Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like you guys talk about this:
cyber-monday-top-sellers-by-retailer@2x.jpg

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry. Let's compare Nintendo and Sony's first data points (Nintendo Q1/13 to Sony Q3/08. Let's use it to see if Nintendo follows the trend Sony established.
This is not a very good comparison at all, since Nintendo has the advantage of starting reporting years later, when digital spend was overall higher, across all products and markets. So I couldn't be bothered to regraph, and you'll have to deal with a rough edit of the current chart.

Even with the above immense bias in their favor, Nintendo's digital sales lag behind after the first year, and show no real positive trend at all.
digital4vucj.png

Keep in mind that all the Nintendo quarters are being compared to PS3 generation, not the current gen. Even without PS4's success, Sony's digital growth strongly outpaced Nintendo's.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Current PS4/XB1 digital adoption isn't even in line with the PS4/XB1 from 2014, when digital accounted for just 10-15% of sales, so of course they aren't in line with the PS3/360 and that's my point. The PS4/XB1 were a lot closer to the PS3/360 in 2013 than they are now in 2017 and both companies spent years getting where they are now. So logically, the Switch is likely closer to the Wii U than it is to the PS4/XB1 because the idea any marketplace's digital adoption suddenly doubling overnight is completely ridiculous, especially when there's so many factors going against it that Stilton Disco listed above.

Also, since you keep bringing it up, by saying "probably" you're still saying "I'm right but there's a small chance I'm wrong" and that's still a ridiculous thing to say when you have no evidence to back up your argument.

I've never said I'm right and I've even stated it's very possible Nintendo's digital ratio falls behind PS4/X1. I did explain how I came to that figure and why I used the digital ratio.

I stated probably because we don't have actual data and I wanted it to be clear that it was an estimate as I could be wrong, but go ahead and keep putting words into my mouth.

PS4 bundle moved up to #3 on hourly, but it seems to be fluctuating in the top 5. 3 is the peak so far.

Kinda expected. Will be interesting to see if they can close the gap while it's on sale.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
This is not a very good comparison at all, since Nintendo has the advantage of starting reporting years later, when digital spend was overall higher, across all products and markets. So I couldn't be bothered to regraph, and you'll have to deal with a rough edit of the current chart.

Even with the above immense bias in their favor, Nintendo's digital sales lag behind after the first year, and show no real positive trend at all.
digital4vucj.png

Keep in mind that all the Nintendo quarters are being compared to PS3 generation, not the current gen. Even without PS4's success, Sony's digital growth strongly outpaced Nintendo's.
Thanks,

I was just trying to oberserve even with the bias if Nintendo was trending int hte same direction. This just looks very flat.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's eShop revenue. But tbh Nintendo has really missed the boat in building out its digital ecosystem. The below is what Sony have done with PSN vs what Nintendo have done with the eShop.
So a lot of opportunity for Nintendo in the future. But missed opportunity in the past too.

View attachment 60

Sorry if it's obvious, but does this include revenue from subscription services like PSN or just revenue from digital purchases?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really compare NIN dig revs directly with Sony and MS. They don't have a subscription service like Gold or PS+ yet, and they don't sell a ton of DLC/MTX. Lot of room for growth in this area for Nintendo, and with the reports from indies that Switch is their best selling platform along with a much improved eshop experience compared to Wii U it's really just a matter of time.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really compare NIN dig revs directly with Sony and MS. They don't have a subscription service like Gold or PS+ yet, and they don't sell a ton of DLC/MTX. Lot of room for growth in this area for Nintendo, and with the reports from indies that Switch is their best selling platform along with a much improved eshop experience compared to Wii U it's really just a matter of time.

I think the question is when Nintendo going to get everything in order .
Wii U came out and went with no proper online service same for 3DS .
You would think they would have everything right with switch but that not the case.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

PSN in Q3 2009 (before PS+) had higher revenue than digital revenue of Nintendos last quarter (that includes Switch). That is 8 years ago and that is eternity when we think about digital adoption. No doubt Switch has made some gains compared to past Nintendo platforms but by all accounts it should be still way behind PS and Xbox.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PSN in Q3 2009 (before PS+) had higher revenue than digital revenue of Nintendos last quarter (that includes Switch). That is 8 years ago and that is eternity when we think about digital adoption. No doubt Switch has made some gains compared to past Nintendo platforms but by all accounts it should be still way behind PS and Xbox.

That's crazy wow

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I've never said I'm right and I've even stated it's very possible Nintendo's digital ratio falls behind PS4/X1. I did explain how I came to that figure and why I used the digital ratio.

I stated probably because we don't have actual data and I wanted it to be clear that it was an estimate as I could be wrong, but go ahead and keep putting words into my mouth.
Yes but your explanation doesn't really hold up when you take all the factors into account, as I and a few others have pointed out. I'd go as far as saying there's no chance Switch digital adoption is in line with PS4/XB1.

And I didn't put words in your mouth, that's what probably means. Maybe you meant "possibly" instead?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Looking at the total digital revenue can be misleading. A more accurate comparison would be between the digital revenue per customer between two platforms. Switch was under 8m in the last financial report, the PS3 was far above that.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the total digital revenue can be misleading. A more accurate comparison would be between the digital revenue per customer between two platforms. Switch was under 8m in the last financial report, the PS3 was far above that.

Nintendos recent digital figure includes 3DS, Switch and WiiU. That is over 90 million units of hardware. Not to mention that we are talking about 2009 compared to 2017. Just look how Sonys gaming divisions digital revenue has grown from recent Zhuges post across these years. There is no way around it. Nintendo has been way behind when it comes to digital revenue.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a rough estimate of PS4 and Xbox One LTD sales so far in the US including November's sales?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendos recent digital figure includes 3DS, Switch and WiiU. That is over 90 million units of hardware. Not to mention that we are talking about 2009 compared to 2017. Just look how Sonys gaming divisions digital revenue has grown from recent Zhuges post across these years. There is no way around it. Nintendo has been way behind when it comes to digital revenue.

Yeah I mean on that point no one should disagree. Historically Nintendo has been way behind. Now the interesting question is whether the Switch is catching up on that front. I think it might but there are obstacles to overcome (online infrastructure, storage size...).

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean on that point no one should disagree. Historically Nintendo has been behind. Now the interesting question is whether the Switch is catching up on that front.

Well obviously they have made some gains (because they were so ridiculously behind) but when you have lower digital revenue during second quarter of 2017 than your competition had in during third quarter of 2009 you are also obviously way way behind (when we factor the insane growth of digital adoption between these years). It's interesting to see how Nintendos digital revenue continues to grow with Switch but at this moment they are still way way behind.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but your explanation doesn't really hold up when you take all the factors into account, as I and a few others have pointed out. I'd go as far as saying there's no chance Switch digital adoption is in line with PS4/XB1.

And I didn't put words in your mouth, that's what probably means. Maybe you meant "possibly" instead?

Possibly may have been a better choice but I think it was clear that we didn't have actual figures and that it was an estimate and that it could be incorrect.

I do disagree there is no chance Nintendo's digital adoption rate is inline with PS4/X1. It's possible it's behind but I also think it's likely that it's significantly improved since the Wii U/3DS.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly may have been a better choice but I think it was clear that we didn't have actual figures and that it was an estimate and that it could be incorrect.

I do disagree there is no chance Nintendo's digital adoption rate is inline with PS4/X1. It's possible it's behind but I also think it's likely that it's significantly improved since the Wii U/3DS.
Again, PS4/XB1 digital adoption was at 10-15% in 2014. It took YEARS to get where they are now and that's with far better regarded networks than anything Nintendo's ever done online. Sure, Switch digital adoption probably is significantly improved on the Wii U and 3DS but that doesn't mean it's suddenly comparable to the PS4/XB1.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We still don't have a third party game on Switch that has sold 1M physical worldwide, right? I'd guess Minecraft has, but we haven't heard whether or not Mario + Rabbids reached that number right?

It would be kind of amazing if Skyrim is the first physical title to reach that number.

A 3rd party developed game selling over 1 million on a Nintendo system isn't impressive to me.

A AAA multiplat selling over 1 million on a Nintendo system would be the shocker!

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has went all out with their first party and released multiple heavy hitters. Not only that but they've all been highly rated and advertised heavily. 3rd parties basically haven't even shown up on switch yet outside of late ports. Im sure 1st party SW will always perform very strongly on switch but late ports were never going to compete with Nintendos big guns.

Not even timely ports with full parity can compete with Nintendo big guns on Nintendo systems

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually it's a much simpler explanation. We don't "own" the data in the US, the participating publishers and retailers do. Therefore It can't be shared unless authorized.

It can't be the publishers...they allow media create to give weekly numbers of both software and hardware, don't they?

Unless you are saying publishers are just more protective of US data than Japanese data?

[edit: I guess you kind answered later on as I read through the thread...you aren't really sure :P]

Last edited:

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo's exclusives were on PS4 or XBO, the same would probably be true for those systems as well.

You mean COD wouldn't be able to compete with Nintendo game sales on Xbox/ps?

I disagree. COD/gTA/FIFA would still be the best sellers on Xbox/ps because too much of Xbox/ps exclusives are very similar to Western AAA multiplats.

On Nintendo systems, 99% of the exclusives are very "Nintendo-y" :P the only multiplats that can compete there are ones that are also arcadey/japanese-y in nature.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You mean COD wouldn't be able to compete with Nintendo game sales on Xbox/ps?

I disagree. COD/gTA/FIFA would still be the best sellers on Xbox/ps because too much of Xbox/ps exclusives are very similar to Western AAA multiplats.

On Nintendo systems, 99% of the exclusives are very "Nintendo-y" :P the only multiplats that can compete there are ones that are also arcadey/japanese-y in nature.

No, I mean that PlayStation or Xbox systems would essentially have Nintendo's userbase as well as their own. In this hypothetical scenerio, Nintendo is a 3rd party developer, and Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey would only be available for the PS4 or XBO and would still have all the critical acclaim that they do now. You can throw a new exclusive Pokemon and Mario Kart in there too.

Under those specific circumstances, the lifetime sales of those games would likely far exceed those of any other titles on either system.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
No, I mean that PlayStation or Xbox systems would essentially have Nintendo's userbase as well as their own. In this hypothetical scenerio, Nintendo is a 3rd party developer, and Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey would only be available for the PS4 or XBO and would still have all the critical acclaim that they do now. You can throw a new exclusive Pokemon and Mario Kart in there too.

Under those specific circumstances, the lifetime sales of those games would likely far exceed those of any other titles on either system.
How so? The FIFA/GTA/CoD audiences wouldn't just start buying Mario or Pokemon instead, they'd still buy FIFA/GTA/CoD.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are all 3 hardware companies basically against telling sales numbers?

They don't seem to care about letting their sales numbers out in Japan :P

I guess it's more of a retailer thing than a publisher/hardware company thing.

In Japan, they even break down family systems sales numbers to how many Ps4 pros and how many 2ds xl's have sold...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
How so? The FIFA/GTA/CoD audiences wouldn't just start buying Mario or Pokemon instead, they'd still buy FIFA/GTA/CoD.

They don't need to. I believe some of the PlayStation or Xbox userbase would buy those Nintendo titles in addition to the Nintendo userbase on that system. In other words, the overall userbase for those games would grow (given the acclaim and popularity of those titles).

PlayStation and Xbox users might not buy a Nintendo system that has critically acclaimed titles, but I imagine they could be interested in those titles if they released on a system they already own.

Again, this has nothing to do with those multiplat games you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.