cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
no problem mate, any advice could help me out... opened a ticket with support but I dunno why my guts tell me to not hold much hope they'll be able to fix it...
I seem to have quite a bit of hardware issues with the Quest, my solutions are usually leaving it charging for a few hours or multiple hard restarts (holding power down until it shuts off)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
no problem mate, any advice could help me out... opened a ticket with support but I dunno why my guts tell me to not hold much hope they'll be able to fix it...

I doubt support will get you anywhere. The biggest compaint you can make against the Quest is just how often they break things with all the firmware updates (and how, at best, you need to wait 2 or 3 months for things to get fixed). It's been my experience they do usually get fixed, but man, do I dread firmware updates when everything is running smoothly.

It feels like they're always pushing their algorithms to their extreme in some push for something. Better battery life? I just wish they tested better. Because they often push too far and we end up with things that are unnecessarily broken.

I really can't help you with the issue because: 1.) I don't play Beat Saber on those difficulty levels. 2.) I got into the habit, last fall, of always disabling the Guardian upon bootup. I think my crashes were eventually fixed, but unless I'm playing something where it's needed, I just disable it anyways.

Out of curiousity: is there any direction in your play area that doesn't have a light source? Does it make any difference if you're only facing that direction? This was my issue last summer. They changed the aggressiveness of their algorithms and my play space suddenly didn't like certain light sources (that it had no trouble with at launch). If this is your issue, you might consider buying an IR camera lamp. I purchased one of those and aim it at the ceiling and let the light reflect back into the play space. This lets you play in pitch dark and solves issues that are "bright spot" related. I honestly don't use it very often, but at the very least, it's kind of cool if you want to play in the dark.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I seem to have quite a bit of hardware issues with the Quest, my solutions are usually leaving it charging for a few hours or multiple hard restarts (holding power down until it shuts off)

Yeah, I also usually fix most if not all (before this one, lol) problems with a hard restart.
Never tried doing multiple in succession tho, I will do that, thanks
I doubt support will get you anywhere. The biggest compaint you can make against the Quest is just how often they break things with all the firmware updates (and how, at best, you need to wait 2 or 3 months for things to get fixed). It's been my experience they do usually get fixed, but man, do I dread firmware updates when everything is running smoothly.

It feels like they're always pushing their algorithms to their extreme in some push for something. Better battery life? I just wish they tested better. Because they often push too far and we end up with things that are unnecessarily broken.

I really can't help you with the issue because: 1.) I don't play Beat Saber on those difficulty levels. 2.) I got into the habit, last fall, of always disabling the Guardian upon bootup. I think my crashes were eventually fixed, but unless I'm playing something where it's needed, I just disable it anyways.

Out of curiousity: is there any direction in your play area that doesn't have a light source? Does it make any difference if you're only facing that direction? This was my issue last summer. They changed the aggressiveness of their algorithms and my play space suddenly didn't like certain light sources (that it had no trouble with at launch). If this is your issue, you might consider buying an IR camera lamp. I purchased one of those and aim it at the ceiling and let the light reflect back into the play space. This lets you play in pitch dark and solves issues that are "bright spot" related. I honestly don't use it very often, but at the very least, it's kind of cool if you want to play in the dark.

Firstly, I'll deffo test if anything changes depending on where I'm facing in the play space, I can't believe I didn't think about this because even if it's true that the light sources are only artificial, there are indeed *really* white walls only in certain areas of the play space.

Secondly:
ok this seems incredible, please help me out with this? 😄 Could you kindly guide me with purchases/tutorial of everything I'll need? Seriously.

Also, would it be possible then to play outside with this (providing it's night time of course) or the even stars/bright moon will fuck things up? And lastly how would you set it up? Regardless, I still want to get it even if it's only to play inside the house.

Thanks a bunch for the reply

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I also usually fix most if not all (before this one, lol) problems with a hard restart.
Never tried doing multiple in succession tho, I will do that, thanks

Firstly, I'll deffo test if anything changes depending on where I'm facing in the play space, I can't believe I didn't think about this because even if it's true that the light sources are only artificial, there are indeed *really* white walls only in certain areas of the play space.

Secondly:
ok this seems incredible, please help me out with this? 😄 Could you kindly guide me with purchases/tutorial of everything I'll need? Seriously.

Also, would it be possible then to play outside with this (providing it's night time of course) or the even stars/bright moon will fuck things up? And lastly how would you set it up? Regardless, I still want to get it even if it's only to play inside the house.

Thanks a bunch for the reply

Quite a few people on Reddit have set these things up for outside. I'm not sure if you'd need a larger unit or not, but there's definitely a lot of people who've done it successfully. I don't think stars or anything would be an issue. I was talking more about windows/lights that show up as blinding whitespots on passthrough.

This is the one I purchased. There are larger ones, but for the indoor space I use it with, it's plenty big. I just placed it on top of a book shelf (about a foot below the ceiling) and angled it towards the ceiling and let the light bounce back down into my place space. If you make your adjustments when the camera is in pass-through mode, you can tell how well the light is being distributed and find what works best.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Open beta of échos vr planned for may 5th. Can't wait

Do we know yet if the actual game is going to be free?

If it's not, I wonder if I'll still be eligible to get it free with cross buy. Back when Intel had that promotion to receive a free copy of Echo Arena, I had it added to my Oculus account. But it's the only Echo that I "own".

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
QuestzDoom by Dr Beef (same dev that did Lambda1VR). No date yet but release on Side quest when finished:

From the Reddit post:

QuestZDoom by dr beef will feature a dozent mappacks, total conversions and modifications. Easily provided by auto download.

So QuestZDoom is basicaly the gateway for playing Doom 64, Brutal Wolfenstein, Brutal Chex, Heretic and mods and mappacks too many to list here.
Or just vanilla Doom without all that extra stuff.

A lot of that content will be playable without having any paid doom version, by using the included FreeDoom. Best experience is with a doom2.wad though.

Also features teleport locomotion 5 different sets of VR weapons and a bad ass launcher that makes mixing mods childsplay.

For those not familiar with GzDoom: It is a source port of the original doom but without all the limitations of the 1993 id1 engine.

Dr. Beef once said: "I am doing it because i enjoy what i do." But nevertheless, if you want to buy him a coffee look here for a paypal link www.lambda1vr.com.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just a FYI, Skybox is becoming a paid product later this month (14.99). So if you ever intend on using it, you can still add it to your library for free.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i got my oculus earlier in the week and i like it enough to keep it but it's kind of insane how uncomfortable it is without modification

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who has done the Frakenquest with the DAS and 3D printed connectors, should the DAS snap cleanly into the 3D pieces? Mine don't seem to.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USB is so fucking strange. i have the anker cable and bought this angle adapter and it would NOT work - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK1G6W2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed to make the cable longer at the very least to get to the other side of the room, so I got this cable and works awesome (without even using the extra power port) and now the angle adapter works??? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2KWVG1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So
PC -> anker cable -> angle adapter -> quest = borked
PC -> extension cable -> anker cable -> angle adapter -> quest = works fine??

Tips for modification? Mine comes on Thursday.
i haven't done anything yet but I would like to do the frakenquest if I can find a strap. at this point i've messed with the default strap enough where it's "fine enough"
Tetris effect is in « coming soon » on oculus store ...
quest store or rift? this would be so awesome on the quest.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I don't see it for the regular Oculus store. Wonder if this means PC version is still Epic store exclusive.

I think this is best served on the Quest side anyways.

What I really hope for, is since Quest is a VR exclusive platform, is they redid the game for forward rendering and MSAA. I get why the PC version was deferred rendering. The majority of their audience were non VR gamers and HDR was a major selling point. But if you don't need to support HDR, forward rendering would provide a significant image quality improvement. The games got that patented dirty screen quality because of the deferred rendering.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today echo will be in open beta through the official oculus store. Can't wait for this

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Quest is coming tomorrow.

Have PSVR but had really bad luck with the tracking and the amount of time it took to get set up, so I'm really looking forward to going the other direction and going full wireless. Also have a beefy PC so will be using VD for Alyx and Boneworks and all the other VR games I've missed over the years.

Will also be playing Skyrim VR with the Wabbajock Mod list: https://www.wabbajack.org/modlist/ultimate_vr_essentials

Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got AMD Relive to work during launch. Everything seemed smooth. Didn't have time to try a game though. But I'm glad I didn't buy VD and just tried that instead.

So... what are the Rift/Steam VR games I should get first?

I got $7 on the occulus store so I was thinking of starting there.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WoW. It's stunning. Not just graphically. But the lobby and how you interact with people. The gameplay. It's absolutely brilliant.
And once again the lobby. Just finished tutorial. One guy came over greeting me. I don't speak now GF is sleeping and he tried to explain to me that I can speak the mic is on 😅. I just mimic a « shhh » in front of my mouth and he got it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Mini Motor Racing X on Meta Quest | Quest VR Games

Welcome to the world of Mini Motor Racing X! Jump into a nitro fuelled world where little cars mean BIG fun! Spanning across reclaimed ruins and scorched outbacks through to rain soaked docks and sun-kissed tropical islands - Mini Motor Racing X will take you on a micro driving journey across...

I've always been a sucker for top down racers. Looks pretty cool.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
WoW. It's stunning. Not just graphically. But the lobby and how you interact with people. The gameplay. It's absolutely brilliant.
And once again the lobby. Just finished tutorial. One guy came over greeting me. I don't speak now GF is sleeping and he tried to explain to me that I can speak the mic is on 😅. I just mimic a « shhh » in front of my mouth and he got it.
My Quest comes in tomorrow and I'll be downloading with the quickness.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Wish you could remap the controls in Echo Arena. Maybe I'm just a total slob at the game, but it's click-click-click-click all the time. Considering I'm not using the analog stick for anything else, I wish I could just give it a flick for turbo boost.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my right touch controller keeps disappearing in the middle of beat saber songs and it's so fucking obnoxious

I had this too a few months ago (I think January and I bought my Quest in December) and nothing worked. No restart, reinstalling, changing settings.

You know what solved the problem? Good batteries lol. Bought some eneloops and never had a problem again. Had the same problem with other batteries so I guess the Quest controllers need some power. I also looked online for help and many people solved it like that too. If you then still have the problem I would contact Oculus support.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had this too a few months ago (I think January and I bought my Quest in December) and nothing worked. No restart, reinstalling, changing settings.

You know what solved the problem? Good batteries lol. Bought some eneloops and never had a problem again. Had the same problem with other batteries so I guess the Quest controllers need some power. I also looked online for help and many people solved it like that too. If you then still have the problem I would contact Oculus support.
yeah i kind of think it's the battery contact as it happens in really hectic parts of the song. i'm going to try my eneloops tomorrow.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Finished Superhot last night. Absolutely loved it. Such a cool experience and a very good game to boot. Not many games make you feel like Keanu Reeves. For me it's the killer app that I will show friends. Makes you feel so good. Hopefully there will be a sequel.

I picked up Shadow Point and it's the first game to make me feel queasy. All the other demos and games I've tried have been fine. Though I noticed I did start to notice the first signs of motion sickness playing Superhot the other night which I hadn't had before. Might complete it in more small chunks or try something differen.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Desktop is unbelievable. What kind of magic shit do they have going on here...

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Virtual Desktop is unbelievable. What kind of magic shit do they have going on here...
Relive has been pretty much perfect so far for me. Except for lone echo. That game with relive is so dark. Amd had a fix for it last year but I don't understand how to make it work in Adrenalin 2020.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing with it that's so impressive? I used it to access Half-Life Alyx and I'm wondering what else I'm missing!
I've been playing Blade and Sorcery with it and I'm amazed at the lack of latency. I haven't compared it to the Link yet and don't feel the need to!

B&S is probably the most fun I've played in VR but I am saving Alyx til I'm better at VR.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I've been playing Blade and Sorcery with it and I'm amazed at the lack of latency. I haven't compared it to the Link yet and don't feel the need to!

Ooh gotcha! I thought there was more to the app that I wasn't aware of. I totally agree though! I was shocked at the lack of latency; Alyx felt like it was running off the Quest itself. It's at the point I was seriously wondering if it was somehow doing some local rendering with the environment considering there was literally zero perceptible lag when looking around (it also made me wonder why I hadn't seen more recommendations this way since it seems superior to the link cable experience?)

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try Virtual Desktop but I can't decide between a pci-express wifi card in my PC acting as an access point or a dedicated router. If router I can't decide which is the bare min specs and price range.

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
Has anybody tried the Shadow VR streaming service? Apparently it's pretty good.

I have my Quest coming on Wednesday (so excited!!!) and hoping this works well as I don't plan on having a gaming pc again until next year and there is a lot I either own or would want to get in that space. So I ordered a Shadow blast subscription. It says I'll have it in May (you don't get it right away) and will report back results for sure!