• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it, Era?

• RTX Refresh

Votes: 315 21.6%
  • New Titan

Votes: 448 30.7%
  • Super Switch

Votes: 696 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Why would they make a teaser "hype buzz" Nvidia promo for the Nintendo Switch?

Just because they provide the Tegra to Nintendo doesn't mean this shit makes sense.

Miasma

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A $3-4k Titan that is more gaming focused, would fit with their current overpriced lineup. I believe the current Titan V is geared more towards AI learning and isn't it still Volta?

Or a super 2080 Ti starting at $1500 with 95% of cards $1800-2000.
No there was a titan refresh called Titan RTX, I am really stumped as to what this announcement will be.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they make a teaser "hype buzz" Nvidia promo for the Nintendo Switch?

Just because they provide the Tegra to Nintendo doesn't mean this shit makes sense.

If it is Switch related it could be a coordinated reveal.

I recall people assuming Nvidia was going to roll out an X2 based shield TV and upstage the Switch right around the time Switch was about to launch in 2017. Instead they revealed a redesigned Shield TV with the same X1 SoC l . So there's clearly coordination behind the scenes

If the revised Switch is real and it's moved to a new node then it makes sense for Nvidia to roll out their shield tv revision using the same chip. Branding could be "super" for both

Super Tegra / Super Shield / Super Switch?

Nov 5, 2017
If it is Switch related it could be a coordinated reveal.

I recall people assuming Nvidia was going to roll out an X2 based shield TV and upstage the Switch right around the time Switch was about to launch in 2017. Instead they revealed a redesigned Shield TV with the same X1 SoC l . So there's clearly coordination behind the scenes

If the revised Switch is real and it's moved to a new node then it makes sense for Nvidia to roll out their shield tv revision using the same chip. Branding could be "super" for both

Super Tegra / Super Shield / Super Switch?

WSJ via Nikkei reported that the upgraded Switch won't be released until 2H19, if I recall correctly. If this is the case, this "Super" announcement is clearly not the upgraded Switch.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, can't believe they're releasing a SNES with Ray Tracing support!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and this is the "cheaper" model that is going to be released soon. I don't think the word "super" implies cheap.
It's probably the same soc for both

The.pro model will just be overclocked with the same fan and heatsink setup. Portable cheaper model will be passively cooled like a phone but running at OG clocks

That's been the most plausible explanation for the two model rumors we've heard.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't actually think it will be a Switch, I voted for it anyway because "Super" on one of Nvidia's GPUs just feels weird.

I feel like it's probably actually a new Shield, which would actually be decently likely to at least have the same chip as a Switch Pro.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably just forgetting but I was hoping someone could remind me the last time the GPU hardware provider announced a Nintendo console?

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Could be something really weird and basic like when they did the Star Wars branded Titan XP. Or maybe it's something super out of left field, like say announcing a new 7nm Titan for later this year. Or, it could be something like MaxQ, Gsync, etc and be new branding for some kind of peripheral. Who knows!

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Technically it is, but wouldn't Nintendo want to announce it at their E3 Direct? Why would Nintendo let Nvidia steal their thunder? It makes no sense!

Nintendo has not in the recent past announced products at E3. As announcements for both the "new" line of 2DS/3DS systems skipped E3 and announced separately. They are also usually released within a month or so from announcement.

I doubt this 'Super" teaser is Nintendo related directly. But it could be something regarding their Shield devices which likely will hint at what a Switch revision processor would be.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
If it weren't for that video, I'd wonder if maybe it was something around that weird Super Mario Galaxy port that was done for the Nvidia Shield in China. But that video seems to imply hardware, so I dunno.

Jul 26, 2018
I've just built my first gaming PC with the RTX 2070 last November. I play at 1440p, and always wanted the 2080TI. I was planning to buy it soon but now I guess ill have to wait.

Hopefully it's a improvement from the RTX especially the terrible ray tracing performances on all cards. I've never even bothered to turn on ray tracing with my 2070 wither... But if it's a switch, i'm down for that!

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to buy a new card so heres hoping this is something like that lol. I was going to cave and get a 2080ti, but maybe I can get something better now.

Nov 8, 2017
We might be getting a look at what's inside the new switch though

If it's a chip Nvidia intends to use for many tasks (thus this announcement isn't just a look into what Nintendo might use), then I couldn't imagine it being anything other than Turing arch. But I'm not convinced Nitendo would do that for a revision. If this is a look into a Nintendo bespoke chip of some kind it would be super wierd for Nvidia to tease it before Nintendo did.

Wait and see I guess!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could announce the switch refresh through a YouTube video the same day nvidia announces the new Tegra or the day after

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I see no reason why NVidia would explicitly advertise and tease a Nintendo branded and produced product even if they're supplying the silicon as they did the baseline Switch. It doesn't fit NVidia's marketing history wherein they overtly brand and market products that they don't technically have any control of. This is far more likely to be some NVidia specific related product.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Those "Super Switch" guesses may not have been far off. The "Super" teaser might have actually been for the Tegra X1 Super Chip.

I'd imagine that this would be for an upcoming Nvidia Shield, but I could see Nintendo using this for a more powerful Switch later down the road.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Linus' comment at the end about not being able to show everything that he had seen didn't come across as teasing something, but it could possibly be "Super G-Sync" since ASUS recently announced a monitor which combines FreeSync with strobing: https://www.blurbusters.com/strobed...ync-simultaneous-freesync-and-blur-reduction/

A new Shield certainly seems plausible.

Does ULMB still cause the screen to severely darken? I had tried it in the past but couldn't get over the brightness issue.

EDIT: answered my own question:

...called Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB-SYNCâ„¢). Previous solutions to combat motion blur relied on a fixed refresh rate and fast strobing backlight to achieve a 1ms (MPRT) response time. Motion blur reduction works by strobing the backlight between refreshes, while also turning up the display's brightness to help compensate for the reduced luminance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.