Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Got any pics or video? I've seen ads but don't recall any CG characters.
latest

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wha... why, I... Like if its done well I am all for the idea, but is that even possible for something like One Piece

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. This would be amazing if this turned into Netflix's answer to Game of Thrones. They could probably pull off a pretty decent East Blue saga.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Watch all the big anime youtubers suddenly becoming experts on One Piece if it means they get to shit on Netflix a bit more for views lol

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. This would be amazing if this turned into Netflix's answer to Game of Thrones. They could probably pull off a pretty decent East Blue saga.
There's def a lot of themes in One Piece that can resonate with modern audiences. It's plot and lore is pretty much exclusively anti-authority and character arcs/story is largely about freedom whether it's freedom from the law or freedom to be the person you want to be. If Tomorrow Studios can take that and put it towards the forefront while making a quality product, it's going to be dope.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Aside from a sprawling narrative with a ton of characters they're not much alike. I wouldn't make any predictions like this. The Witcher series is what has a better chance at that crowd.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that, if this does turn out to be the live-action TV series, Netflix is only the distributor.
The budget for East Blue alone would have to be pretty sizeable and Netflix lately has been prone to suddenly canceling their original shows.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I still can't even fathom how like, 90% of One Piece would work in live action

Like, just going off East Blue, IRL Zoro would probably look really silly with a sword in his mouth, and lord knows what they would do with the more outlandish characters like Buggy. They'd have to work some insane magic to adapt it properly without completely butchering the source material.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There's def a lot of themes in One Piece that can resonate with modern audiences. It's plot and lore is pretty much exclusively anti-authority and character arcs/story is largely about freedom whether it's freedom from the law or freedom to be the person you want to be. If Tomorrow Studios can take that and put it towards the forefront while making a quality product, it's going to be dope.

I agree, the plot is pretty straightforward while still having meaning to it, all things considered. If done correctly, it will resonate really well with younger audiences and partly even with older ones.

This has good chances if everything goes right

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bardem for Doffy pls

And who's the biggest tsundere actor right now? For Law

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
So I looked this up since I'm not familiar with one piece (not really a fan of anime in general) and these character designs are ugly as sin lol. Why is Netflix adapting this?

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
So I looked this up since I'm not familiar with one piece (not really a fan of anime in general) and these character designs are ugly as sin lol. Why is Netflix adapting this?
It's more popular than pretty much anything ever, anime or otherwise in Japan and makes mad cash in most major countries as well. That's kinda like asking why they'd adapt Superman or something

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody that actually reads/watches the series comes out thinking the series has "ugly" chararacter designs. Outside of the obvious popularity of the series, the breadth of content as well as the critical praise the series instantly makes it an obvious thing to adapt if you want to make a popular television series.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is japan so his answer not really surprising :P
Right?
And even if he specified a country, there would have been a good chance that all he did was throw a dart at a map of Africa and picked whereever it landed haha

Sadly true. The implications, however, aren't great.

Back to this show, the cast needs to be fairly young. It will be a problem if they cast someone in their late 20's as Luffy.

OP
OP
Reyes
One thing they may do is have the show take place over a bit more time then in the manga since the implication for time skip so far by timelines fans have come up with is about 6 months to 8 months and the Time skip so far is like barely a month or so.

Sadly true. The implications, however, aren't great.

Back to this show, the cast needs to be fairly young. It will be a problem if they cast someone in their late 20's as Luffy.

Yes cast young.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Casting young is ideal however I wouldn't mind late 20's and 30's for Sanji and Zoro they could pull it off since they already look like grown ass motherfuckers already.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the animes why did they pick the one that's impossible to adapt into live action

Because some exec somewhere with money signs in his eyes saw in the guinness book of world records that it was "the most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author" and "The highest selling manga of all-time".

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Because some exec somewhere with money signs in his eyes saw in the guinness book of world records that it was "the most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author" and "The highest selling manga of all-time".
IT's kind of a double edged sword however because while it'll turn off a lot of people, it'll also make praise of the One Piece anime/manga much more out there in the public eye in discourse on youtube and whatnot. It'll be interesting to see the wave of people that get into the real deal even if the TV series is bad. If the TV series is good it'll still be there cause people will want to see what happens NEXT after season 1 of the TV series.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
considering that one of the main guys involved in the project is Oda, i think at least one person understands the source material

I feel like the general rule with everything Shueisha says Oda is attached to is that he isn't really all that attached to it and maybe drew some concept art for it. The dude works tirelessly every day of the week on the manga and only gets 3 hours of sleep a day. He can't possibly have enough time to have that much input other than "yeah sure, you can do this".

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to be, just look at what The Umbrella Company is able to do.
I assume you mean Academy and it's portrayal of Pogo? If so, it's just a single character.
One Piece has hundreds of characters with crazy supernatural abilities, not to mention the "regular" peoples' strength like Zoro lifting buildings and stuff.
That, with all the crazy set pieces, creatures, designs, and scale demands an insane amount of CGI.
Unless this series has the budget of an MCU movie(yeah right) I simply can't see it working without making huge sacrifices, thus inevitably making it a poor adaptation at best and a plain terible tv show at worst.
I want to hope, but honestly anime just can't work in live action.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Larry D
I assume you mean Academy and it's portrayal of Pogo? If so, it's just a single character.
One Piece has hundreds of characters with crazy supernatural abilities, not to mention the "regular" peoples' strength like Zoro lifting buildings and stuff.
That, with all the crazy set pieces, creatures, designs, and scale demands an insane amount of CGI.
Unless this series has the budget of an MCU movie(yeah right) I simply can't see it working without making huge sacrifices, thus inevitably making it a poor adaptation at best and a plain terible tv show at worst.
I want to hope, but honestly anime just can't work in live action.

This isn't really true. It's just rare. Speed Racer did a great job and then you have stuff like Kung Fu Hustle which isn't a direct adaptation of any specific IP but it has some amazing anime style fights.