• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Do we know if they are removing coins? I could see them keeping them as something you earn per match or through challenges. There still needs to be a way to earn the current Overwatch 1 cosmetics and possibly some default 2 ones, right?

Also why isn't the Watchpoint pack like 10 bucks cheaper for those that already had bought the Legendary Edition? Come ooooon.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if they are removing coins? I could see them keeping them as something you earn per match or through challenges. There still needs to be a way to earn the current Overwatch 1 cosmetics and possibly some default 2 ones, right?

Also why isn't the Watchpoint pack like 10 bucks cheaper for those that already had bought the Legendary Edition? Come ooooon.
There are coins.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
I am aware that loot boxes are predatory, but compared to them, the battle pass seems worse to my experience:

The main difference between this and something like Fortnite is that OW has so many characters.
Let's say that I main a certain character and I actually care about earning a nice skin for them. If there is a battle pass season l, maybe I get a skin for my character at lvl 55 (on the free track). At the start of the season that's kinda discouraging as it seems like I am tens of hours away from reaching that reward.
In contrast with loot boxes, the reward is not guaranteed but I might get it after a day of playing if I get lucky.

No system is fair to the F2P player but the latter certainly seems more "fun" imo. With a battle pass there is a lot more pressure to actually spend money if you want a skin. Because it will probably be in the store for "only 24 hours/week" or whatever. Also a lot of people will not spend the time to max out the BP, which puts even more pressure if they allow you to purchase BP levels.

Funny thing is, back when OW came out I would not have expected to defend loot boxes :D

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
No, I just don't want them to make the original game I know and love cease to exist. Unbalanced or balanced, the current version of the first game is something I want to continue existing. I've never been exactly sold on this sequel as I'm not even sure it knows what it wants to be other than Activision demanding money out of the IP and the fact it's making the prior game cease to exist entirely sours me even more when I was willing to be excited for 2 in spite of those things.
Totally agree with your points here

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So with no more loot boxes, how will we obtain skins?

I assume with OW2 the skins from OW1 still work, yes? Are they only obtainable via OW1 loot boxes which won't go away for people who want those cosmetics, or will they be earnable via in game currency you can grind?

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
ugh, battlepass? and NO lootboxes? that's a bad choice, ill explain my opinion.

I'm a gold icon player i've played 1450 hours, i haven't put any money into lootboxes. everything i've earned was gaining a level, boom heres a lootbox or season events or the refresh win 9 games get 3 lootboxes... this has made it pretty darn easy to get all the special skins dropped in lootboxes!

And i usually get enough coins to buy at least 2 golden skins during each event if i didnt get them in drops. so heres the issue, with the battlepass now... i have to buy it to get said skins i normally get for free just playing? i understand there will be a free tier BUT is the free tier giving me coins to then unlock gold skins or skins on the paid tier of battlepass?

also damn man i been unboxing some the past week already i had 250 lootboxes just stacked up.

2ffe5d5dc9b743cb5b22e1bf9a4f673b.png

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
So I'm going to assume it's going to work similar to how you used currency to purchase skins. Only now the limited legendary skins will only be available during certain times and you can purchase the currency.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Blame DPS players for making open queue a miserable fucking experience for Tank and Support players.

yep. Role queue will forever be my favorite thing the devs have done to improve the experience. No longer will my games be ruined at the start due to 4 people picking dps and not swapping. That and if they do swap they can't play the other roles, and its a loss anyway.

so you think you can earn currency in the BP to buy the next one ? And former skins you could have missed ?

because if there are no lootboxes, no way of earning randomly previous stuff. So either big fomo of missing on content or a pay real money for coins to get past stuff

Anything is possible, but I'd be surprised if you can earn the full amount to get the next battle pass, unless it requires completing the entire battle pass which I assume will take a long time.

Only other game I play with a battle pass is Valorant, which isn't a Blizzard game, but their battle pass items only come around once and if you miss it then you miss it. But 4 past regular store items rotate in every day. However that game has both a battle pass and store items you can only directly buy, not sure if OW2 will have that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
yep. Role queue will forever be my favorite thing the devs have done to improve the experience. No longer will my games be ruined at the start due to 4 people picking dps and not swapping. That and if they do swap they can't play the other roles, and its a loss anyway.
"Can we get A tank? A SINGLE one? No?......... You want me to swap off the only support?"

Almost every single match. Fuck that shit.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard seems hellbent on changing everything about Overwatch except Role Queue.

It brought me back from my only large break from the game. Of course they're keeping their best improvement.

(Looks at Hearthstone Battle Passes)

Well, I've not got the best of news for you...

They do seem to be doing a lot better than Hearthstone with how they're talking.... but yeah.

It's amazing the creators of the most popular MMO have had a hard time adjusting to live service

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
okay that gamespot interview where they talk a bit more about the pve has me feeling a little bit better about that portion of the game

i really do hope what they put out for the official 1.0 launch is a meaty campaign with plenty of reason to rerun it instead of a one-and-done 3-5-hour thing and we'd have to wait for another 2-3 months to get the next part that's just the same size

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Loved the animated video, Junker Queen is great.

F2P is whatever as long as I don't need to buy or grind for every new hero they add. I'm fine with missing out on cosmetics and just using default skins (they're usually my favorites) and whatever freebies I get plus the occasional battlepass here and there when I'm playing the game a lot.

Edit- wow the Watchpoint pack price is nasty with them not including a version without OW1. They know they will sucker a lot of people into paying for an OW1 copy they don't need just to play the next OW2 beta day one. Sad to see them already being scummy like this.

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really like everything they had to show and I understand if F2P is the model they want to go with that might make it easier to push the narrative and content going forward. That's fine. I also really enjoyed hearing their enthusiasm of the new characters they are coming up with, like Junker Queen.

Eliminating the lootbox system for a battle pass system though? *sigh*

I played so much of OW1 over the years. I wouldn't mind just playing casually from time to time now. However, I don't realistically see locking content behind a season pass being a carrot dangling from the stick that I'd care about. The real issue is that every live service game now has dailys and battle passes, that I can only devote my day to like two or three of these things. In fact, I'm fulfilling so many dailys and battle passes, I'm barely touching other games that I want to play.

Depending on how fast you level up the battle pass will determine whether I stick around or will drop completely.

Aug 12, 2019
Classic Arcade modes will likely transport over (we saw the Arcade section in the beta) so you're not missing anything if you just want casual nonsense.

Also, how do you reckon they keep everyone able to play together on two separate launchers? You want them to run double the servers to manage both games? Why?

Ultimately, Overwatch 1 is not really "ceasing to exist" anymore than it already has with the copious updates it's gotten over the years. The Overwatch of May 2016 is not the Overwatch of today; even in Workshop you cannot recreate some of the same shit that dropped at launch. Likely, if the decision was never made to create a "sequel", the character reworks, 5v5, story missions etc. would've been there anyway. Sojourn for example had been done for months and feasibly could have been in OW1. Same with 5v5.

This is essentially a big ass expansion of shit we should've been getting dropping in October at once with a battle pass system and a promise that devs will crunch to bring us shit every 9 weeks. It's not really a separate game in the traditional regard. You're not losing much unless you absolutely did live for double shield meta and Flashy McFlashbang everywhere. In which case your meta experience dying is for the good of the collective.

It's simple, they don't keep everyone together because Overwatch 2 PvP is Free to Play anyway. Everyone who wants to move on can and those who enjoy the original can play the original game or even have Blizzard open up the options for the community to run their own servers and stuff to keep the original game alive in some format. Deleting the game from existence to move everyone over to Overwatch 2 just doesn't allow for any of it. And sure, it would cost Blizzard some minimal amount of resources to maintain the game in the state it's currently in, but I think they can easily justify allowing the original to keep existing for a while longer and see if there is anyone who would hold on to it like myself. Servers aren't that bad to maintain for games and Blizzard sure has the capacity to do that better than most honestly.

I know how much Overwatch has changed, and how many heroes are very different compared to launch. That's honestly one of my least favorite things of the Overwatch life span is how much they've completely gutted or changed characters. "Come Get Your Armor" is forever lost to me and I can't forgive Blizzard for that. BUT, Overwatch 2 is an even more substantial reset, to the point where it seems like everyone is getting some changes and most characters are getting heavy and substantial changes. I recognize we cannot get the true original experience back, but I don't see why we also have to embrace complete change of everything in the process. I don't particularly love it in fighting games, and I really don't love it here in Overwatch where characters might as well not even exist post rework compared to what they were gameplay wise.

I don't like have a huge amount of love for the meta as it stands right now, but like, I don't want the original game just deleted out of existence for the new Overwatch 2 world. The meta is garbage, but there is a fun to that garbage I wouldn't mind preserving and letting all the original stuff left just be preserved in this weird old time capsule of Overwatch. I'm absolutely preferential to that regardless of how I feel about the meta (and I don't honestly care about the meta that much, same as Smash, just give me fun stuff and I'll make do with it even if the game drives me wild).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Anyone know how much 2000 OW2 credits will convert to in USD? Trying to figure out if the Watchpoint pack is worth it.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
New changes seem pretty neat. I've never played a game with a Battle Pass before so I have no idea what to expect from that to be honest. Gonna be nice to finally have them switch over to the new engine soon, the last beta made me pretty optimistic with the future of the game.

The lack of a Switch beta is pretty funny to me though. I play on there from time to time since it's the only version of OW besides PC that you can use Gyro controls with. I wonder what's gonna happen to that version if OW1 is being replaced entirely.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Bought the watchpoint pack on playstation but it still allows me to add to cart and buy it again. Not sure what's going on there.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So with no more loot boxes, how will we obtain skins?

I assume with OW2 the skins from OW1 still work, yes? Are they only obtainable via OW1 loot boxes which won't go away for people who want those cosmetics, or will they be earnable via in game currency you can grind?
"30,000 overwatch coins (BEST VALUE) now only $199.99! Bonus 1,000 coins just for purchasing!"
It will be the OWL skin model. Impossible to buy exactly the amount of currency you need for the skins you want.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
ill take pve but that showing convinced me that overwatch is a pvp game at its core and there's no getting around that fundamental fact, which will make virtually all pve content feel second class in comparison

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's simple, they don't keep everyone together because Overwatch 2 PvP is Free to Play anyway.
This literally goes against the PR angle they're working at. They want everyone on every console on the same client so that friends aren't split up even more than they already are (because they still get shit from tank duos). So honestly, if the majority of your friend group wanted to move on to OW 2 in this scenario, you'd just say "it's been fun but I'll never play with you again k bai." Wut?

I recognize we cannot get the true original experience back, but I don't see why we also have to embrace complete change of everything in the process.
I mean, this is the basic reality of a live service game. Overwatch isn't a finished release and was never intended as such. The moment you start adding new characters, you have to look at balance, which necessitates change. The moment the player base figures out the meta, you have to figure out how to shake it up, which necessitates change. The moment you notice a character is not getting played that much and the community actively bullies the mains because that character is considered a throw pick, that necessitates change. The moment you release something that's completely broken and resets the entire game around its existence, that necessitates change. Would you literally have rathered them just go away and never touch the game again after May 2016? No speed increase to Dva? No Ana at all? No Hollywood map? No competitive mode? No seasonal events?

I don't like have a huge amount of love for the meta as it stands right now, but like, I don't want the original game just deleted out of existence for the new Overwatch 2 world.
The original game has already been deleted out of existence, and the game has slowly morphed away into what is now a far more robust, better designed, and more balanced and fairer version of the software that dropped all those years ago. And, like, don't get me wrong. I'm attached to the game too in a multitude of ways. But I'm not so emotionally beholden to the code itself that I would rather Blizzard just abandon updating it. They've already done that for three miserable years, and look at the mess that approach has made for the game's relevancy, for the community's morale, for the content creators and professionals. Seriously, this game and franchise was about two steps away from just dying altogether. I want this franchise to succeed, and they're finally giving us reasons to actually look forward to the future. So long as I get to continue experiencing the game and world I've grown attached to, then to hell with OW1.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I still kind of like the original idea of OW1 owners getting OW2 PvP for free and just paying for the PvE.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I still kind of like the original idea of OW1 owners getting OW2 PvP for free and just paying for the PvE.
That seems like what is still happening. Except instead of paying for the PvE all together at once, missions and lore will be cordoned off into Battle Passes.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little annoyed they don't let you pick multiple platforms for the beta. I picked PC but then saw they're gonna focus on consoles for this beta, now I'm wishing I picked PS5 for a better chance to get in. I'd be happy with either as long as I got to try it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I played so much of OW1 over the years. I wouldn't mind just playing casually from time to time now. However, I don't realistically see locking content behind a season pass being a carrot dangling from the stick that I'd care about. The real issue is that every live service game now has dailys and battle passes, that I can only devote my day to like two or three of these things. In fact, I'm fulfilling so many dailys and battle passes, I'm barely touching other games that I want to play.

This is exactly how I feel too. I hate time gated content (seasonal stuff aside), and it just leads me to not wanting to play the game. I love carrots on sticks, but not if those carrots are only on the stick for a small amount of time until they go rotten. I significantly prefer eating the carrots at my own pace.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
It all comes down to pricing for me. Loot boxes suck and 100% are gambling so them being removed is a good thing. If I see a cool skin I want I should be able to buy it, simple as that. As for battle passes they can be really good value if done right, but we'll have to see.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, asking 40 bucks for a pack we really can't properly value right now to fomo people into beta access because the other beta sign-ups are purposefully made awful, not a great start imo. Not that I'm willing to throw any money current Blizzard's way before I know exactly what I'm getting.

I'm still a bit sour on ow2. First beta wasn't that fun to me, new f2p model is gonna make it so I'm not actually earning new skins and stuff just from playing the game unless I pay in, as mostly a off-tank player 5v5 has made all my mains stressful and unfun to me, the real main draw of ow2 which is the pve is still missing in action. It will be nice to have a supported game again, but so far I'm not really feeling it yet.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm a little annoyed they don't let you pick multiple platforms for the beta. I picked PC but then saw they're gonna focus on consoles for this beta, now I'm wishing I picked PS5 for a better chance to get in. I'd be happy with either as long as I got to try it.
Sign up page says they're aiming to bring everyone in gradually over a few weeks.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Figured they were doing battle passes, it seems like a way around the lootbox/gambling thing (Ban's in some countries that might expand to others in the future) as they are directly selling you a feature that also tells you exactly what you're getting, as well as their new currency.

I just hope we can still earn currency at a similar rate by playing, buy skins with it like we could in OW1.
But it's highly likely they're looking to introduce longer term income and funnel people into wanting to buy the BP's or Skins directly.

I would honestly rather pay £40-£60 and have the same as before, we got such an amazing deal out of OW1, so many updates for free but I can see how this will benefit them more going forward, but the player is likely to get less for "free" in return.

But I still think overwatch does it right in terms of, I can pick this up and play whenever I want, with however many months or years of gaps and come back and not feel behind in progress or power. I don't need to grind to be competitive; it's just up to skill. No advantages, or disadvantages. At least for PVP anyway!

BearBobomb

Jun 3, 2022
Earth
Im so bummed that it really feels like they took 2 years off to work on story and PvE and those are now gonna be drip-fed seasonal releases.... major bummed

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, asking 40 bucks for a pack we really can't properly value right now to fomo people into beta access because the other beta sign-ups are purposefully made awful, not a great start imo. Not that I'm willing to throw any money current Blizzard's way before I know exactly what I'm getting.

I get that you're jaded and I don't blame you but some people are enjoying the game and are looking forward to OW2 based on what's been shown. The value of this pack isn't necessarily absurd either. $20 of the pack directly translates to $20 of in-game currency, $10 for the battle pass, and $5 for each of the two skins. That's $40 right there. OW1 has no monetary value nor does the beta access. That's not terrible for what's included, but if you'd rather wait and see how OW2 is then there's nothing wrong with that either.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I think is appropriate to remind everyone what F2P really means in this "era" from a business POV when consumer speak of "good value or a good deal":