cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

WASHINGTON — A White House national security official who is a decorated Iraq war veteran plans to tell House impeachment investigators on Tuesday that he heard President Trump appeal to Ukraine's president to investigate one of his leading political rivals, a request the aide considered so damaging to American interests that he reported it to a superior.
Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman of the Army, the top Ukraine expert on the National Security Council, twice registered internal objections about how Mr. Trump and his inner circle were treating Ukraine, out of what he called a "sense of duty," he plans to tell the inquiry, according to a draft of his opening statement obtained by The New York Times.
He will be the first White House official to testify who listened in on the July 25 telephone call between Mr. Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine that is at the center of the impeachment inquiry, in which Mr. Trump asked Mr. Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.
"I did not think it was proper to demand that a foreign government investigate a U.S. citizen, and I was worried about the implications for the U.S. government's support of Ukraine," Colonel Vindman said in his statement. "I realized that if Ukraine pursued an investigation into the Bidens and Burisma it would likely be interpreted as a partisan play which would undoubtedly result in Ukraine losing the bipartisan support it has thus far maintained."
Burisma Holdings is an energy company on whose board Mr. Biden's son served while his father was vice president.
"This would all undermine U.S. national security," Colonel Vindman added, referring to Mr. Trump's comments in the call.
The colonel, a Ukrainian-American immigrant who received a Purple Heart after being wounded in Iraq by a roadside bomb and whose statement is full of references to duty and patriotism, could be a more difficult witness to dismiss than his civilian counterparts.
"I am a patriot," Colonel Vindman plans to tell the investigators, "and it is my sacred duty and honor to advance and defend our country irrespective of party or politics."
He was to be interviewed privately on Tuesday by the House Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight and Reform Committees, in defiance of a White House edict not to cooperate with the impeachment inquiry.

More in the link.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It is my sacred duty and honor to advance and defend our country irrespective of party or politics.

Respect.

This is supposed to be the duty of anyone who takes the oath of office.

In general, Republicans have made a mockery of that oath.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The colonel, a Ukrainian-American immigrant who received a Purple Heart after being wounded in Iraq by a roadside bomb and whose statement is full of references to duty and patriotism, could be a more difficult witness to dismiss than his civilian counterparts.

Somehow I don't think that'll stop them trying

Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna give this guy--and his family and friends--hell.

This dude went to work every day since the call, knowing that a bunch of the people he was working with knew he made formal complaints, and hate him for snitching.

I commend this dude for coming forward and putting his career and reputation on the line to let America know what kind of bullshit is going on in their name

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The framing here is powerful. This isn't just the President getting a foreign nation to dig up dirt on his political opponent, but that opponent is an *American citizen* who they are all sworn to protect.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Ehhh, this is more characterization of what we already know. Tailor's testimony was the most damaging.
This is a military man , an office of the American army, the only institution that republicans don't publicly throw under the bus. This is an active member of the military. Republicans have so far resisted throwing one of the army folks into their wrecking bus , they do this and they cross their own holy line of not slandering their active soldiers

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
This is a military man , an office of the American army, the only institution that republicans don't publicly throw under the bus. This is an active member of the military. Republicans have so far resisted throwing one of the army folks into their wrecking bus , they do this and they cross their own holy line of not slandering their active soldiers
Yet

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I really think it's important to stress the importance of Ukraine as an ally, and that they are literally at war with Russia. And how it's patriotic, non-partisan like this Lt. Colonel (or even die-hard Republicans, if Bolton testifies) who felt obligated to report Trump's treasonous actions.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bet this is one of the guys that gave the whistleblower the information about the call. Trump's "spy" has a purple heart.

Ordinarily I would say that a politician wouldn't dare criticize a vet with a purple heart, but we all remember how this jackass treated the Khans.

Edit: Oh, his statement says he doesn't know the whistleblower. So we still have several others that are out there who listened to the call and were troubled by it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be excellent seeing the GOP lose every wall they try to rah rah behind. They'll be attacking intelligence officers, judges, and now literal army serviceman.

'Law and Order"

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Member of the NSC? He's a deep state bureaucrat connected to Clapper and Brennan and probably knows Bruce Ohr!!!" - likely Jim Jordan

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
L

"I like veterans that didn't get injured in wartime"

Oct 27, 2017
I need to know what Bolton was thinking/doing during all of this

He was getting sidelined by Pompeo and Kushner, because SA is scared shitless of fighting a war against Iran without Daddy America to provide an army. To add insult to injury, Giuliani and his low rent eurotrash goons were grifting and setting themselves up as the back-channel to Trump.

OP
OP
cameron

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

"I stated to Amb. Sondland that his statements were inappropriate" and that the "request to investigate Biden and his son had nothing to do with national security, and that such investigations were not something the N.S.C. was going to get involved in or push," Vindman added. https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1188982545200885761 …

9:35 PM - Oct 28, 2019

Kate Brannen @K8brannen

Ambassador Sondland testified that neither Fiona Hill, nor John Bolton nor anyone else on the NSC staff ever raised any misgivings about what was going on. https://www.npr.org/2019/10/17/770714277/read-gordon-sondlands-opening-statement-to-congress …

jT58PLU.jpg

9:47 PM - Oct 28, 2019

Oops.

fdruDdX.jpg

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
"We hold our military in the highest regard for their honor and sense of duty."

*military officer reports troubling information of morally compromised political talks*

"How dare he."

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tailor served in Vietnam and was still thrown under the bus.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't believe Sondland went ahead with his bullshit. He HAD to have known he was going to get got by the other witnesses. Especially because on the actual eve of his testimony we learned some things that were going to directly contradict his opening statement that he hadn't even made yet.

Sondland needs to be made an example of before we move to public hearings.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
This may not Be the most revealing testimony, but it will be the hardest for republicans to dismiss. A first hand account, and a decorated military man on top of it?

Good luck

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch multiple generals and all gop senators stay silent while trump and his croneys drag a decorated war hero through the mud.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I can only imagine how much Trump will debase himself coming up with an insult for an active soldier in his cabinet.

Oct 27, 2017

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

"I stated to Amb. Sondland that his statements were inappropriate" and that the "request to investigate Biden and his son had nothing to do with national security, and that such investigations were not something the N.S.C. was going to get involved in or push," Vindman added. https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1188982545200885761 …

9:35 PM - Oct 28, 2019

Kate Brannen @K8brannen

Ambassador Sondland testified that neither Fiona Hill, nor John Bolton nor anyone else on the NSC staff ever raised any misgivings about what was going on. https://www.npr.org/2019/10/17/770714277/read-gordon-sondlands-opening-statement-to-congress …

jT58PLU.jpg

9:47 PM - Oct 28, 2019

Oops.

fdruDdX.jpg

This about sums it up

fdru-Dd-X-01.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
At this point anyone not a soulless toady has said "this is fucked up"

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All it takes is one phone call. This man could be threatened any kind of way. Fuck the GOP!

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Entering the nightmare Zone for the average Republican Congressman. The Jim Jordans and Matt Gaetz are never going to change but this stuff keeps piling up and its getting harder and harder to turn a blind eye too

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I hope he does. He will loose a lot of support.

Remember waaaay back in 2016 when a Trump blasted the parents of that Muslim soldier who sacrificed himself to Dave his unit because they supported Hillary? His cronies blasted them as america hating terrorists? Remember how little that hurt him?

Don't expect too much from Americans.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
trump has already publicly shit on POWs and his base didn't care. this will similarly do nothing