• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Microsofts new acquisitions are only one part of a larger strategy. They are also investing heavily in gaming related services, improving their gaming OS, windows 10 integration, providing options at every end of the market and making sure they have industry leading hardware from day one.
I agree with all of this. Microsoft more than any other publisher right now seems to be ramping up for next gen, 1st or 3rd party. All of the signs of them having a strong strategy for launching next gen are there.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The last few pages have been weird, why does MS investing more in gaming means they will top Sony next gen? All that Sony have done so far isn't just gonna go down the drain just because a competition is doing better for themselves.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y'all are expecting way too much for launch games/launch window games. Those historically always sucked on almost all consoles but even more on Playstation consoles.

tbh I think most of the PS5/Xbox Scarlett launch games will be port of PS4/XBO GaaS games

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try to predict next gen without not even knowing the consoles and the strategy behind it, is meaningless.

On PS2 era everyone believed that PS3 would smash the others. Sony has the best hand to enter next gen, but PS5 become as dominant as PS4 depends on a lot of factors.

Oct 25, 2017
The last few pages have been weird, why does MS investing more in gaming means they will top Sony next gen? All that Sony have done so far isn't just gonna go down the drain just because a competition is doing better for themselves.
Whenever one of the big 3 does good/great, the other two will fail.

Nintendo is consolidating their console and handheld business? It will sap everything away from traditional consoles.

MS is establishing subscription services for their new games? That will kill traditional game launches.

Sony is dominating the console space? There is no other viable way to have success in the gaming space for the other two.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The US / UK and some of Europe will be a toss up next gen. Launch price, launch titles and launch date are all going to be vital. There is no reason to think its a done deal

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
October...

PS4: 1.34
Switch: 1
Xbox One: 0.83
3DS:0.26

YoY:

PS4: +62%
Switch: -12%
Xbox One: +64%
3DS: -45%

Initial sales performance of Pokemon Let's Go is about in line with Nintendo's expectation, and it's a strong one.

Sweet, delicious pork creature. Thanks for not abandoning us despite the people that tried to harass you.

Do you think Let's Go is in line with typical Pokemon remake numbers?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
October...

YoY:

Initial sales performance of Pokemon Let's Go is about in line with Nintendo's expectation, and it's a strong one.

Dammit, not even Pokemon could save the Switch from the downward spiral. November will be strong for sure, but last November was too. I bet on you making it on the 20 million forecast Nintendo, don't let me down.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
October...

YoY:

PS4 continues to dominate in year 5. What a success story for Sony.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, not even Pokemon could save the Switch from the downward spiral. November will be strong for sure, but last November was too. I bet on you making it on the 20 million forecast Nintendo, don't let me down.

Those are numbers for October. It's literally the first word in his post.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
If Pokemon is matching Nintendo's expectation that clearly means they're well on their way to hit that 20 Million FY goal.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It won't. PlayStation's brand globally is miles ahead of Xbox, I'd even go on to say that Xbox is practically dead as a brand in some regions.
I think people talking about US only here.
October...

YoY:

No software rankings this month?

Deleted member 59

Cheers Pork, Switch being down makes sense, considering last year had Odyssey.

Red Dead doing work for those PS4/XBO bundles I bet!

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some nice YoY gains for XBO and PS4.

Will be nice to track how Pokemon does for the remainder of the FY.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only -12% when compared to last year that had Mario Odyssey with a bundle is a good performance.

I think overall it is too, but honestly I was expecting sales to be higher. The software lineup is stronger, it's the second year of the console - honestly looking at last year I was expecting more from the Switch. Expecially next to the PS4's numbers.

The big takeaway here isn't that the Switch isn't doing good but that we're seeing Sony's software strategy working wonders - there's always a new and exciting game coming out on their console, every month. If Nintendo somehow managed to keep up with their goals for unified software production the Switch could be a lot bigger than it currently is. It's selling quite decently without big games, imagine what it could do with them.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
October was the only month in 2018 Switch could have come in third (due to the strength of CoD and RDR2 on the other platforms) and it didn't even come close to happening. Switch is about to have an insane holiday.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
October...

YoY:

Thanks Magicpork!

Using these for October 2017 (PS4 - 205K, NSW - 295K, XB1 - 130K) I get the following for October 2018:
PS4: 332K - 348K (=340K ?)
NSW: 260K
XB1: 213K - 216K (=215K ?)

Totals Jan-Oct 2018
PS4: 3048K (+14% YoY)
NSW: 2505K (-4% YoY)
XB1: 2083K (+35% YoY)

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Some nice YoY gains for XBO and PS4.

Will be nice to track how Pokemon does for the remainder of the FY.

Surprising to see Xbox is way up YoY - someone a few posts above told us the Xbox brand is practically dead so how is this possible hmmmmm

Seems like great results all round again, November / December are going to be insane!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
October...

YoY:

Whether or not they are the leaks we all love I just want to say your posts are always insightful and many people really appreciate reading your insights. No matter what people with agendas say.

So thank you for continuing to post here!

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
So, PS4 is +300K? If so, then this is the first year PS4 sold over 3 million without November+December.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think lets go numbers will do the typical Pokemon numbers?

if you are expecting Pokemon S/M numbers then absolutely not.. but it's going to surprise quite a lot of people..

The truth is.. for the first time in months, Switch may actually have a shot at that elusive 20m target.. obviously we're still early in the holiday season so let's just wait and see.

I think people talking about US only here.

No software rankings this month?

You don't need me to tell you the software ranking this month :)