• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the worst and more depressing aspects about this whole mess is how it caused a lot of the bigger names in the Pokemon community to really show their ass. I lost all of the respect I ever had for Serebii when he posted some garbage tweet on Twitter using that disgusting and ableist autistic screeching meme to mock everyone who had a problem with the cuts.

Really fucking sucks too cause one of the first major online autistic communities I ever found and took part in was the one that was on his forum well over a decade ago. It ain't exactly fun to find out that the dude who runs one of the first places you ever found any form of acceptance is more than happy to throw you and that community under the bus.

Not suprised. I got into arguments with him when shit went down, and he immediately used the "toxic, harasser fandom" card to dismiss the complains of the fanbase.

Saatchquatch

Oct 27, 2017
c95e59852814471bb2878c405e921bdf.jpg

u fucking wot m8

I mean... They removed jigglypuff... Fucking JIGGLYPUFF.

I was actually getting kind of hyped as well when the new mons started leaking because there are a lot of really strong designs this gen... But this is far too much considering the seeming lack of anything in SwSh that makes up for losing like SIXTY PERCENT of old Pokemon.

I just can't with these games anymore, as if the constant arbitrary cutting and rehashing of mechanics and features wasn't bad enough, now they've done the same to the actual Pokemon on an absurd scale.

I am so bloody salty over this shit right now lmao, good grief.

I will say though that I am screaming at the fact that they kept the polar bear, the hippo, and the luchador bird, but axed the yorkshire terrier, the swan, and the sandcastle... In a game themed around the UK.

tenor.gif

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think one of the worst and more depressing aspects about this whole mess is how it caused a lot of the bigger names in the Pokemon community to really show their ass. I lost all of the respect I ever had for Serebii when he posted some garbage tweet on Twitter using that disgusting and ableist autistic screeching meme to mock everyone who had a problem with the cuts.

Really fucking sucks too cause one of the first major online autistic communities I ever found and took part in was the one that was on his forum well over a decade ago. It ain't exactly fun to find out that the dude who runs one of the first places you ever found any form of acceptance is more than happy to throw you and that community under the bus.

Damn. Link to the tweet??

Nov 15, 2018
I feel like Pokemon Showdown is going to get a lot more popular now, since Dexit ruins the team building for competitive battling. Being unable to use pokemon x on the same team as pokemon y due to not existing anymore is an annoying limit we never had to deal with before.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Link to the tweet??

I'm not sure I would be able to find it now, if it's even still up. This happened waaay back when the cuts were first announced so it's not a recent tweet. I think he made the same joke on here at some point too when the news first broke.

Edit: And in any case, I don't particularly feel like looking for it again. I don't want to subject myself yet again to ableist shit that just makes me feel miserable.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Pokemon Showdown is going to get a lot more popular now, since Dexit ruins the team building for competitive battling. Being unable to use pokemon x on the same team as pokemon y due to not existing anymore is an annoying limit we never had to deal with before.
They'll never take my ubers metagame from me, Matsuda will pry my broken Primal Groudon from cold dead hands.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm not sure I would be able to find it now, if it's even still up. This happened waaay back when the cuts were first announced so it's not a recent tweet. I think he made the same joke on here at some point too when the news first broke.

Edit: And in any case, I don't particularly feel like looking for it again. I don't want to subject myself yet again to ableist shit that just makes me feel miserable.

That's fair. I actually remember the tweet. But at the time I did not know what "RRRRREEEEEEE" meant so I paid no mind

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That's fair. I actually remember the tweet. But at the time I did not know what "RRRRREEEEEEE" meant so I paid no mind

Yeah, as an autistic person, I actually didn't know that meme was making fun of autistic people until very recently. I can't speak to others though.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, people like to pull the whole 'but, but it's just frog noises' song and dance when defending the meme, but it pretty much always has been described as 'autistic screeching' when they're not trying to defend it. I've almost never seen anyone use it in a way that wasn't meant to mock someone as 'autistic' or as the good ol' R word.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my biggest 'congratulations, you played yourself' moment was when I decided to make a preliminary living dex for these games almost a year in advanced. I decided that when it looked like the Let's Go games were going to be a pass for me, I'd get my mon fix by getting the living dex started for the next pair of games. Put a stupid amount of time into it too. I was so hyped for the HD era of Pokemon and to finally get to see my favorites on a screen that isn't in whatever shit resolution the 3DS has. I can't believe I actually bought into the that whole 'you're getting your game next year' line that everyone was touting when I was already noticing that there were some worrying issues with Let's Go. I don't think anyone was truly expecting things to get so bad that cutting 60% of all Pokemon was on the table. It's so damn obnoxious that we're apparently not supposed to be bothered by this and that we're just being toxic or entitled for taking issue with it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as an autistic person, I actually didn't know that meme was making fun of autistic people until very recently. I can't speak to others though.

I also did not know until it was pointed out. Can't say ive ever personally made a noise like that.

He apologized and deleted it once it was pointed out what the "reee" meme actually meant.

There you have it. Why is that still being used to berate someone?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

He apologized and deleted it once it was pointed out what the "reee" meme actually meant.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think my biggest 'congratulations, you played yourself' moment was when I decided to make a preliminary living dex for these games almost a year in advanced. I decided that when it looked like the Let's Go games were going to be a pass for me, I'd get my mon fix by getting the living dex started for the next pair of games. Put a stupid amount of time into it too. I was so hyped for the HD era of Pokemon and to finally get to see my favorites on a screen that isn't in whatever shit resolution the 3DS has. I can't believe I actually bought into the that whole 'you're getting your game next year' line that everyone was touting when I was already noticing that there were some worrying issues with Let's Go. I don't think anyone was truly expecting things to get so bad that cutting 60% of all Pokemon was on the table. It's so damn obnoxious that we're apparently not supposed to be bothered by this and that we're just being toxic or entitled for taking issue with it.

Same here. So much work put into having "all of them in HD"

What a joke. ):

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I think that's a fair response. I didn't know what the meme really meant either until finding someone pointing it out on this site, and this is still one of the only places I've seen the origin brought up. I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset or shouldn't feel offended or anything of the like, but mistakes do happen. As long as they try to correct after being informed, I don't personally think it should be held against them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Because unfortunately people aren't given the benefit of the doubt or the opportunity to learn from their mistakes on the internet

I imagine a lot of people missed the internet memo that pepe the frog started having negative connotation, and then recently a positive one. Keeping up with memes isn't everyones priority.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny that Jigglypuff super ability in Smash Bros. has basically been Dynamax over a decade before Dynamax was even a thing... and then Jigglypuff just isn't in Sword & Shield.

Pokemon Company with that brand synergy on point.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny that Jigglypuff super ability in Smash Bros. has basically been Dynamax over a decade before Dynamax was even a thing... and then Jigglypuff just isn't in Sword & Shield.

Pokemon Company with that brand synergy on point.

Greninja's water swords were cool enough in Smash to become a thing in the anime, but not the other games.
Lucario had the lightsaber staff bone club in the anime but not the games outside of Pokken.
Its always been pretty inconsistent with presentation.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Lucario in Smash is so weird. Other than Aura Sphere he really doesn't feel like anime Lucario. I wanna see him use bone Rush and Dragon Pulse and stuff instead of just random Aura attacks.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lucario in Smash is so weird. Other than Aura Sphere he really doesn't feel like anime Lucario. I wanna see him use bone Rush and Dragon Pulse and stuff instead of just random Aura attacks.

I'm not familiar with the anime but Lucario in Smash always felt like they designed him as a pseudo Mewtwo clone to me despite their many differences. Like they used him as the replacement in Brawl.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

In regards to.Lets Go, I had a gut feeling, where I wasn't sure if Pokemon captured in LG would be transferrable at all, so I never got invested in shiny hunting. When Home was announced, I thought, maybe should put some time to doing more shiny hunting. Of course then the whole dexit thing happened a week later.

In a way I'm happy I dropped it when I did since the overall experience felt like....the new fossil pokemon.

Whaleman

Nov 14, 2017
There are like 50 pages in this thread so there was no way I was going to check if this has been posted already but it is too good not to.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a lot of people missed the internet memo that pepe the frog started having negative connotation, and then recently a positive one. Keeping up with memes isn't everyones priority.

Well, congrats. You don't have memes constantly being made that act like the condition you have makes you the worst thing ever. You don't have to enjoy seeing it thrown around everywhere and the moment you ask someone to stop, 9 time out of 10 they'll just gleefully double down. I don't know why you seem to think that this sort of thing is always coming from a place of disingenuousness. Serebii is a place where I first found like-minded people during my formative years and it was legit kinda upsetting when he did the meme that's known for mocking us. I'm genuinely glad that he realized what he was doing, apologized for it and deleted it. It's nice to see that he did that rather than double down like what seems to happen most of the time on the net.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have memes constantly being made that act like the condition you have makes you the worst thing ever.

I do, actually, very much so. Im just not holding grudges against people making easy mistakes. Don't presume to know someone like that.

Lucario in Smash always felt like they designed him as a pseudo Mewtwo clone to me despite their many differences. Like they used him as the replacement in Brawl.

That's probably exactly what happened.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking about it:
Pokémon Sword/Shield have less pokemon in it than pokemon go, pokemon super mystery dungeon and every mainline pokemon game since gen 4. That's wild.
I didn't even realize that. Its kinda crazy when you think about it. The Switch is the most powerful Nintendo console, but its being treated like it isn't. You see games like BoTW and its incredible scope and ambition. Even Smash could have easily said "You know what? Only half of them are in" but they went all in.

Anyways, kinda hoping for a remake or re-release of some of the DS/3DS games on the Switch.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What i'm the most curious is the casual reaction. Normally I would've expected them to not care. But they fucked with Gen 1 and the most beloved starters and legendaries from other Gens.

And it will be particularly interesting to see them realize many of their GO! favorites aren't in this game either. Despite promises of transfers.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize that. Its kinda crazy when you think about it. The Switch is the most powerful Nintendo console, but its being treated like it isn't. You see games like BoTW and its incredible scope and ambition. Even Smash could have easily said "You know what? Only half of them are in" but they went all in.

Anyways, kinda hoping for a remake or re-release of some of the DS/3DS games on the Switch.

Yeah, you see what they're doing with Mario, Zelda, Smash and even Fire Emblem of all things for this generation and then you look at Pokemon and it's like....really?

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you see what they're doing with Mario, Zelda, Smash and even Fire Emblem of all things for this generation and then you look at Pokemon and it's like....really?
Its funny - I would have got if like 80% of them were in and make them special events or "for a limited time only, find them in the wild area".

But it seems like they are going for the lowest common denominator.

Like what part of Sword/Shield has made anyone think this is only really possible on the Switch from a scope/ambition point of view.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
A lot of people seem to think "Great leap for Pokemon" = "Great Leap"

You can make a great leap from "Poor" and still land in "Mediocre"

Oct 27, 2017
I mean at the end of the day my sons of my favorite Pokémon (absol, spiritomb and tropius) are gone but I still have enough to make up a decent amount of teams. I'm also hoping that the new generation is good enough to have some keepers as well.

Was kinda hoping for a monster hunter situation where we get ultra sun and moon for switch and hoping sword and shield is different enough to soften the blow from the cuts. I understand the limitations of gamefreak but a person can dream.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to.Lets Go, I had a gut feeling, where I wasn't sure if Pokemon captured in LG would be transferrable at all, so I never got invested in shiny hunting. When Home was announced, I thought, maybe should put some time to doing more shiny hunting. Of course then the whole dexit thing happened a week later.

In a way I'm happy I dropped it when I did since the overall experience felt like....the new fossil pokemon.

I borrowed Let's Go Eevee from my sister a few months ago and, yeah, I didn't get far into it. It just wasn't grabbing me. Maybe its because I played it after the Pokemon cuts were announced and that was getting me down, but it just wasn't working for me. I'm pretty much at a point with my Gen 1 nostalgia that if I'm going to play a Gen 1 game it's going to be the originals because that's where my nostalgia lies and I enjoy playing them in their original form, jank and all. There's a charm to it even if they are horribly outdated.

It actually kinda blew my mind when they announced that the virtual console releases of the old games would allow the Pokemon in them to be moved into the 3DS games. I never thought they would actually bridge the only games lacking compatibility with the rest of the series. It of course amounts to almost nothing now, but it was a nice sentiment while it lasted.

Magni

Confirms I'm not buying a Switch for these. Pokémon was one of my favorite games growing up, spent hours on Serebii, but it looks like I finally outgrew the franchise.

I look forward to teaching my kids about the great Pokémon we used to have in a couple years.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I borrowed Let's Go Eevee from my sister a few months ago and, yeah, I didn't get far into it. It just wasn't grabbing me. Maybe its because I played it after the Pokemon cuts were announced and that was getting me down, but it just wasn't working for me. I'm pretty much at a point with my Gen 1 nostalgia that if I'm going to play a Gen 1 game it's going to be the originals because that's where my nostalgia lies and I enjoy playing them in their original form, jank and all. There's a charm to it even if they are horribly outdated.

It actually kinda blew my mind when they announced that the virtual console releases of the old games would allow the Pokemon in them to be moved into the 3DS games. I never thought they would actually bridge the only games lacking compatibility with the rest of the series. It of course amounts to almost nothing now, but it was a nice sentiment while it lasted.

Weirdly enough, the glitchy aspects are part of what made me consider just sticking to the OG games. I considered using Tauros and Persian because of how Crits worked.

The fact that the core mechanics for captures were still operating underneath the new capture method is part of why I compared it to the new fossils.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Toxicroak, Flygon, Noivern, Tyranitar are the only four out of my favorites/mainstays that made it in.
Alakazam, Magmar, Raikou, Sceptile, Infernape, Nidoking, Aggron did not make the cut.

Im mainly pissed about Alakazam, He's my all time favorite, has Abra ever been excluded from a pokemon game?

All in all i guess that's not too bad. I'm eye 3 or 4 new pokemon that I might like from the new gen.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Toxicroak, Flygon, Noivern, Tyranitar are the only four out of my favorites/mainstays that made it in.
Alakazam, Magmar, Raikou, Sceptile, Infernape, Nidoking, Aggron did not make the cut.

Im mainly pissed about Alakazam, He's my all time favorite, has Abra ever been excluded from a pokemon game?

All in all i guess that's not too bad. I'm eye 3 or 4 new pokemon that I might like from the new gen.

No Pokémon has ever been excluded from a Pokémon game before.