• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Got my 5GHz hotspot working but getting horrible hitching in virtual desktop. If i turn it off and use my normal 5GHz router it's generally smooth but does switch between around 580-866Mb/s so the signal isn't the strongest

Maybe windows hotspot isn't very efficient? I'll try fiddling with drivers later but for now it's either the cable or the router. Cable seems more stable and I can't tell any real difference in visual quality. But obviously wireless is convenient

does the cable slow your battery loss or even keep it stable? That would help a lot and make it more likely to use the cable for a long session

Also my wife told me off for shouting too loudly. She didn't seem to care that the damn headcrab was jumping at my face

The cable definitely keeps it stable. At least my Amazon cable does. Not sure if the official Link cable is even better (I rarely use it since I prefer the more rigid Amazon cable for seated experiences).

I have built in wifi on my X470 mobo and it was absolutely terrible as a hotspot. It was functioning only as that, too. Would constantly stutter. This is with a Ryzen 2700 that had spare cores to burn.

I ended up just picking up a tp-link router that I turned into an AP. But that was before everything got expensive. I paid like 1/2 the price Amazon is selling it for now.

Speaking of VD, I can now play Virtual Pinball FX 2VR with it. This was always my litmus test that flunked. The things I concluded:

For a GTX1070, x264 latency is better than HEVC for me (about 5 ms).

Sliced encoding may significantly drop the latency, but it introduces lots of stutter that's visible in something like pinball. Having a latency that never deviates makes the game completely playable (actually set a new table record playing this way).

I no longer try playing with extreme. High is good enough. I never tried Insane using 264 and no sliced rendering, but I think High looks good enough and probably helps the Quest decoding anyways. With 264/High/No sliced encoding, it's incredible right now. Would only use a cable for something like sim racing.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I found a Deluxe Audio Strap on the Dell website on the 6th and ordered it right away since I couldn't find it in stock anywhere elese (unless I'd want to pay crazy stupid reseller markup) but my order status still hasn't changed since the 6th... The estimated delivery is for the 16th but this is getting near...

Obviously I understand the delays with what's happening right now and this is obviously not essential but anyway, I sent them a mail just to make sure that everything was still on track.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having issues keeping their headset charged?

Now that I'm using Virtual Desktop instead of Link I actually have to make sure it's charged unlike before haha. I kept the link cable plugged in after my last VD session which was almost a week ago. I went to play some HLA tonight and the headset was just at like 20% charge...

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The cable definitely keeps it stable. At least my Amazon cable does. Not sure if the official Link cable is even better (I rarely use it since I prefer the more rigid Amazon cable for seated experiences).

I have built in wifi on my X470 mobo and it was absolutely terrible as a hotspot. It was functioning only as that, too. Would constantly stutter. This is with a Ryzen 2700 that had spare cores to burn.

I ended up just picking up a tp-link router that I turned into an AP. But that was before everything got expensive. I paid like 1/2 the price Amazon is selling it for now.

Speaking of VD, I can now play Virtual Pinball FX 2VR with it. This was always my litmus test that flunked. The things I concluded:

Sliced encoding may significantly drop the latency, but it introduces lots of stutter that's visible in something like pinball. Having a latency that never deviates makes the game completely playable (actually set a new table record playing this way).

I no longer try playing with extreme. High is good enough. I never tried Insane using 264 and no sliced rendering, but I think High looks good enough and probably helps the Quest decoding anyways. With 264/High/No sliced encoding, it's incredible right now. Would only use a cable for something like sim racing.
Yeah I imagine that the built-in hotspot just doesn't have enough antennas or power to deliver a consistent experience. I d
Anybody else having issues keeping their headset charged?

Now that I'm using Virtual Desktop instead of Link I actually have to make sure it's charged unlike before haha. I kept the link cable plugged in after my last VD session which was almost a week ago. I went to play some HLA tonight and the headset was just at like 20% charge...
i shut mine completely off and put it on the charger after every session. Ensures my battery is always full when I start up a new VD session

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have an older ASUS 1750 router that might work. but would I connect to the pc or to the Ethernet switch I have in the spare room? I guess that's be easier.

i definitely need to stay wireless - so much nicer than a cable and worrying about it putting stress on the USB port on the headset. i have a battery pack to help keep it charged (and to add some rear weight for balance)

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I have an older ASUS 1750 router that might work. but would I connect to the pc or to the Ethernet switch I have in the spare room? I guess that's be easier.

i definitely need to stay wireless - so much nicer than a cable and worrying about it putting stress on the USB port on the headset. i have a battery pack to help keep it charged (and to add some rear weight for balance)

I'm in the same boat. I would love to at least give Virtual Desktop a try (link works fine, but I don't like being bound by a cable).

Is there any kind of writeup regarding what you would need to do with a router and your PC to make this work? Or would any good samaritan be willing to write one up, with the intended audience being clueless people like me? I'm reading these comments and recognizing that I have no idea what most of your are talking about. :)

Right now, I have a modem attached to a router, with my gaming PC in another room that can't be reached with a lan cable, so I use one of those wifi dongles. It's fine for internet and downloading stuff, but I don't really use it for anything more taxing (e.g., multiplayer).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat. I would love to at least give Virtual Desktop a try (link works fine, but I don't like being bound by a cable).

Is there any kind of writeup regarding what you would need to do with a router and your PC to make this work? Or would any good samaritan be willing to write one up, with the intended audience being clueless people like me? I'm reading these comments and recognizing that I have no idea what most of your are talking about. :)

Right now, I have a modem attached to a router, with my gaming PC in another room that can't be reached with a lan cable, so I use one of those wifi dongles. It's fine for internet and downloading stuff, but I don't really use it for anything more taxing (e.g., multiplayer).

as I understand it, there are a few options

1) connect to your regular WiFi. Bad idea if your host PC is also WiFi - lots of potential latency and loss of bandwidth due to multiple round trips. Also may suffer if you have a weak signal

2) connect something to your pc to act as a 5GHz hotspot and connect your quest to it (instead of your normal router WiFi). My experience may only be anecdotal but maybe windows isn't great with this - I was getting lots of hitching in streaming (if I connect to my router it's generally smooth. my pc is wired with Ethernet to my router, but my router is in another room so I don't max the connection speed )

3) connect a second router to act as a separate access point. This needs a router than can act as an access point, turn off DHCP etc so it's a dumb box with its own SSID. Really needs you to be able to connect to your router with a cable though, so a long Ethernet cable between rooms (I drilled through both brick walls either side of my stairs and fished through)

4) power line - sends LAN over your power and gives you a WiFi access point in your room with the quest. This could be a good option as you can get powerlines with Ethernet ports which would let you connect your pc to save some latnext and reduce round trip travel

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
as I understand it, there are a few options

1) connect to your regular WiFi. Bad idea if your host PC is also WiFi - lots of potential latency and loss of bandwidth due to multiple round trips. Also may suffer if you have a weak signal

2) connect something to your pc to act as a 5GHz hotspot and connect your quest to it (instead of your normal router WiFi). My experience may only be anecdotal but maybe windows isn't great with this - I was getting lots of hitching in streaming (if I connect to my router it's generally smooth. my pc is wired with Ethernet to my router, but my router is in another room so I don't max the connection speed )

3) connect a second router to act as a separate access point. This needs a router than can act as an access point, turn off DHCP etc so it's a dumb box with its own SSID. Really needs you to be able to connect to your router with a cable though, so a long Ethernet cable between rooms (I drilled through both brick walls either side of my stairs and fished through)

4) power line - sends LAN over your power and gives you a WiFi access point in your room with the quest. This could be a good option as you can get powerlines with Ethernet ports which would let you connect your pc to save some latnext and reduce round trip travel

Thanks for the response. Option 3 is what seems like a decent option, but there's almost no way I can get a lan cable to a separate router near my PC (the cable would snake through half the house).

I don't understand what kind of sorcery you are talking about with option 4. You can run a lan cable from a wall outlet? I have to be misunderstanding that . . .

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Got mine Quest in today and bummed because I noticed it has a green vertical line on the right screen, which I heard is a defect. *sigh*

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the response. Option 3 is what seems like a decent option, but there's almost no way I can get a lan cable to a separate router near my PC (the cable would snake through half the house).

I don't understand what kind of sorcery you are talking about with option 4. You can run a lan cable from a wall outlet? I have to be misunderstanding that . . .

The main issue is you need to have your PC hooked up to a router/access point and then have the Quest be in close proximity to that. The only thing you need actual internet service for is for the entitlement check on Virtual Desktop. So even the lowest quality internet access (on that router/AP) wouldn't affect your experience so long as your PC was hardwired into that router and Quest was close.

Just something to consider. Cause in theory, it should make things easier to find a solution (knowing the actual internet signal can be crap... it just needs to exist).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue I have with Virtual Desktop now that is that the image seems to be a bit... soft? For a lack of a better word? Like it's not necessarly low res per-se but it's like it's missing a bit of definition...

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only issue I have with Virtual Desktop now that is that the image seems to be a bit... soft? For a lack of a better word? Like it's not necessarly low res per-se but it's like it's missing a bit of definition...
Its like you are looking at a video of the stream so you see video artifacts. Its both sharper and blurrier than the link cable

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Weirdly, my VPFX2VR has stopped working with VD. Says no headset connected. Used to work, many months ago.

Regarding your latency, are you basing it on the VD panel on the PC?

1Jie4Fc.jpg

FWIW nothing I change seems to change my latency of around 44ms-48ms. Not the codec, not the sliced rendering, not the quality. PC wired straight into 5ghz router which is very close by. Maybe because of NVENC differences between your 1070 and my 2060 KO?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Having trouble with Virtual Desktop. The actual desktop works, but I tried a few games on Steam and none seem to work right. I tried the VR mode in America Truck Simulator but it wouldn't let me get pass some popup at the start, Tabletop Simulator the image would start to freeze up on screen, and I tried the demo for a Arcade game and say my headset was not support and the camera just kept pointing down toward the floor.

Oh I guess I forgot to grab something called Sidequest.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly, my VPFX2VR has stopped working with VD. Says no headset connected. Used to work, many months ago.

Regarding your latency, are you basing it on the VD panel on the PC?

1Jie4Fc.jpg

FWIW nothing I change seems to change my latency of around 44ms-48ms. Not the codec, not the sliced rendering, not the quality. PC wired straight into 5ghz router which is very close by. Maybe because of NVENC differences between your 1070 and my 2060 KO?

Yeah. I had that in the background while playing a bunch of games and testing.

With 264/High/No sliced encoding, I'm at an unflinching 41ms. Nothing I do (in game) seems to ever get it to move from 41ms.

HEVC and those settings was in the 45-46ms range.

264/High/sliced encoding enabled dropped me into the low 30s (I think I may have even seen it dip into the high 20s), but for motion sensitive games like Pinball, it introduced a jerkiness that I find completely game destroying. I've run sliced encoding with other games, so it's YMMV, but it's certainly not something I'd use for Pinball.

On my AP, I have 5Ghz set to AC only and 80Mhz channels.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So my Linksys AC1200 Wireless USB adapter arrived today, i have set it up as a 'Mobile Hotspot' in Windows 10 i have set the network name to Quest and gave it a password. The Quest can see and connect to the Mobile Hotspot just fine but its reporting only 2.4Ghz!!

I have looked at how to set a Mobile Hotspot to 5Ghz and there is supposed to be a 'Speed Bank' drop down tab where you set the network name and password in the 'Mobile Hotspot' tab in Windows 10 but i am not seeing that option at all, any ideas?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Ok update on the Linksys AC1200 Wireless-AC USB dongle, i discovered i was able to alter the settings for the device from...

Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters>Linksys>WUSB6300>Properties

under that there is a few settings....

AdaptivitPara: 0
BeamCap: BEAM Disabled
EnableAdaptivity: Auto
High Adhoc Mode: Disabled
HLDiffForAdaptivity 7
L2HForAdaptivity: Auto
LdpcCap: VHT LDPC TX|HT LDPC TX
Preferred Band: No Preference
QoS Support: Support QoS
StbcCap: VHT STBC TX|RX & HT STBC TX|RX
USB SF Mode: Disabled
USB Switch: Mode Auto
VHT 2.4Gh: Enabled
Wireless Mode: Auto

the only settings ive altered (as in honesty dont know what the rest are) is:

LdpcCap: VHT LDPC TX|RX & HT LDPC TX|RX
Preferred Band: 5G First
QoS Support: Disabled
VHT 2.4G: Disabled
Wireless Mode: IEEE 802.11a/n/ac

with these settings the Quest is reporting 5Ghz and a Link Speed on 866Mbps when i connect to the Linksys dongle. I have tried the Steam game GRIP which just go a VR mode and im struggling to see a difference between using this dongle and when connected to my Linksys Router!

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ok update on the Linksys AC1200 Wireless-AC USB dongle, i discovered i was able to alter the settings for the device from...

Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters>Linksys>WUSB6300>Properties

under that there is a few settings....

AdaptivitPara: 0
BeamCap: BEAM Disabled
EnableAdaptivity: Auto
High Adhoc Mode: Disabled
HLDiffForAdaptivity 7
L2HForAdaptivity: Auto
LdpcCap: VHT LDPC TX|HT LDPC TX
Preferred Band: No Preference
QoS Support: Support QoS
StbcCap: VHT STBC TX|RX & HT STBC TX|RX
USB SF Mode: Disabled
USB Switch: Mode Auto
VHT 2.4Gh: Enabled
Wireless Mode: Auto

the only settings ive altered (as in honesty dont know what the rest are) is:

Preferred Band: 5G First
VHT 2.4G: Disabled
Wireless Mode: IEEE 802.11a/n/ac

with these settings the Quest is reporting 5Ghz and a Link Speed on 866Mbps when i connect to the Linksys dongle. I have tried the Steam game GRIP which just go a VR mode and im struggling to see a difference between using this dongle and when connected to my Linksys Router!

Were you stuttering before? That's going to be where you should see a difference. Wifi doesn't deal well with dropped packets. So you want to get into a situation where zero packets are being dropped. That's the difference you're going to see. 0 dropped packets should result in zero stutter (although it's not quite that simple since stutter can be from other areas too).

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Hot damn. Virtual Desktop with a wired PC gets me a latency of 20-25 ms and it's fantastic. It's insane how much of a difference it makes in games like Echo Combat where you have so much more mobility. It's an unfair advantage.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Virtual Desktop is pretty awesome. I picked up Lies Beneath for the Quest and tried out the Rift S version over Virtual Desktop... felt pretty much the same.

I also tried Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners and it likewise seem to play really well. The desktop app is saying my latency is 15ms but that doesn't seem right... Does it? I could definitely feel some delay in Saints and Sinners but more then playable.

This leads me to more a general Quest question. I kind of expected a bigger jump in visuals going from the Quest to Rift version of Lies Beneath but it looked identical even on "high" settings. It seems to run at the same resolution. Even the Walking Dead seems a little fuzzy. Can anything be done about that?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I need help with getting things more comfortable with the headset. While trying to make it better, I've made it worse and trying to adjust it hasn't resolved it so hopefully someone here can help. Right now I'm feeling painful pressure behind my ears, and slightly upward at the level near the top of my ears would be. I can't play for very long before this becomes painful enough to not use anymore. Can someone suggest what I should be doing to relieve the pressure that the headset is putting on there? I was trying to make the rear strap try to cup lower back of my head as various places suggest doing when this happened.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017

I'm seeing similar here and I have Asus RT-AC68U.

I need help with getting things more comfortable with the headset. While trying to make it better, I've made it worse and trying to adjust it hasn't resolved it so hopefully someone here can help. Right now I'm feeling painful pressure behind my ears, and slightly upward at the level near the top of my ears would be. I can't play for very long before this becomes painful enough to not use anymore. Can someone suggest what I should be doing to relieve the pressure that the headset is putting on there? I was trying to make the rear strap try to cup lower back of my head as various places suggest doing when this happened.

Counter weight seems like what would help you the most. Lots of DYI stuff floating around. That's the first place I would look.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Counter weight seems like what would help you the most. Lots of DYI stuff floating around. That's the first place I would look.

Oh really? Interesting... I would have thought that counter weight would have been more about the front pressure on the face rather than pressure towards the back. I'll give that a shot since I already have a counter weight strap coming in the mail this week.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? Interesting... I would have thought that counter weight would have been more about the front pressure on the face rather than pressure towards the back. I'll give that a shot since I already have a counter weight strap coming in the mail this week.

It's just somewhere to start. You can easily test this with something at home. I used this heavy padlock and stuck it on the back of the Quest and it did seem to relieve the more common kind of face pressure I was experiencing.

I'm pretty lucky though. I don't find the device too uncomfortable.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a osd you can bring up that shows packets lost and latency etc when playing games with Virtual Desktop?, id like to compare with this Linksys USB dongle and my router more

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing similar here and I have Asus RT-AC68U.

That's your actual number when you're in a VR game? Because there's two different types of streaming with VD. There's desktop streaming... which is what you're doing when you first start and where 20ms is quite common, and then there's the latency when you're streaming actual VR games... which is a very different and higher number.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

I have the frankenquest with the DAS, and that helps, but it's the counterweight that helps the most for me. It balances it all out much better.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
That's your actual number when you're in a VR game? Because there's two different types of streaming with VD. There's desktop streaming... which is what you're doing when you first start and where 20ms is quite common, and then there's the latency when you're streaming actual VR games... which is a very different and higher number.

So how do you actually see this figure when gaming?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you actually see this figure when gaming?

LOL

Um... it's possible to do, because I've done it. But I can't do it on command and I can't give directions (even for myself). I think it's somewhere buried underneath all the windows on your desktop. So as long as the game doesn't go full screen on your display, you might be able to fish it out so you can read it during VR games?

It being such a PIA is the reason it took me forever to figure out what settings were optimal for me. Because I almost never had this visible on my monitor during VR gaming.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, but surely if the game isnt full screen then its not fully stressing the connection as it would be with a full screen display?

I didnt know if within Virtual Desktop there was a way to bring up an Afterburner like graph overlay so you could see, what the bitrate was, packets lost etc

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, but surely if the game isnt full screen then its not fully stressing the connection as it would be with a full screen display?

I didnt know if within Virtual Desktop there was a way to bring up an Afterburner like graph overlay so you could see, what the bitrate was, packets lost etc

Full screen or not has no impact on the connection. You're streaming at a fixed bitrate depending on your setting (low/med/high/insane). And even that is pretty low because the Quest can't decode very much before it bogs down and the video decoder is overwhelmed. Also, for most games (if they're done right), the desktop display is just displaying a mirror.

I wish I knew of an overlay you could pull up. I don't even understand the new games menu on the latest VD. You've got the SteamVR overlay, the Oculus overlay, and the VD games overlay. For the life of me, I can't intelligently call them. I basically spam the home button desperately hoping the right overlay pops up. It was easier when I only needed to worry about two overlays.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh... Still no movement on my Deluxe Audio Strap order I made back on April 4th on the Dell website.. It still sits at "Confirmed" status (the one before shipped) and the expected delivery still says the 16th (so today)...so...yeah...

I sent a mail to customer support and received the boilerplate reply email... Meh

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I knew of an overlay you could pull up. I don't even understand the new games menu on the latest VD. You've got the SteamVR overlay, the Oculus overlay, and the VD games overlay. For the life of me, I can't intelligently call them. I basically spam the home button desperately hoping the right overlay pops up. It was easier when I only needed to worry about two overlays.

It's not that complicated. When in a game via SteamVR through VD press the left controller home button once to bring up the Steam overlay, double tap the home button to bring up the desktop view, and if it isn't already displaying press the home button once while in desktop view to see the VD "blade" overlay that has "settings", "games" etc. It's usually quicker to launch games from the blade on initial start imo but the SteamVR overlay is fine too.

So the latency being displayed on the desktop streamer app is solely for just desktop view and not games correct? I tried to just alt-tab while in a game to see if the value changed and while it did seem to jump up to around 30ms from 20 it then began hovering around 30 even with the game closed so not sure if that's indicative of anything beyond the desktop latency.

It'd be nice if the VD dev could find a way to integrate the in game latency info into a similar pop up wrist bound display like fpsVR uses.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't used the link in a while and now I can't get it to work.
I updated things, and I go into the link stuff but once in I'm just stuck in a white envirment the rest of it never loads. if I go to start a game it tries but never does. Steam isn't detecting my headset, the oculus version of journey of the gods says I have no headset, but sound is going through my headset and my oculus app seems to know I'm doing stuff via it.

anyone run into this?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that complicated. When in a game via SteamVR through VD press the left controller home button once to bring up the Steam overlay, double tap the home button to bring up the desktop view, and if it isn't already displaying press the home button once while in desktop view to see the VD "blade" overlay that has "settings", "games" etc. It's usually quicker to launch games from the blade on initial start imo but the SteamVR overlay is fine too.

So the latency being displayed on the desktop streamer app is solely for just desktop view and not games correct? I tried to just alt-tab while in a game to see if the value changed and while it did seem to jump up to around 30ms from 20 it then began hovering around 30 even with the game closed so not sure if that's indicative of anything beyond the desktop latency.

It'd be nice if the VD dev could find a way to integrate the in game latency info into a similar pop up wrist bound display like fpsVR uses.

Maybe your Quest was still in some type of VR? Like Oculus home or SteamVR home? I'm not sure you're going to get an accurate reading if a game is alt-tabbed out, but if you do it with a game that runs in a window, it should. Like with PinballFX2 VR, the window is small enough that the mirror is on the left side of my monitor and the VD thing is on the right side. So when I was playing the game at my desktop, I could periodically check to see what the latency reading was on the monitor.

I'm pretty sure Guy Godin, the creator of the program, has stated multiple times he believes the lowest you can theorhetically go with his program (assuming everything is perfect and you're using sliced encoding) is the upper 20s in VR. I would assume he's basing this on hard data he has access to.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone can answer this..

I'm getting a Quest next week.. my PC isn't up to snuff (i5, Intel video card).. if I wanted to subscribe to Viveport Infinity would I be able to play the games through the Quest or would it have to be tethered/run on the PC?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone can answer this..

I'm getting a Quest next week.. my PC isn't up to snuff (i5, Intel video card).. if I wanted to subscribe to Viveport Infinity would I be able to play the games through the Quest or would it have to be tethered/run on the PC?

You would still need to run them on your PC.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Finally ordered one on Oculus! Hopefully it comes...

I ordered a 10 foot link cable... it got here already and I dunno wtf I was thinking, it's so short. Sigh lost $25.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Don't know if you've got the desire to burn $100 but I highly recommend the FrankenQuest mod that uses the Vive Deluxe Audio strap. Great audio solution and fantastic comfort, really takes the Quest to the next level. There's no way I could go back to a stock Quest.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if you've got the desire to burn $100 but I highly recommend the FrankenQuest mod that uses the Vive Deluxe Audio strap. Great audio solution and fantastic comfort, really takes the Quest to the next level. There's no way I could go back to a stock Quest.

I may have to go that route. Isn't the problem with doing that is actually finding the Vive Deluxe Audio strap though?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I may have to go that route. Isn't the problem with doing that is actually finding the Vive Deluxe Audio strap though?
Yeah, it may be a bit tricky to get your hands on one for the retail price at the moment but unfortunately, thems the brakes with just about everything at the moment. I'm sure they'll spring back up soon, especially considering HTC is going to keep capitalizing on the sales they're getting from Quest owners since their own HMDs aren't really selling.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe your Quest was still in some type of VR? Like Oculus home or SteamVR home? I'm not sure you're going to get an accurate reading if a game is alt-tabbed out, but if you do it with a game that runs in a window, it should. Like with PinballFX2 VR, the window is small enough that the mirror is on the left side of my monitor and the VD thing is on the right side. So when I was playing the game at my desktop, I could periodically check to see what the latency reading was on the monitor.

I'm pretty sure Guy Godin, the creator of the program, has stated multiple times he believes the lowest you can theorhetically go with his program (assuming everything is perfect and you're using sliced encoding) is the upper 20s in VR. I would assume he's basing this on hard data he has access to.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know my connection is solid :)

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
To use Virtual Desktop and SteamVR with the Quest do you still need to jump through all of the hoops regarding Sidequest? Basically, the 6 steps listed here: https://sidequestvr.com/#/setup-howto

Or is there some easier way? It seems as if just buying VD doesn't allow you to launch SteamVR games.