• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2017
Sony and MS digital revenue is a lot because of their cuts from 3rd party games which is completely not there in Nintendo platform (other than some indies and ports even those won't big enough as they will be few indies which have sold better than others but you have to consider other platforms have a way many options to choose for users in games compared to limited in Switch) and its hard to compete without 3rd party. Nintendo will never catch up PS/XB in online as Sony and MS are moving at faster pace than Nintendo who still do not have proper online and might take another year or two to roll out their online by then PS/XB will have even more powerful online infrastructure from next generation.

Nintendo will always be a generation back compared to others in every way, and their strengths are only IP's which will be bring good profits due to insane attach ratios, but not growth to their platform in the same vein of Sony/MS ever in 3rd party as they lost this track long time ago which is not easy to fix, because competition is not sitting idle and they are more powerful due to long term relationships with 3rd party publishers and fan base with IP association.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They don't need to. I believe some of the PlayStation or Xbox userbase would buy those Nintendo titles in addition to the Nintendo userbase on that system. In other words, the overall userbase for those games would grow (given the acclaim and popularity of those titles).

PlayStation and Xbox users might not buy a Nintendo system that has critically acclaimed titles, but I imagine they could be interested in those titles if they released on a system they already own.

Again, this has nothing to do with those multiplat games you're referring to.

If those Nintendo games were on the PS4 or X1, they would be competing against a lot more games for people's money and would lose sales. Higher installbase doesn't automatically mean higher software sales.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's eShop revenue. But tbh Nintendo has really missed the boat in building out its digital ecosystem. The below is what Sony have done with PSN vs what Nintendo have done with the eShop.
So a lot of opportunity for Nintendo in the future. But missed opportunity in the past too.

View attachment 60

Is it just a coincidence that PSN revenue took off the year they started charging for services?

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
digital4vucj.png

Keep in mind that all the Nintendo quarters are being compared to PS3 generation, not the current gen. Even without PS4's success, Sony's digital growth strongly outpaced Nintendo's.

Makes sense...the 3ds was the software sales driver for Nintendo during that period you are comparing...not only just cheaper games on average than the PS3, but I would imagine much less digital adoption than a home console with large hard drives.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of 2016 the gap was already above 1.7 million
I think that's his point. Accruing that 1.7m gap over Xbox One took the PS4 more than three years.

In the first 11 months of 2017, it increased the gap by a further ~1.3m. That's a notable acceleration, especially for Microsoft's strongest territory.

Makes sense...the 3ds was the software sales driver for Nintendo during that period you are comparing...not only just cheaper games on average than the PS3, but I would imagine much less digital adoption than a home console with large hard drives.
Yes, there are definitely reasons why Nintendo has done so very poorly in this area.

And please try to avoid triple posting.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry if it's obvious, but does this include revenue from subscription services like PSN or just revenue from digital purchases?

Indeed. It shows how Sony has been able to monetise its online platform directly and provide third parties a way to monetise beyond the initial full game sale too. So not only has growth come from full game downloads, but all these other areas too.

Is it just a coincidence that PSN revenue took off the year they started charging for services?

That's certainly part of it. But as above, it all adds up.

And yes, please stop double and triple posting. This forum has a multi quote feature and edit feature. I'd recommend clicking the quote button on each post you want to quote and reading all posts before making your own.

Thank you.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If those Nintendo games were on the PS4 or X1, they would be competing against a lot more games for people's money and would lose sales. Higher installbase doesn't automatically mean higher software sales.

Considering that we already have figures of Nintendo titles on a very healthy install base that released in a very competitive environment on a single platform (the Nintendo Wii), I think it's safe to say that even factoring in potential lost sales (mostly from 1st party games competing against themselves), it would still yield a net positive result in Nintendo's favor.

Look at the top 10 video game sales of all time

1 Tetris
Dagger-14-plain.png
12px-Hash-trans.png
Elektronorgtechnica Spectrum HoloByte June 6, 1984 Multi-platform 170,000,000 [2]
2 Minecraft
Dagger-14-plain.png
12px-Hash-trans.png
Mojang Mojang November 18, 2011 Multi-platform 122,000,000 [5]
3 Grand Theft Auto V
Dagger-14-plain.png
Rockstar North Rockstar Games September 17, 2013 Multi-platform 85,000,000 [8]
4 Wii Sports
Dagger-14-plain.png
Nintendo EAD Nintendo November 19, 2006 Wii 82,830,000 [6]
5 Super Mario Bros.
Dagger-14-plain.png
Nintendo R&D4 Nintendo September 13, 1985 NES 40,240,000 [9]
6 Mario Kart Wii
Dagger-14-plain.png
Nintendo EAD Nintendo April 10, 2008 Wii 37,020,000 [6]
7 Wii Sports Resort
Dagger-14-plain.png
Nintendo EAD Nintendo June 25, 2009 Wii 33,060,000 [6]
8 Pokémon Red, Green and Blue Game Freak Nintendo February 27, 1996 Game Boy 31,380,000 [10]
9 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo EAD Nintendo May 15, 2006 Nintendo DS 30,800,000 [11]
10 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Dagger-14-plain.png
Nintendo EAD Nintendo November 11, 2009 Wii 30,110,000

Many of those Wii titles were competing against each other (so sales were lost) but they STILL sold a shit ton. In fact, they've sold more than most multiplat AAA titles combined with the exception of GTAV. So while higher install base doesn't guarantee higher sales, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a higher baseline of sales compared to other titles on the platform. If you brought the Wii's userbase over to the PS4 or XBO, there's very little doubt in my mind that they would completely dominate the platform.

And before you mention the fact that some of those titles were bundled, there's no reason why they couldn't be bundled with the PS4 or XBO alternatively.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. It shows how Sony has been able to monetise its online platform directly and provide third parties a way to monetise beyond the initial full game sale too. So not only has growth come from full game downloads, but all these other areas too.

That's certainly part of it. But as above, it all adds up.

And yes, please stop double and triple posting. This forum has a multi quote feature and edit feature. I'd recommend clicking the quote button on each post you want to quote and reading all posts before making your own.

Thank you.

Thanks for confirming. Seems like they are poised to grow that digital revenue in the upcoming years at least.

From my understanding, digital downloads are less popular in Japan. Japan was 3DS strongest market and Wii U was just poor everywhere. Switch being a stronger platform in Western regions should help along with other things like a paid subscription service.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the same amazon we used to surmise the Switch was the best selling hardware in November?

You only have you to blame for that, I said multiple times that Black Friday would make Xbox and Playstation outsell Switch by hundred of thousands, my prediction was pretty close on Ps4 and Xbox but still off on Switch.

Just stating that it is doing great on Amazon nothing else.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
So it seems PS4 WW2 bundle is also on sale for $249 at GameStop Bestbuy and Walmart. Basically all Slim's are on sale. That WW2 bundle should make a big impact now that COD seems to be back.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
CoD bundle being discounted should help but I still doubt it'll be enough to recover the gap created during the weeks without a discount. Certainly looking like it could be a lot closer though

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. This has me thinking the PS4 could be #1 in December again. The CoD bundle being discounted seems like a bigger deal than the BFII one.
It is, but the question is the stock situation.
It's a limited edition bundle. Amazon.com for example is already sold out of the CoD bundle since forever.
Maybe some retailer insider could say if they're even restocked in December, which i doubt.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benji said it was easy to find. Stock should not be a huge issue.
I know, but there is a huge! difference between easy to find and having 300k stock in the wild that will run out for one SKU, or easy to find and having 500k stock in the wild that's being replenished constantly for another SKU.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
December NPD will be the hard to predict after this PS4 sales, can it sell enough to overcome huge Switch lead of Cyber Monday and the rest of December?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
December NPD will be the hard to predict after this PS4 sales, can it sell enough to overcome huge Switch lead of Cyber Monday and the rest of December?

Indeed, and I think the other issue with the Amazon rankings is that the Switch has been in and out of stock on Amazon all month. They didn't really run into stock issues in November but it seems like it's happening now.

No idea what the ranking is gonna look like this month, but we can be sure that the Switch and PS4 will both be selling very well. Hopefully XB1 too.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Why are they stupid? That's why they're bundling it with the X isn't it? It should make the X sales increase massively as you point out it's the best selling game this year. I don't understand your reply to be honest, what other game have they got that is as popular and such a sales juggurnaut as pubg that would shift the X? I thought software sold hardware?

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I believe that post was being sarcastic :)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how rdr2 does. If its half as well as gtav then it will be the 2nd best selling game of the generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.