• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played Skyworld? Worth €7.99 on sale?

Also, does the refund policy apply to Rift games, too? Tempted to try Asgard's Wrath during the (admittedly very minor) sale.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just bought the BoxVR DLC.

Is it seriously just four workouts? Or is something not fully downloading over here?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Lookink into the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap mod... I guess it is "the thing" for the Quest? Does it ever actually come back in stock or is it out for good?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
came back in stock on the HTC store for a bit, but my guess is it's out of stock again?
Yeah it is (on the Canadian store anyway)

I'll keep checking Amazon and the official store from time to time I guess.

Btw, people who bought the strap, did you buy any 3d printed things to install it or you went all the way ghetto? Some of those 3d printed things look good but there's a lot of them so I'm always open for recommandations.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
not sure if you can cancel or if they ship to canada but i bought mine here, seems significantly cheaper (potentially) https://www.etsy.com/listing/704470746/frankenquest-das-adapter-made-for-oculus

EDIT: nvm, full kit costs about the same

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if you can cancel or if they ship to canada but i bought mine here, seems significantly cheaper (potentially) https://www.etsy.com/listing/704470746/frankenquest-das-adapter-made-for-oculus

EDIT: nvm, full kit costs about the same
Thanks for the heads-up!

It's CA4.42$ + CA$17.20 shipping vs around CA32$ total on Ebay so yeah, a bit cheaper but bah...whatever, I'll keep the Ebay one going for now but yours can be a backup if the Ebay one ends up not working.

This is purely superficial but, looking at the pictures of both, I prefer the way the Ebay one looks lol

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed that the price was just for the ring and not the full kit lol... Yeah so that would be CA26.58$ + CA17.20$... haha yeah.....

Last edited:

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up!

It's CA4.42$ + CA$17.20 shipping vs around CA32$ total on Ebay so yeah, a bit cheaper but bah...whatever, I'll keep the Ebay one going for now but yours can be a backup if the Ebay one ends up not working.

This is purely superficial but, looking at the pictures of both, I prefer the way the Ebay one looks lol

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed that the price was just for the ring and not the full kit lol... Yeah so that would be CA26.58$ + CA17.20$... haha yeah.....

Know anyone with a 3D printer? My brother printed this exact adapter for me.

www.thingiverse.com

Repaired Oculus Quest/Vive Deluxe Audio Strap adapters by Atoms_Garage

This is not a remix so much as a repair. As others have noted, the version of these files provided by DarthOctane had errors which caused them to not print, or print poorly on some printers/slicers. After running these through Netfabb I was able to get these all to print just fine on my Prusa i3...

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought about that too since one of my employee has a 3D Printer but with all the stuff happening these days, it's more trouble to get the raw material for him and then get the final piece.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I thought about that too since one of my employee has a 3D Printer but with all the stuff happening these days, it's more trouble to get the raw material for him and then get the final piece.

True, I did the 'leave it on your step and I can grab it', and that was my brother. More difficult with someone at work.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to have 2 profiles on the Quest and if so can games and apps be shared between the 2 profiles?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it last week and just couldn't get Virtual Desktop working well enough, for long enough. I'm using 5GHz wifi and such and generally have a great connection with everything but virtual desktop was just a bit too much for it to handle I guess.

One thing that was strange about virtual desktop was that when I was trying to tweak settings they didn't seem to stick. I'd increase or decrease settings which affected bit rate and it would take a while or a complete re-launch for them to take effect. So I was stuck with either poor quality which worked smoothly or good-looking quality which performed poorly and no easy way to switch between them reliably.

All that said, thanks to Oculus' refund policy you could try Virtual Desktop for yourself and return it if it doesn't work for you.
is your host PC wired to the network? running VD on a Quest via 5Ghz wifi from an Eero Pro and a hardwired PC and it performs with no noticeable latency.

Not sure if this is the same measurement but SteamVR reports that I get around 10ms of latency while playing Alyx. Will try other games later today, but for Alyx VD has been much better than link. No stuttering.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anecdotally, I played the first half hour of Alyx with VD and Link, both latest version. Felt slightly nauseous after playing with VD. Didn't seem that different other than a bit decreased visual fidelity.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I only tried ALVR and it ran like crap compared to Link for me... Maybe I should give VD a try
When I first got my Quest (got it when Link came out), I tried ALVR. Wasn't satisfied and there was noticeable delay with my hands and gave up on it. A couple weeks later, tried VD and wasn't satisfied with the performance (ALVR was actually better at the time for me). I ended up refunding it and going back to Link.

Last week I decided to give VD another shot after hearing about the improvements. It's so much better that I've given up on Link entirely. Link always worked fine for me, but the image quality was soft, I would get weird stuttering in games when I did things like open menus, and being tethered during Alyx is not fun.

If you have a proper setup, VD is fantastic. Just ensure you're on 5Ghz Wi-Fi and your PC is hardwired to your network.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
is your host PC wired to the network? running VD on a Quest via 5Ghz wifi from an Eero Pro and a hardwired PC and it performs with no noticeable latency.

Not sure if this is the same measurement but SteamVR reports that I get around 10ms of latency while playing Alyx. Will try other games later today, but for Alyx VD has been much better than link. No stuttering.
Nah and I'm sure that's the issue - my PC is a home-theater PC with a GTX 2060 but there's no ethernet available by my PC setup.

I've validated that the PC has a great and low-latency 5GHz wi-fi connection but it's still not adequate enough for virtual desktop

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So how does VD works exactly... I'm confused...

So you need to buy the app on the official Quest store but then you still need to sideload the apk with Sidequest??

Edit:Ok, I got it

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Nah and I'm sure that's the issue - my PC is a home-theater PC with a GTX 2060 but there's no ethernet available by my PC setup.

I've validated that the PC has a great and low-latency 5GHz wi-fi connection but it's still not adequate enough for virtual desktop
You could try turning on the Hotspot in your PC's wifi settings! Some people report success with that.

Basically, enable Windows Hotspot, connect your Quest to that 5GHz hotspot and play VD that way. If your wireless card is up to it you should have no problems.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
So how does VD works exactly... I'm confused...
First you have unprotected sex with a random stranger, then it hurts when you pee ;)

But in all seriousness, yes - you need both to buy VD on the Oculus Quest store (there is no crossbuy) and install from SideQuest, as Oculus blocked wireless game streaming in the store bought app.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You could try turning on the Hotspot in your PC's wifi settings! Some people report success with that.

Basically, enable Windows Hotspot, connect your Quest to that 5GHz hotspot and play VD that way. If your wireless card is up to it you should have no problems.
Ah yeah, never even considered this. I thought hotspot might introduce extra latency but I'll give it a shot.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I got this cable:

Amazon.com: PartyLink 16ft(5m) USB Type-C Cable | Oculus Quest Link Compatible High Speed Data Transfer & Fast Charging USB3.1 Gen 2: Computers & Accessories

Buy PartyLink 16ft(5m) USB Type-C Cable | Oculus Quest Link Compatible High Speed Data Transfer & Fast Charging USB3.1 Gen 2: USB Cables - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

It does not work in my USB-C port of ASUS Prime Z370-A https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/
According to the specs, this motherboard has "USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C". Oculus software detects this connection as USB 2.0.
However, if I connect it via USB-C "VirtualLink" port on my 2080Ti GPU, then it works fine. Buyer beware.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Ok just purchased Virtual Desktop and played the first 30 mins of Half Life Alyx, only had 1 slight frame drop the whole time with default settings and no tweaking and that was with someone else in the house playing a multiplayer game on another PC, colour me impressed!!!

Has anyone managed to get POLYBIUS working with Virtual Desktop??

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Ok just purchased Virtual Desktop and played the first 30 mins of Half Life Alyx, only had 1 slight frame drop the whole time with default settings and no tweaking and that was with someone else in the house playing a multiplayer game on another PC, colour me impressed!!!

Has anyone managed to get POLYBIUS working with Virtual Desktop??
Don't have it on PC myself, but there has been discussion on this very subject. Iirc, there were issues on Oculus hardware regardless of streaming.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Question about oculus link vs virtual desktop - have a long cable but still playing with USB ports. If I want to use virtual desktop is it possible to use my PCs onboard WiFi to stream to it? Pc and quest are in the same room but my router is one room and a brick wall away so the signal should be cleaner from the PC? pc is connected via cable to my router so I normally have the WiFi disabled on the pc

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
1: oculus link works well
2: half life is pretty great
3: I hate cables - I don't have a usb-c socket and no expansion so I don't think I can use the office and much lighter cable? Can you get converters - my pc has usb 3.1 which didn't work, and usb 3 which did, but both are usb a

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I got VD working with my Quest and I got a latency of 30 ms playing The Lab on SteamVR. However, I can't seem to play my Oculus PC VR games. Yesterday, I managed to start them fine but, today, I open the games from within VD and they don't load on the headset. I've seen people say you need revive but I did not install such a thing yesterday and I managed to play Walking Dead fine. Anyone has any idea what's up ?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
1: oculus link works well
2: half life is pretty great
3: I hate cables - I don't have a usb-c socket and no expansion so I don't think I can use the office and much lighter cable? Can you get converters - my pc has usb 3.1 which didn't work, and usb 3 which did, but both are usb a

Consider Virtual Desktop instead. Visually it looks better than Oculus Link for Half Life IMO.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Consider Virtual Desktop instead. Visually it looks better than Oculus Link for Half Life IMO.

I spent all morning fiddling getting my usb cable working assuming that cables gives more capacity and responsiveness. Thanks, will try again

will definteiky try - was reasonable a while ago with compound, but occasionally would hitch a tiny bit. hoping I can set up my onboard 5Ghz Wi-Fi as an access point somehow? It is much closer than my actual router (pc uses Ethernet)

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
hoping I can set up my onboard 5Ghz Wi-Fi as an access point somehow? It is much closer than my actual router (pc uses Ethernet)

Yeah im wonder a similar thing, if there a cheaper alternative than getting a complete wireless router

I mean would a Wifi USB device work like the, Linksys WUSB6300??, apparently it can translates up 860Mbps over 5Ghz

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I spent all morning fiddling getting my usb cable working assuming that cables gives more capacity and responsiveness. Thanks, will try again

will definteiky try - was reasonable a while ago with compound, but occasionally would hitch a tiny bit. hoping I can set up my onboard 5Ghz Wi-Fi as an access point somehow? It is much closer than my actual router (pc uses Ethernet)

Theoretically, it should but I think Oculus is compressing the video to be more conservative to make sure the responsive experience is a good but it's causing more banding as a result. Better image quality combined with no wires with room scale is a pretty sweet combination which I've been using more despite having the official link cable.

I believe you should be able to setup your onboard Wi-Fi to create and ad hoc connection. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to in theory. I just haven't done it yet.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

Windows is picky about which cards it'll make a wifi hotspot from, but it should be possible. Many people report success doing it this way.

Question about oculus link vs virtual desktop - have a long cable but still playing with USB ports. If I want to use virtual desktop is it possible to use my PCs onboard WiFi to stream to it? Pc and quest are in the same room but my router is one room and a brick wall away so the signal should be cleaner from the PC? pc is connected via cable to my router so I normally have the WiFi disabled on the pc
Yes--use Windows Hotspot to do it. I don't know if there'll be a quality difference though--its possible that your router has a stronger/more consistent signal than your onboard wifi will.

So whats the cheapest option if you just wanted a 5Ghz device solely for using the Quest with Virtual Desktop?
Either buy a separate AC router and hook it up directly to your desktop for using VD on the quest (no internet access, just a straight wireless signal from your PC to the Quest) or by using your onboard wifi card as a 5GHz Hotspot in Windows.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Either buy a separate AC router and hook it up directly to your desktop for using VD on the quest (no internet access, just a straight wireless signal from your PC to the Quest) or by using your onboard wifi card as a 5GHz Hotspot in Windows.

Yeah i dont have a wifi card in my PC, thats why i was looking at those USB wifi dongles, would they not work?

Oct 25, 2017
Quick impressions after trying one out:

Might have been my glasses/the fact that it wasn't mine but a workmates: how much bluris is too much?

The initial set up works well, it's very clever and respects you will move about in a tight space.

I did the table with pickups, shooting gallery. Hard to understand the controllers at first.

Which one is the one with the robot/mobile home? That was probably the jankiest.

Superhot Demo - I enjoyed this the most. At one poiintI punched a door however.

Think I've earned my VR stripes.

Ouch.

Actually surprised at the quality of the hardware, but yeah the software seems lacking but I didn't at all have too much time with it/it isn't my unit.

How modular is the system? I don't follow jailbreak or modding scenes for most anything but it seems quite the closed ecosystem. I respect that as well.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I am new to the device and curious on all the stuff beyond just games. Mine is coming in from Best Buy on Tuesday after a really helpful online chat person the site let me order one after having it constantly go in and out of stock on their site yesterday.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I got VD working with my Quest and I got a latency of 30 ms playing The Lab on SteamVR. However, I can't seem to play my Oculus PC VR games. Yesterday, I managed to start them fine but, today, I open the games from within VD and they don't load on the headset. I've seen people say you need revive but I did not install such a thing yesterday and I managed to play Walking Dead fine. Anyone has any idea what's up ?
Anyone know anything about this ?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
They would, but I would be worried that they don't have enough power to deliver a consistent throughput for a good experience. I haven't used them before though, so you may be fine with them.

Well its only £25 from amazon if it does work out ill just return it

or going down the travel router as suggested theres the , TP-Link AC750 travle router but thats a tad bit more money

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got Virtual Desktop. Seems to work pretty well? How are people seeing what their latency is? I didn't see that anywhere.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Can you test Virtual Desktop before buying if my network doesn't work well with it? Steamlink seems to work fine on wifi but not amazing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for straps to hold the controllers in place without using your fingers? Eg for games where your fingers move based on touching the trigger/buttons (like half life) it'd be good to be able to hold them more like index controllers

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Got my 5GHz hotspot working but getting horrible hitching in virtual desktop. If i turn it off and use my normal 5GHz router it's generally smooth but does switch between around 580-866Mb/s so the signal isn't the strongest

Maybe windows hotspot isn't very efficient? I'll try fiddling with drivers later but for now it's either the cable or the router. Cable seems more stable and I can't tell any real difference in visual quality. But obviously wireless is convenient

does the cable slow your battery loss or even keep it stable? That would help a lot and make it more likely to use the cable for a long session

Also my wife told me off for shouting too loudly. She didn't seem to care that the damn headcrab was jumping at my face