AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Pretty much the only criticism I have of this so far is the forced analog controls when the d-pad doesn't seem to be used for anything else.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first 10 levels or so and it's great so far. Surprised how much muscle memory I still have when it's probably been like 6 years since I last played 2.

It seems a bit more forgiving since you don't seem to get penalised for not hitting X when landing anymore but maybe 2 already made that change. Though I think that change is for the better.

Dec 11, 2017
So am I right that the only stuttering in the Switch version are the same cut scenes as on other consoles? I'm so keen to pick it up If performance is good both handheld and docked.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
My Tony Hawk muscle memory is strong with this one. It's fucking me up in all kinds of ways and it's going to take a while to shake it off I feel.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
As a huge THPS games fan i am definitely playing this. Never played the first two games but this looks absolutely amazing!

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
It's my first olliolli world, the feeling and the satisfaction you get from the gameplay is simply amazing. The sound from the dualsense add something special.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
As a huge THPS games fan i am definitely playing this. Never played the first two games but this looks absolutely amazing!

It is amazing but a very different game from THPS, there's some time getting used to.

The manuals tutorial being on the 4th map doesn't make any sense lol, it's a pretty basic feature in this game. Luckily i reminded how to do them and started doing right at the beginning.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Having a weird issue with my pre-order. I pre-ordered Rad Edition (because expansions usually means more trophies) but when I look at it on PlayStation app on my phone, it asks me to purchase it again, but everything looks correct on PlayStation Store on my PS4.

OlliOlli World & Sifu out on the same day with Dying Light 2 from over the weekend and the month isn't over.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
ended up going with PC (so I'm ready for the Deck and the option for 144hz) and the game looks incredible. They have used the extra budget very well. I played like 10 minutes so it's hard to say much more. I don't love the choppy cutscenes (if they are intentional) but everything else I love it

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Stylistically this game looks pretty neat and I'm interested in it, but I've never played an OlliOlli before and some of what I've seen about ramping up trick complexities and what you're doing between manipulating both sticks for tricks while also hitting landings and such has me a bit concerned that the game might end up asking too much of my old man brain and old man hands for me to get more fun than frustration out of it. I've seen reviews mention that this is the most accessible OlliOlli has been, but since that's just speaking in relative terms I'm wondering, just how daunting is the technical execution aspect of this once the game starts to get into the later stages? I'm not looking to crush leaderboards or anything, but I haven't really delved into any trick-scoring games since the days of SSX Tricky/3 and some time with the GBA version of THPS2 way back in the day and I'm not in much of a mood to feel like a failure if the game's expecting a constant pretzel sea of precise inputs.

I guess the tl;dr of the question is, just how welcoming or punishing is this for someone with no real experience? How much of a "git gud" expectation is placed on the player?

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Stylistically this game looks pretty neat and I'm interested in it, but I've never played an OlliOlli before and some of what I've seen about ramping up trick complexities and what you're doing between manipulating both sticks for tricks while also hitting landings and such has me a bit concerned that the game might end up asking too much of my old man brain and old man hands for me to get more fun than frustration out of it. I've seen reviews mention that this is the most accessible OlliOlli has been, but since that's just speaking in relative terms I'm wondering, just how daunting is the technical execution aspect of this once the game starts to get into the later stages? I'm not looking to crush leaderboards or anything, but I haven't really delved into any trick-scoring games since the days of SSX Tricky/3 and some time with the GBA version of THPS2 way back in the day and I'm not in much of a mood to feel like a failure if the game's expecting a constant pretzel sea of precise inputs.

I guess the tl;dr of the question is, just how welcoming or punishing is this for someone with no real experience? How much of a "git gud" expectation is placed on the player?

There's a good learning curve in the game but starting in the 3rd map the difficulty ramps up. There's checkpoints so you won't have to restart the stage every single time.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
I was getting strong Donkey Kong Country minecart level vibes from this. Is my expectation misplaced? Can it play like them if you don't do the trick?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting strong Donkey Kong Country minecart level vibes from this. Is my expectation misplaced? Can it play like them if you don't do the trick?

You could. It will require you to grind on some railings but generally you can beat levels without worrying about tricks/scores. They're needed for optional challenges in every level and some side levels. Though the "flow" of the game is better by engaging with all the systems, not sure how it'd feel otherwise.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Game is pretty good, I'm not a fan of the boring "story" but it's OlliOlli and the game is pretty vibrant and fun.

It's 18€ for pc on cdkeys btw.
Is the story not good? I'm liking it so far, seems like a feel good bunch of characters and the skate world mythos with the gods and a wizard is kind of endearing. Not A Hero had a funny story with its political satire, so I would expect something along similar lines. Or maybe not if John Ribbins isn't behind the writing.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The low frame rate animations in the cutscenes are 1000% a stylistic choice and not a performance issue. I'm kind of surprised people think it's a bug.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Played for an hour and a half and this is as great as I expected it to be. So satisfying to nail everything. So far I've managed to finish all the challenges, but I know that won't last, if previous games are any indication.

It's a fantastic game to play in short bursts and I plan to do so.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
So am I right that the only stuttering in the Switch version are the same cut scenes as on other consoles? I'm so keen to pick it up If performance is good both handheld and docked.
Skate gameplay is fluid and nice so far for me on switch.

Cutscenes and dialogues look like they are animated on 2's or 3's but i'm still unsure if it's a stylistic choice ( like in spiderverse) or a bug ?

It seems more fluid in portable mode than in docked curiously…

The low frame rate animations in the cutscenes are 1000% a stylistic choice and not a performance issue. I'm kind of surprised people think it's a bug.
What's weird is that you see NPC walking and skating in the background in some cutscenes and they aren't animated in low frame rate. So it's a bit jarring.

If everything was animated in the same way it would be more obvious.

It's not a big deal - I like the game and the customisation is really great.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was even a thing, I'm so out of touch with gaming news, but just insta-bought it for Switch. So excited to play it, OlliOlli 2 was such an amazing experience and the right blend of difficulty + added challenges. Didn't even need to see reviews to know it was going to be good.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I played a TON of OlliOlli 1 and 2, so I'm really pumped for this one.

How's the soundtrack? (2 had a fantastic OST that I still listen to today)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I wouldn't doubt it if everything was consistent, but it's all over the place. Idle animations seem to be fluid and background characters seem to be fluid. It's just whenever anyone starts flailing around too much that things get jerky.

The game's still great though.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Cannot decide if I want the game on Ps5 or Switch. Realistically I would play it more at home, but the idea I could play it in the train is also fun.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
The game is really fun and despite my reservations runs at the full frame rate of my monitor on PC. I am jealous of those who have the dualsense for this game. It sounds like it's great. I hooked mine to the PC to see if it worked and it only functions as a basically controller.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Am I right in saying it only shows Xbox icons for controller config on PC? I just want my dualshock icons to show as I always forget the mapping

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why was I under the impression this was some kinda open world game? lol

This is good ol' level-based OlliOlli, they have expanded and added stuff but they have also made it easier and more accessible. You basically never wipe out from trying to do a trick unlike the previous games, doesn't matter how many spins you attempt. You also also don't lose your score if don't time your falls to the press of a button. So it makes for a much less punishing game than it used to be. Which frankly makes no difference to me since I'm always doing manuals at the end of a jump anyway. It took a little bit but my muscle memory kicked in eventually like Kalor said hahaha.

This is just great fun and so far I like all the additions and changes they've made. And while I dug the pixel art of the first game and the more 2D streamlined look of the second one, honestly doing skateboard tricks just looks a lot better in 3D.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was also debating whether to get this on Switch or PS5 and now pre-ordered on the latter, because trophies might give me some additional motivation to keep playing once I've finished the main path. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this at midnight.
I really wish Nintendo had their own Trophy/Achievement system, would add replayability to so many of the games on Switch.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Why was I under the impression this was some kinda open world game? lol

This is good ol' level-based OlliOlli, they have expanded and added stuff but they have also made it easier and more accessible. You basically never wipe out from trying to do a trick unlike the previous games, doesn't matter how many spins you attempt. You also also don't lose your score if don't time your falls to the press of a button. So it makes for a much less punishing game than it used to be. Which frankly makes no difference to me since I'm always doing manuals at the end of a jump anyway. It took a little bit but my muscle memory kicked in eventually like Kalor said hahaha.

This is just great fun and so far I like all the additions and changes they've made. And while I dug the pixel art of the first game and the more 2D streamlined look of the second one, honestly doing skateboard tricks just looks a lot better in 3D.
I sorta thought it was open world too. I'm fine with it being levels though.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
i def also thought this was open world or pseudo-open world (very large levels with different 'tracks' you switch between).

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Throw me into the " thought it was open world camp," the marketing made it seem so.

Regardless, having a blast playing. Love the art, love the customization, lots of options to make your skate how you like.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get some tips for the wallrides? I'm often finding myself lacking in speed when doing multiples ones in a row and unable to stick the landing at the end, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong.
I sorta thought it was open world too. I'm fine with it being levels though.
Previews might have misrepresented this game somehow, weird.

I definitely prefer the way the game is, it's perfect.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I've finally shook off the THPS control shackles and am beginning to get into a groove.

Thinking I'll go through and focus on clearing levels and attempting the no checkpoint runs before I do each levels challenges. Some of them were feeling pretty tricky for me already in the first world.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Really enjoying it on Switch and will definitely buy this on Steam somewhere down the line. I will mention one thing, I am very early in the game but I sort of miss the pressure of landing tricks. I understand they removed it to make it more accessible but that feature was unique to me for this series.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I can't seem to understand how to wall grind properly… First forest level after the tutorial- I can't pass the 3rd wall thing just before a rail. I'm always too short to land in the rail.

Also I don't really inderstand how you can keep constant speed when grinding - never played to previous games, so I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wish you automatically skipped dialogue when replaying a level, or had a toggle to do it. I like reading it the first time but don't really need to see it again.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Surprised to see that this is $40 CAD. A bit of a hard sell for me, unless this has that much more content compared to the first two games.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

This is me as well. I love the look of it but couldn't get into OlliOlli 1 & 2. Requiring a perfect landing was too much and I'm bad at spinning the right stick for tricks. How far are we from those games?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is me as well. I love the look of it but couldn't get into OlliOlli 1 & 2. Requiring a perfect landing was too much and I'm bad at spinning the right stick for tricks. How far are we from those games?

Perfect landings aren't as important now. You get a slight loss of speed if you don't get a okay/perfect landing but you can still continue as normal. It seems impossible to fail tricks at all now, only if you hit obstacles/fall off the level. (Actually grabs can fail, hadn't used those much yet)

The right stick is still used for special tricks but could be ignored in favor of other tricks.

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Perfect landings aren't as important now. You get a slight loss of speed if you don't get a okay/perfect landing but you can still continue as normal. It seems impossible to fail tricks at all now, only if you hit obstacles/fall off the level.

The right stick is still used for special tricks but could be ignored in favor of other tricks.

That's great to hear! I'm going to take the plundge. Hope I can get into the groove.