• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
First WWE ppv I ever bought. I had just recently gotten back in to wrestling for the first time since a kid in the 80s. I legit thought it was an accident when it happened.

Oct 28, 2017
I find it amazing that people still watch wrestling. That's not an indictment against its fans. I just see there are plenty of you here on Era but I don't think I've heard anyone even mention it in person for at least a decade.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
I find it amazing that people still watch wrestling. That's not an indictment against its fans. I just see there are plenty of you here on Era but I don't think I've heard anyone even mention it in person for at least a decade.

I mean, people are still and always will be the age I was when I watched wrestling, so I'd never be surprised that people "still" watch it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The product is absolute trash now, but I've watched it for so long now (though I did take a break at one point), that's it's just become part of my Monday routine. lol

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn didn't realize it was this long ago. My parents didn't really care what I watched but I remember my dad trying to explain to me how this was fake and he couldn't do it, he was as stunned as I was lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fun fact, despite this looking more impressive, Foley said this wasn't the bump that hurt more. It was the botched chokeslam through the cell (which wasn't supposed to break), and even then the thing that hurt most was the chair he was holding landed on his head, leading to the now-infamous shot of Foley's tooth coming out his nose.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
When he starts climbing back up the second time and the roar of the crowd is the insane moment.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
An absolute car wreck of a match in the best way, Foley was desperate to find a way for him and an injured Taker to meet the expectations coming off the previous Cell match, surprisingly he was right in that turning himself into a human sacrifice for sports entertainment was the way to do it, as ill advised as it is.
Still the peak WWE high spot moment to be honest, it likely wont be matched and nor should it.

Underrated moment of commentary amidst all the JR calls is when Foley goes through the cell and King almost casually just drops "that's it, he's dead"

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It was nuts. The chokeslam that broke through the cage (which was unplanned!) was even crazier.

The taker/HBK HIAC match the year earlier was the better match though (and is still the best ever wwf/e match for me, just edging out austin/hart).

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit I was 9 when this happened, Nd I still had sense enough to say "dad I think the struts wont hold them, they are bending"

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One name for me got me back into wrestling, and home grown hero as well: Kenny Omega.

Oct 27, 2017
To this day the part that sticks with me after Mankind is thrown off the cell is Jerry Lawler when he plainly says "Oh my God". He broke character completely because he was so shocked at what he just saw.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Edge & Christian vs Hardy Boyz vs Dudley Boyz TLC II is still my favorite. (also with appearances by Rhyno, Lita, and Spike Dudley).

I wasn't watching during that Mick Foley era but I still remember that crazy fall.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for: Trolling.
Never watched WWF when i was young but this is so fake . Does anyone really enjoy slow fake punching ?

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017

You'd be surprised man. I was truly shocked to find out how many people I work with watch it. It's just something that no one brings up.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched the whole match. Fuck that was brutal. He also got choked slammed through the top of the cage after being thrown off the top. Wrestling was incredible back in the day.

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
LOOK OUT, AHHH! OH NO!!

Oh my gosh...

AS GAWD AS MAH WITNESS, HE'S BROKEN IN HALF!!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
FOLEY IS GOD

The insane thing was had not been for this, no Hardcore division, no 3 time Foley champ. and Foley would just be another wrestler and not one of the major figureheads of the Attitude Era

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Never watched WWF when i was young but this is so fake . Does anyone really enjoy slow fake punching ?

So, the thing is, with wrestling people aren't watching it for realism. If they wanted realistic hand to hand combat they would watch MMA or I guess competitive martial arts. These folks are entertainers, and they do so in various ways.

To say it's "so fake" because of the "slow fake punching" is seriously missing what makes this match insane. Mick Foley was thrown almost 2 stories off the cage through a wooden announcers booth, and then slammed about 15 feet through a chainlink section and onto the mat. He was seriously fucked up from this match. The punches may not be real, but to say they aren't putting themselves at severe risk for peoples entertainment is patently false. These guys get hurt all the time, and Mick Foley was a real extreme case of that--he broke like every bone in his body, his autobiography is insane--but even your less extreme personalities are regularly combating injuries. There's also something to be said about how easily something like throwing a "fake punch" can go wrong and turn into something very real. When you're selling an act like this, it's not uncommon to make real contact several times a match.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You should watch the whole PPV start to finish if you haven't. It's mind blowing.

The HIAC match happens midway through. Foley does a run in during the last match AFTER all the shit that happened to him in the HIAC match.

That's not something people often talk about. More than half an hour after the HIAC match, he wasn't in hospital. He was back in the goddamn ring.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Fun fact, despite this looking more impressive, Foley said this wasn't the bump that hurt more. It was the botched chokeslam through the cell (which wasn't supposed to break), and even then the thing that hurt most was the chair he was holding landed on his head, leading to the now-infamous shot of Foley's tooth coming out his nose.

Yeah, I think I marked out more when he he was choked slam
Through the cage