked more recently). And it fell to #4 or lower on MSFT's Top Paid XBO games list in top territories as well.

So, I don't know if 2K18 will step up. It seems very unlikely. PUBG might do interesting things to the rankings now and FIFA seems strong in Dec. In any case, it doesn't seem certain that BFII is locked in at #2. All the above said, these drops happened prior to the BFII sales that occurred in December... It's been heavily discounted (30%+) on Origin, XBO and PS4.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, 1-8 is identical for PS4 and XB1 and everything is multiplats, and the same month as records are made all over the place. Are exclusives still as important as we used to say?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, 1-8 is identical for PS4 and XB1 and everything is multiplats, and the same month as records are made all over the place. Are exclusives still as important as we used to say?

Exclusives are still very important to Nintendo. But for Sony and MS they aren't the primary drivers of hardware. Look at how big of a bump got from Destiny's launch and compare it to Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Horizon's launches, their bumps were insignificant in comparison.

Microsoft doesn't even bother with true exclusives for Xbox.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives are still very important to Nintendo. But for Sony and MS they aren't the primary drivers of hardware. Look at how big of a bump got from Destiny's launch and compare it to Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Horizon's launches, their bumps were insignificant in comparison.

Sony and MS exclusives do drive hardware the question is how much .
Then again trying to break it down to one game only is stupid so it's the overall game library that matters .
Plus certain part of the world like certain game more than others .

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah but the only reason Nintendo is different is because they're usually struggling to get third party support. Switch seems to correct this though. But we still talk a lot about missing/delayed/cancelled/timed/etc exclusives for PS4 and XB1 as well like it'll boost/ruin the sales, maybe we should stop wasting our time on that?
I guess it can be different in other regions though.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

I think Sony understands that having exclusives in non holiday months is very beneficial. That is why a lot of PS exclusives or consoles exclusives launch in the first 6 months. Holidays are a different story.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Exclusives from Sony get released earlier in the year. So we won't see them matched up with 3rd party games at the end of the year.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the only reason Nintendo is different is because they're usually struggling to get third party support. Switch seems to correct this though. But we still talk a lot about missing/delayed/cancelled/timed/etc exclusives for PS4 and XB1 as well like it'll boost/ruin the sales, maybe we should stop wasting our time on that?

Why ?
The still drive hardware .
Like UC sold huge amount i sure that move some hardware same for GT.
Just because you don't see a huge bump don't mean they don't drive hardware .
Same can be said for Japanese games they don't sell a huge amounts but it all adds up.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017

That's not true. When you have two similar consoles with similar 3rd party support, exclusives are the difference. It doesn't mean that an Horizon would boost hardware sales a lot when it released. But, in the longer term, it will help getting people buy a PS4 instead of and Xbox. And same thing for the other exclusives. I think it is the main reason why the gap between the 2 consoles has been growing faster and faster

If Microsoft thinks they don't need exclusives, they would never be able to compete with Sony

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think Sony understands that having exclusives in non holiday months is very beneficial. That is why a lot of PS exclusives or consoles exclusives launch in the first 6 months. Holidays are a different story.
This. There were like no giant exclusives this holiday season, all of these hot cake multiplats launched over the last 2-3 months and they're some of the biggest games of the year so naturally they're killing it on the most recent NPDs.

Exclusives are still important, maybe not for showing up on these holiday month NPDs but for the rest of the year when it's quieter. I certainly put value in them at least.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Absolute non sense.

Uncharted 4 vastly outsold Destiny 2 on Europe btw and most likely Japan but that doesn't matter right?

Also it's about the whole picture not a single game.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Why ?
The still drive hardware .
Like UC sold huge amount i sure that move some hardware same for GT.
Just because you don't see a huge bump don't mean they don't drive hardware .
Same can be said for Japanese games they don't sell a huge amounts but it all adds up.
Multiplats still drive hardware more, that's what I'm thinking when seeing these figures. And look at the start of the generation when Sony delayed some exclusives and people made fun of them over that (Soony...), well they still had the best multiplat versions and I'm thinking that was the reason it still sold like crazy. Price mattered too of course, still does at this point, but it's interesting to see how the big multiplats can completely squash the first party offerings.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couple things about COD PS4 bundle since it was brought up.

It was easier to find when I brought it up but that's been a little while back. It's a bit slimmer pickings now.

In terms of overall inventory there are far more BF2 bundles in the wild than COD. Like substantially so

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't anything new. Third party run the show during the holidays. Exclusives through the year (as we saw this year) can still sell well and aid hardware movement.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplats still drive hardware more, that's what I'm thinking when seeing these figures. And look at the start of the generation when Sony delayed some exclusives and people made fun of them over that (Soony...), well they still had the best multiplat versions and I'm thinking that was the reason it still sold like crazy. Price mattered too of course, still does at this point, but it's interesting to see how the big multiplats can completely squash the first party offerings.

Yes multiplats drive more hardware but exclusives help when you choosing which platform to buy .
Just like all those other factors you mention
Also what first party offerings came out around this time ?
I expect the biggest games to squash months old 1st party or 3rd party games.

theSwede

Oct 30, 2017

Sony seems to realize there is a huge value added by not launching your games against the "holiday games" like cod/AC/BF, while if you keep launching them during the "slow" months it will also drive people to buy them as they have extra "time/money". It also provides people to not having to chose between PS exclusive vs the big yearly games. And it continues to build their "exclusive" library and only on PS slogan.

Overall a great strategy, sure non exclusives sell better but that does not mean the other games do not help build an more inclusive overall customer experience.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, exclusives sell consoles because PS4 has so many more exclusives it's created a narrative everywhere on social media that PS4 is the place to play.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes multiplats drive more hardware but exclusives help when you choosing which platform to buy .
Just like all those other factors you mention
Also what first party offerings came out around this time ?
I expect the biggest games to squash months old 1st party or 3rd party games.
Forza 7 and GTS came out just a little while ago, people have waited 2 and 4 years for those games, I'm thinking that long awaited exclusives like that should sell well in the long run too and not just days after the release day. I'm just surprised to see the lack of first party games on the lists really, took me by surprise, especially since they're identical on the two platforms as well. I thought FM7 would be higher on that XB1 list, seeing it below NFS is just weird imo, and GTS isn't even on the list. :/

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Forza 7 and GTS came out just a little while ago, people have waited 2 and 4 years for those games, I'm thinking that long awaited exclusives like that should sell well in the long run too and not just days after the release day. I'm just surprised to see the lack of first party games on the lists really, took me by surprise, especially since they're identical on the two platforms as well. I thought FM7 would be higher on that XB1 list, seeing it below NFS is just weird imo, and GTS isn't even on the list. :/

Your in a NPD thread Forza and GT don't sell that great in the USA .
If you look at Europe you can see GT still in top ten .
Racing games in a whole have seen better days in the USA .

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation is the de facto standard console in most parts i the world. So a multiplatform title is often an argument to rather get a PS4 than a other console.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt say exclusives aren't important or that they cant sell well, i just said that things like marketing deals are bigger drivers of playstation and xbox hardware.

The PS4 was breaking records before its big exclusives came out.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Your in a NPD thread Forza and GT don't sell that great in the USA .
If you look at Europe you can see GT still in top ten .
Racing games in a whole have seen better days in the USA .
I know they're selling more in EU but aren't they still multi million sellers in the US as well, GT at least?
Still, I'm really surprised to see the lack of first party games on those lists, with new people buying hardware at lower prices and great bundles I thought we would see the exclusives in particular getting extra sales.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Yep, exclusives sell consoles because PS4 has so many more exclusives it's created a narrative everywhere on social media that PS4 is the place to play.

I think it took Sony 2 years to have critical must own exclusive, Bloodborne. Even longer for a massive exclusive like Uncharted 4. This was already after MS released stuff like Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. I still remember the silly indie station stuff early on.

I'm not saying exclusives don't help but I feel like the price being cheaper, the hardware being better, and the Destiny/CoD marketing deals had a much bigger impact.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It was easier to find when I brought it up but that's been a little while back. It's a bit slimmer pickings now.

In terms of overall inventory there are far more BF2 bundles in the wild than COD. Like substantially so
Yeah thanks, that's expect.
So my assumption is correct, that the limited edition is not restocked!?

We still wait for the inevitable regular CoD: WWII Bundle

Thanks for the correction, his numbers are reliable right? If yes then it seems like digital didn't help much.
Both numbers are correct.
~40% including digital
~60% retail only

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I know they're selling more in EU but aren't they still multi million sellers in the US as well, GT at least?
Still, I'm really surprised to see the lack of first party games on those lists, with new people buying hardware at lower prices and great bundles I thought we would see the exclusives in particular getting extra sales.

Well don't forget the list in revenue base and games drop in price rather faster .
For eg HZD was selling for $20 so unless it sold a huge amount it would be hard to get on the list .

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think it took Sony 2 years to have critical must own exclusive, Bloodborne. Even longer for a massive exclusive like Uncharted 4. This was already after MS released stuff like Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Sunset Overdrive. I still remember the silly indie station stuff early on.

I'm not saying exclusives don't help but I feel like the price being cheaper, the hardware being better, and the Destiny/CoD marketing deals had a much bigger impact.

Bloodborne release 23 mars 2015. It is less than one years and a half after PS4 release...

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Does there have to be an exclusive in the top 10 every month for exclusives to be important?

Sony released several exclusives this year, most of which made the top 10 for their respective month. Horizon, Nioh, NieR, Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts, Crash, MLB The Show. GTS was just outside at 11 in a busy month.

More diversification leads to more sales. So yes, exclusives are important.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So was the stock really limited or the demand was pretty high? and how is the PS4 overall sales going on?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

wouldn't say switch has "corrected" it. Better than Wii U at least.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A console sells based on a combination of all its attributes. Price, slate of games, product quality/tech specs, branding/marketing, distribution...

Saying "x sells consoles" isn't the case. The total product offering is what makes things sell the way they do.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that's how I feel too, I certainly didn't buy a PS4 at launch for the exclusives, I bought it because I wanted the best of the best on console. Uncharted 4 was the first PS4 exclusive I truly fell in love with, that was 3 years after the launch, the rest before it was good but not on the same level that you must be insane to not want it. But PS4 always delivered on multiplats and that was enough for me to still be fully satisfied with the console. Same reason I think Xbox One X is a purty little beast right now.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A console sells based on a combination of all its attributes. Price, slate of games, product quality/tech specs, branding/marketing, distribution...

Saying "x sells consoles" isn't the case. The total product offering is what makes things sell the way they do.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.