• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
I have over 431 pokemon (all legendaries, mythical, a lot of shinies) that I have trained, evolved, traded for, etc. Sitting in pokemon xy. I have done this with the goal to bring them to SwSh. Should I buy bank and transfer them? Keep them in X for thr time being? Definitely doesn't sound like I should transfer them to HOME from what I'm reading. Any suggestions? Just don't want to lose them, have spent a LOT of time prepping for them for HD Pokemon. Thanks in advanced!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
If they were the same thing, we would have a bigger debacle in this community than what's already happening.

I used the term transferring as in sending or receiving something. The plain English version. In context of your question(s) and with my use of the word "only" I was hoping that was pretty clear.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have over 431 pokemon (all legendaries, mythical, a lot of shinies) that I have trained, evolved, traded for, etc. Sitting in pokemon xy. I have done this with the goal to bring them to SwSh. Should I buy bank and transfer them? Keep them in X for thr time being? Definitely doesn't sound like I should transfer them to HOME from what I'm reading. Any suggestions? Just don't want to lose them, have spent a LOT of time prepping for them for HD Pokemon. Thanks in advanced!
You're going need to put them in Bank before they can go in HOME. X/Y won't support HOME.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The order in which we learn information is not necessarily the order in which those decisions are made.

You keep asking for proof that is literally inaccessible to any of us in an effort to make it seem like NeonZ is wrong. That doesn't make you right, as much as you harp on it. With the information available, there is just as much a chance that either hypothesis is correct. Still, GameFreak is a business, and as NeonZ pointed out, there is still money to be made regardless of whether or not Bank hit its targets.

I can only speak for myself, but I was happy with Home as a means of TRANSFERRING my Pokemon, not as a means of storing them. This decision has retroactively lessened its value to me.

When you make an accusation you need to bring facts, no especulation, simple as that.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm still confused on this whole situation. What exactly is happening?

Only Pokemon that can be caught in Pokemon Sword and Shield will be able to be transferred into the games. All Pokemon games have a Pokedex for the Pokemon in that region, but you've always been able to transfer Pokemon not in that regional Pokedex into the game. Meaning that each game still offers all Pokemon to players via things like trades and such.

With Sword and Shield (and future games), that's not the case. If the Pokemon doesn't already appear in Galar, then it can't be transferred in. Which means around half of all Pokemon just won't exist in Pokemon Sword and Shield at all. It also means that future Pokemon games will only have a select amount of Pokemon that differs from game to game. Some Pokemon may appear in all future games. Some may only appear in one. Some may not appear in a game for many years.

Game Freak is basically rendering hundreds of Pokemon as non-existent going forward.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have complete living Pokédex across all generations?
I had one up until Gen 6. It's still up there in Poke Bank.

While enjoyed Gen 7, I was burned out trying to catch them all. Regional dexes are way too big these days. I also missed the Gen 7 mythicals. I'm just tired of Gamespot nonsense. Everything should be done online these days.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
When you make an accusation you need to bring facts, no especulation, simple as that.
You are entirely missing the point. Throw that accusation in the trash. Let's assume this is all a grand coincidence. The result is the same. People pay to store their Pokemon in Home, but cannot send them to a proper game. If they don't want their Pokemon to be deleted (as was the case with Bank) they HAVE to pay up, year after year because this time (unlike with Bank) there is no safe haven to send them to. That sucks for people who have a massive/complete collection.

Does anyone have complete living Pokédex across all generations?
I counted the other day and I'm only ten away (all mythical). In light of this news, though, rounding up the rest doesn't seem like it's worth the effort if I'll never be able to use them again. That sucks because "catching them all" is the main reason why I play these games. There's fun in the chase.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Last two entries averaged around 420 or so.

All I'm saying is that you can continue to that do within the Galar dex monsters. You can still breed, online battle, and do the battle facilities with the Pokemon caught in the Galar region.
Thanks.

I would guess that GF will focus on the most popular or interesting Pokémon from different generations than go from there. Assuming that it's really for development times/ priority issues, the big upcoming news connected to this topic is, 1) how many Pokémon will be cut in this game, 2) How significant changes there are to the included Pokémon, and 3) will they patch other Pokémon back in at a later date.

I hope the answer to these questions are favorable.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I had one up until Gen 6. It's still up there in Poke Bank.

While enjoyed Gen 7, I was burned out trying to catch them all. Regional dexes are way too big these days.

Oh no i have a complete living Pokédex. I'm saying:

Living Pokédex in gen 1 from virtual console.
Living Pokédex in gen 2 from virtual console.
Living Pokédex in gen 3 carried over all the way from RSE.
Etc. etc.

From my understanding at this point you can technically have a version of every Pokémon from every mainline game (and Go) to this point. Could the system handle that many Pokémon? I believe it would be somewhere in the range of 3,000 monsters?

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have proof, this is just a conspirancy theory.

What? You can't have proof of something that hasn't happened yet, but basic logic still applies.

I know many people who paid Bank once or twice just to move stuff to the newest generation, then dropped it once all their Pokémon were inside a game. With Home that won't be possible. Since we don't know all details about Home's functionality, price, etc., I agree we should be cautious, but we are already able to account for that key difference.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no i have a complete living Pokédex. I'm saying:

Living Pokédex in gen 1 from virtual console.
Living Pokédex in gen 2 from virtual console.
Living Pokédex in gen 3 carried over all the way from RSE.
Etc. etc.

From my understanding at this point you can technically have a version of every Pokémon from every mainline game (and Go) to this point. Could the system handle that many Pokémon? I believe it would be somewhere in the range of 3,000 monsters?
I remember you know from PokeGAF lol. You guys need to stop changing avatars lol.

Didn't you lose your living Dex? You grinded out a new set?! Damn, son.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are entirely missing the point. Throw that accusation in the trash. Let's assume this is all a grand coincidence. The result is the same. People pay to store their Pokemon in Home, but cannot send them to a proper game. If they don't want their Pokemon to be deleted (as was the case with Bank) they HAVE to pay up, year after year because this time (unlike with Bank) there is no safe haven to send them to. That sucks for people who have a massive/complete collection.

Im not missing the point. Your point makes no sense.
This is not a coincidence, since the DS, Gamefreak has been making different methods to bring Pokemon to other consoles because they always are so different from one another, now is the turn of Switch and HOME. So unless you are telling me that Gamefreak has been manipulating Nintendo to change architecture, form factor, etc, to make more money, then I dont know what to tell you.
Like I said, HOME isnt the issue, HOME is a fantastic idea in line with all the transfer methods Gamefreak has come up since the DS.
The issue is the National Dex.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I remember you know from PokeGAF lol. You guys need to stop changing avatars lol.

Didn't you lose your living Dex? You grinded out a new set?! Damn, son.

I lost mine in the DS era. But yes I have a complete living dex through Ultra Sun and Moon with all variants (that started on XY) + Metalan from Go + another living Pokédex within Let's Go. I basically make it my New Years resolution every year to keep pace because they are adding monsters every year now. It's a grind.

I would just be extremely impressed if someone managed to do it across all generations. Technically the Pokédex tracks the symbol from which generation it came from so that really is the ultimate goal.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I lost mine in the DS era. But yes I have a complete living dex through Ultra Sun and Moon with all variants (that started on XY) + Metalan from Go + another living Pokédex within Let's Go. I basically make it my New Years resolution every year to keep pace because they are adding monsters every year now. It's a grind.

I would just be extremely impressed if someone managed to do it across all generations. Technically the Pokédex tracks the symbol from which generation it came from so that really is the ultimate goal.
You're a beast man lol. I would've given up.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? You can't have proof of something that hasn't happened yet, but basic logic still applies.

I know many people who paid Bank once or twice just to move stuff to the newest generation, then dropped it once all their Pokémon were inside a game. With Home that won't be possible. Since we don't know all details about Home's functionality, price, etc., I agree we should be cautious, but we are already able to account for that key difference.

I mean, we have more proof than "many" people.
And the is no logic in saying "Gamefreak are anticonsumer because of HOME, i dont know how it works, I dont know if they had other options, I just know that they are a company and they like money".
Under this "logic" the whole Pokemon franchise is anticonsumer.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Im not missing the point. Your point makes no sense.
This is not a coincidence, since the DS, Gamefreak has been making different methods to bring Pokemon to other consoles because they always are so different from one another, now is the turn of Switch and HOME. So unless you are telling me that Gamefreak has been manipulating Nintendo to change architecture, form factor, etc, to make more money, then I dont know what to tell you.
Like I said, HOME isnt the issue, HOME is a fantastic idea in line with all the transfer methods Gamefreak has come up since the DS.
The issue is the National Dex.
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Yes, Home needs to exist as a means of transferring Pokemon. LITERALLY NO ONE is disputing that.

But what NeonZ and I are attempting to communicate to you is that, in conjunction with the decision to restrict transference of certain species into SWSH, the value proposition of Home is severely lessened for many players. They are put into a position where they MUST continue paying for Home if they want to keep their Pokemon, whereas in the past they would have subbed to Bank to transfer Pokemon, then immediately allow their sub to lapse (as I have done twice now). They are keeping players on the hook for this service, whether it was GameFreak's intention or not. Now I have to spend more money for a service and features that I don't want, yearly, because they've created an ecosystem which necessitates it. If, for example, Home was a free service, then I would have nothing to fear because I know I'll see those Pokemon soon and it won't be a yearly burden to maintain them. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
8ipwsSX.jpg

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Yes, Home needs to exist as a means of transferring Pokemon. LITERALLY NO ONE is disputing that.

But what NeonZ and I are attempting to communicate to you is that, in conjunction with the decision to restrict transference of certain species into SWSH, the value proposition of Home is severely lessened for many players. They are put into a position where they MUST continue paying for Home if they want to keep their Pokemon, whereas in the past they would have subbed to Bank to transfer Pokemon, then immediately allow their sub to lapse (as I have done twice now). They are keeping players on the hook for this service, whether it was GameFreak's intention or not. Now I have to spend more money for a service and features that I don't want, yearly, because they've created an ecosystem which necessitates it. If, for example, Home was a free service, then I would have nothing to fear because I know I'll see those Pokemon soon and it won't be a yearly burden to maintain them. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Im disputting the Idea that HOME is anticonsumer and is some grand scheme by Gamefreak to make more money.
For starters, we know that home will be more than Bank was, we dont know how, but there will be more functionality than just store Pokemon.
The problem is not HOME, the problem is the National Dex.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Im disputting the Idea that HOME is anticonsumer and is some grand scheme by Gamefreak to make more money.
For starters, we know that home will be more than Bank was, we dont know how, but there will be more functionality than just store Pokemon.
Yes, but Home has retroactively become a problem for me in light of the National Dex decision. I don't want the extra services associated with it. I don't want to pay a subscription. I just want to move my Pokemon.

This is exactly what I planned to do with Home and Gen VIII (because it is exactly what I did with Bank and Gen VII):
  1. Play and enjoy the new game. Yay!
  2. When the Home is available, subscribe and move all of my Pokemon from Bank to Home.
  3. Transfer all Pokemon in Home into Sword/Shield. Uh-oh.
  4. Cancel Home subscription to save money, restart cycle with third version or Gen IX.
I can't do that anymore because they threw a BIG wrench into the plan at step 3. Regardless of whether these two decisions were coordinating to create this effect, it is reality. If those Pokemon are in Home, they are stuck there until they get included in a Switch game, and I am stuck paying. This debate has NEVER been about just Home. It has been about how the National Dex issue combined with Home leads to a bunch of players paying money they don't want to pay.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Future Pokemon games only will have (in-game) the Pokemon from their regional dex, so Pokemon that aren't there just won't be in the game in any way, not even through transfers. So, they not only won't appear in the game's main campaign, you won't be able to use them through trading or any other method. They just aren't programmed in the game.

Meanwhile, the new Pokemon Home service necessary to transfer Pokemon to future games is a one way street. You can only receive Pokemon from previous pre-Home games, you can't transfer them back. So, you're basically permanently tied to the service if you don't want to end your collection with the 3ds games since there won't be any games supporting all Pokemon from now on, so you'd never be able to move your collection away from the service.
Wow, all of that just plain sucks.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but Home has retroactively become a problem for me in light of the National Dex decision. I don't want the extra services associated with it. I don't want to pay a subscription. I just want to move my Pokemon.

We dont know how HOME will work and you already decided all of this, ok then.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

You could freely transfer Pokémon in and out of Bank. You're permanently tied to Home. It removes a lot of consumer choice.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
We dont know how HOME will work and you already decided all of this, ok then.
Yes... because I don't want to pay a subscription for basically anything that isn't necessary. I don't have that kind of disposable income. I just want to play Pokemon and maintain my collection.

One of the only things that we know about Home is that it can only send a selection of Pokemon into Sword/Shield (through no fault of the service itself, but this is still true) which means it is already failing to service my primary need.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You could trade freely between X and Omega Ruby. You'll need to pay a subscription to trade between Sword and the Diamond Remake, and then you can't even transfer the Pokémon to the respective game if they're not available ("some Pokémon don't like the cold").

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could freely transfer Pokémon in and out of Bank. You're permanently tied to Home. It removes a lot of consumer choice.
Yes... because I don't want to pay a subscription for basically anything that isn't necessary. I just want to play Pokemon and maintain my collection.

One of the only things that we know about Home is that it can only send a selection of Pokemon into Sword/Shield (through no fault of the service itself, but still) which means it is already failing to service my primary need.

We dont know the whole functionalities of HOME, to decide that it already failed is ridiculous to me.
I still maintain that this is not anti consumer..
Aniway, going to sleep. Have a good day/night.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
We dont know the whole functionalities of HOME, to decide that it already failed is ridiculous to me.
I still maintain that this is not anti consumer..
Aniway, going to sleep. Have a good day/night.
lol literally the only thing I want is to move all of my Pokemon. Literally the only thing Bank did was move all of my Pokemon. That service was perfect for me. Home cannot move all of my Pokemon into SWSH. That is confirmed. It is not meeting my needs. What could Home do to succeed in meeting my needs if the ONE thing I wanted is already gone?

Again, I'm not saying that this is the fault of Home. I'm not saying Home is a bad service for those who want whatever features they include. But its value and utility has been severely diminished for me based on Game Freak's decision to limit imports.

Last edited:

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we have more proof than "many" people.
And the is no logic in saying "Gamefreak are anticonsumer because of HOME, i dont know how it works, I dont know if they had other options, I just know that they are a company and they like money".
Under this "logic" the whole Pokemon franchise is anticonsumer.

Edit: full reply (I accidentally posted part)

You seem to be taking it too personally. Of course Game Freak is making business and should earn money. Nobodoy is discussing that. But good business should always strike a balance between making money and pleasing their customers.

Years ago people didn't have to pay for the chance to move their pokémon to the newest gen. With the arrival of Bank, we had to, but in exchange we received extra storage capacity. Moreover, the subscription wasn't forced on us since people could pay just once or twice to move all their pokémon to the newest gen and call it a day. However, from now on we won't be able to do this. We won't be able to move all of our pokémon to any game, so as customers, we lost a long-lasting feature that is important for many. This comes hand in hand with the fact that said pokémon will now have to be kept elsewhere, and coincidentally, that place will be the subscription service, which up until now wasn't necessary to store all your pokémon but from now on will be at least for part of them. Thus, as customers we will have to pay more money (unless Home is free, which we all know it won't be) in exchange for worse perks that what we had. Side minigames in Home or features such as Dynamaxing in the main games may be well worth the sacrifice for you and for many other fans, but they certainly aren't for many others, and thus the outcry. I don't think this should be that hard to comprehend.

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Because the didnt make a mistake with HOME, HOME is fine, the issue is the Dex. HOME is just a new way of communication with your Pokemon, it is a better Bank and there is no coincidence, when there was no option for Gamefreak for tranferring Pokemon from DS to 3DS they made Bank, now there is no way of comunication between 3DS and Switch, they make HOME.
I would say that Bank is the better transfer tool, because it's capable of actually transferring things

Crescende

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Wouldnt it be the ultimate solution if they just move the multiplayer trading/battling part completly over to home?
Would be a killer app. This way they dont have to bloat up their adventure games and everyone is happy.

Scorbunny

Jun 14, 2019
Still how can they go from masters where it looks like megas, and probably all pokemon will be in by the premise of being able to battle all famous trainers, to we've cut half the dex from the switch title.

Even lgpe had megas lol

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt it be the ultimate solution if they just move the multiplayer trading/battling part completly over to home?
Would be a killer app. This way they dont have to bloat up their adventure games and everyone is happy.
Changing movesets, stats, etc would become even more of a pain in the arse than it already is if that were the case

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Unless they would also include breeding in Pokémon Home, competitive would be handicapped.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of megas, wonder what happens to those designs? Are they officially non-cannon from this point forward?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I don't understand what there isn't to understand about why people like to transfer in Pokemon. It's not about bringing in your level 100 fully trained monsters from the jump, you can't even control them until late into the game. Playing through the game starting with a bunch of level 1 newly hatched pokemon though? That's the good shit. Just having access to pokemon you would not be able to have at that point in the game is a whole new experience. Like in my last playthrough of US, as soon as I got to the first Pokemon center, I brought in a Vulpix with Snow Warning, a Litten with Intimidate, and a Totodile with Sheer Force, all with egg moves that they wouldn't learn otherwise. You can have a new, different experience without being limited to the regional Dex or breaking the game, but now that isn't on the table. The incentive to replay the game instead of only sticking with the postgame grind is dramatically reduced.

There's also the fact that mass breeders can't put those Pokemon into circulation for everyone anymore. Flooding wonder trade with great pokemon that most people would not see or obtain otherwise was fun, and it allowed all these extra/not as good newly hatched pokemon to actually be used by someone instead of sitting in a box forever.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
But people weren't abusive with the Multiplayer aspect, that's the thing.

Here I see people attacking the developers, insulting them continually, then turning everything they were so excited for last week into a negative. It's ridiculous.

Good :P
How is that "abusive"? "Mean" isn't fucking abusive. Speaking of words that are misused all the time.

LuWis

Mar 25, 2019
They are not going to change anything. Maybe within 10 years, we will have the Pokemon game we deserve. Let us wait.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
putting aside how the "you're just gonna transfer Lv. 100s to breeze through the game" rhetoric is bullshit because transfers aren't possible at launch and outsider Pokémon require Gym Badges to not be massive pains in the ass, if you're willing to wait a few months and don't mind Pokémon taking naps and pretending not to hear you, restricting the Pokémon available in the game doesn't stop you from doing this. All it means is you have to choosier about which Lv. 100s you do it with

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is a bad single player JRPG, and removing those things would mean it would have to stand on the merits of its campaign alone.

That would be an amazing app though.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! Understood

I was hoping to initiate myself in the series (never played a pokemon game before) and was wondering if this is a good starting point or lets go

I think i will wait till they release more info about ir

Let's Go is a vastly different game from what this is going to be. If you're looking for a good starting I say Sword and Shield will be it. It will have open areas Pokémon in the over world hopefully done better.

Yes the community is reacting negatively to the news about older Pokémon, Z-Moves (lol), and Mega Evolutions but if you're new none of that should effect you going in.

These games looks fantastic.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Unless they would also include breeding in Pokémon Home, competitive would be handicapped.

Well you could always breed these pokemon in a game that supports them then transfer them over to Home.

Having real PvP in Home would be a good solution but I don't think it even occurred to them to do that given Masuda's comments ("I'd like these pokemon to have something to do...").

Status
Not open for further replies.