• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt that Lets Go had a bigger budget or cost more to make than Sun and Moon. All the Pokemon models were already made and animated so no work there, its a remake of an already made game not a ground up new gen so way less level planning etc etc Just because its in HD does not automatically make it more expensive to make - I really don't understand why people could think this cost more to make than previous entries when most of the expensive process of HD asset creation was already done previously
Well we have basically no way of knowing what the budget actually was and that's the problem. All we can do is make educated guesses and in this case especially it's really difficult to get an accurate idea of the potential costs involved due to overlap, platform transition, scope etc. just further proves my point that not having access to production costs makes revenue a moot point.

Yea revenue for games is higher now than ever before but so are dev costs so while revenue may be high across the board in the industry ROI could be down compared to past sales. We simply have no way of doing a comparison in this regard and it's frustrating

Oct 25, 2017
no, I get why she left here. She had every right to. This place can be incredibly toxic and it has almost driven me away a number of times. And my grievances are nothing compared to what she and some others have dealt with.

If what I quoted isn't true, then that's on me for taking the post at face value and I apologize for that.

Sent you a PM to avoid taking this thread off the rails.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
no, I get why she left here. She had every right to. This place can be incredibly toxic and it has almost driven me away a number of times. And my grievances are nothing compared to what she and some others have dealt with.

If what I quoted isn't true, then that's on me for taking the post at face value and I apologize for that.
Sorry my ire wasn't really directed at you I just get really fed up with folks constantly calling people who actually seek/sought to contribute to the sales community into question. They deserve better and the folks doing it should frankly be ashamed of themselves

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry my ire wasn't really directed at you I just get really fed up with folks constantly calling people who actually seek/sought to contribute to the sales community into question. They deserve better and the folks doing it should frankly be ashamed of themselves

It's cool. I understand the frustration. And yeah, some of the attitudes in these threads are disgusting.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think this whole shift towards revenue in reporting really muddies the water in a lot of ways as we have no indications on the production costs for 99% of games and therefore have very little way of knowing what sort of ROI they may have provided.
Unit numbers tell you even less about ROI on their own.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

honestly, aquamarine's message here on resetera were 80% shitposts with spoiler tags over others just for trolling.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Stop talking about a poster who doesn't even come to the forum anymore. It's off topic.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
It's incredibly frustrating how tight lipped publishers are about production costs especially considering how basically every other form of entertainment readily provides these figures.
absolutely. i cannot understand why studios and publishers almost seem to be ashamed about their production costs. movie budgets can be found easily, they even use them as marketing arguments. it's as if the gaming industry either has no confidence in their products or in their clients.
i think it wound even help the industry to grow up and to let gamers recognize and appreciate the value of games, and that discount bonanzas, bundles and streaming might not be the solution but part of the problem.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can insider tell us if
Spiderman $199 bundle generating the same amount of interest like last year $199 PS4 deal or less or more?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Let's Go is going to do really well overall.

Significantly outsold the other new releases this week as well as a nice (but not crazy) boost to Switch hardware.

Launch is far below the other juggernauts this year in COD and RDR2 but that's to be expected. So overall a very healthy launch

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Significantly outsold the other new releases this week as well as a nice (but not crazy) boost to Switch hardware.

Launch is far below the other juggernauts this year in COD and RDR2 but that's to be expected. So overall a very healthy launch

Thanks Benji , as always it is very appreciated.

Game is having good WoM too so it should have great legs. Streaming numbers on Twitch are surprisingly high too.

Regarding the hardware boost, could the bump have been softened by the Mario Kart bundle releasing next week ?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

That sounds like it's above my expectations. I would also think it's going to sell quite well right through the holidays as well.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup I expect pretty good legs of Let's Go going into christmas but even in January/February. Word of mouth is really good on social medias.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Nice to hear, thanks for the insights!

With two days of sales behind us, do you have any updated thoughts on how Let's Go will do in comparison to for example XY and Sun/Moon?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is gonna do a lot better in December than I thought originally. Now I'm not that sure which will sell more this year, Smash or Pokemon. Pokemon gets the benefit of Black Friday but Smash gets the benefit of crazy pre-orders.

Should be a close race.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Is it silly for me to expect LG to do the brunt of it's sales and hardware boosting during Black Friday and December?

SMO really got going in December if I remember correctly.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear, thanks for the insights!

With two days of sales behind us, do you have any updated thoughts on how Let's Go will do in comparison to for example XY and Sun/Moon?

Below Sun and Moon for sure

Not sure in comparison to X and Y yet though

Also Pikachu is outselling Evee but it's much closer than you would think

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Interesting, I definitely expected Pikachu to be the best-selling version by a comfortable margin. Sun/Moon launch sales definitely were ridiculous, so not reaching that number isn't a bad result. Will be interesting to see how the game performs over the holiday season, especially with Twitch viewership being the highest for the franchise, and overall WoM seeming very positive.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Oh wow, and considering digital share will be much higher for this than 3DS games it having a chance to outsell X and Y with like half the install base is pretty huge.

Also Eevee is superior to Pikachu. Everyone knows it in their hearts.

Jun 17, 2018
Seems like the perfect storm for Let's Go, above average reviews, movie trailer buzz, positive word of mouth, Black Friday forthcoming.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Does it exceed your expectation based on preorder data leading to launch?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
If you dont buy one now good luck getting one on BF
23bgCjVC_400x400.jpg

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are we still getting results in 2 Days?

Also Benji do you think the Spider-Man bundle and no discount will hurt the legs of the game?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the bundle is holding for now. It must be a bigger shipment this time around

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Always great to get your insights. Glad Pokémon LG is doing well and moving some hardware. November seems like PS4 will take the month with the Spidey bundle but Switch should still do well for itself.

How is the 3rd Party Switch titles doing like Civ 6, Diablo 3, Dark Souls Remastered, etc... I know you said Diablo 3 was doing good initially. As always if you can't answer for any reason I completely understand.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Always great to get your insights. Glad Pokémon LG is doing well and moving some hardware. November seems like PS4 will take the month with the Spidey bundle but Switch should still do well for itself.

How is the 3rd Party Switch titles doing like Civ 6, Diablo 3, Dark Souls Remastered, etc... I know you said Diablo 3 was doing good initially. As always if you can't answer for any reason I completely understand.

Diablo 3 is still #4 on the eshop more than 2 weeks after release (behind the 2 Pokemon SKU's and Smash). I suspect its doing really well.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Benji has already said shipment is higher this year. There was also someone in another thread with access to Wal-mart regional numbers who said their allocation was notably high.

Geez that points towards a massive November for the PS4. I wonder if we'll see a permanent drop to $199 next year and if so just how much demand there is at that price point. Seems like there is a lot of pent up demand.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how long the Spider-Man bundle will last (currently one of the best selling on each online platform). I give it until Monday before stock starts running low. With a few reserves for black friday.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Hey Benji, kind of a random question. Do you know if EB Games US and EB Games Canada are separately managed entities? I've always been kinda curious on that front.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So

Not kidding. Spyro on PS4 is probably going to outsell FO 76 on PS4 in units unless 76 has some sort of crazy digital share.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long the Spider-Man bundle will last (currently one of the best selling on each online platform). I give it until Monday before stock starts running low. With a few reserves for black friday.

Stock should last longer than last year, Walmart has received a huge amount of console.

walmxeeqe.png