• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always love the wins that are "how the hell did that happen"

image.png

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Not to rock the boat too much, but I don't agree about Kiriko. She's not the only character that constantly gets cosmetics, hell she isn't even the only OW2 character that does - Junker Queen gets a lot as well. I also don't agree that her popularity is forced. People genuinely like her character and they naturally gravitate to characters they like, same as it's ever been in Overwatch. I feel like a lot of what is being said can be applied to several other characters and this more comes down to personal preference of not liking the character and thus finding things maybe more egregious than they are.

Overwatch has always been unbalanced in the order of the Hero Gallery, it's really not a Kiriko specific problem. People use to complain how Tracer got a new skin every event, or that Mercy got yet another legendary. Other characters still ended up building up a lot of cosmetics over time.

With all that said, I do kinda wonder if everything is going alright in the cosmetics department. Each new character seems to enter the game with less than the last. Venture's hero gallery reminds me of the PTR era - where a character would be playable for testing purposes for a few weeks with a lower number of cosmetics, and would have a bunch more upon entering the live client.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Played a few Clash matches, so far so good as a mode. Seems fun!

I think there will be matches where you have a frustrating loss because your team was doing so well, but you're not able to take the last point which leads to a huge turnaround when your team can't group up for like three points straight, but hopefully people will learn how to get through the mode a little more strategically as time goes on

It also seems prone to players just running in over and over because the mode is relatively fast compared to other modes

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Is anyone else having issue with twitch drops? I claimed both highlight intro and victory pose but they are showing as locked in the game.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pfft. What plot?

This game is nearly 10 years old and we haven't gotten past "Finally, OW is back together", which is basically the next scene of the intro of the first game that didn't progress for 6 years.

And I just think that's wasted potential. Creating a story to go along with status quo maintaining element of a perpetual multiplayer game (Remember how they said they were considering the possibility of killing characters, like Reinhardt, but maintained that even if he died, he'd still be playable as regular in the game? That would have been so weird), but I still remember how in the old days I *ate* the lore that dropped with Ana's release. I was literally so excited that I almost missed my job interview because I kept wanting to check for whatever insight she'd give on the old OW crew.

I don't know about anyone else, but if they just had 1 actual story event a year...just one event where Doomfist actually *does* something that moves the plot forward or if some character relationships progress like if Genji and Hanzo make up, or Ashe starts a gang war with Los Muertos, or *something*, it would have continued to compete with fortnite as the multiplayer game to play, because people are or were invested in these characters. Instead, we get nothing. Or even worse than nothing....

No, the real cherry on top is this: The story of OW is so poorly told that there's a dozen loose plot threads that have no significance or meaning but are dangling anyway, characters get retconned on a whim like how Dva used to be a hardcore gamer that live streamed her battles but her cinematic made her a traumatized war vet that needs to learn a lesson about teamwork (by which she does because she solves the plot problem herself btw). We have as big a missed opportunity as a story can have and the real cherry on top is that Kiriko is somehow the worst of them all. Even worse than that one time they accidentally implied Cassidy was 150+ years old.

Kiriko's very backstory is something that somehow becomes a plothole in a story with no plot. Like, Kiriko's mom doesn't believe in the spirit fox demon. But like...the Shimada empire is built around how they are able to control the dragons. And the dragons aren't like a secret, they are pretty open about it. And more than that, despite the magic seeming nature of them, all OW abilities were supposed to be advanced technology, so it's not like the dragons are actual spirits, they're just hard light or whatever nonsense they use to explain them. So, Kiriko's mom not believing in Kiriko's spirit fox.....like, what is that, what even is that?
I like all the characters for their personalities, but things like this make me question anyone who says the like the lore lol

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
Haven't played ranked since season 6 (was masters then) but placed plat 3 this season after a 5-5, guess it's time to grind again.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Illari's primary feels sluggish again, and i just got used to her new fire-rate that she got in mid S9 patch. There was absolutely no need to increase recovery of it and mess with her fire rate again.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
DPS players cry too much when Supports can actually defend themselves in an FPS game, so Illari has to feel like trash again

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate that you have to do QP All Roles so much to get as much XP as possible, now more than ever since they removed so many weekly challenges.

I mean, I get it, people would otherwise stick to their preferred role(which is most likely NOT tank), but still... If it was up to me, I would stay in Mystery Heroes and nothing else.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that you have to do QP All Roles so much to get as much XP as possible, now more than ever since they removed so many weekly challenges.

I mean, I get it, people would otherwise stick to their preferred role(which is most likely NOT tank), but still... If it was up to me, I would stay in Mystery Heroes and nothing else.

The BP is so quick, especially compared to other games, that I just don't need to care much unless they get a better title than Temptation one day

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Is Venture able to get themselves out of Rein grab? I had a Clash match last night where I picked Rein, got multiple charge grabs onto Venture, but when it hit the wall it did nothing and they would just pop out of it. I couldn't tell if it was bugged, or Venture has an escape, or what.

Clash seems okay. I like the map aesthetics more than I like the match pacing, but I think no one knew what they were doing so it was kinda just chaos. Will have to see how it plays once everyone is more familiar with the mode.

ProjectPick

Oct 26, 2017
Is Venture able to get themselves out of Rein grab? I had a Clash match last night where I picked Rein, got multiple charge grabs onto Venture, but when it hit the wall it did nothing and they would just pop out of it. I couldn't tell if it was bugged, or Venture has an escape, or what.

Clash seems okay. I like the map aesthetics more than I like the match pacing, but I think no one knew what they were doing so it was kinda just chaos. Will have to see how it plays once everyone is more familiar with the mode.

Venture gets over health when they use abilities, which can put them over the 275 damage that a pin does. So that could have been what was happening.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Ball is so much fun now. Hope they won't nerf his new grapple tech.

Also...it's time they nerf Orisa abit. She's way too all-around strong now. Maybe gives a longer cooldown on her javelin or something.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The BP is so quick, especially compared to other games, that I just don't need to care much unless they get a better title than Temptation one day

I was under the impression that it wasn't as fast now since we lost so many weekly challenges giving 5k XP. And if I want the extra XP rewards from completing a certain number of weekly challenges, I have no choice to do All Roles since I don't do competitive and we are otherwise limited in our options.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So... They read the market well and made a sound business decision as well as a fun as heck to play hero with a great design?
I also don't agree that her popularity is forced. People genuinely like her character and they naturally gravitate to characters they like, same as it's ever been in Overwatch.
I mean, are we going to act like Overwatch was created in a vacuum, that the artists nor the audiences don't have biases, and that each character had a perfectly equivalent chance of being popular enough to warrant equal attention by the devs just because we like this game and its earnest nature?

"People just gravitate to characters they like." "They read the market well." Gee, where have we all heard that before?

Let's all be real. Symmetra is a dark-skinned Indian woman. Sojourn is a Black woman. Neither ever had a chance of competing with someone like Mercy, Tracer, or Kiriko, hence why on average these characters get more cosmetics than they do (although I give Tracer a pass. She's the actual mascot of the franchise.) So the message to dark-skinned women players is that we're here basically only here to buck the charges, not to actually receive equivalent treatment.

Overwatch is a game that's supposed to be about representation, with a message that everyone has something to contribute no matter who they are. That ostensibly means you're going to have underrepresented audience members gravitating towards the game by default. But the game also exists within a capitalist environment with capitalist goals in mind, meaning that the thesis of the game is always going to be hamstrung and hypocritical in many regards.

We cannot pretend like certain characters don't already pander to preconceived biases and stereotypes which in turn are partly rooted in existing systems of prejudice. That's why characters like Kiriko get showered with things every season, and yet if you're significantly interested in less popular demographics and cultures, good luck to you, buddy. Hell there's a significant chance that if you're Asian, your shit is going to be slapped onto white characters before they're given to the few characters that might represent you!

And yes, she's not the only one to receive this treatment. Mercy is one good example (and frankly she annoys me on a conceptual level for similar reasons.) But at the very least, what Mercy has going for her is that she's actually an interesting fucking character. Good backstory, good development, fun personality. Kiriko is a good character only in her short. In game she's an obnoxious asshole. Literally the only character in the roster who I just don't like on the basis of their personality. She broke the streak.

Even characters who are annoying from a gameplay perspective almost always have their characterization going for them, and that was part of the magic of the game's appeal. Widow's sharp bluntness and her sympathetic backstory, the whole comedic dynamic between Roadhog and Junkrat. These are likeable characters even if they make your gameplay experience miserable. Kiriko is someone who I know I'd have to check in real life. She is the conglomeration of the new team's absolute worst writing habits. Just weird, nonsensical, Marvel-like snark and an unearned sense of superiority. Fucking hate her. So that new highlight intro she has? Actually rage inducing lol.

Tl;dr, maybe one day Team Four will convince me they give a damn about Lucio on a cultural front and give us a modicum of the shit that someone with a magic fox as a pet has. Like damn, a whole ass interesting country getting outcompeted by fucking Naruto. Sad.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
OW on steam is steadily increasing its player count, Closing in on the all time peak
aV3UNRl.png

I won't be surprised if it breaks its player peak by the weekend.

If it doesn't, once Chinese players are actually allowed to play the game again without resorting to crazy work arounds we should definitely see that record broken again.

I know people have their issues with the game and lord knows they've done everything they possibly could to fuck it all up, but it geniunely excites me that the game seems to be on the mend.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Kiriko is probably the character I play as mostly for their overtuned kit and simply being consistently good, while not giving a flying fudge one way or the other over her as a character
See, I'm not even being successfully pandered to with her design by committee vibes,and yet, here I am still using her frequently.
Not that there's fundamentally anything wrong with that

Yet I think it does help that the sheer pumping out of content for her over others puts her more on my radar, I don't particularly like her default design much, but oh buddy have Blizz gone above and beyond with skins so anyone can find their Kiriko vibe, one of, if not the best mythic skins! part of multiple collabs already, numerous highlight intros with an actually realistic chance to see them in a PotG (cries in Ana and Lifeweaver)
Meanwhile Sojourn, the apparent new face of OW2 feels like an afterthought by comparison, their biggest push for her since launch being "GET THIS BONUS SKIN THAT COMPLETELY HIDES THAT YOU'RE PLAYING SOJOURN"

even my white male arse can't help but raise an eyebrow

Always love the wins that are "how the hell did that happen"

image.png
lol, that Ana worked beyond the call of duty through the DPS passive to no avail

had a match two days ago in quickplay where I was damage on attack, Junker Town, and we were getting absolutely rolled by a Widow and Mercy boosted Ashe in that sniper benefitting hellscape, we somehow won the game in overtime despite the K/D being like 20 for Ashe and 18 for Widow, vs me and my other DPS' miserable 7 and 8 kills, while our Rein was off going unga bunga with a boostio for every point prior to the final one so it was a split team most of the time (could've used that shield huh)
I just went switched to Mei after realising how limited my options were and kept walling them off as we moved the payload along.
Matches like that where you just don't quite get the result when you look at the actual numbers, we looked dreadful by comparison.

I noticed this too actually. Made for some very slow games where we couldn't secure many kills.
Sometimes I find myself only realising that they've had a lifeweaver tucked away for multiple team fights and it's like "oh...OHHHH, that's why thse people aren't dying"
Man can be very subtle while putting in work.

I would've begged for one yesterday myself for that ranged support when playing damage, I keep getting Mercy players that tend to have a favoured teammate, I'm playing damage and am right here with Doomfist but he's the one you're glued to with damage boost? him? have you seen how his offence works? yeah okay, see how that works out for ya

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I know people have their issues with the game and lord knows they've done everything they possibly could to fuck it all up, but it geniunely excites me that the game seems to be on the mend.
I remember one of the content creators, probably Flats or Stylosa, saying that we needed to give things about a year to a year and a half to see whether or not they could turn things around. The game's development has been caught between mass firings and hirings and the knowledge gaps that brings, deadlines from the old team still needing to be contractually fulfilled, Bobby Kotick's bullshit and how that fucked not just team morale but what tasks were even due on any given day and whether or not there would even be people to get it done, the Microsoft buyout, and more.

The things that we've asked for regarding things like the Battle Pass or competitive and the like were never just going to be requests that could be fulfilled with the snap of a finger, because the team was likely dealing with an old-ass, ever-changing docket of things to get to first, much of it likely being direct orders from higher ups they couldn't veto, all while trying to service a community and wider gaming populous that was never going to take things like this into consideration and give them the benefit of the doubt.

But sure enough, here we are about that time later, and the game is pretty much exponentially better from a PvP and communications perspective to where we were at launch. Game development is hard and takes time, and that challenge is compounded upon in a live service environment where you've got a million deadlines staring you down in perpetuity. Godspeed to Team Four. I'm just happy they're smiling and having fun in the dev updates again, like holy shit.

Meanwhile Sojourn, the apparent new face of OW2 feels like an afterthought by comparison, their biggest push for her since launch being "GET THIS BONUS SKIN THAT COMPLETELY HIDES THAT YOU'RE PLAYING SOJOURN"
Imagine being a founding leader of Overwatch, one of the most effective and highly trained soldiers on Earth, and leader that people like even Winston look up to, and getting outdone by donut girl. Imagine actually having a distinguished career and reputation and it not mattering at all. Imagine having a real canine companion and you STILL can't get cosmetics. (I need the orange sweater Sojourn skin pronto goddammit!)

Like, the sheer disrespect. 🤣

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a founding leader of Overwatch, one of the most effective and highly trained soldiers on Earth, and leader that people like even Winston look up to, and getting outdone by donut girl. Imagine actually having a distinguished career and reputation and it not mattering at all. Imagine having a real canine companion and you STILL can't get cosmetics.

Like, the sheer disrespect. 🤣
By christmas we'll get her cozy sweater fit from the CGI video as an overpriced Epic skin awkwardly painted onto her standard model, In a years time we'll get the serving coffee highlight intro, in two years time her doggo Murphy will make it into a victory pose, in three years time, she'll finally join the launch lasses Junker and Kiri with a mythic.

If she were in the Kiriko production line of cosmetics, we'd have had all of these by now and more

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sojourn is such a fun character to play too. I don't think she ever got a BP skin so far(maybe 1, most likely an epic one)? Yet Widow must be at like 5 or 6 now. Truly don't get why the devs are putting so many legendary Widow skins on the BP, give a chance to other neglected characters like Sojourn or Brigitte at least. I know Brigitte finally got one this season, but it's still just an epic.

Spinluck

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Kiriko was 100% forced lmao.

You can even go back to her reveal thread here and see people joking about how the OW devs know their fanbase.

They couldn't make a more boring ass character that pandered to this fanbase more than her if they tried.

She also gets a shit ton of skins every season, some are absolute trash and even worse than Zarya's but because she gets so many it doesn't matter. She also has never been a bad pick, every season she's either good or great. Players can like who they like but lets not act like they didn't put her over in a major way.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Kiriko was 100% forced lmao.

You can even go back to her reveal thread here and see people joking about how the OW devs know their fanbase.

They couldn't make a more boring ass character that pandered to this fanbase more than her if they tried.
Absolute fucking plant of a character.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... They read the market well and made a sound business decision as well as a fun as heck to play hero with a great design?
no they saw that a lot of people bought cosmetics for dva and mercy and made another character like that. and it's not hard to put together that a sound business decision may not be the best artistic decision. we just had the first nb hero launch with barely any cosmetics in service of propping up heroes that already have a ton.
Not to rock the boat too much, but I don't agree about Kiriko. She's not the only character that constantly gets cosmetics, hell she isn't even the only OW2 character that does - Junker Queen gets a lot as well. I also don't agree that her popularity is forced. People genuinely like her character and they naturally gravitate to characters they like, same as it's ever been in Overwatch. I feel like a lot of what is being said can be applied to several other characters and this more comes down to personal preference of not liking the character and thus finding things maybe more egregious than they are.

Yes, a lot of people like her character because she's based off of the kinds of characters people already like. that's the point being made. She was designed to be a safe bet from the very beginning. I don't see the problem with pointing that out. I'm a mark for bog standard cyborg Ninja character Genji and I own it.
With all that said, I do kinda wonder if everything is going alright in the cosmetics department. Each new character seems to enter the game with less than the last. Venture's hero gallery reminds me of the PTR era - where a character would be playable for testing purposes for a few weeks with a lower number of cosmetics, and would have a bunch more upon entering the live client.

With layoffs and team departures expect this downturn to continue and blizzard to continue to prioritize the characters that with garuntee a return IE: kiri. You'll continue to be fed well.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They ain't fooling me with the cognitive dissonance between her cinematic and in-game persona.
My conspiracy theory is that- since the shorts take awhile to produce, from scripting and pre-production to production and coinciding marketing, etc.- that Kiriko's personality in the short was originally established by some or maybe even all of the original writing team. Like, had things worked out with the Team Four regarding key members actually staying onboard, the softer, justice-focused, donut-loving Kiriko in the short is the character we were actually gonna get in the game itself. (I imagine the same is true to an extent for Junker Queen, because game Queen is far more terrifyingly unhinged and, well, stupider, than the Queen of the short). Coupled with weird discrepencies between many of the original casts' portrayals across Overwatch 1 and 2, and basic lore mistakes like Kiriko's age, it just feels like there was a really rough transition between writing teams and no one kept a damn bible around.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I don't mind Kiriko being super popular in pick rate. She's a pick like Solider to me where I go her if I don't know who else to play as support and I just need someone who will be pretty good at everything.

I don't find her annoying to play against. But i'm also someone who finds her design and skins cute so that does bias me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the anti-kiriko sentiment in the thread lol.

Kinda makes me want to play her more though.

Sojourn is my favorite character though, and she does deserve more skins.

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
So much Kiriko slander, at least she's fun to play unlike the other newly introduced heroes (have yet to try Venture).

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the anti-kiriko sentiment in the thread lol.

Kinda makes me want to play her more though.

Sojourn is my favorite character though, and she does deserve more skins.
- people explain that Kiriko gets an outsized amount of attention compared to the rest of the cast for a multitude of obvious reasons
- claims to not be able understand the posts explaining this in detail
- literally complains about one of the most ignored characters not getting the same attention because they don't check the same boxes Kiriko does

giphy.gif

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's all be real. Symmetra is a dark-skinned Indian woman. Sojourn is a Black woman. Neither ever had a chance of competing with someone like Mercy, Tracer, or Kiriko, hence why on average these characters get more cosmetics than they do (although I give Tracer a pass. She's the actual mascot of the franchise.) So the message to dark-skinned women players is that we're here basically only here to buck the charges, not to actually receive equivalent treatment.

So yeah, good post, no need to say much more to most of it. The only thing I needed to check was the Sym part, because in my head, she gets a shitload of skins. And it turns out, you're right, she doesn't. But my god, almost every skin of hers is a straight up banger since OW2 launch so they stick out in my mind a lot. Adding Junker to the list when I unlock it….

Unlike Sojourn, who yeah, has Barista and Gumshoe and that's about it really.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kiriko is one of those types of characters that was designed in a lab with such specific atomic precision that you KNOW without any shadow of a doubt she was made to be bait

Shes a western gacha game character

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, good post, no need to say much more to most of it. The only thing I needed to check was the Sym part, because in my head, she gets a shitload of skins. And it turns out, you're right, she doesn't. But my god, almost every skin of hers is a straight up banger since OW2 launch so they stick out in my mind a lot. Adding Junker to the list when I unlock it….

Unlike Sojourn, who yeah, has Barista and Gumshoe and that's about it really.
The only dark-skinned woman in this cast who seems to consistently gets skins is Ana, but I chalk that up to her absolute banger of a design shape and her usefulness in game leading to a high play rate, rather than any kind of cult-like popularity to the level that Kiriko has. Gamer dorks aren't trying to fawn over an old lady.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
we just had the first nb hero launch with barely any cosmetics in service of propping up heroes that already have a ton.
.... First trans character, and one of the best additions to the cast gameplay and personality wise period, and not even an Epic at launch?

giphy.gif

THIS SHIT IS RIGGED, MAN. 😭

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The only dark-skinned woman in this cast who seems to consistently gets skins is Ana, but I chalk that up to her absolute banger of a design shape and her usefulness in game leading to a high play rate, rather than any kind of cult-like popularity to the level that Kiriko has. Gamer dorks aren't trying to fawn over an old lady.
Pharah gets a metric fuck ton of skins as well

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I love playing as Kiriko specifically because she is such a little shit. Her and DVa both are such toxic shitheads and I love it. Fantastic voice lines by default plus plenty that are fun to spam when you are winning.

Also they are going to make all the money whenever they decide to drop this as a costume.

xFdSQTD.png

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.... First trans character, and one of the best additions to the cast gameplay and personality wise period, and not even an Epic at launch?

giphy.gif

THIS SHIT IS RIGGED, MAN. 😭
I will be genuinely surprised if Space Ranger doesnt launch with some cool shit. Thats another character that is blatantly "intentionally" designed